Removing Finger Grooves From a Glock

PDA

e_thunderburd
October 23, 2011, 07:11 PM
I want a Glock 23 for concealed carry but my fingers are too big for the Gen 3 finger grooves. I've considered getting one and having the grooves removed, making it like the Gen 2. Does anyone know of any companies that do this professionally (other than Robar who goes way beyond what I want) or of any other products that have worked well in fixing the problem, possibly filling the grooves in? Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Removing Finger Grooves From a Glock" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dogtown tom
October 23, 2011, 07:24 PM
Why not get a gen 2?

Visit glocktalk. dozens of guys there that have done grip reductions.

helitack32f1
October 23, 2011, 07:31 PM
I am told the grooves on the Gen 4 are less obtrusive than those on a Gen 3. Might be worth a try on the off chance it feels ok to you.

Mike1234567
October 23, 2011, 07:36 PM
Hands/fingers too big for a Glock? If only I had your "problem"...

HoosierQ
October 23, 2011, 08:21 PM
I had that problem with my Glock 19. Hands were too big and my fingers fell on the high points instead of in the grooves. Pachmyer Grip Gloves fixed that problem. They are like a section of inner-tube that you stretch over the grip. Each model is purpose built for the gun. Nice thing about the Grip Gloves is that they have cutouts where the high parts stick through so it all evens out. The rubber they use is, I think maybe "sorbothane" of something like that? Very rubbery, very shock absorbing. I am very happy.

I was a little worried at first in that the sleaves didn't stick in place...kind of slid around a bit. That clears up and they are on there real good now.

Very pleased. There are other models too but the Pachmyer Grip Gloves have those holes that really evens out the front strap.

Dogguy
October 23, 2011, 08:33 PM
This is a simple modification that even a clutz like me has been able to do. Use a basic Dremel tool with a sanding tube from the kit that comes with every Dremel sold. Work slowly from the bottom of the grip. You can use a coarser grit to start with and the polymer will be removed fairly quickly, then move to a finer grit and smooth it out or just use the finest grit and do the whole job. You can even polish it with the buffing attachment and polishing compound if desired. It's an easy fix. Like I said, I really do have poor fine manipulation abilities and I was able to do it.

I've done this with a G19, G26 and G30. It improved my ability to handle them considerably.

The Lone Haranguer
October 23, 2011, 08:36 PM
Something like a wood rasp ought to take those high points right off. :p (I know it sounds flippant, but it is also true.)

FIVETWOSEVEN
October 23, 2011, 08:45 PM
Something is wrong with you because Glocks are perfect! /sarcasm

One thing I've never liked about Glocks. I would prefer to have the option of adding the grooves if I want to instead of something coming with them.

GLOOB
October 24, 2011, 03:16 AM
^ But they're a heck of a lot easier to remove than to put back on!

FIVETWOSEVEN
October 24, 2011, 10:22 AM
Hogue slip on grips.

Onmilo
October 24, 2011, 10:31 AM
Just grind them off, I used a Foredom rotary tool and a medium grit cylindrical stone on my G34.
One of these days I am going to stipple it but the end result doesn't bother me so no hurry.:)
http://www.fototime.com/013F4FD0F148958/standard.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/6A5440149E737D8/standard.jpg

waidmann
October 24, 2011, 12:20 PM
+1 for Dogguy, just take it easy, don't get in a hurry. You may also wish to relieve a bit from the underside of the triggerguard.

RedAlert
October 24, 2011, 02:40 PM
I would caution removing any material from the trigger guard. Not only does it protect the trigger, it is a brace for the overall frame. It provides rigidity and stability during firing.

A minor amount of "rounding the corners" shouldn't be a problem, but removing enough to change the "cross-section" of the trigger guard wouldn't be a good idea in my opinion.

Onmilo
October 24, 2011, 03:41 PM
You can round the front of the guard if you want but I wouldn't recommend cutting into the back of the triggerguard either.

I couldn't shoot my G34 as well as I could my Gen ll G19 until I ground the finger grooves off!

KevinB
October 29, 2011, 10:42 AM
Check out www.coldborecustom.com. The owner, Mr. Owens does awesome work for reasonable prices. I know some members from this site have posted some pics of their guns that he has worked on, try a search. He customized my Glock 19 and I couldn't be happier with the gun or the service.

Here, found a thread: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=513393&highlight=Cold+bore

And I forgot, Lane Owens is a member here as well.

