smith and wesson governor

PDA

horsemen61
October 22, 2011, 12:01 AM
what are your thoughts on the smith and Wesson governor

If you enjoyed reading about "smith and wesson governor" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
FIVETWOSEVEN
October 22, 2011, 01:36 AM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQchzIxirIkyUiOUR-07zLwzmi8Yr9uuYS3P4H-ye3s50Bzf_YHygFvM6MH

If you do a search on the Judge, you'll get opinions, most of them apply to the Governor.

bikemutt
October 22, 2011, 01:43 AM
I bought one recently, very pleased with it so far. Well made, more accurate than I thought it would be, not punishing to shoot despite it's bantam weight.

That said, a .410 shotgun will shoot shotshells better, a 1911 will shoot .45ACP better, and an old six shooter will shoot .45LC better. But within it's range, the Gov will shoot them all good enough.

Stainz
October 22, 2011, 09:51 AM
See the thread running now on shooting .45 Colt from a 2" barrel. Actually, he means the 2.75" barrel of the Governor.

To recap my observations from the past threads... mine is a keeper, if for no other reason than it will load and fire .45 ACPs, a la the 325NG. It weighs a whopping 1.8 oz more but has the same construction and sights as the 325NG - yet cost is over $300 less. Yeah, it'll also chamber .45 GAP; .45 Colt; .45 Schofield; and 2.5" .410 shotgun shells alike - whatever was on sale. Mine has a home here. Okay, it is, like all but a couple of .38's, locked away empty as I type this. Seriously, for typical EDC CCW, a 642 is hard to beat. Simply stated - .38's are all I really need. Still, the utility of zombie protection with the Governor, as real a threat as large bruins are to most of us, can't be ignored. I don't need a Governor... like so many other firearm purchases, I just wanted one! And... it makes me smile! YMMV. Worms are best with 'Bold & Spicey A1 Sauce'.

Stainz

Lawdawg45
October 22, 2011, 09:56 AM
S&W copying Taurus........it's usually the other way around!:p

LD

Yo Mama
October 22, 2011, 10:14 AM
S&W copying Taurus........it's usually the other way around!

Really? Example please?

FIVETWOSEVEN
October 22, 2011, 05:30 PM
Their revolvers are based heavily off of S&W revolvers.

MCgunner
October 22, 2011, 09:41 PM
I like Taurus and Smith and Wesson revolvers, but I just don't have a "thing" for the Judge/Governor. I don't see the point, the use, the need. Might be the answer to thin walled apartment defense, the only ting i've been able to reason for 'em. Mostly inexperienced handgunners buy 'em. Might be a reason for that correlation beyond pure happenstance. :D

BTW, both Taurus and Smith and Wesson are copying the Thunder Five, so lets stop THAT pi**ing match before it gets started, eh?

mio
October 22, 2011, 09:52 PM
not for me but i dont have anything against it

22lr
October 22, 2011, 11:04 PM
Neat gun, but not for me.

From what ive seen the Governor is a better built gun than the Taurus, but that's just standard S&W V Taurus talk.

greenlion
October 22, 2011, 11:33 PM
I would really like to see some data on velocity loss with .45 colt and .45acp in the 2" barrel versions. It would also be interesting to see velocities and shot patterns for the shot shells out of the 2 inchers. I bet both would be fairly laughable to knowledgable gun folk.

Stainz
October 23, 2011, 02:14 AM
Wow. MCgunner hit the nail on the head... "Mostly inexperienced handgunners buy 'em.". Yep, I just fell off the pickle wagon and decided to get me a new fangled revolver. Good grief! I'll bet you've never touched a Governor. For that matter, I'll bet you've never touched a Thunder Five - else, you'd never mention it in the same sentence as even a Judge. The Thunder Five looks like a high school machine shop production gone awry - even the Taurus Judge looks more like a firearm than it. Of course, the first of the type I recall is the SA Magnum Research BFR in .45 Colt/.410 - now, there is a horse of a revolver.

