Rugr SR9C VS Glock 19

PDA

para38super
October 21, 2011, 01:32 PM
Which do prefer and why? I am a 1911 fan, but I want a 9mm for conceal carry. I know many people have thousand of rounds through there Glock, but I wonder how many of you have put a Ruger Sr9c through a torture test. How does a Ruger do through a high round count class? I am talking about 500-1000rds in two days or so.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rugr SR9C VS Glock 19" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JROC
October 21, 2011, 03:12 PM
Well IMHO the Ruger SR lineup is about the best value in new semi-auto handgun out there. I prefer several things about them over what a Glock has such as their trigger(even though a Glock with a 3.5 lb connector and a $.25 trigger job cures that) and their factory sights. I really like the factory Ruger SR sights a lot.

The problem here for me is two things. First I know that all models of guns have certain people that will have problems with them and need to send them back to the manufacture for service or whatever. For me personally though I know quite a few people who own Glocks and I know of none of them ever having a problem where they needed to send them back to the manufacture to get fixed. I know one guy with a SR40 that's had to send his gun back to Ruger after about 5/6 months of ownership because its sights are rusting up on the gun. The thing I hate about that is I really like the factory sights on the Ruger SR's as they work very well IMO. That might not be a common problem or a deal breaker, but it's something I've personally seen.

The other problem for me is putting most any gun against a G19 is a losing cause as for me, IMHO a G19 is probably the best all around semi-auto on the market. I'm not talking about a new Gen4 with it's teething problems, but a Gen3 G19 is a great gun that's easy enough to conceal, big enough to be comfortable firing, has good accuracy, and is extremely reliable. Parts(magazines, holsters, mods, whatever) are plentiful for it also.

Still you should go look and fire them both at a fun shop and see which one you prefer. Ruger and Glock both make good guns.

MikePaiN
October 21, 2011, 03:38 PM
I like and have owned both the G19 and SR9c...Both are solid performers. As a carry gun I find the Sr9c a better choice, it is a little smaller then the G19 and comes with a nice fit extended mag so you can carry 10 or 17 rounds right out of the box. The SRc also feel great too me, with or without the extended mag.

DenaliPark
October 21, 2011, 04:03 PM
Which do prefer and why? I am a 1911 fan, but I want a 9mm for conceal carry. I know many people have thousand of rounds through there Glock, but I wonder how many of you have put a Ruger Sr9c through a torture test. How does a Ruger do through a high round count class? I am talking about 500-1000rds in two days or so.
The best way to answer your question is just straightforwardly, Ruger pistols are generally only highly thought of by Ruger fans, The SR9 is an okay gun, it has a nice feel to it, holds a lot of ammo, ect...But the truth is if you're serious about establishing the vitality of a Ruger v Glock, you only need look at law enforcement, when you do so you'll discover that Ruger is just not able to compete with Glock, other then at price....There is a reason why about 70% of all US LEA & LEO carry, or are issued a Glock and not Ruger's!

Mike1234567
October 21, 2011, 04:23 PM
I don't like Glock grips but the Ruger SR9 / 9c are very very nice and have excellent reputations. FWIW... the SR9c is my next purchase.

BTW... I'm definitely not a "Ruger fan" nor am I a "Glock hater" and I own a very nice S&W M&P45. I'm very much a pragmatist.

kayak-man
October 21, 2011, 04:48 PM
I have a Ruger SR9. I like that gun alot, love it even.

But my next gun is going to be a Glock. My Ruger has never given me problems, except for two malfunctions, caused by my limp wristing with very weak handloads. I think the gun has great sights, I like the ergonomics, I find I can carry it quite well, and shoot it well.

I already said my next gun will be a Glock, but its not because I'm unhappy at all with my SR9. I'd like to point out that I'm getting another SR9 because..... I already have an SR9. I'm not getting an SR9c because I want something a little bigger (like the Glock 19) if I get another 9mm. I'm not getting one of the SR40s because, I have no use for a 40 since I already shoot 9mm, and if I'm going to get a .40, I might as well get a 10mm (of which GLock makes two.) So really, my Ruger is being compared to three other guns (Glock 19,20, and 29).

I'd get whichever one you shoot better, or you can find a holster that you like for, or that you can find people who know how to work on it....

Honestly, I think you'll be pretty happy either way.

