Looking For A Good Plinker 9mm

PDA

///AMG
October 24, 2011, 08:16 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. I've been reading around and decided to join and seek some advice.

I'm looking for a pistol to shoot at the range and home for fun. I don't have any plans to conceal it. I already have a .22 revolver and would like to buy my first semi auto. I've shot a few semi autos. I've spent the most time with a friends TT-33. I'm looking for something similar, but figured a 9mm would be better because the rounds are cheaper and non corrosive. My budget is around $300. I'd like to stay under, but if I have to go over to get a nice reliable firearm I will.

I'm thinking about a Glock G17, Beretta 92FS, or a CZ 75B. I've seen these guns sell within my range, but from reading around that seems pretty low. Is there some better options out there for me? I've considered a Makarov or CZ 52, but am concerned with the availability of ammo. 9mm is cheaper and more readily available. I'm hoping to go to a gunshow in the next few weeks so I was hoping to have a good idea of some pistols to keep an eye out for and fair prices for them in used condition. Any help is greatly appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking For A Good Plinker 9mm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JERRY
October 24, 2011, 08:19 PM
RIA 9mm.

97guns
October 24, 2011, 08:29 PM
my brother just bought a ruger p95 for $300, they are well built reliable weapons that the us army uses.

SharpsDressedMan
October 24, 2011, 08:40 PM
Browning HP, Beretta 92FS, CZ75, Walther P99. All great carry and range guns. You can't go wrong with any of them.

Mr.Blue
October 24, 2011, 08:54 PM
CZ 75B, but you'll have to get a used one for $300. I got a new one for $465. It's worth every penny.

MikePaiN
October 24, 2011, 09:18 PM
Wow....///AMG. You almost can't go wrong. :)
Just to keep this simple, I bought a few pistols recently that really have impressed me. They are both ergonomically awesome, 100% reliable and a pleasure to shoot. I'm going to suggest you look at a Ruger SR9/SR9c and the Beretta PX4/PX4 Compact

CZ57
October 24, 2011, 09:58 PM
Don't own one, but if my budget was $300, I would be looking at the Ruger P-95. ;)

towboat_er
October 24, 2011, 10:03 PM
Ya should be able to find a SW 5906 or a FEG Hi-power clone around that price. I like my CZ-82s. I buy bulk ammo for em off the internet.

Inebriated
October 24, 2011, 10:07 PM
Hi Point... as low as $80 used, and very reliable. Just ugly and heavy.

Bozwell
October 24, 2011, 10:21 PM
The CZ75B is an excellent choice. They're great guns out of the box and there's work you can do to them to turn them into absolutely fantastic guns if you choose to down the road. It'll be hard to find one for right at $300 but it'd worth be worth it IMO to spend a bit more for a quality gun.

I've tried a lot of the guns you can get for $300 and that some others have suggested. My personal opinion, if you can't spend more than $300 right now, wait a few months and get something a bit more expensive. There are tons of good options in the $500-600 range. For $300, your best bet is to find a used CZ or glock and even then $300 is a bit low. Save your money, be patient and get yourself a quality gun. If you're anything like me, you won't be happy with what you can get for $300.

Mr.Blue
October 24, 2011, 10:26 PM
I advocated a CZ above, but after thinking about your price constraints I'm thinking Ruger. Ruger gives you the most for your money. In the $300-$400 range you should be able to find a NIB Ruger 9mm.

kayak-man
October 24, 2011, 10:29 PM
I have a Ruger SR9. Love it.

I've found it to be pretty accurate, and I'm not the greatest shooter out there. the only jams I've had have been from shooting handloads that had no where near enough "pop" to make it work well.

Just make sure you take out the magazine disconnect to extend the life of the firing pin.

Chris "the Kayak-Man" Johnson

mgmorden
October 24, 2011, 10:35 PM
For a $300 budget you'll not find a Glock 17 in respectable condition. A CZ-75 or Beretta 92 might be a bit difficult too.

My recommendation would be one of the ATI Beretta 92 clones. They go for $299 new from CDNN. It's got a nice 5" barrel, and you can pre-cock it on the range so you don't have to worry about the double-action trigger pull.

Ruger P95's aren't bad, but for a range gun I don't like the shorter sight radius (still, if you wanted to go that route it's not that bad a choice).

The CZ-75 isn't bad either if you can find one within your budget.

Wideners also has S&W 5906's (used) for $275, which is one heck of a starter gun for that price:

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=100000277&dir=700|1012|1026

22lr
October 24, 2011, 10:46 PM
You wont find a better gun than a S&W 3rd gen. You might find a different one, but never a better one. They are cheap, amazingly accurate and reliable, and thy will last forever times 2. I cant speak highly of them enough.

