Copper Buildup

PDA

Rob999
January 28, 2003, 07:55 AM
hi there. whats the most effective way to remove copper build up in the barrels? appreciate the groups experience with solvent brands. thanks.

regards,

If you enjoyed reading about "Copper Buildup" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
romulus
January 28, 2003, 09:00 AM
I use Shooter's Choice Copper Remover...not every cleaning session, though, and I never let it sit in the barrel longer than 10 minutes.

Every third or fourth session (I clean after each day at the range) then immediately clean with a less aggressive cleaner and lube (FP-10, BreakFree, etc...)

DeBee
January 28, 2003, 10:13 AM
You can also use Sweets 7.62 Solvent for copper fouling.

I recently picked up a Pre War Winchester 70 in .30-06 which looked as if it was never cleaned- there was a coppermine in the barrel...

I plugged the chamber and dripped the solvent in the barrel, sloshed it around with an old .22 brush, and let it sit for the recommended max time...

I swabbed it out and it looked like a blue ink pen exploded in the bore! I had to do this several times before it was clean. Then I had to attack the lead.

Use a nylon brush when dealing with copper solvents.

762x51
January 28, 2003, 11:51 AM
I also use Sweets 7.62. Works like a charm. Make sure you are in a well ventilated area though as the fumes are quite strong.

Kruzr
January 28, 2003, 02:04 PM
I use Butch's Bore Shine for copper removal. It works great for removal of lead, powder and gets the barrel shiny clean. Its expensive so I only use it when I see the copper streaks. It won't hurt the barrel if you leave it too long like most copper solvents. I soak the barrels for 30 minutes and then brush and run patches.

If you enjoyed reading about "Copper Buildup" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!