Chris "the Kayak-Man" Johnson

miles1
October 21, 2011, 05:53 PM
The best way to answer your question is just straightforwardly, Ruger pistols are generally only highly thought of by Ruger fans, The SR9 is an okay gun, it has a nice feel to it, holds a lot of ammo, ect...But the truth is if you're serious about establishing the vitality of a Ruger v Glock, you only need look at law enforcement, when you do so you'll discover that Ruger is just not able to compete with Glock, other then at price....There is a reason why about 70% of all US LEA & LEO carry, or are issued a Glock and not Ruger's!
"Ruger pistols are generally only highly thought of by Ruger fans"......Im still wrapping my head around the logic behind this statement.

contender
October 21, 2011, 06:20 PM
i hate glocks............
i only have personal experience with the gen 1 thru the gen 3 series. they do not fit my hand, they do not point well for me, and i do not shoot them as well as some other weapons......but well enough.

the ruger sr9c on the other hand is loaded with features. i like the ambi safety, i like the ambi mag release, and i really like the way the weapon handles and points and shoots.

but, in all the years i have been an LEO, i have never seen a glock requiring the services of a glock armorer or needing to go back to glock for some failure that was not ammo related. The weapons are solid, and from past accounts, glock seems to have better quality control than ruger.

i might revisit this issue in 4 or 5 years, but for now, the glock has THE track record to beat as far as the ruger is concerned. 100% reliability for me is more important than the advantages ruger offers. A large cottage industry has built up around glocks, and choices in leather are many.

i might buy a glock eventually...depending on the gen 4 and if i get a chance to try one out.....but i'll stay with sigs for now. And keep that ruger in mind possibly for the future.

DenaliPark
October 21, 2011, 06:45 PM
"Ruger pistols are generally only highly thought of by Ruger fans"......Im still wrapping my head around the logic behind this statement.
The logic? It's simple, Ruger guns are low tier representations, like the Hi-Point, they are usually only popular with a certain subset of the market....Whats so difficult about that?

Truth is, Ruger pistols are not well regarded by the professional gun toting portion of the market, if you don't like that, well tough, it's just the truth! Ruger is very similar to Taurus Int in that both are prolific manufacturer's of lower quality firearms, you'll see few, if any examples of their product being carried by LEA/LEO for just this reason....

On the other hand we have Glock, carried by about 70% of all American LEO's, Ruger makes no pistol that is able to qualitatively compete with the Glock 19, if they did every cop in America could buy two SR9's for every Glock 19, and they would!

But they don't....:)

verdun59
October 21, 2011, 06:49 PM
I've got to call BS !!!!

DenaliPark
October 21, 2011, 06:56 PM
I've got to call BS !!!!
Well?

jem375
October 21, 2011, 07:28 PM
I have 2 Glocks, 17 and 20... I also have a Ruger SR9 and I can tell you that the SR9 is just as good as a G19 and for me it is better. Better grip angle and just as good trigger. Also PD's get the best deal for their money and Glock undercut just about everyone to get their contracts and also good tradeins.
By the way, some police officers that I know do not like their glocks and are thinking of dumping them for another brand that they are allowed to carry...

DenaliPark
October 21, 2011, 08:32 PM
I have 2 Glocks, 17 and 20... I also have a Ruger SR9 and I can tell you that the SR9 is just as good as a G19 and for me it is better. Better grip angle and just as good trigger. Also PD's get the best deal for their money and Glock undercut just about everyone to get their contracts and also good tradeins.
By the way, some police officers that I know do not like their glocks and are thinking of dumping them for another brand that they are allowed to carry...
Complete, total, rubbish! Ruger pistols are impossible for Glock to price undercut. You do understand that Glock's are imported don't you? Fact, Ruger can sell two or more pistols for every pistol sold by Glock, and still turn a profit!

Ante up facts, not emotion driven hyperbole...Just how is an SR9 "just as good" as a Glock? Explain to me how 63 parts in a Ruger SR9 makes for better then the 34 in a Glock?

Mike1234567
October 21, 2011, 08:36 PM
Sorry, DenaliPark, but... speaking of ante-ing up facts......?

And, nope, I have none... just calling you on your own call.

Carter
October 21, 2011, 08:40 PM
I don't think the sr9 is marketed to law enforcement, so that comparison is flawed. Geez ruger has more haters than ford.

They are both great guns. I learned to shoot handguns with my sr9c. It gets neglected in regards to cleaning and keeps on shooting. Its very accurate, reliable, concealable, and has ruger customer service behind it. Its also stainless =)

Both are great guns. Buy either with confidence.

DenaliPark
October 21, 2011, 08:46 PM
Sorry, DenaliPark, but... speaking of ante-ing up facts......?

