Recommend me a Weapon Light

PDA

FIVETWOSEVEN
October 21, 2011, 09:09 AM
I've decided I should finally get a weapon light after I played with a Glock Weapon Light yesterday at a LGS. It didn't seem that bright though so what do you recommend for a light? I want one that is bright enough to easily disorient someone.

If you enjoyed reading about "Recommend me a Weapon Light" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Destructo6
October 21, 2011, 09:18 AM
Look at:

Surefire X300: small, lightweight, robust, expensive.

Streamlight TLR: large, robust, relatively inexpensive.

Blackhawk Xiphos: very small, lightweight, expensive, relatively fragile.

ForumSurfer
October 21, 2011, 09:52 AM
If I was going to use it heavily in repeated classes or use it in the course of a job (military, leo) that required me to mount it and run rounds through the weapon often with 100% reliability, I would go with a surefire x300.

If I was going to use it occasionally, only for one or two classes, just in case or my life didn't depend on it for frequent use (actually running rounds through the weapon on a daily basis with the light attached)...I'd buy a Streamlight TLR-1s. Actually, I did. It is tough as nails and has never let me down. Of course, I've only used it as a handheld light for doing work and attaching it to run some drills at night occasionally. It's very tough IMHO since it has been subjected to some regular work light use, I've dropped it on or in about everything imaginable and ran it through some muck like mud under the house when a pipe burst.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p188/johnnnyhgmail/DSCF1708.jpg

I've used mine heavily and it still works. Used hard, possibbly abused. For me, the money savings between the streamlight and surefire were worth it. But make no mistake, if a buddy asked me what I would recommend to take with him to work as an leo or soldier...I'd tell him to take the surefire x300.

swinokur
October 21, 2011, 10:07 AM
Another possible choice is the Insight Tech M3X LED. I like the easy on off without a screw clamp and the switch design. I think it falls between the Surefire and the Streamlight cost wise.

http://www.insighttechnology.com/

FIVETWOSEVEN
October 21, 2011, 12:02 PM
M3X looks the the winner for me, looks like it's also the brightest and thats what I'm looking for, thanks.

Zerodefect
October 21, 2011, 12:59 PM
I like the Surefire X300 pistol weaponlight.

Make sure you don't go too bright. 170 lumens is a bit much. The X300 I tried was at the absolute limit of brightness I'd want indoors. I prefere a dimmer 80 lumen E2D incan.

Jenrick
October 21, 2011, 05:30 PM
TLR-1 is the best buy for the money. I've put in excess of 25k rounds on mine with zero issues. In calumets from 9mm, .357 sig, .40, .45, and 5.56. Still works great and locks up tight as the first day I got it.

-Jenrick

SnowBlaZeR2
October 21, 2011, 07:11 PM
The X300 is the best light you can buy. It might not be the best for your use, but it doesn't get any better, even for what they're asking for them.

ShawnC
October 21, 2011, 08:19 PM
three words: duct tape, maglight.

I swear it will greatly reduce felt recoil...:evil:

CWL
October 21, 2011, 08:31 PM
I've decided I should finally get a weapon light after I played with a Glock Weapon Light yesterday at a LGS. It didn't seem that bright though so what do you recommend for a light? I want one that is bright enough to easily disorient someone.

Am I the only one disturbed by this intended application?

Pate
October 21, 2011, 08:38 PM
I have an Insight M6 LED. Very nice...

SnowBlaZeR2
October 21, 2011, 09:06 PM

Likely. ;)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Mr.Blue
October 21, 2011, 09:56 PM
My TLR-1 is great for my purposes, namely nightstand gun. It has 200 lumens of blinding power and is built very strong.

beatledog7
October 21, 2011, 10:27 PM
My home protection guns have a Streamlight TLR-2S and an Insight M3. Both are great lights.

FIVETWOSEVEN
October 21, 2011, 10:29 PM

It would be used in my HD setup, I would turn it on to ID a threat and when that happens, I don't want them to see good enough to shoot at the light and hit me.

M2 Carbine
October 21, 2011, 11:25 PM
I have several Streamlight TLR-2 (laser/lights). I'm a fan of gun mounted lasers, so when I bought the first gun mounted light I got the TLR-2.

The Streamlights have worked so well I haven't seen any reason to try another brand.

I now have them on everything from 22 pistols and rifles, to 12 ga shotguns.

I want one that is bright enough to easily disorient someone.
In the dark the light will blnd them but that may not stop them from launching bullets in your general direction.

This is an example of what the gun mounted light and better yet what the laser/light will do for you.
My back yard at night.
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/Backyardrangeatnight.jpg

25 yards.
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/SWMP22lightandlaserinthedark.jpg

SnowBlaZeR2
October 21, 2011, 11:27 PM
It would be used in my HD setup, I would turn it on to ID a threat and when that happens, I don't want them to see good enough to shoot at the light and hit me.
Old wives' tale anyways. Just buy a light that works for you and don't be scared into not using it by the internets. ;)

FIVETWOSEVEN
October 22, 2011, 12:09 AM
Not really, have you ever had a really bright light shined in your face? A friend did that once with a flickering light and I was still able to see where the light was coming from and when my other friend started to walk towards me cause I returning fire with my mag light. This was outside and it was just past sunset with no other lights.

jackpinesavages
October 22, 2011, 12:46 AM
Glock in one hand, Stinger in another.

