What do you guys think of the Heritage Rough riders?

PDA

Austin97
October 21, 2011, 10:12 AM
Been looking at em, what do you guys think? (quality,price,accuracy...)

If you enjoyed reading about "What do you guys think of the Heritage Rough riders?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
AirForceShooter
October 21, 2011, 10:18 AM
For The Money it's a great gun.
Mine has 1000's of rounds through it.
Never had a mis-fire and I use cheap ammo.
It's reasonably accurate to 25 yards. Defined as soda can accurate.
I use it for new shooters all the time.
Kids love it as it's a "cowboy gun".

Is the Ruger a higher quality gun? You bet it is.
Will the Ruger be passed on to your great grand kids? You bet it will.
Is the Ruger more accurate? Sure is.

But the ruger costs more.

So you pay your money and take your pick

AFS

Austin97
October 21, 2011, 10:22 AM
How much is the Ruger?

welldoya
October 21, 2011, 10:33 AM
The past several years Academy has put them on sale on Black Friday for $99. I've got a dozen .22 handguns but for $99 I'm planning on picking one or two up this year. Started to last year but I bought two Rossi .357s and figured I had to stop somewhere.
Yes, the Single Six is a better gun but new it would run you over $400.

CraigC
October 21, 2011, 11:03 AM
They're cheap guns and may be fine for a disposable plinker but don't count on one lasting a lifetime of serious use. I always suggest saving your money towards a used Ruger. I've bought three for $250 or less.

Paid $200 for this one ten years ago, without the steel ejector and custom grips of course. This sixgun was made in 1963 and was well-used when I bought it. It's seen at least 25,000rds and a lot of hard use over the last few years and is no more worse for wear than when I bought it. Deals like that are few and far between but they can still be found under $300.
http://photos.imageevent.com/newfrontier45/sixgunsiii/large/IMG_7107b.jpg

Tallinar
October 21, 2011, 11:31 AM
I'll stick to Rugers.

hdbiker
October 21, 2011, 12:36 PM
I just sent a early Single Six convertable back to Ruger for tuning,literaly wore it out in about 40 years of heavy use,and tens of thousands of rounds threw it.It's a great revolver and worth rebuilding.Can't wait to get it back. biker PS,paid $79.00 dollare for it new

Austin97
October 21, 2011, 12:54 PM
I think I will get a Ruger.

woad_yurt
October 21, 2011, 01:00 PM
Personally, I'd rather have a nice, old H&R for the same price.

rule303
October 21, 2011, 08:07 PM
Nothing really wrong with the Rough Rider, especially for the price. But like everyone else has said, you won't regret saving your pennies and getting the Ruger. Much smoother action, and steel cylinder frame, along with being backed by Ruger, should you ever have problems with it, even years down the road.

Blackwolf
October 21, 2011, 08:13 PM
They feel fine in the hand, plus they're cheap, but you get what you pay for. The Ruger Single Six feels even better in the hand, and I've never seen one even close to wearing out. Great little revolvers.

BMF500
October 21, 2011, 08:24 PM
Probably the best value you will find. There are "nicer" S/A .22's, but not in the same price range, NIB that is.

mgregg85
October 21, 2011, 08:32 PM
I was going to buy a heritage rough rider but then I saw a used Single-Six .22lr/.22 mag sitting in the display case for about $50 more. I went home with the Ruger and I don't regret it at all.

oldfool
October 21, 2011, 08:43 PM
19 to zero
I think OP got the drift by post #8
with a respectful nod to AFS in post #2, honest and well said, it was

My grandson is real happy to own a HRR (a gift from his FIL), and I am sincerely happy for him. He is also happy that his dad lets him shoot a Ruger Singe Six, and also happy that his old grandpa lets him shoot S&W k-17s.

Shoot what you can afford, and enjoy it, it's all good
but if you can afford a NIB Single Six, do that... let somebody else enjoy shooting with a NIB HRR

If you enjoyed reading about "What do you guys think of the Heritage Rough riders?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!