And, nope, I have none... just calling you on your own call.
Like I've said, you bring nothing but emotion & hyperbole, then when called on even that you resort to the above silliness...

Take some advice, don't get involved with discussing machines that you clearly don't understand!

DenaliPark
October 21, 2011, 08:50 PM
I don't think the sr9 is marketed to law enforcement, so that comparison is flawed. Geez ruger has more haters than ford.

They are both great guns. I learned to shoot handguns with my sr9c. It gets neglected in regards to cleaning and keeps on shooting. Its very accurate, reliable, concealable, and has ruger customer service behind it. Its also stainless =)

Both are great guns. Buy either with confidence.
More hyperbole...

rdrancher
October 21, 2011, 09:11 PM
[Ruger guns are low tier representations, like the Hi-Point, they are usually only popular with a certain subset of the market....

Holy cr*p... I think I just had an aneurysm!

And I don't even own a Ruger...:rolleyes:

Mike1234567
October 21, 2011, 09:22 PM
Like I've said, you bring nothing but emotion & hyperbole, then when called on even that you resort to the above silliness...

Take some advice, don't get involved with discussing machines that you clearly don't understand!
Ditto...

Mike1234567
October 21, 2011, 09:23 PM
More hyperbole...
Ditto...

verdun59
October 21, 2011, 09:32 PM
Well upon further reflection and the strong selling here; I now believe that Glocks are the best, most comfortable, most accurate, and certainly the world's premier guns which are sought after by every law enforcement agency in the world. Furthermore I am sooo sorry that I sold mine and promptly bought a Springfield XD the same day, and now that I truly see the light, I'm going to sell or throw away my cheap lousy SR9C. Thanks for helping me with your well informed opinion.

miles1
October 21, 2011, 10:02 PM
The logic? It's simple, Ruger guns are low tier representations, like the Hi-Point, they are usually only popular with a certain subset of the market....Whats so difficult about that?

Truth is, Ruger pistols are not well regarded by the professional gun toting portion of the market, if you don't like that, well tough, it's just the truth! Ruger is very similar to Taurus Int in that both are prolific manufacturer's of lower quality firearms, you'll see few, if any examples of their product being carried by LEA/LEO for just this reason....

On the other hand we have Glock, carried by about 70% of all American LEO's, Ruger makes no pistol that is able to qualitatively compete with the Glock 19, if they did every cop in America could buy two SR9's for every Glock 19, and they would!

But they don't....:)
I like glocks for what they represent and have no arguement concering that or its reliability;but Rugers are lower tier guns based on what?I see now why people despise glockfanatics.Take off your glock colored glasses sir.And yes,I own a glock17.

SpodWo
October 21, 2011, 10:21 PM
Here watch a total Glock guy rave about the Ruger...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT1q1C_PnIY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5JRZX8_TpM

Purgatory
October 21, 2011, 10:27 PM
Can't provide any citations or articles to exemplify my post, but most people who have followed the history of the SR9 are aware that when it was first introduced it had 'numerous' quality issues.

I have no dog in this fight, but it's pretty well known that there was a massive recall on the SR9 and it was no secret that Ruger released it way too early before having tested the design enough to be sure it would perform and that the quality would be consistent from one unit to the next.

I saw a video of a Ruger rep being interviewed at Shot Show presenting the SR9 when it first came out and, after working the slide to demonstrate the model, the firing pin fell out the back of the slide for all to see.

ETA: And here's that video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpayO-og5c4

Having said all that, I believe they've worked out all the kinks these days and the most modern designs seem to be fine.

Carter
October 21, 2011, 10:30 PM
Here watch a total Glock guy rave about the Ruger...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT1q1C_PnIY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5JRZX8_TpM

I was so happy to see that was a hickok45 video and not nutnfancy (although both can be helpful).

Lets see here..hyperbole:
is the use of exaggeration as a rhetorical device or figure of speech. It may be used to evoke strong feelings or to create a strong impression

The only exaggeration or diction used to create strong feelings are yours denali.

Older rugers were built like tanks and the newer ones have some more refinement and are extremely popular.

To the OP:
While I have personally never taken my ruger sr9c through a high round count in one sitting I hardly ever clean it. Just wipe down and lube. If I end up carrying it I will show it a little more love though. However, hickok45 puts his T&E guns through the ringer. Watch his videos and I'm sure they will be very informative.

The only bad thing I can say about the ruger is that I wish it didn't have adjustable sights. But I'm probably alone on that one.

