Informal 380 testing

PDA

iblong
October 24, 2011, 11:44 AM
I did some informal 380 testing this weekend to compare bullet
performance in my hand loads.This was not ment to simulate what
it does in a bad guy but a commparison of bullets in the same media.I filled folgers plastic coffee containers with shreaded
paper packed tight filled with water and let sit over night.
Sorry I did not take pics.
the distance was 7yds with 4 containers back to back.
I loaded 90 gr gold dots to just a bit over 1000 fps.on my crony.The Gold dots penitrated to the back of the second cont.
and had very uniform expantion looked like they were cookie cutter even.The expanded to .447 .448 .448 .450 and they stayed intact.this is prety much what I expected.
For grins and giggles I decieded to test My wifes target loads
I make her.These consist of a 95gr Montana Gold brass jacketed hollow point loaded to 975fps.I did not expect any expantion from these bullets as they are usually just target fodder bullets.My expantion results were as follows,.455 .458 .463 .465.468. I tested several more to see if it was a fluke and they all expanded mor than the glod dots
penitration was as good if not better but they all had jacket and core seperation with the jacket stopping about an inch before the bullet.The jackets were compleatly intact and pealed back very evenly in a star and were very sharp on the pedals.Some of you hand loaders might want to test these out your self and compare results.Its nice to know that my target loads would probabaly do well in a pinch.Oh and the test gun was a Sig 238.

If you enjoyed reading about "Informal 380 testing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bjs1187
October 24, 2011, 11:47 AM
Good stuff. I take it the coffee can worked to your liking?

iblong
October 24, 2011, 11:53 AM
Did not have any water jugs left,but they worked fine for what I was doing.
The plastic is much thicker than water jugs and I dont think that helped pennitration much but just for commparing bullets in the same media it worked.Plus they were a lot easier to pack tight.

If you enjoyed reading about "Informal 380 testing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!