There are differences in the Thunder Five, Taurus Judge, and S&W Governor. Obviously, build quality and warranty. Not so obvious, the first two are predominantly steel five shooters of .45 Colt and .410's, while the S&W is an Al/Sc framed SS barrel/cylinder six-shooter - which will also chamber and discharge moonclipped .45 ACP/GAP. Not a very close copy, is it? Of course, handle one - then a Judge (Never mind the T-5... they are hard to find.). Such an experience may change your mind. Again - they aren't for everybody. And, I don't buy for others - I buy for myself. I don't need anyone's approval of my purchases - not even that of a self-proclaimed revolver pundit. You don't even have to like them - it's enough that I do.

Stainz

PS Remove the worms from the can before you microwave them...

bikemutt
October 23, 2011, 09:40 AM
I believe S&W recommends NOT shooting .45GAP, have you tried that round Stainz?

Somewhere along the line I heard about .45 auto-rim but never seen one, that I imagine should work.

Yo Mama
October 23, 2011, 11:29 AM
Their revolvers are based heavily off of S&W revolvers.

So are many makers and models. It's not a copy, it's how a revolver functions.

Standing Wolf
October 23, 2011, 11:48 AM
PS Remove the worms from the can before you microwave them...

Daing. I hate it when everybody at the barbecue but the meat is smarter than me.

Seriously: I believe I'm going to wait until someone comes out with a twelve-bore revolver. If a gun's going to be ugly, it might as well be monumentally ugly.

Actually, now that I stop to think about it rationally, maybe I'll write to the good folks at Chiappa. They seem to know a thing or two about ugly.

Stainz
October 23, 2011, 01:31 PM
There is a vestige of the original OAL of the cylinder left as an outer ring on the Governor, as in a .454 Casull/.45 Colt Ruger SRH or S&W 25/625 .45 Colt modified for .45 ACP's. The moonclipped .45 ACPs and GAPs will not be affected by the ring, but it will catch the rim of anything rimmed, a la the .45 Colt, .410, and, yes, the .45 Auto Rim. The cylinder won't close with the .45 ARs loaded - their rim is so thick - to make up for the moonclip thickness - that it prevents cylinder closure. I have verified this!

As to the .45 GAP - it is literally a shortened .45 ACP case - and should fit and fire fine, as the pressures are similar, too. If you'll recall, they were made so that Glock could make a single stack .45-ish semi-auto with a smaller grip. I don't have any - or plans to get any - so, no, I haven't tried them.

Stainz

ljnowell
October 23, 2011, 03:03 PM
Why do taurus fans get upset so quickly and easily?

Hondo 60
October 23, 2011, 03:40 PM
If I were going to buy one, I'd certainly look at S&W before Taurus.
I've held a few Taurii? and their quality has left me feeling doubtful.

I think bikemutt said it best.
That said, a .410 shotgun will shoot shotshells better, a 1911 will shoot .45ACP better, and an old six shooter will shoot .45LC better. But within it's range, the Gov will shoot them all good enough.

But if you're looking for a close quarter SD/HD gun, this might be a good option.

MCgunner
October 23, 2011, 08:27 PM

I just kinda get sick and tired of people telling me I have crappy Taurus guns when they outshoot my Smiths. :rolleyes: I've owned a M19 and a 1917 and still own a M10. And, the Smiths snobs, even though I still own one and have owned others, tend to piss me off with their holier than thou attitudes. Plenty of 'em out there, though. Kinda neat to piss one off back. How's it feel, Stainz?

I loved it when I was the loan Taurus revolver at a recent club revolver shoot and had the high score (fastest time, actually), though. I had all the Smith crowd complimenting my M66. It shoots several loads into 1" at 25 yards, about as good as I can do with iron sights off bags at 25 yards. It has a damned fine DA and SA trigger, too. The shoot was a pepper popper shoot, timed, not an accuracy thing, but I usually do pretty well on that sort of course of fire so long as it doesn't involve a reload. I suck at reloads.