Love its trigger. Crisp and not too heavy. It does have a longer reset than I'd like but it is good none the less.

ColtPythonElite
October 21, 2011, 10:32 PM
I'd rather have a used Glock than a new Ruger centerfire semi-auto.

Hangingrock
October 21, 2011, 10:48 PM
To praise one diminishes the other usually applies when making a comparison. General marketplace acceptance, law enforcement usage, military adoption, and after market accessories are indicators of a successful product.

DenaliPark
October 21, 2011, 10:56 PM
I like glocks for what they represent and have no arguement concering that or its reliability;but Rugers are lower tier guns based on what?I see now why people despise glockfanatics.Take off your glock colored glasses sir.And yes,I own a glock17.
Excuse me, lower tier means just that, lower tier, Ruger centerfire pistols are in the exact same quality class as are those offerings from Taurus, Bersa, Charter Arms, Rossi, and others... They are not in the class of Glock, HK, Sig, Beretta, or S&W who happen to be top tier producers.

Get it now? The OP penned a thread titled SR9C v Glock 19, it's no contest, it was a first round knock-out.

M2 Carbine
October 21, 2011, 11:36 PM
Which do prefer and why?
I have the SR9C and have run a lot of trouble free ammo through it. It's fast becoming a favorite gun (and I have a LOT of guns and a home range to shoot them a LOT).

A friend gave me a G17 and G26. I kept the guns for a while and shot them a good bit. I tried to like them because they were a gift from a friend. I disliked them so much I gave them back. I have shot the friend's G19 a fair amount. I dislike the G19 less than the G26 and G17 but still wouldn't have one for free. My friend calls his Glocks, "Bricks".:D

but I wonder how many of you have put a Ruger Sr9c through a torture test. How does a Ruger do through a high round count class? I am talking about 500-1000rds in two days or so.
I bought the Ruger LC9, the SR9C's little brother, on impulse. In 8 days I put over a thousand trouble free rounds through it. It now has about 1,700 trouble free rounds.
I liked the LC9 so much I bought two.

When I saw the SR9C I thought I'd give it a try since the LC9 turned out to be a keeper. From the box it's been trouble free. I didn't bother to keep a round count but I'd guess the gun has well over a thousand rounds now.

Good gun. I may try out the full size SR9.

verdun59
October 21, 2011, 11:41 PM
You've already sold me, but could you explain it one more time. Make it a little bit simpler and maybe everybody will get it, something along the lines of :
Glock good
everything else bad.

para38super
October 21, 2011, 11:42 PM
I have the SR9C and have run a lot of trouble free ammo through it. It's fast becoming a favorite gun (and I have a LOT of guns and a home range to shoot them a LOT).

A friend gave me a G17 and G26. I kept the guns for a while and shot them a good bit. I tried to like them because they were a gift from a friend. I disliked them so much I gave them back. I have shot the friend's G19 a fair amount. I dislike the G19 less than the G26 and G17 but still wouldn't have one for free. My friend calls his Glocks, "Bricks".:D

I bought the Ruger LC9, the SR9C's little brother, on impulse. In 8 days I put over a thousand trouble free rounds through it. It now has about 1,700 trouble free rounds.
I liked the LC9 so much I bought two.

When I saw the SR9C I thought I'd give it a try since the LC9 turned out to be a keeper. From the box it's been trouble free. I didn't bother to keep a round count but I'd guess the gun has well over a thousand rounds now.

Good gun. I may try out the full size SR9.
Finally someone actually gives a decent review. Thanks.

I have fired both and both feel good to me. The major debate is if Ruger Sr9c is up to par with the Glock in reliability and durability.

By the way, Ruger haters, I like Ruger's, my Mini 14 is my favorite rifle and will be getting a Ruger 10/22 in the next couple weeks.

Hanzo581
October 21, 2011, 11:47 PM
DenaliPark also believes because 85% of police used the Ford Crown Victory it is the best car in the world.

verdun59
October 22, 2011, 12:15 AM
Hee Hee

DenaliPark
October 22, 2011, 12:34 AM
DenaliPark also believes because 85% of police used the Ford Crown Victory it is the best car in the world.
Essentially what you've brought as your argument is "nah nah nah nah!" Now you've wandered off into the hyper-silly, but to use your auto analogy, comparing a Ruger with a Glock is like comparing a Yugo to a Mustang, or a Pinto to a Corvette...

HOOfan_1
October 22, 2011, 12:49 AM
Can't provide any citations or articles to exemplify my post, but most people who have followed the history of the SR9 are aware that when it was first introduced it had 'numerous' quality issues.

