Bersa thunder 380

PDA

JSpear
October 24, 2011, 09:03 PM
A friend has a bersa thunder 380 he wants to get ride of for $200, it's in great shape, and shoots well, I would like to know from those who own one, is it a good gun? Decent for CC, reliable, and other basic stuff. thanks in advance!

If you enjoyed reading about "Bersa thunder 380" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jeb21
October 24, 2011, 09:12 PM
It is an excellent gun, far better in my opinion than the current crop of Walther PPk from Smith. If the weapon is in good shape then I would go for it.

JERRY
October 24, 2011, 09:22 PM
get it! they are a best kept secret for now..........

MedWheeler
October 24, 2011, 10:23 PM
Countless thread material here on them, nearly all of which is positive. It's heavier and bigger than the "keychain" guns, so it's not quite as easy to concealed-carry, but that extra size and heft makes it much better a fighting pistol than they are. Go for it. Mine has been great. I carried it exclusively for nearly two years. Two Benjamins is fair.

torrejon224
October 24, 2011, 11:22 PM
Owned one and wished I had kept it. Perefct size for the .380 and makes shooting it fun say compared to the Ruger LCP or KelTec P3AT which hurt like hell to fire. Solid, well built and the trigger isn't bad either. Go for it!

.338Sako
October 24, 2011, 11:28 PM
I have owned two, both great guns! I sold the single stack mag version and bought the double stack mag(16 rounds). never ever had a problem with either. The s stack mag had around 350 rounds through it without a hitch. The d stack mag has had about 50 run through it no problems. Sounds like a good deal. Wears good on the ankle. Good luck!

Dnaltrop
October 25, 2011, 01:09 AM
the finish is a little rough, I just think that it's how they hide them from the wider market.

If they polished them a bit more there wouldn't be enough to go around!

My old man's EDC when he's not carrying a CZ-82. it took about 200 rounds to smooth out, (grip is a bit small for us as well) but it's been flawless since. Good action.

I like what I've gotten out of his .380 enough to keep teasing myself with the .45 acp, slightly larger framed one at the LGS.

ArchAngelCD
October 25, 2011, 02:34 AM
A friend has a bersa thunder 380 he wants to get ride of for $200, it's in great shape, and shoots well, I would like to know from those who own one, is it a good gun? Decent for CC, reliable, and other basic stuff. thanks in advance!
If it's such a good gun ask your friend why he's getting rid of it.

I'm not a fan of Bersa or any of the guns made in Brazil. There are other options out there which are better.

Dnaltrop
October 25, 2011, 03:14 AM
Thought they were Argentine, ArchAngel.

Hmmn, wonder if my fondness for Bersa has any roots in shooting the Argentine Mauser when I was younger.

bikerdoc
October 25, 2011, 06:17 AM
I got mine for 200 also, great weapon that has functioned flawlessly.

And this is fron a CZ snob

ultradoc
October 25, 2011, 09:22 AM
I liked mine so much that I decided to get another to keep it company. Go for it.

JSpear
October 25, 2011, 01:08 PM
Thanks every one for your input!! I am going to buy it!! I will post how it does at the range in like a week or so. Oh, and the reason he is selling it is that he and his wife are about to have their second child and the extra cash would help. Thanks again all!

Scimmia
October 25, 2011, 01:17 PM
I would suggest shooting it before buying it. For some reason, the bottom of the grip seems to bite my hand a bit when I shoot it. Feels good just holding it, but firing it is different.

rondog
October 25, 2011, 01:26 PM
$200? Buy it!!! Great little guns for the price.

DAdams
October 25, 2011, 03:56 PM
Great shooter. I have over 800 trouble free rounds through mine.

Watch the grip screw and rear sight screw. They tend to loosen and need checking each time you clean them.

There is a good BERSA Forum around.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/P1290026-1.jpg

Here is mine with and extended magazine in place.

JimKirk
October 25, 2011, 10:48 PM
I bought one for my wife ... that guns shoots very well... so does the wife...I would not want to be a target. We've put a couple hundred rounds thru it and no problems with it so far... it was a little rough to start ... with but has slickened up very well. Magazines are kinda pricey... but no more than some of the other guns out there....

btg3
October 25, 2011, 11:09 PM
I enjoy plinking with my Bersa .380 but choose 624 and M&Pc for CC. If I carried .380 it would be P3AT for the small size.

