G17 Barrel Damage?

PDA

Averageman
October 22, 2011, 06:53 PM
I was shopping for a G17 and found a used one locally and as I inspected it I discovered a peculiar flaw on the muzzle.
A near half circle of damge around the lower half of the muzzle nearly a complete half circle. The damage was not exactly concentric and varied in its angle toward the muzzle.
I'm rather new to Glocks but I thought I had seen nearly every way to damage a pistol barrel during my time in the military.
When I pointed this out to the Dealer he was surprised and pulled it from the display and said he was going to call Glock in the morning.
When I asked him the cause of such damage he said he suspected +P+ ammo or very hot handloads, but this doiesn't make sense to me....any ideas folks?
Thanks
A/M

If you enjoyed reading about "G17 Barrel Damage?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ku4hx
October 22, 2011, 07:06 PM
I'd suspect damage from being dropped or some other mechanical mistreatment. But a blow sufficient to do that kind of muzzle damage likely did other damage too. Of course the barrel could have been damaged outside the gun.

You can get a replacement Glock barrel for about $150 so you can do the math and determine if this is a good buy. At some point you're going to reach the point of diminishing returns where the cost of a the refurbished used piece is not significantly different from that of a new one or a used one in much better shape.

Averageman
October 22, 2011, 07:35 PM
I was doing the Math in my head as I looked at it and the price with a discount was under by $200 on a new G17 gen 3.
I got the NIB pistol of course, essentially the guy is in the market to make a profit and I actually think he makes more from the used guns he sells than the new.

If you enjoyed reading about "G17 Barrel Damage?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!