TennJed
October 24, 2011, 10:58 PM
You wont find a better gun than a S&W 3rd gen. You might find a different one, but never a better one. They are cheap, amazingly accurate and reliable, and thy will last forever times 2. I cant speak highly

This 22lr is a wise man. He speaks the truth.

I have a s&w 5906 and I think it is the perfect range 9mm. Great balance and shoots like a dream.

I had a ruger p95 and it is a good gun but IMHO not even in the same class as the 5906.....and I am a ruger fanboy

miles1
October 25, 2011, 07:55 AM
With a $300 limit i would go ruger P95 as well.Rugged and reliable.

Thompsoncustom
October 25, 2011, 08:08 AM
hmmm on a $300 dollar budget you can get a used CZ from robertson trading post I want to say they have some older pre-b models you can get for $285 but some of them look pretty rough and I think they would need refinished. I think the best thing to do would be to save you money and by a brand new CZ-75b.

Other option in the EAA witness you can get the witness(CZ clone) in any caliber for under $400 dollars new I believe 9mm is one of the cheaper models. I personal own a CZ 75b and have still been thinking about getting a witness to just because the kadet kit is good prices and you can change your gun to any caliber for $200 bucks.

Dr_2_B
October 25, 2011, 12:31 PM
For $300, I'd look at the Ruger P95

2wheels
October 25, 2011, 01:01 PM
Stoeger/Beretta Cougar. New Stoeger versions go for about $450, so shouldn't be hard to find one used for less. Got mine for $350. Beretta quality for a lot less cash!

wnycollector
October 25, 2011, 02:59 PM
Another vote for the 3rd gen S&W's for an under $300 budget. There are a bunch of S&W model 910 and 915's for sale on gunbroker for less than $250.

Lo8080
October 25, 2011, 03:51 PM
My FIRST post. I bought a KELTEC PLR-22 ($316@buds) and am happy with my purchase. I bought it mainly because of two things...I liked the way it looked, and I like how cheap it was to shoot it. Since I bought it, I've added a forend, rifle scope and a green laser. It is fun to shoot, get one.

tuj
October 25, 2011, 04:21 PM
Save a little more cash and get a used Glock 17.

beatledog7
October 25, 2011, 05:02 PM
The right gun for you was the CZ-52 in 9x19 I handled at a show last weekend. But if you like older CZs then check out Robertson Trading Posts inventory of ex-police CZ75s and 85s. Many right around $300.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/Search.aspx?T=CZ-75%20Robertson

///AMG
October 25, 2011, 07:42 PM
Thank you very much for all the input. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to save up a little more money and get something a little higher end. I have seen a P-95 in person and liked it, but from reading around it seems that the resale value isn't so good. I'm thinking if I spend a little more money now on a used Glock or something similar if I decide to sell it I won't necessarily loose any money. Since this will be the first semi auto I've ever owned I may want to sell it after a year or so and try something else.

I'm thinking I will go to a gun show and look around and hold a few guns that I think I like and see how they feel. If I find something I've read is high quality and feels right for the right amount of money I can pick it up. Does that seem to be a pretty good way to go?

I'm thinking about a CZ 75, Beretta 92, Glock 17, Walther P99, Springfield XD, or a RIA 9mm. These all seem to be nice guns and I can't go wrong with any of them. It'll come down to what feels most comfortable to me.

Would a budget of around 350-400 be enough to get one of the above mentioned guns?

Bozwell
October 25, 2011, 08:10 PM
Perhaps if you look at used models. A new CZ or glock will cost you closer to $500 (still good options).

I think you're definitely on to something when you said you want to see which one is most comfortable to you. I'll expand on that thought a bit and say you want to find out what is the most comfortable for you to shoot, not just hold. A friend was in the market for a new firearm recently and there were quite a few guns he liked the feel of but when we rented them and put some rounds downrange with them, we were less than impressed.

I'm a bit of a CZ fanboy at heart, so I will add - if the one you handle has a heavy and/or gritty trigger, rest assured that they will clean up a lot just from regular use and you can clean them up a LOT with some polishing and a bit of extra work. I don't mean to suggest they aren't great guns out of the box, but if you enjoy tinkering with things, the CZ can be an excellent choice because their triggers clean-up amazingly with just a little bit of elbow grease (and courage when it comes to breaking them down for the first time :) )

wally
October 25, 2011, 09:04 PM
RIA 9mm Tactical or Witness Elite Match 9mm are the best bang/buck choices IMHO, but they are closer to $500 these days.