There are differences in the Thunder Five, Taurus Judge, and S&W Governor. Obviously, build quality and warranty. Not so obvious, the first two are predominantly steel five shooters of .45 Colt and .410's, while the S&W is an Al/Sc framed SS barrel/cylinder six-shooter - which will also chamber and discharge moonclipped .45 ACP/GAP. Not a very close copy, is it?

They copied the CONCEPT. No, the details of the guns are a might different.. I have a TC Contender with a .45/.410 barrel. THAT was probably the first .45/.410 concept gun. It is the very gun that went to the SCOTUS and won the right for all the others to exist. Mines the old octagon barrel, too, with the external removable choke and compensator. Removing the choke for .45 turns it into a 7" barrel from 10". I like that. The new ones, the choke screws in internally. The choke makes it more fun, if equally useless. You can actually hit birds on the wing at 20 yards with it, or clays. It's kiinda cool, but useless for anything serious. I thought I was buying it to maybe be a decent hunting barrel, but .45 Colt accuracy is okay for 50 yards, my Ruger Blackhawk is twice as accurate. And, the .410 doesn't have a lot of range despite the choke which also stops the rotation of the shot string. I've thought of trading it on another barrel, but I have kept it around. It is fun to knock around with on my place.

Guillermo
October 23, 2011, 08:47 PM
I just kinda get sick and tired of people telling me I have crappy Taurus guns when they outshoot my Smiths

Smith and Wesson used to produce some incredible revolvers.

Those days are long gone.

As the governor I have never held one...but the concept is silly.

That said...we all need toys.

RalphS
October 23, 2011, 11:27 PM
How far does the bullet jump in the Governor before it hits the cylinder throat?

kozak6
October 24, 2011, 02:02 AM
I think it's a silly fad pistol inspired by the Judge.

But I'd rather have a S&W than a Taurus. The ability to fire .45 ACP is also super cool as .45 LC is surprisingly expensive and uncommon.

Yo Mama
October 24, 2011, 10:03 AM

I'm not a Taurus fanboy, I just dislike untrue statements.

MCgunner
October 24, 2011, 11:32 AM
but i'd rather have a s&w than a taurus. The ability to fire .45 acp is also super cool as .45 lc is surprisingly expensive and uncommon.

reload. I also handload .45ACP, though, but I've been thinkin' about a .45ACP conversion for my Pietta 1858 Remington as an ACP firing gun. I have a 4 5/8" stainless blackhawk for .45 Colt along with my TC Contender barrel. Be kinda neat to shoot .45ACP without having to chase brass. :D Don't need no stinkin' moon clips, either, with that Pietta.

ugaarguy
October 24, 2011, 11:45 AM
As to the .45 GAP - it is literally a shortened .45 ACP case - and should fit and fire fine, as the pressures are similar, too. If you'll recall, they were made so that Glock could make a single stack .45-ish semi-auto with a smaller grip. I don't have any - or plans to get any - so, no, I haven't tried them.
Stainz, the extractor groove is different on .45 GAP than .45 ACP. The internal case dimensions had to be changed to allow the bullet to seat to correct depth. The GAP also uses a small pistol primer, as opposed to the large pistol primer used in most .45 ACP. I suspect there's an issue with the GAP extractor groove not interfacing correctly when combined with the moon clips & cylinder face of the Governor. That's pure speculation, but it's my educated guess as to why S&W doesn't recommend using GAP ammo in the Governor.

bikemutt
October 24, 2011, 03:45 PM
How far does the bullet jump in the Governor before it hits the cylinder throat?
I'll see if I can get some measurements when I return from pheasant harvest.

TexAg
October 24, 2011, 08:35 PM
They did use the .45GAP in the Guns n Ammo test and noted it was quite accurate in the gun. Can someone confirm S&W does not reccomend GAP?

JFrame
October 25, 2011, 12:26 AM
I love odd-ball guns.

