Will a neck sizing die be used to bump shoulders back?

PDA

gamestalker
October 21, 2011, 09:28 PM
Answer: Yes you can but it won't push them back at all. A week or so ago I was re-organizing my reloading room and decided to put all of my 7 mag. dies in one box in order to save space.

So a little while ago I decided to bump some brass that was labled as "tight", after having destroyed more than 20 rounds of brass. But being hasty and not paying enough attention to which die I was threading into the press I ended up re-adjusting the die several times before realizing what was causing my new problem, the shoulders weren't moving at all. I re-lubed and re-adjusted the die and ran them through several more times before I realized I was using the neck sizing die, instead of the FL die. Maybe 9/10th of my problem is old age causing me to become mindless?

If you enjoyed reading about "Will a neck sizing die be used to bump shoulders back?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
243winxb
October 21, 2011, 09:54 PM
I know that old age feeling. I am always double checking myself. To confuse you more, :D there is a shoulder bumping bushing neck die made by Forster. http://www.forsterproducts.com/store.asp?pid=27654 There is nothing supporting the case body when bumping the shoulder back. To much bump and you may have a shoulder bulge that will not let the round chamber. Just a guess as i have not used one. :confused:

gamestalker
October 22, 2011, 02:56 PM
I did destroy a shoudler when I was doing this.

USSR
October 23, 2011, 09:46 PM
gamestalker,

Get yourself a body die for shoulder bumping. It looks much different from FL or necksizing sizing dies, and you will never make that mistake again.

Don

j2crows
October 28, 2011, 09:41 PM
OK. I have to ask. How do you know when it's time to shoulder bump a case?

ranger335v
October 28, 2011, 10:40 PM
"OK. I have to ask. How do you know when it's time to shoulder bump a case? "

When it's hard to close the bolt on your ammo.

Innovative
October 29, 2011, 09:49 AM
Don't forget that your rifle cases are tapered, and you also need to consider case "width". That causes far more tight fitting handloads.

If you enjoyed reading about "Will a neck sizing die be used to bump shoulders back?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!