At $300 I think you are looking used, or maybe a new S&W Sigma, coming from a revolver, the Sigma trigger is not so bad as if coming from a 1911.

In reality its pretty hard to go wrong with a 9mm pistol the competition is so fierce they are all really pretty good.

Byrd666
October 25, 2011, 09:22 PM
Go with a Ruger, first choice, followed closely by a CZ.

STAY AWAY FROM THE STOEGER COUGAR!!!

To those that recommend the Stoeger Cougar and just for your information, I HAD a Cougar, stress the had again. I have never had a bigger piece of (censored) in my hand in all my life. I'm on the north side of 45 too. Bought it brand new and was never able to fire more than three (3) rounds through it total. First clip, first round, fte. Second clip first round, ftf followed by a fte. One more attempt with reloaded clip and quick clean of weapon. First round, perfect. Second round, fte, cleared after a minute or two. Last and final round was the perfect stovepipe after third round went out. Sent back to factory and they replaced the pistol in about three weeks. "Not to bad" I'm thinkin'. Take Brand Newly Replaced pistol to range with WWB 115 grain ball, third round was ANOTHER failure to eject. Sold it as soon as I could find a fool to buy it.

mat250
October 25, 2011, 09:57 PM
I'm going to +1 to the p95. I wouldn't worry about resale because you will never want to get rid of it. It is a great range gun and perfect for a HD gun as well. I have a small lockbox I carry mine around in and take it with me a lot. You really can't beat it for the $.

///AMG
October 25, 2011, 10:10 PM
I will have to go to a range and try rent some pistols. That's a good suggestion. I'll rethink the P95 as well. I also like what I'm reading about the pre B CZ75's. I've been reading around as much as I can and hadn't seen something like that suggested. I'm leaning towards purchasing used so that I can get more gun for less money. I was reading around and it seems as though there are some issues with the 3rd gen G17's. Is that something I should consider and lean towards a 2nd gen? They're a little cheaper and I like that the grips aren't grooved. My cheif concern is the Glock recommended maintenance upgrade I've read about.

mgmorden
October 25, 2011, 10:31 PM
I also like what I'm reading about the pre B CZ75's.

If you've getting a CZ-75 I'd go for a B model. I've already been there, done that on the PreB and didn't enjoy it. You're looking at magazines that are much harder to source (SOME of them will work with Mecgars, but not all), and aftermarket accessories like sights and such are all made for the B model these days.

As to Glocks, I've heard no issues with the 3rd gen guns. There have been some issues with the 4th gen ones though (mainly the recoil spring assembly). Nothing wrong with a Glock at all, but I personally don't see anything special about them. They're just one of many modern, reliable polymer guns. If you can get it cheaper though then by all means I'd look at the 2nd gen ones.

Also, I wouldn't worry much about the resale value. It's not a car. If you get into it I HIGHLY doubt you'll stick to that plan of selling it in a year. Unless its a "problem child", most people always regret selling a particular gun. If you like the P95 then get it. I promise you'll not find anything more reliable (INCLUDING a Glock). As I said earlier my only main complaint with the P95 for target shooting is the short barrel (3.9"). The more I've shot lately, the more I've come to prefer 5"+ for anything that doesn't need to be concealed.

///AMG
October 25, 2011, 11:10 PM
Are there any 5+ pistols you would recommend me to look into? If it weren't for the price the G34 and XD Tactical look like nice guns. I know someone with a P95. I will certainly go out and shoot it and see what I think. If I like it I may just buy one new so that I will get the box etc.

mgmorden
October 25, 2011, 11:34 PM
Are there any 5+ pistols you would recommend me to look into?

The only new 5" barreled 9mm's in this price range that I'm aware of are the Beretta 92 clones by ATI. If you're willing to look used, Walther P1's are right in the ballpark too. Those are fine guns for plinking work, but they are for standard power 9mm loads only (no +P ammo in them).