I can't wait to get a S&W Governor. http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/good2.gif

bikemutt
October 25, 2011, 12:28 AM
They did use the .45GAP in the Gun n Ammo test and noted it was quite accurate in the gun. Can someone confirm S&W does not reccomend GAP?
When I bought the gun I asked the counter guy about .45GAP. I have no idea if his retreat to the back office was to read the manual or call Smith but he told me it was not recommended. I could swear I read the same in the manual but it's not with me now, I will check later in the week.

ugaarguy
October 25, 2011, 01:04 AM
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_757821_-1_757814_757812_image - Modern Revolvers, click to download. Ammo info is on page 9, Governor Appendix is on page 28. It makes no mention one way or the other on .45 GAP. It specifically says no .45 Auto Rim in the Governor.

RX-178
October 25, 2011, 03:09 AM
As I recall, .45 Auto Rims have a rim that's too thick to be used in the Governor cylinder without binding it up.

Kernel
October 26, 2011, 03:10 AM
The Governor. Revolvers without locks. The world has turned upside down. S&W is again making firearms people actually WANT to buy. Scandalous! What next? Blued revolvers with plain black sights?

CajunBass
October 26, 2011, 10:00 AM
I'll tell you what. I don't have a Governor/Judge, and don't want one. But if I was a stockholder in Smith & Wesson, and I was watching the Judge jump off the dealers shelves as fast as they do, you can bet your bottom dollar that I'd be wanting to know "Why don't we have one" if Smith & Wesson didn't make one. I wouldn't care if they copied Taurus, RG, or some little green man's from Mars' ray gun.

MCgunner
October 26, 2011, 10:07 AM
I'll tell you what. I don't have a Governor/Judge, and don't want one. But if I was a stockholder in Smith & Wesson, and I was watching the Judge jump off the dealers shelves as fast as they do, you can bet your bottom dollar that I'd be wanting to know "Why don't we have one" if Smith & Wesson didn't make one. I wouldn't care if they copied Taurus, RG, or some little green man's from Mars' ray gun.

And, that's pretty much the reason for the Governor. :D Actually, I think it's GOOD that an old gun company tries to make money. Look what happened to Colt over the years. They got stodgy, quite developing, lost market share.

I love Ruger firearms, but they traditionally haven't had a lot of variety in DA revolvers. If you wanted a pocket .38, before the LCR, where did you go? Smith and Wesson or in my case Taurus were the choices. I think old Bill's death is probably a good thing for Ruger for this reason. They're developing new guns for newish niches, copied Kel Tec with the LCP and the new baby 9. Good on 'em. They're competing for market share and, ya know what, it only makes the competition step up. Competition is good.

Now, however, if Ruger comes out with a .410/.45 Colt revolver, I'll know the world's turned upside down. :rolleyes: :D

FIVETWOSEVEN
October 26, 2011, 10:23 AM
Now, however, if Ruger comes out with a .410/.45 Colt revolver, I'll know the world's turned upside down.

You think that Kel Tec will start making revolvers?

MCgunner
October 26, 2011, 11:45 AM
You think that Kel Tec will start making revolvers?

Nah, too old school. Ruger has broken their ground for 'em with the LCR, anyway. :D KT is all into tacticool worthless shotguns, pistol firiing carbines that fold up, and crap, now. :rolleyes:

browncoatdawn
October 26, 2011, 02:09 PM
I feel that the Governor and the Judge are kind of a novelty, not something I would want, or recomend for carry, which is what I have heard that a lot of people are doing. Perhaps a home defense arm, but it seems big for concealment, a bit unballanced, and the use of a shotshell for a defensive situation out in a possible public area means your'e not as likely to accound for all of the shot.
My best friend uses one as a snake gun, and not much more. He rather likes it for that pest control aspect.

Skribs
October 26, 2011, 07:51 PM
The thing about the governer, which is probably true of Taurus (minus the "it's a Taurus" negatives), is that it's a lot better than the antis say, but worse than what the fanbois say.

If you want a governer, look at what you need it for. Do you want it for hunting small animals or killing snakes? If so, birdshot will be nice, but the antis claim you can get ratshot in standard handgun calibers that will perform better. Personally, I find that .410 birdshot is much easier to find, and it should hit a snake at any range at which you are in danger from the snake.