They did a recall and fixed them

Certain Glock Gen 4s have had numerous quality issues as well. Glock is now sending out parts to fix those too.

New products even new models have issues...that is a fact of life.

Buy your gun, shoot the heck out of it, and if it has a problem, have it sent back to be fixed....Glock or Ruger.

ugaarguy
October 22, 2011, 01:50 AM
Ruger pistols are generally only highly thought of by Ruger fans, The SR9 is an okay gun, it has a nice feel to it, holds a lot of ammo, ect...But the truth is if you're serious about establishing the vitality of a Ruger v Glock, you only need look at law enforcement, when you do so you'll discover that Ruger is just not able to compete with Glock, other then at price....There is a reason why about 70% of all US LEA & LEO carry, or are issued a Glock and not Ruger's!
Do some research into how Glock got that market share. They went to big depts & agencies, and made them offers they couldn't refuse.
Comparing Ruger to Hi Point is just foolish.
Massad Ayoob liked them. The Wisconsin State Police used to issue them. They're approved for duty carry as a primary or backup personal weapon by most LE agencies in the US, while Taurus is not. Ruger's primary criticism has always been that their pistols are bulky and / or heavy, not that they lack quality. The P345 and SR series are changing the bulky / heavy perception.
Where did you get this info on Ruger's production cost vs. Glock's production cost?

jahwarrior
October 22, 2011, 09:44 AM
i carry a 1911 daily. i don't care for polymer double stack guns, and i have no loyalties to eithe Glock or Ruger, although i am in love with Ruger's revolvers. that said, i think the Glock is the better choice, simply because it's proven. i had one for awhile, then sold it, only because i was short on cash, and it was easier topart with it than any of my 1911s. but, i'll probably end up buying another, because every home should have at least one Glock in it.

jem375
October 22, 2011, 10:42 AM
Complete, total, rubbish! Ruger pistols are impossible for Glock to price undercut. You do understand that Glock's are imported don't you? Fact, Ruger can sell two or more pistols for every pistol sold by Glock, and still turn a profit!

Ante up facts, not emotion driven hyperbole...Just how is an SR9 "just as good" as a Glock? Explain to me how 63 parts in a Ruger SR9 makes for better then the 34 in a Glock?
gee, I have never had to take my SR9 apart to count the parts..lol.... after around 1200 rounds all it does is shoot with no problems.

rbernie
October 22, 2011, 10:49 AM
I know many people have thousand of rounds through there Glock, but I wonder how many of you have put a Ruger Sr9c through a torture test. How does a Ruger do through a high round count class? I am talking about 500-1000rds in two days or so.My range SR9 and SR40 have seen 200rds of cast reloads per week through each of them, week after week, for 3-4 months now. I've broken them down to clean them once, and have yet to really flush out the bottom end. So far, I've had not a single malfunction in the SR9 and only reload-related issues with the SR40 (bad primer/upside down primer).

I don't know how they will last over decades of this sort of use, but so far they are well into the four-digit round count (somewhere between 2500 and 4000 rounds each) with no mechanical issues of any kind.

verdun59
October 22, 2011, 11:09 AM
Good morning, I see the beat goes on from less parts to torture tests. You know I've always sort of wondered about the majority of folks on this forum as to how many of you all keep your gun in a block of ice, or a pot of boiling water, or out on/in your driveway when you bring your steamroller home for the day, or have your spouse or friend throw your gun down to you from the rooftop when you need it, or maybe your have to go out back and dig it up if you can remember where you last buried it. Somehow I just don't get it for the average person, but I guess I'm just out of the loop.
By the way if I'm not mistaken I believe a zip gun has less parts than a Glock, that makes it a better deal doesn't it ?

Hanzo581
October 22, 2011, 11:48 AM
Essentially what you've brought as your argument is "nah nah nah nah!" Now you've wandered off into the hyper-silly, but to use your auto analogy, comparing a Ruger with a Glock is like comparing a Yugo to a Mustang, or a Pinto to a Corvette...

No one is saying Glocks are not reliable pistols. It's pretty much a given that due to their reliability and ease of use they are a hit with Police departments. But to think that they are the end all be all pistols is foolish. I understand you are passionate about your brand, I get it. But unless you own the SR9c and have shot it a good amount you shouldn't slam it for quality.

