I solved the puzzle

PDA

gamestalker
October 21, 2011, 01:23 PM
Last night I decided to run a test to help determine what caused a strange initial separation a few days ago and this is the results from this morning.

Ok, I took 5 rounds of brass that was in need of shoulder bumping, it was super tight chambering, the bolt would close, but with a lot of resistence against the head and shoulders about the same as what I experienced several days ago. I took another 5 rounds out of the same bag with the same number of reloadings on it, which was 6-7 cycles, and bumped the shoulder's on those just enough to facilitate normal chambering. I loaded all 10 of them with the same load as what I experienced the strange separation with several days ago.

Of the 5 in need of bumping, 4 of them had the same strange initial separations, which actually resemble a cut right at the top egde of the belt. Of the 5 that I did bump the shoulders back on, none had any stress signs or separation starting any where.

I now know that I can't let my bottle neck brass reach such extreme tollerances.

If you enjoyed reading about "I solved the puzzle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
243winxb
October 21, 2011, 01:53 PM
You know how to avoid it, true. But this is what caused it? http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=7670294&postcount=22 Or could there be a burr in the chamber causing it? :)

Innovative
October 21, 2011, 02:28 PM
gamestalker .........

Most tight fitting belted magnum handloads are usually caused by a bulged case, and rarely by a tight shoulder. It's important to measure case diameter just above the belt with the "broad" part of your caliper blades. This accurately shows a bulged case.

The reason this happens (and how to solve the problem) is explained near the end of your last post, or on my website.

gamestalker
October 21, 2011, 06:04 PM
243Winxb, your information is quite helpful and does explain more than just what I'm seeing. This has given me more to be considered to continue reaping 12-15 cycles from my belted brass, as has been the norm with this cartridge. I was actually given a heads up on this a while back, but I didn't really take it to seriously because I had been keeping my brass properely maintained, and thus had never experienced such a separation as this, well at least until now.

In all honesty, I have never run my brass that tight before and had some rservations about doing so, to which have surfaced.

But thanks to all for all the quality explanations and the time to post the diagrams which were very helpful.

FYI, I don't have the hardware to post pictures, and have never learned how to post pics. I didn't even own a computer until a couple of years ago, so I'm not at all up to speed with one.

243winxb
October 21, 2011, 08:12 PM
Gamestalker, glad you found a fix. Better yet, your shooting a Remington with " Three Rings of Steel" Good protection from case head seperations.

If you enjoyed reading about "I solved the puzzle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!