If you want it for self defense, be VERY careful which rounds you choose. The .45 LC and the 000-buckshot loads are the only ones that meet acceptable penetration. The disc loads, birdshot, and the .410 slugs are inferior (the .45 LC should do better than a .410 slug).
It will only be effective at close range. I'm not sure the exact range, but 10-15 feet is a good bet. If you're defending a large home or want to use it out in the open, get another gun. If you're defending a small apartment or want to put it in your truck console, it's a great choice.

If you want it for bigger game, think again and get something specifically designed to shoot bullets instead of shotgun shells.

MCgunner
October 26, 2011, 07:58 PM
My best friend uses one as a snake gun, and not much more. He rather likes it for that pest control aspect.

A hoe is a lot cheaper and serves as a walking stick. :rolleyes: It's also legal to use inside city limits.

I find that .410 birdshot is much easier to find, and it should hit a snake at any range at which you are in danger from the snake.

I'm only "in danger" from snakes if I'm blindfolded when I'm walking and forget to put my snake boots on. :rolleyes:

JFrame
October 26, 2011, 08:40 PM
If you want it for self defense, be VERY careful which rounds you choose. The .45 LC and the 000-buckshot loads are the only ones that meet acceptable penetration. The disc loads, birdshot, and the .410 slugs are inferior (the .45 LC should do better than a .410 slug).

I can't imagine there aren't a number of .45 ACP loadings that wouldn't be perfectly adequate in the Governor...

Skribs
October 26, 2011, 11:55 PM
I can't imagine there aren't a number of .45 ACP loadings that wouldn't be perfectly adequate in the Governor...

True, I forget that they like the ACP.

Sam Cade
October 27, 2011, 12:07 AM
It's not a copy, it's how a revolver functions.
Lots of ways to skin that particular cat.

In 1970, the Bangor Punta Corporation, then the parent company of Smith & Wesson, purchased 54 percent of Forjas Taurus, allowing the two firearms manufacturers to easily share information regarding design and manufacturing.

In essence, S&W engineers went to Brazil and helped set up production of S&W clones.

bikemutt
October 27, 2011, 07:35 PM
"Originally Posted by RalphS

How far does the bullet jump in the Governor before it hits the cylinder throat?"

The Governor's cylinder to barrel distance is approximately 65mm or 2.56".

A moon clipped .45 ACP casing measures approximately 30mm or 1.18".

So, the bullet would have to travel 35mm in the chamber before it reaches the barrel.

The Governor's barrel is 69mm or 2.71" long.

So 33% of the bullet's journey inside the handgun is within the cylinder chamber.

FIVETWOSEVEN
October 28, 2011, 01:11 AM
KT is all into tacticool worthless shotguns, pistol firiing carbines that fold up, and crap, now.

That shotgun has huge advantages going for it and the Sub 2000 being able to fold up can be useful. Why do you hate such guns? How are they NOW into those guns? When were they not into those guns?

MCgunner
October 28, 2011, 09:46 PM
That shotgun has huge advantages going for it and the Sub 2000 being able to fold up can be useful. Why do you hate such guns? How are they NOW into those guns? When were they not into those guns?

KT started out with small pocket autos. I have a Grendel P12, Kelgren's company before Kel Tec. It's kinda crude, functions fine, but the trigger is abysmal. :D I have a P11, Kel Tec's first product, I bought in 1996, excellent carry. Still one of my favorite daily carries. over 11K rounds through that thing and still accurate and reliable. Then the P3AT came along, etc, etc.

Now, this worthless tacticool stuff. Well, it's not worthless if you picture yourself assaulting a mall or something, but that shotgun does NOT fit my Fudd requirements of balance, fit, and pointability. I'm a hunter, you see, care little about killing people, prefer killing ducks, geese, doves, deer, hogs, rabbits, squirrels, and other such table fare. :D These new Kel Tec long guns are not marketed for guys like me, but I base my opinion on them upon my perspective as a hunter. For ME, they're worthless. Hunting is a one shot, one kill deal and migratory bird hunting rules, federal law, limit magazine capacity to TWO rounds. I wouldn't be interested in that KT shotgun anyway being as its balance and fit and pointability are non-existent.

