H&R barrel swap

PDA

wordfan
October 24, 2011, 12:05 PM
Has anyone here had H&R fit a second barrel to their receiver? I have a twenty gauge NEF single shot that I received as a gift for my 12th birthday back in the early nineties, and I'd like to turn it into a slug gun. The price listed on their website looks very reasonable, especially compared to the cost of a rifled slug barrel for my 1300. Will they fit a 12 gauge barrel to a 20 gauge frame? And am I really giving up anything, as far as a whitetail rig goes, by going with 20 gauge sabot slugs over 12? Thanks ahead of time for your responses.

P.S. I also notice on the website that they tell you to send your frame and forearm via UPS or USPS. Are there legality issues there, and would they be able to ship it back to me, or would it have to go to an FFL?

If you enjoyed reading about "H&R barrel swap" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
thunder173
October 24, 2011, 12:15 PM
CAUTION!!! Acquiring additional barrels for H&R/NEF's can become addictive!!!

Seriously,...I have sent my receiver and forearm back twice to have addition barrels fitted without issue. You can have a shotgun or rifle barrel fitted to a rifle receiver, .....but ONLY a shotgun or black powder rifle barrel to a shotgun receiver according to H&R/NEF rebarreling information.

I have used 20 gauge's for deer over the years. The only thing I found that I gave up using a 20 vs a 12,..was the sore shoulder of that 12 thumping on me......the 20 gauge gets them just as dead at MY shooting distances.....

I would suggest you contact them direct, give them the serial number of your receiver, and they can tell you what barrels you can have fitted to it,..if any at all.

ymmv

Chawbaccer
October 24, 2011, 12:56 PM
They will ship it right to your door, no FFL involved since it is already your gun.

rule303
October 24, 2011, 02:37 PM
The standard 12ga barrel will fit on your reciever, but the rifled 12ga rifled barrel will not. The factory 12ga slug gun is built on a 10ga frame. H&R will not sell you a barrel directly, they require you to send the reciever in to have it fitted. There are however, a lot of sources for barrels out there, and most will fit with little or no fitting required. Just don't try to put a rifle barrel on your shotgun reciever.

dprice3844444
October 25, 2011, 12:30 AM
get the barrel threaded for a rifled choke

If you enjoyed reading about "H&R barrel swap" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!