W.E.G.
October 29, 2011, 10:53 AM
Removing the bumps on a Glock grip frame.

Skill Level 1.

ku4hx
October 29, 2011, 01:31 PM
+1 on the Gen2. My Gen4 19 is pretty much the same as to finger grooves as my Gen3 23. The Gen4's grip does feel a mite slimmer.

But if you immediately have comfort problems, why not investigate a different gun altogether?

msparks
October 29, 2011, 07:33 PM
FYI, if you want to reduce the value of your Glock go ahead and make modifications.

What's wrong with finding a manufacture that makes a frame/grip you like. You can then keep it or sell it without losing a tremendous amount of money on it.

I thought about doing some mods to a Glock frame, then I decided to get what I really wanted. The Glock is sold for about the same price I paid for it.

Damon555
October 29, 2011, 08:37 PM
What msparks said. Unless you never plan on selling it. Just get a pistol with the grip that you want. All of the major manufacturers make fine weapons.....no matter what people complain about on the internet.

AK103K
October 29, 2011, 09:29 PM
I have yet to find one that was "grippy" enough in the grip for me, regardless who makes it. Glocks (and a couple of others) are just a lot easier to modify that way, and its the whole, complete grip, as well as a few other places, and not just a couple of stick on panels or grips. No expensive trips to the gunsmith needed, the work is easily done yourself.

They are your guns, so do what you want with them. Some people actually pay good money to have the same mods done, so you may well get a premium if you do decide to sell, instead of lose money.

DougW
October 30, 2011, 12:28 AM
Dremel + Glock 19 3rd gen = "fit's my hand".

"Fixed" mine, works perfectly now.

fal762x51
October 30, 2011, 02:38 AM
I would agree with others that this will destroy the resale value of the Glock.
In fact, i doubt most people would even consider buying it.

AK103K
October 30, 2011, 09:27 AM
Modifying anything can destroy its value to some. To others, the same mods would be the schnitz. It all depends on what someone is looking for. Look at it this way, people actually "pay", for pink guns.

Some seem to crave the Glock mods enough to pay someone well to do it, so it must have some value. Do a web search, and you'll find a number of companys that do these very modifications, and make good money doing them.

Heres a few from just one search.....

http://www.robarguns.com/glock.htm (Seems to me, Robar "devalues" 1911's too. :) )

http://www.bowietacticalconcepts.com/pictures.html

http://www.burnscustom.com/glock.html

fal762x51
October 30, 2011, 10:28 AM
Modifying anything can destroy its value to some. To others, the same mods would be the schnitz. It all depends on what someone is looking for. Look at it this way, people actually "pay", for pink guns.

Some seem to crave the Glock mods enough to pay someone well to do it, so it must have some value. Do a web search, and you'll find a number of companys that do these very modifications, and make good money doing them.

The problem is with a resale, you have to find the right buyer. People that want those modifications go looking for companies to do them. A guy trying to sell a used modified Glock is going to have a hard time finding a person who just happens to be looking for those modifications.

It doesn't just apply to Glocks, it applies to all guns. You usually don't get your money out of modifications because you won't be able to find the right buyer.

AK103K
October 30, 2011, 12:15 PM
Your right, with any of them, you have to find the buyer that wants what you have. Depending on how you sell, you may have an easier time here than someone else. I usually sell on consignment at a couple of local shops, and have had good results doing so. If you dont have the coverage/exposure you get selling through a dealer, or GB etc, then it will probably be a lot tougher. But with someone who has a lot of people moving through, I doubt it would be a problem.

Ive seen, and sold myself, guns that were "different" than factory, and they always seemed to go pretty quick, and not at a loss any worse than a factory gun Ive sold. In some cases the "different" guns made more because of the modifications. What does amaze me is, that guns with some of the aftermarket "junk" people put on them, sell like they do. These days, looks seem to be more important to some than function and quality.

Other than a few specific "factory" guns (HK's and Colts mostly), rarely have I ever made back close to what I paid for them when I did sell them. Its just the nature of the beast.

jfrey
October 30, 2011, 12:25 PM
+1 for Cold Bore Custom. Lane does good work.

Onmilo
October 30, 2011, 12:53 PM
Frankly, if you are buying guns and always worrying about the resale value, you aren't really into guns,,,

Dogguy
October 30, 2011, 09:12 PM
Agreed.

Best way to protect resale value is to never use it and keep it locked up.