YMMV The kids all love tacticool. Hunting isn't very popular with youngsters anymore. I'm an anachronism, I know, but leave me alone because I'm an old man set in my ways and you don't wanna see me pissed off.....:D I like what I like and that's the way it is.

Mmm, I'm lost. How did we get to this from the Governor? Weird. Where's my beer, who the hell took my beer!? ................

Damon555
October 29, 2011, 12:17 AM
Just another big ol' clunky looking revolver. But hey, if that's your thing you don't need to worry about me creating an inventory shortage.

oldfool
October 29, 2011, 08:34 AM
"Where's my beer, who the hell took my beer!? ........."

cheer up McG, at least you can probably find your car keys !
(yo, it's just a "sometimers" thing) ;)

What I think we all really really need is a head-to-head da' Gudge vs. da' Jubernator shootout. But it's a bit late in the year for watermelons, and a bit early for snowmen, so...
da' Great Pumpkin Shootout ???

vs da Great Pumpkin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HyUIw5onBk&NR=1

vs da abominable snowman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3XpgrZE2_0

still the all time best 'magnum' load for watermelons
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyonS...eature=related

FIVETWOSEVEN
October 29, 2011, 10:45 AM
KT started out with small pocket autos.

As I recall, the same guy that started Kel Tec, used to make TEC 9s a few years before Kel Tec was made and he made pocket guns. If they aren't your type of guns then keep your opinion to yourself. Alot of people own, use, and propably have a Sub 2000 for HD purposes and alot of people are interested in the KSG for those reasons aswell. Does any one that wants a high capacity shotgun a Mall Ninja?

MCgunner
October 29, 2011, 12:56 PM
As I recall, the same guy that started Kel Tec, used to make TEC 9s a few years before Kel Tec was made and he made pocket guns. If they aren't your type of guns then keep your opinion to yourself.

If you don't like my opinion, either get off this BBS or just ignore it, because BY GAWD I'm going to tell you how it is, like it or not. :neener: ;) Why chat on a BBS if you have to keep your opinions to yourself? Lame, don't ya think? You have the right not to listen, I have the right to speak my mind, so long as this is a public forum, first amendment, ya know. You a commie or somethin'?

The Tec 9, I do not recall that being a Grendel/George Kelgren gun. It was made by Intratec. He did make some 30 shot .22 mag thing IIRC. All this Grendel stuff was pre-Kel Tec and Kelgren had not connection that I know of with Intratec.

Gang banges seemed to love that Tec 9 POS. Of course, when you shoot sideways, it pays to put out some firepower (hoping it won't jam) in the hops that one will hit something. :rolleyes: Great drive by gun.

Mmm, from Wiki

The Intratec TEC-DC9 (TEC-9) is a blowback-operated, semi-automatic firearm, chambered in 919mm Parabellum, and classified by the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives as a handgun. Designed by Intratec, an American offshoot of Interdynamic AB, it is made of inexpensive molded polymers and stamped steel parts. Magazines with 10-, 20-, 32-, -50 and upwards of 72-rounds are made. The three models are referred to as the TEC-9, although only one model was sold under that name.

First, Swedish company Interdynamic AB of Stockholm designed the Interdynamic MP-9 9mm submachine gun. Intended as a cheap submachine gun based on the Carl Gustav M/45 for military applications, Interdynamic did not find a government buyer, so it was brought to US market as open-bolt semi-automatic KG-9 pistol, what was bought in large numbers by criminals and often converted to full-auto. Because of this, ATF forced Interdynamic to redesign it into closed-bolt system, which was harder to convert to full-auto. This variant was called KG-99. It appeared a lot in Miami Vice, where it was legally converted to full-auto by Title II manufacturers.