It is true when the SR9 (full size) first came out they did have issues, but Glock Gen4's weren't exactly perfect either. They have since fixed the SR9 issues, and the SR9c is further improved and is a damn fine pistol, and to compare it to hi-point shows your complete lack of knowledge on the subject and you are just regurgitating info you have heard from other Glock fanboys online.

whalerman
October 22, 2011, 11:55 AM
The Ruger might be a great gun. I don't know. I have no reason to try it because I'm so satisfied with my Glocks. I'm not sure I'll have a chance to experiment. But if I do I'll let you guys know.

miles1
October 22, 2011, 12:05 PM
Excuse me, lower tier means just that, lower tier, Ruger centerfire pistols are in the exact same quality class as are those offerings from Taurus, Bersa, Charter Arms, Rossi, and others... They are not in the class of Glock, HK, Sig, Beretta, or S&W who happen to be top tier producers.

Get it now? The OP penned a thread titled SR9C v Glock 19, it's no contest, it was a first round knock-out.
Do i get it?I get that you dont like Ruger which is fine.But a fan of ruger guns will like there product just as much as glockfantatics will like theres.so your statement that only ruger fans will like ruger guns just doesnt make sense.If someone only had $300-$400 to spend on a quality 9mm then IMHO the ruger P95 makes the most amount of sense without sacrificing any reliability even if they never were a fan(or even aware) of ruger to begin with.As far as the SR9 i dont have any experience shooting this gun othere than what i hear which seems to be pretty favorable.Which would i chose?probably the glock but NOT because the majority of LEO use it.Theres several guns including issues with the glock gen4 that there still ironing out so your arguement that the SR ruger isnt as reliable might only pertain to the begining run of them and not a fair assesment of there current product.I noticed you quickly went from glock to glock,sig,hk,etc...The topic was glock vs ruger not ruger vs everyone everyone else.If were talking best compact 9mm im sure there would be many other choices of "upper tier" guns that might be better than glock.

To the OP:Try both guns and which ever one feels better than thats the one I would get.Ruger guns just like glocks are good guns otherwise people wouldnt be buying them.

JR24
October 22, 2011, 02:17 PM
If you've wandered these forums enough you'll realize that certain posters just hate Ruger and spew that hate anytime threads like these come up. I personally have owned 3 Ruger autos, put thousands of rounds through all of em and love em all.

Now, when it came time to move from .45 to 9mm for carry, like the OP was suggesting; I also looked at the Glock 19, XD9, M&P 9c and Ruger 9c. I tried em all, ended up buying the Ruger and sold my XD.

Why did I pick the Ruger over the Glock? Feel. The only 19's I could find at the time were Gen 3 and they just feel awful in my hand, and coming from draw they always pointed high. Ruger felt better, I like the trigger better, done deal for me. Plus, unlike many others I LIKE the manual saftey, and its location is right where I would expect it compared to my 1911.

I've got almost 2,500 trouble free through my SR9c now (which is no stress test I know) and love it more each time I hit the range. Carries like a dream on me too. I guess the suggestion stands to try to grab em all and see what you like best in function, form and shooting, its the only real way to know.

As for the baseless "2nd tier" crap... well I shoot and carry my Ruger over my Sigs and 1911, I also looked at a few HK compacts too... yeah, still went with the Ruger, and price was NOT the consideration.

Your mileage, as usual, will vary.

JR24
October 22, 2011, 02:26 PM
Looking back at the OP's questions. I've never put 1000-2000 through my SR9c at a time, but my shooting blocks were usually 400-600 rounds at a time. Never a problem with the Ruger.

I use primarily Remington UMC 115, 124, 147 FMJ (whatever the local store has) and some WWB 115 FMJ. Also while testing carry ammo I put Golden Saber 124 and 147 FMJ, as well as Speer Gold Dot 124 +P JHP through it, no problems there either.

contender
October 22, 2011, 02:53 PM
I do not consider Ruger as lower tier either.

I have a natural distrust however of new models as introduced by any gun company. And it would appear that some gun companies like to use the customer as the beta testers for the firearms.

Hence, I would rather wait a while and let others test new designs while i stick with tried and proven designs. And everyone is liable to have a different definition of tried and proven.

I will be keeping my vaquero, P89, MII, and 77 bolts.

as far as the SR9C, time will tell. For some, it will be a short wait. For me, I will wait a tad longer. I was initially very impressed with this weapon, but there has been some reported issues. That should fade with more time.

rcjohnson
October 22, 2011, 06:29 PM
Wow... I just started spending time on THR. Up until now, I thought the childish flame wars / pissing matches of early internet forums were largely a thing of the past. It's incredibly painful to read through ridiculous statements like "Ruger is second tier" and "Glock owns 85% of the LEO market", "nanny nanny boo boo", dtc. :banghead: criminy:barf: I will solve that and skip by those in the future.

