Conceal carry a suppressed handgun?

PDA

spartand003
October 23, 2011, 11:10 PM
I what to know, purely out of curiosity, if conceal or open carrying a suppressed firearm (rifle included) would be legal. Since it's considered another firearm would this work?

If you enjoyed reading about "Conceal carry a suppressed handgun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kozak6
October 24, 2011, 12:45 AM
It depends on what you can own it in your state, and if you can open carry in your area.

I'm would imagine there aren't any particular laws that say something like "open carry is generally lawful unless you have a suppressor equipped", but I'm not a 2nd Amendment lawyer.

Of course, that doesn't mean it's a good idea to actually carry as such. Which it isn't.

spartand003
October 24, 2011, 01:25 AM
No, I wasn't thinking it was a good idea, but it seemed like something that I should look in to.

MasterSergeantA
October 24, 2011, 07:11 PM
As kozak pointed out, it depends...

In Arizona, I can carry anything I like...openly or concealed. Not the case in the occupied territories. Some places do allow carrying a firearm, but do NOT permit suppressors at all. So the two are quite different.

Prince Yamato
October 24, 2011, 11:26 PM
You're looking at three separate laws:
1) legality of suppressor
2) legality of nfa weapon carrying
3) legality of pistol carrying

In Texas you can own a suppressor, you can carry any weapon but a pistol openly or concealed, and you can carry a pistol concealed. So, yes, you can ccw a suppressed pistol. It's rather difficult to do physically because of barrel length (unless you're talking about a mark ii integral or something like that), but it's aok legally and frankly, not the big deal everyone makes it out to be.

Jim K
October 25, 2011, 02:04 PM
IMHO, a very bad idea. Assuming you carry a gun for self defense, not to show off or pretend to be some kind of cowboy hero, you might have to use that gun. If you do, I GUARANTEE you will be in a lot of trouble if the gun has a suppressor.

In theory, whether a shooting is justified does not depend on the weapon involved. In the real world, a suppressor is going to get every cop you encounter excited and the prosecutor will froth at the mouth in an effort to bring to trial someone who "wanted to kill without detection, an evil monster who thinks, in his warped brain, that he is some kind of secret agent...." The press will have a field day, demanding you be thrown in jail for at least life, if not immediately executed.

Again, IMHO, forget carrying a gun with a suppressor.

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "Conceal carry a suppressed handgun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!