From 1985 to 1990, TEC-9 was produced. Because of its intimidating appearance and similarity to MP-9, it was favored by Cuban and Jamaican gangs in Miami.

Intratec began as Interdynamic USA, an offshoot of Swedish firearms manufacturer Interdynamic AB. Due to the lack of firearm market in Sweden, Interdynamic AB set up a subsidiary in the United States to sell the KG-9. Called Interdynamic USA, this company eventually became Intratec when George Kelgren left the company and Carlos Garcia renamed it Intratec, and continued to sell variants of KG-99 which was renamed to Tec-9. It went out of business in 2001 under pressure of lawsuits and the anti-gun movement.

Stainz
October 30, 2011, 09:18 AM
I've worn a uniform to defend MCg's right to speak his piece - right or wrong, even if it is the latter most of the time. Okay, I wore bell bottoms and a silly white hat - but the hippies on envied me. Hmmm, this aint 'in public', however - it's someone's forum - we have to play nice.

Join us - the R.O.T.H.M.N.W. (Rotund Over The Hill Mall Ninja Wannabes) clan. We have a new CCW - da Guv'nah:

http://s171.photobucket.com/albums/u307/Stainz_2007/IMG_4646.jpg

Yeah, I need to blacken that holster... learn to shoot sideways... from my walker...

I lost my beer a long time back!

Stainz

oldfool
October 30, 2011, 09:46 AM
"Okay, I wore bell bottoms and a silly white hat"

Yeah, but I bet you never wore velour bell bottoms ! :o
Hey now, the girlz thunk they was pretty cute-n-cool for a short while back-when, and a man will sometimes do things he wouldn't druther.... for just the very 'right' cause, you know, girlin' daze
I did eventually give 'em up for Resistol cowboy hats, Levis, and denim jackets, though.. a revolver worn OWB looks way too silly with bell bottoms, even denim ones
but the Resistol was white (of course)

now... where did I put them doggone car keys ??

but I still do think a Great Pumpkin shoot really would be the pert near perfect thing for the on-topic revolvers in question

bikerdoc
October 30, 2011, 10:03 AM
To each his own opinion.

Im old like Stainz and old fool, I dont need one YMMV.

Oh, and I own 4 flawless tauri, and a bunch of smith and rugers go figure.

Now where is my cane, beer, and truck keys?

BTW Remember the NEHRU jacket and platform shoes?

carbuncle
October 30, 2011, 02:05 PM
what are your thoughts on the smith and Wesson governor

Like it's spiritual cousin the Judge, a solution to a nonexistent problem. Cool toy, but I have no need for one.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

MCgunner
October 30, 2011, 10:00 PM
Oh, well, Nehru Jackets were better than the polyester "leisure suits" of the 70s, I guess. SHEESH, the fashion thing. Maybe that's why there's a Judge and Governor, all about fashion? I never did understand fashion.

You know, now, all the girls walk around in rubber boots, yeah, HONEST TO GOD rubber boots, but with flowers and stuff molded in. You see 'em at the mall shoe stores, over 100 bucks! I used to get steel toed ones, rubber chemical boots, issued to me at the plant. I coulda made a fortune! :rolleyes: It's a friggin' FASHION statement! We saw a girl walking around the park in shorts and her rubber boots, you know, FISHING boots, but fashionable, today. I guess she can get away with it now that the temps are dropped into the 70s. Can you imagine the foot odor if she wore 'em too long in 100 degree heat? WHEEW! I told the wife, I think I'll go put my waders on and take a stroll around the park. :rolleyes:

bikemutt
October 30, 2011, 11:12 PM
Like it's spiritual cousin the Judge, a solution to a nonexistent problem. Cool toy, but I have no need for one.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk
I have to respectfully disagree. If the gun was worthless at mobilizing any or all of it's payloads I might be inclined to agree with you, but that's not the case. I've actually shot every possible round through this thing and it does a decent job with all off them; perfect, no, acceptable, yes.