The SR9c pistol is an excellent gun. Not a single hiccup with mine, SD rounds, reloads, and plinking factory loads. No torture tests from me, but so far I have enjoyed it immensely, especially after removing the magazine safety.

That said, the Glock has a much longer and well wrung out reputation for durability. I have not resolved in my mind the criticism some people have made that the chamber does not fully support the round. I can't tell if it's a real problem, reloaded rounds, or shooting a lot of lead rounds. Anyway, in my hands, the Glock 23 was an incredibly easy gun to shoot.

The SR9c is very easy for me to shoot, too, and it is a little thinner for IWB.

I *think* the SR9c is every bit the gun Glock is.

Which would I choose, knowing what I know and the current track records of each SO FAR, if my life depended on it? Glock.

If I needed to conceal it? SR9c

carbonyl
October 22, 2011, 06:33 PM

Yeah imported..that drives the price up, ask all the good american companies that moved their factories overseas then ship their products back to the U.S. for sale.:rolleyes: No offense meant but you seem to be the one struggling with their emotions on this thread.

ritepath
October 22, 2011, 10:35 PM
Woo Hoo it's the Colt vs all other AR's thread.

Glock season
Ruger season
Glock season
Ruger season
Glock season
Glock season
boom...

I looked at the

CZ p09
FN FNX 40
G23
SR40
and
P229

yesterday....I really liked the little safety of the ruger and the slim profile. The sales guy even offered 50 bucks off down to 399 without me even hinting at being interested in the SR. Problem was I already have enough Rugers. But there's something about the ruger frame I just don't care for. I loved the feel of the G23 plus all the aftermarket support gives it an edge IMHO.

I carry a LCP everyday...and like my STAG AR isn't a colt the LCP isn't an issued LEO firearm but it's been totally reliable so far. My 1993 P89 has yet to break either...

ohwell
October 23, 2011, 12:16 AM
I've got a few Rugers myself and no Glocks, I'm sure Glocks are a fine gun but they just dont feel right in my hand.Someone tell me why Cabelas always has a display case full of used traded in Glocks but never at least that I have seen used Rugers ? someone gets sick of their glocks.

exavid
October 23, 2011, 02:59 AM
This thread is much like a motorcycle forum, Honda vs. Harleys. As for the owners never the twain will meet. Personally I'm a Ruger owner, 10/22, Ruger Mk I, Mini 14, Security Six, LCP, SR9, SR40c and P345. Why? Because in the early 60s I bought the 10/22. It was priced well and has functioned well for nearly 50 years through uncounted bricks of .22s shot by myself, my family and friends. Much the same story with the Mk I and the Mini14. The Security Six is still operating as well as it did new. So far my four Ruger centerfire auto pistols are living up to the utility and reliability of their predecessers in my collection. Could be a Glock is a better pistol, maybe yes, maybe no. Like Glock owners, I'm totally happy and satisfied with my Ruger products. So if you're a Glock owner fine, but I'm not going to convince you that your favorite brand is junk and you're obviously not going to convince me. So what's with you guys who get rabid about the subject?

PabloJ
October 23, 2011, 05:43 AM
The reason most elite police and military units in the world do not choose SR9C is because we know it's more reliable, cheaper and more durable then Glock.

para38super
October 24, 2011, 10:27 AM
WOW!, my thread was ruined by the Glock fan boys. Calling Ruger a hi-point, saying Rugers are POS, etc.

My question was for Ruger sr9c users, I was aking if they have used there Rugers intensively. How many rounds they have through them, and if you have owned both of them, which do they prefer and why?

Mike1234567
October 24, 2011, 11:41 AM
^^^ Come on now, para. You're not really surprised by the typical cluster-Glock are you? :)

JR24
October 24, 2011, 01:02 PM
If I can get my hands on 1000-1500 rounds in the next few weeks I can maybe try to give it a go in one run w/out cleaning. Hard to find the $$ for that much at once, also its pretty snowy now so that makes the range time a bit more... interesting.

But as I said, I usually run 500-600 at a time and my SR9c has never hiccuped yet. Just make sure to clean out that striker channel out of the box.

papa_bear
October 24, 2011, 04:07 PM
I have ran several thousand rounds of Swiss Gecco 9mm Nato in my 9c. Not one problem. I ditched my g19 a while after shooting the ruger. It's every bit of gun the glock is. I happen to shoot my ruger much better than the glock. Denali's posts are riddled with logical fallacies. I struggle to find one fact out of all those posts aside from glocks being great guns (which they are). Better than SR9c? IMO, not a chance.