$200 for the Thunder is a good price for a good gun. You won't regret it.

LibShooter
October 26, 2011, 12:38 AM
$200 seems like a good deal. Get it.

My wife loves her Bersa Thunder 380. So do I. Thinking about getting a 9mm version.

DallasCop2566
October 26, 2011, 01:16 AM
I took a Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact Pro Duotone 9mm in trade for an old shotgun. I assumed (there is that dreaded word) I had traded for a junk gun.

About that time I purchased a Sig Sauer P226 and wanted to fire it. Took the Bersa to just see if it would fire and was reliable. I LOVE THE DANG THING. It is now my conceal carry.

I have the 13 + 1 version, over 3000 rounds through it, some old ammunition and to this point never a miss feed, miss fire or fail to eject. There is one caution. Use only Bersa manufactured magazines.

A friend purchased an identical weapon on my recommendation, but purchased two Pro Mag magazines.
Terrible miss feed problems, switch to my Bersa magazines, no problems.

There also is no easier weapon to disassemble and maintain.

JSpear
October 26, 2011, 01:23 AM
I've now got my new weapon. I have looked it over from front to back, it has had very little use, my friend has only put like 50 rounds down range, so he says, but there is no slide wear, everything looks brand new on it, I have cleaned it all the thro, every nook and crany, almost no residue, I think I just got a steal!! I'll be going to the range in like a week to 2 weeks, I will post a rNge report on this gun, thank you to all how have commented, you help with my decision, and I think I've got a great deal for a even better price!

JSpear
October 26, 2011, 01:25 AM
By the way, if you have more info, please post, I'm alwYs trying to learn more!

hobgob
October 26, 2011, 01:34 AM
I am really interested in these pistols. I have handled them at gun stores along side similar sig and walther models and the Bersa was more comfortable and solid than both. The controls were more accessable as well. I would love to take one to the range. please give a Range report asap. I have quite a few points on my cabelas card to use. haha.

DallasCop2566
October 26, 2011, 01:36 AM
It is made in Argentina, not Brazil.

Dnaltrop
October 26, 2011, 01:40 AM
Just bear in mind it may need a bit more breaking in, My old man's .380 had some feed issues for the first 3 boxes of rounds when shooting SB.

After the 4th box, hasn't been a hiccup since. Side by side it eats rounds as well as the CZ-82 that it mimics. (Also an iconic Carry gun in the same price range )

JSpear
October 26, 2011, 01:46 AM
I will post a range report, it'll be two weeks, but I will put 200 rounds thro, I'll let y'all know as soon as I do!! And thanks for all the help!!

MenaceMan47
October 26, 2011, 02:07 AM
I helped a friend find one online years back, he kept the gun for years but had to sell it because he lost his job and had to pay bills. Sucks .380 is as expensive as it is, but was a very reliable gun and I wanted one for a while, too. Neat pistols, and never saw it jam with Winchester or Remington ammo.

DallasCop2566
October 26, 2011, 02:13 AM
As far as the Bersa Thunder .380 goes, I bought one, then another for my son and will buy a third for a neighbor that was recently widowed.

All to this point have been the 7 + 1 version and both in nickel finish as they are easier to keep clean and seem to resist dirt and especially perspiration better than the mat finish.

I highly recommend these pistols. Reliable and come with a life time warranty and much less expensive than most offered .380 pistols.

DallasCop2566
October 26, 2011, 02:58 AM
The new Bersa Products catalog is available on-line, just click the link below:

http://www.bersa.com/skin/frontend/blank/theme063/images/media/BersaCatalog.pdf

SIGLBER
October 26, 2011, 03:05 AM
Bersa Thunder is allot bettr gun than the PPK's I've owned. Better trigger, less recoil, more reliable. Recently got a Thunder .22 and it's a great little .22.
Every bit the gun it's bigger brother is.

Robert101
October 26, 2011, 11:09 AM
I have a Browning DBA and my daughter has the Bursa Thunder. I loaded some max reloads that pounded by DBA but the Bursa handled them with ease. The 380 is a round that is very effective when loaded to about 1,000 fps. I can't really load past 900 fps for the DBA. My point is that the Bersa not only shoots well but it can handle better loads in the 380 caliber.

group17
October 26, 2011, 12:06 PM
Great pistol and very reliable.

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/2896/bersa3809.jpg

Dr_B
October 26, 2011, 12:26 PM
If you want one, and find one for $200 or less, snatch it up immediately.