It's a Leatherman multi-tool of guns. I don't like cleaning fish with my Leatherman but I can, and it does a decent enough job. Plus I can tighten or loosen a screw with it, open a can or bottle, etc.

The Gov and it's apparently low-life cousin, the Judge, are simply an attempt to add versatility to an otherwise purpose-built firearm. With versatility comes compromise. It's not axiomatic that compromise results in uselessness.

RalphS
October 30, 2011, 11:59 PM
I hope everyone buys a Judge/Governor. Leave the good guns for me.

Loosedhorse
December 26, 2011, 06:11 PM
deleted

Elm Creek Smith
December 27, 2011, 12:50 AM
My brother has an Ultra-Lite Judge chambered for the 2 inch, and he likes it. Of course, he uses it as a "truck gun."

I was waiting for the Raging Judge to come out, a six-shot chambered for the 3 inch/.454 Casull! (Naw, just kidding!) I think the Judge and the Governor are about as many .410/.45s as we need.

ECS

NMGonzo
December 27, 2011, 09:05 PM
It's so controversial that I want one now.

460Kodiak
December 27, 2011, 09:09 PM
My signiture line says it all. It applies to the Govenor as well since it's the same concept. If snakes are your worry, then go for it. If not, there are better options.

HiVel1
December 30, 2011, 06:10 PM
"Here come da Judge"no more, now its "whassup GOV?" I like the Gov better just because it is a Smith & Wesson and it shoots lots of different rounds thus enableing it to kill a rotted pear , an armadillo, a rat, a snake, a carjacker, a bunch of yellowjackets, a large black widow spider, a deer, a dog, a cat, a small pig, a raccoon, a possum, a turkey up close, a coyote, a fox, a carp, a duck, a goose, a chicken, a uh...........etc, etc. etc.
You get the point?

Hell of a gun! Fun too. I love mine.

JFrame
December 30, 2011, 08:12 PM
"Here come da Judge"no more, now its "whassup GOV?" I like the Gov better just because it is a Smith & Wesson and it shoots lots of different rounds thus enableing it to kill a rotted pear , an armadillo, a rat, a snake, a carjacker, a bunch of yellowjackets, a large black widow spider, a deer, a dog, a cat, a small pig, a raccoon, a possum, a turkey up close, a coyote, a fox, a carp, a duck, a goose, a chicken, a uh...........etc, etc. etc.
You get the point?

Hell of a gun! Fun too. I love mine.

Oh, man -- I'm worried now...I got mine as a rhesus monkey gun, and I didn't see that on your list... http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/artists/viannen/viannen_06.gif

HiVel1
December 31, 2011, 09:24 AM
The monkeys are protected as they donate the rh factor to our DNA.

JFrame
December 31, 2011, 11:33 AM
The monkeys are protected as they donate the rh factor to our DNA.

Okay -- then armadillos and carjackers, it is! http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/grin.gif

skidder
December 31, 2011, 01:33 PM
Mcgunner-- One thing is true about Taurus, their accuracy is not on trial. I recently sold a Taurus 970 (4 loose chambers) to fund a K22... though, I haven't practiced a lot, that 970 was top dog. My Mark II bull barrel was the closest I had to the 970.

With me, the problem has always been their CS and QC. They let things slide and they don't fix things when you send them in. I'm working on my "bashing" and negative comments, but it will take some time. I realize there are some good ones, "I had one for ten years", but when it comes to accuracy... they are right up there with the best. ;)

GunByte
April 24, 2012, 03:18 AM
"S&W copied Taurus". The next time anyone has the urge to say Ruger copied Kel-Tec or S&W copied Taurus, stop and think about who manufactured the first 1911 and .45 Peacemaker guns and how many companies are now copying those. Plus it does not make your point by saying that. Is a Wilson Custom 1911 a lousy gun because it is a copy of a Colt 1911? Ya see my point. It also does not reflect well on any poster that repeats what has been posted to death by others. if you want to post uninformed opinions, at least make them original uninformed ones. :) Then we know who to blame.

If you enjoyed reading about "smith and wesson governor" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!