Need Bullet Advise

PDA

MGRAY
October 24, 2011, 07:11 PM
Hi, new to reloading, so looking for answers as I go. Was wondering what bullet would be recomended for low recoil target shooting. 38 special, shot from my GP 100 6". Does the lighter bullet still offer accuracy as the heavier? RNFP or SWC? Thanks for any help.....Marty

If you enjoyed reading about "Need Bullet Advise" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ljnowell
October 24, 2011, 07:54 PM
If you are looking for a powder puff target load, I would recommend Missouri Bullets 148gr DEWC. It requires a very small powder charge and would be a very economical plinker load.

I also like the Missouri Bullet 158gr LSWC, you can get it in different hardnesses. I use the harder bullet, an 18bhn, for full power magnum loads with 2400 and the lighter one for plinkers using AA#2.

Cherokee
October 24, 2011, 08:07 PM
Light weight cast bullets can give fine accuracy. The WC is a good choice, or some of the lighter 125-140 gr bullets. I like Penn Bullets http://www.pennbullets.com/ and Bob has a good selection.

J2FLAN
October 24, 2011, 08:45 PM
The 148gr dewc over 2.7gr BE is VERY soft shooting and as accurate as you can hold. Right now I loading the DARDAS cast bullets, but I tryed the same style bullets most of the major casters and didn`t find much differance.

kingmt
October 24, 2011, 08:45 PM
158gr .357 action from MBC is the only lead I've tried but it is very easy shooting with bullseye.

I haven't tried it but I bet Red Dot would make a soft load.

MGRAY
October 24, 2011, 09:11 PM
I had shot some 130 rnfp with 3.6 of Titegroup. Less felt recoil, but didn't get a chance to shoot enough to check for accuracy. I was going to order some bullets, and wanted to know if there was any advantage to using wc vs round nose? Casual target shooting at 25 yards mostly. Thanks...Marty

rcmodel
October 24, 2011, 09:27 PM
The 148 grain wad-cutter, either hollow-base swaged, or double end cast has been doing what you want for at least 75 years or more.

As J2FLAN said, that 148 WC bullet over 2.7 Bullseye kicks like a .22 and shoots like a house afire.

It has won enough NRA center-fire gold to fill Derek Jeter's house clear to the rafters in the gable ceilings.

rc

Hondo 60
October 24, 2011, 10:47 PM
http://store.thehuntingshack.com/hsmplatedhandgunbullets.aspx

I use plated bullets from The Hunting Shack.
It costs more than lead, but it's the least expensive plated bullet I've found.
And it has a cannelure for crimping.

4.3 gr of Tite Group with 125 gr hp & you'll have almost a mouse fart type load.
(and you can even try 4 or 4.1 gr )

Deavis
October 25, 2011, 05:40 PM
MBC 158SWC over a mid-range Titegroup charge. Easy to shoot, very accurate, easier to load than the DEWC (I think), and cuts great holes in paper.

Revolver218
October 25, 2011, 05:57 PM
Nice thing about .38 reloading is choice. Hornady makes a 148gr HBWC that loads easily and, with 2.7 Bullseye or 3.0 W231, is easy to shoot. I buy bullets from Rim Rock Bullet Co. and have been pleased with their service, price and quality. I shoot both their 148 gr DWEC and SWC as well as the 158 gr SWC using 3.2 gr of W231 on the 148 gr and 3.5 on the 158 gr SWC.

Searcher4851
October 26, 2011, 12:47 PM
For punching holes in paper, a 148 grain wadcutter has been in use a long time. Thousands of target shooters seem to think it works well. I don't disagree. I've been shooting them for 30 years or so, and have no complaints.

Super Sneaky Steve
October 26, 2011, 10:00 PM
I use Berry's 158gr round nose plated bullets. The lead bullets I used before were kinda messy with the lube and some weren't cast very well. I spent a lot of time scraping off lube with a tooth pick and cleaning it out of my dies.

With the heavy bullet you use less powder and most .357's .38's were made to shoot 158 grain bullets the best.

The round nose bullet also lets me plink my plastic Duraseal targets. A semi wadcutter will knock it around too much while the RN will make it move but not destroy my spinners and bowling pin cut out.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need Bullet Advise" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!