ROCK6
October 24, 2011, 04:08 PM
I most often carry a Glock…they’re simple, reliable and fit my hand well. My wife was wanting a 9mm in a compact package. She’s tried everything I own (Kahr K9, Sig P228/P225, CZ-75 Compact & P-O1 and of course my G19 and G26); the Glocks just didn’t fit her well and she wasn’t comfortable with them (although she was plenty accurate). She did get the opportunity to handle the SR9c and really liked it…so much so that I secretly bought it for her (just over $200 with a holiday discount and $100 credit).

It was going to be a Christmas gift, but since I’ll be in Afghanistan before Christmas, it will have to be gifted sooner. I’ve already put 250 rounds through it with no issues. It’s accurate, has a decent trigger and comfortable grip. For those that like the safety feature, it’s not bad…small, but easy to activate. I know the chamber indicator is large and a little gaudy, but it hasn’t been anything more than an aesthetic nuisance…I’m really indifferent to that feature.

What I don’t like is the sights…they are actually decent stock sights, but I’m not sure aftermarket sights will fit the cut-out if you wanted standard fixed, night sights. Also, the magazines are hard to get and way over-priced which can be a deal breaker for many. I think the SR9/9c will have a decent future. Ruger has come a long way to compete with the polymer pistol market. If Ruger markets it well and pushes for more aftermarket accessories and factory parts, it should do well. The good news is that it is made locally and Ruger does have great customer service and a good track record overall. I really think my Steyr M9-A1 has some great improvements over the Glock, but they failed with marketing, spare and aftermarket parts…which all contributed to a market loss. I don’t think that will happen with the Ruger, but time is the telling factor and what Glock has going for it…very well established in the industry, LE community and is why people continually compare other designs to the Glock.

I still think the Glock 19 is the better buy right now…at least until the SR9c gets a little more range time. Biggest advantage of the SR9c is that it is quite a bit better ergonomically than the Glock, but nothing that would create a disadvantage or advantage as “comfort” is a very subjective aspect and everybody will be quite opinionated on feel and how a pistol handles. Price is a big advantage also of the Ruger (except extra magazines), but I still plan to put another 250+rounds (FMJ) through it before I even start trying personal defense ammo in it. As it stands, it’ll most likely become my wife’s bedside gun while I’m deployed.

If you’re willing to do plenty of shooting up front, the SR9c is a good deal that just needs plenty range time to make sure all is working properly…which is really prudent insurance with any new firearm. If handling isn’t too important and both are comfortable enough…then the Glock really gives you more options on accessories, cheaper magazines and more options for holsters at the moment. If the SR9c is more comfortable for you, it’s less expensive to get started, but mags are hard to get and expensive and holsters are less common, but that is quickly changing. Tough call, but I would recommend you go with what feels best in your hand and which one you shoot better with…

ROCK6

Mike J
October 24, 2011, 07:26 PM
para38super wrote-WOW!, my thread was ruined by the Glock fan boys. Calling Ruger a hi-point, saying Rugers are POS, etc.

My question was for Ruger sr9c users, I was aking if they have used there Rugers intensively. How many rounds they have through them, and if you have owned both of them, which do they prefer and why?

Denali Park has a resentment against Ruger. I can't seem to remember whether it was 2 or 3 different Ruger P345's he had a problem with. He has been down on Ruger ever since.

Don't give up yet there may be more feedback coming.

Lateck
October 24, 2011, 08:10 PM
I have owned Glocks... I own Rugers.. SR9c, 40 & 40c. :what:

I perfer the Rugers.. For ME :neener:

The grip and grip angle are what I do not like about the Glocks.

It is all about you, the owner.. What do you like? :D

Ruger is American made by an American company ;)

Lateck,

grimjaw
October 25, 2011, 07:32 PM
I'm sure I would be comfortable with the grip on the Ruger. But I am a low-maintenance guy, and I prefer my stuff to be that way. I didn't like Glock grip angles either, but I got used to it. I'll take a G19 over many pistols now.

Shmackey
October 25, 2011, 07:38 PM
I am a 1911 fan, but I want a 9mm for conceal carry.

Then you want an M&P 9mm compact for the thumb safety or the Ruger because it's so wonderfully thin. Glocks are 1911 antimatter.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rugr SR9C VS Glock 19" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!