Rail Driver
October 30, 2011, 09:14 PM
I like the finger grooves on my G26 (they fit my fingers better than any other grooves I've found) so I left them, however I did reduce the hump in the back and stipple the grip (and did a few other things). If the OP wants to see a picture to see an idea of what can be done I'd be happy to show.

KevinB
October 30, 2011, 09:23 PM
People get so worked up over losing the "re-sale value" of a modified Glock. Seriously? I don't even care to fathom how many millions of these things are floating around in this country alone. My Glock 19 is hardly a collectable. If you happen to own something that saw action in WWII and has all matching serial numbers or something, you might wanna hold off on customization. If you wanna make your Glock work better for you, go for it. If for whatever reason you do decide to sell it, you'll probably get the same used price at the gun show as all the hundreds of other ones floating around, give or take fifty bucks depending on the day, and how bad you wanna sell it.

AK103K
October 30, 2011, 09:24 PM
Best way to protect resale value is to never use it and keep it locked up.
Is that even possible?! :what: :)

Stasher1
October 30, 2011, 09:58 PM
I would agree with others that this will destroy the resale value of the Glock.
In fact, i doubt most people would even consider buying it.
I removed the finger grooves on my G26 and had no trouble at all finding a buyer. There are lots of folks out there that don't like the Gen III finger grooves. As long as you do a good job removing them, you won't have a problem finding a buyer.

Onmilo
October 31, 2011, 10:05 AM
Especially if you clean up the grinding with some good stippling work,,,which I need to do on mine,,,if I was ever going to sell it,,,, which I won't.

FruitCake
October 31, 2011, 06:02 PM
I would just grind them off. If your worried about resale just get an Smith Wesson MP I don't think they have grooves.

fal762x51
November 1, 2011, 01:28 AM
Frankly, if you are buying guns and always worrying about the resale value, you aren't really into guns

I have been collecting and shooting guns for about 30 years, and I am pretty sure I am "into" guns. Additionally I collect a variety of other things of a valuable and semi-valuable nature, and to say that resale value is unimportant is crazy talk.

e_thunderburd
November 13, 2011, 01:03 AM
That right there is about what I had in mind, but with a little more tooling to make it more cosmetically appealing (like the Gen 2).

e_thunderburd
November 13, 2011, 01:31 AM
Double thanks to those who recommended Cold Bore Customs. They have a "finger bump removal" for $15 that sounds exactly like what i wanted and would fit my budget perfectly. (finger bumps? I would never have thought to search for that)
i want the most modern gun i can without buying a new one, so no gen 2. I can get a used one for about $350-$400 on a good day.
I don't make much money so whatever i buy will be with me for years before i sell it, if i ever do. Forget about resale value; i buy stuff and run it till it drops.
Thanks again. As far as i am concerned the subject is closed. That's why the caps.

helitack32f1
November 13, 2011, 01:42 AM
Considering that the only thing Glock really changed between Gen 2 and Gen 3 G 23's was the addition of finger groves, it seems to me to be extremely odd that you would insist on buying a gun WITH finger grooves, thereby necessitating their removal, rather than just buying the identical gun WITHOUT the grooves.

Also keep in mind that Gen 3 guns seem to be having many more quality issues than Gen 2's.

e_thunderburd
November 13, 2011, 01:48 AM
That's probably because most people aren't using the Gen2s anymore. Currently most of the people and departments who carry Glocks are carrying Gen3s When the Gen4s really take off, there probably won't be many reports on the Gen3s either. Besides, like I said, I want the newest gun I can get without actually purchasing a new one.

leadcounsel
November 13, 2011, 02:43 AM
I saw one that had the groves removed and stipled very professionally. I liked it.

I have the same fat fingers/big hands problem. It's not unmanagable, but it's annoying and I'd like to remove them too.

GLOOB
November 13, 2011, 09:37 PM
Modifying your Glock won't destroy the resale value as much as it will shrink the target market. Even there, I doubt you'd have any trouble selling it.

There are plenty of people out there that would either do the same thing themselves, or buy your modified gun to send to a professional for more work.

shootandfish1
November 17, 2011, 01:48 AM
hi Folks, I'm in the same boat also. my solution is to trade my 19 for a 26. The g26/27 as the same size 'finger-groove' as the g17/22, just one less.

Dogguy
November 17, 2011, 11:14 AM
I removed the finger grooves on my G26 and found this to be a big improvement.

If you enjoyed reading about "Removing Finger Grooves From a Glock" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!