MedWheeler
October 26, 2011, 11:40 PM
JSpear, did anyone point you to www.bersachat.com yet?

Dogguy
October 27, 2011, 04:33 PM
Mine has been totally reliable from the first shot. That is unlike my PPK/S which has taken a lot of shooting to loosen up enough to only hiccup once in a while.

I was not impressed with it at first but it grew on me after a few range trips. Feeds FMJ in all configurations and all the premium JHP ammo I've been able to afford to try. Seems to shoot accurately from the short ranges I've used, sights are really quite good. Trigger is not the best but you can adapt to it. Magazines are a little more expensive than I like but they are not outrageous like some brands. It weighs less than my all-steel PPK/S but the barrel is a little longer. I can pocket carry in a Nemesis or Uncle Mike's holster if the pants fit loosely and the pockets are wide and deep. Carrying in a belt holster should be very comfortable, depending on the holster. I can't recall ever CC mine due to caliber but it's easier to hit with than my usual S&W J-frame pocket gun. I think I paid $260 more or less for mine new. Prices locally range from around $280 these days for the basic models. New ones come with a lifetime service agreement--don't know if it's limited to original purchaser or not. Two hundred bucks is a good price for one in the reported condition.

spiroxlii
October 28, 2011, 02:51 AM
I have a Bersa Thunder 380 and I had a Bersa Thunder 9mm Ultra Compact. I love both. I sold the 9mm to cover some unexpected bills and because it wasn't as concealable as my S&W 637. I couldn't hide it easily, and I already owned a non-concealable 9mm (S&W 5903, Gwinnett County PD trade-in). It shot very well, though.

I still have the .380. It's not my daily carry, since I have an LCP now, but I still prefer shooting it at the range, because it's accurate and easy to handle.

harmon rabb
October 28, 2011, 10:27 AM
Just bear in mind it may need a bit more breaking in, My old man's .380 had some feed issues for the first 3 boxes of rounds when shooting SB.

After the 4th box, hasn't been a hiccup since. Side by side it eats rounds as well as the CZ-82 that it mimics. (Also an iconic Carry gun in the same price range )
Mimicks a cz-82? Huh?

But yes, the cz-82 is a great carry gun if you don't mind the fat grip. 13rd mags, outstanding trigger, very reliable.

JSpear
October 28, 2011, 12:28 PM
Thank you for the link MedWheeler!

Dnaltrop
October 28, 2011, 03:08 PM
Ok, if "mimic" is not as palatable, how about " from the family of fixed barrel. .380s/9mm Mak that share similar designs" including the PPK etc... I just rarely even think of that gun after shooting the CZ.

Happier now?

harmon rabb
October 28, 2011, 03:18 PM
Ok, if "mimic" is not as palatable, how about " from the family of fixed barrel. .380s/9mm Mak that share similar designs" including the PPK etc... I just rarely even think of that gun after shooting the CZ.

Happier now?
Eh, the only thing the CZ-82 shares with the PP / Commie PP copy family is a fixed barrel and method of field stripping. Everything else about the CZ is completely different. The czechs had more pride than to copy a design -- they couldn't even adopt the AK and had to go design their own.

And, really, the only commie PP / PPK copies are the PA-63 and P-64. The Makarov and P-83's are completely different.

So, no, I'm still not happier :D

Dnaltrop
October 28, 2011, 04:30 PM
Thppppppppt! :D

MICHAEL T
October 29, 2011, 12:24 AM
http://bersachat.com All you need to know about Bersa is found here. Plus we can save you money on mags , Have Give aways , and lots of good fun.

come visit and stay a while.

rondog
October 29, 2011, 01:02 AM
http://bersachat.com All you need to know about Bersa is found here. Plus we can save you money on mags , Have Give aways , and lots of good fun.

come visit and stay a while.

Huh, I was a member, but haven't been there in a while. Guess I either forgot my unsername and/or password, or got deleted. I see it's vBulletin now? That's cool! It was something else before and I didn't like the format, that kept me away.

jackpinesavages
October 29, 2011, 01:16 AM
I found a 380 cc in the classifieds here with ammo for 180, IIRC. Excellent pistol, my wife enjoys shooting it, and I'm still rather impressd with the ergos for my bigger hands! Impressive build quality for the price point.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bersa thunder 380" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!