SnowBlaZeR2
October 22, 2011, 11:24 AM
Not really, have you ever had a really bright light shined in your face? A friend did that once with a flickering light and I was still able to see where the light was coming from and when my other friend started to walk towards me cause I returning fire with my mag light. This was outside and it was just past sunset with no other lights.

I have, in training with sim rounds. If the light is at an angle where bad guy can hit you, you're already looking at him and pulling the trigger. If not, and his strategy is to shoot at the light as many warriors suggest, he's likely going to miss. This is, of course assuming he isn't robbing you with a weapon mounted light. This is why I have a Surefire on my SD weapons.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

MyGreenGuns
October 22, 2011, 11:33 AM
The biggest thing is not to CLEAR your home with the light on. It just points out to everyone where you are. I can navigate my house in the dark, but its better to stay put and let the intruder walk into your line of fire. Flash the light at him from a point off-center to your body. If its a friendly, begin the lecture. If its foe, open fire.
I have the Insight for my XD. My 870 has a surefire forend.

SnowBlaZeR2
October 22, 2011, 01:32 PM
I wouldn't recommend "clearing" your home anyways, light or no light. Even so, just about anything negative anyone here can come up with for having a weapon mounted light can be overcome with proper knowledge and training. Besides, you can always choose not to turn on your light. If there isn't one there, that takes away that choice.

Also, what do you mean a point off center from your body? If you mean holding your weapon away from your body, that's not a very good idea. If you mean have a handheld light nearby as well, that's a great idea.

MyGreenGuns
October 22, 2011, 02:54 PM
Yes I do mean away from your body. If someone is going to fire into the light, dont make the light right in front of your torso. If they are looking right at you when you flash them, dont let them know right where you are. Being behind the light you will see where they are. In front of the light the only option is to attack the source of the light and hope you get lucky.
I'm speaking of a pistol, with a weapon mounted light. With the shotgun it would be difficult to get back to "ready" position quickly.

SnowBlaZeR2
October 22, 2011, 03:02 PM
Ok, well I can't agree with you there. Holding your weapon away from your body puts you at a bigger disadvantage than the target seeing your light ever will. You should have your weapon at the alert/low ready, or you should be using a hand held as well. Your weapon isn't used to confuse your enemy, it's used to stop your enemy.

Skribs
October 22, 2011, 03:13 PM
I got the Streamlight TLR-1. Seemed pretty similar to a SureFire for 1/3 the price.

MyGreenGuns
October 22, 2011, 03:38 PM
I was taught differently. Its not really about confusing them, its meant more to give you info on their position without revealing yours as much.
Keep the weapon pointed at your intended target. *Light off*
If you see a target, you must identify before firing.
Point light/weapon at target, move light away from yourself, turn on for one second.
Bring the weapon back to ready and move.

Someone with a gun is going to fire at where the light was, dont be there.

Lighting is tricky. I'm trying to set up 2nd switches for my living room and hallway that I can turn on/off from my room. This way I totally illuminate the BG and keep myself in the shadows. And if no-one ever breaks in, I dont have to walk thru the house to turn off the lights. :)

SnowBlaZeR2
October 22, 2011, 04:28 PM
I was taught differently. Its not really about confusing them, its meant more to give you info on their position without revealing yours as much.
Keep the weapon pointed at your intended target. *Light off*
If you see a target, you must identify before firing.
Point light/weapon at target, move light away from yourself, turn on for one second.
Bring the weapon back to ready and move.

Someone with a gun is going to fire at where the light was, dont be there.

Lighting is tricky. I'm trying to set up 2nd switches for my living room and hallway that I can turn on/off from my room. This way I totally illuminate the BG and keep myself in the shadows. And if no-one ever breaks in, I dont have to walk thru the house to turn off the lights. :)
I could go on and on why I don't think you should do that, but this thread is about recommending a light, not tactics. If there's a thread that pops up about that, maybe we can continue. If not, I'll just reiterate that the X300 is the best you can buy. :)

MyGreenGuns
October 22, 2011, 04:44 PM
Snow ~ agreed. Very highroad btw.

Back on topic, would a LED be better than a incandecent(sp?)? The LED on my surefire does not put out as much light as my brother's. But I've heard LED is more durable to the shock from being fired.

bdb benzino
October 22, 2011, 10:19 PM
Love my TRL-1!! I also have a hand held Surefire G2 for my non railed hand guns, it works well but not as bright as the TRL-1.

FIVETWOSEVEN
October 22, 2011, 10:31 PM
Well since I would be using it on my HD setup, I would like to read about tactics involving such a setup please. I hope it's not against the rules against derailing your own thread. :D

I have decided on the Insight M3X by the way, I'll get around to picking it up eventually but its what I like.

swinokur
October 23, 2011, 10:19 AM
If you require a water proof light of any level your choices are Surefire and Insight.

Both good to about 20 meters (66 feet)

FIVETWOSEVEN
October 23, 2011, 03:21 PM
I don't have a swiming pool in my living room so I wouldn't need a waterproof light but it's nice that the Insight is waterproof since that's the one I'm getting.

If you enjoyed reading about "Recommend me a Weapon Light" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!