The CZ-75's though are 4.75" which are not that shabby either. Depending on your preferences though it might not end up being an issue. I started with the P95 myself (it was my first handgun) and it was absolutely fine for my needs for several years. I've only recently started preferring the longer barrels (and not everyone does). That said, I'll never get rid of my P95.

mastiffhound
October 27, 2011, 03:40 PM
Ruger p89, p95 or go .45 acp with a p90 or 97. When they break you send them in and get new ones.

tahunua001
October 27, 2011, 05:04 PM
your options for a 9mm under $300 are a little limited if you want any kind of quality. some people have already mentioned the ruger P95. another company is HI Point, some guys over at thefiringline.com have been raving about their HI Points in 45acp. they are a discount gun that usually run from $150-200 dollars and are considered by many to be un comfortable, blocky, poorly balanced and just overall not high quality. however with that said these guys are getting very respectable groups at 25 yards and beyond and are seeing no reliability problems at all. ergonomics is one of the most subjective arguments in the world. some people love glocks, a lot of people hate them. a lot of guys like 1911s, some people hate them, you need to find gun range that rents them out an make a decision for yourself. the hi point model to look for is the C-9. the only other handgun in your range I can think of is a keltec P11 which is another budget gun but I have never met anyone that's used one nor have I ever seen a range review on one so I cant tell whether it's a good gun or not.

if you save a little longer you could look for a ruger SR9. this is going to be in your entry level service pistol category and is pretty well respected by those that have tried it. it usually runs about $350-425. it's all going to depend on you.

metalart
October 27, 2011, 05:30 PM
Saw a sig sauer sp2022 9mm on sale at academy last week for 365... a bit over your 300 budget, but is a nice gun ;)

dfsixstring
October 27, 2011, 07:25 PM
+1 on the Ruger SR9c. I did not care for the trigger on the LC9. The Sig P250 is also in that range.

exavid
October 27, 2011, 08:26 PM
In your price range you couldn't go too far wrong with a used Ruger P95, or SR9. I wouldn't recommend an SR9c or LC9 for plinking, they are good guns but not as pleasant to shoot a bunch of rounds at a time. As for resale, I wouldn't worry about that too much, buying used pretty well protects against losing much if any money since the main drop in price is that first sale, used guns hold their value pretty well and often outpace inflation.

PO2Hammer
October 27, 2011, 09:39 PM
I just bought a CZ 75b new for $500 and I think it's a great deal. For $300 a used one would be too. I'm just thrilled with mine. It seems to like all the ammo I feed it, including my plated bullet hand loads. Ergonomics are real nice like a Sig. Accuracy is outstanding.
Like the CZ rimfire rifles, I think the CZ 75 is one of the best values in it's class.

Get R Done Guns
October 27, 2011, 09:43 PM
Ruger or RIA would do just fine. Both would be about that price for you! If you like 1911 get the RIA, they are really fun.

lono
October 27, 2011, 09:47 PM
I have a 1911 Springfield loaded in 9mm and it is a great plinker.

chris93555
October 28, 2011, 12:50 AM
Save some more money and get a Ruger SR9, they are a great all around gun. Priced around $400

///AMG
October 28, 2011, 12:53 AM
I think I've narrowed it down to the CZ75B if I decide to go with a steel frame and Glock 17 if I want a polymer. I am also still considering a 1911 9mm. I will take the advice given to me and give what I can a try and see what feels best. Can't thank you guys enough for the advice :) This is a great forum.

Where do you recommend I purchase a used gun? Would forums or a gun show be a reasonable way to go?

PO2Hammer
October 28, 2011, 01:44 AM
I've had good luck with Gunbroker.com. I've bought about 6 used guns there. I see there are some Czech police trade in CZ 75's on there now. They don't have interchangeable front sights or firing pin safeties, so be aware of that.

Here's a read for you;
http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/CZ75.htm

dfsixstring
October 28, 2011, 07:20 AM
I wouldn't recommend an SR9c or LC9 for plinking, they are good guns but not as pleasant to shoot a bunch of rounds at a time.
I have to disagree. With the full-sized magazine (17+1), this pistol is pleasant to shoot. With the smaller magazine (10+1) - and the pinky extension, it fits my hand nicely and is as accurate as any pistol I've shot. Of course, my opinions are "my" opinions. You need to go to a range that will let you rent a variety of guns in your price range and shoot them. That's the only way to know if you're going to be satisfied with what you get.

ku4hx
October 28, 2011, 07:40 AM
If NIB for under $300 is what you want get a Sigma.

If you can hold off a bit then do so and save up for that $600 Glock or whatever.

If you choose to buy used do the research and know how to assess a gun for excessive wear, mistreatment and etc..

The_Armed_Therapist
October 28, 2011, 08:21 AM
Hi-Point
Ruger P-Series
Ruger SR Series (if you really search!)
S&W Sigma Series
S&W SD Series
Sig Sauer SP2022 (I bought one for 299 new)
Older Smiths, too

Pretty much everything else is either more money, too small for plinking, or too unreliable to be fun.

97guns
October 28, 2011, 09:53 AM
or you can get yerself a pocketable single stack 9mm. they will fill 2 rolls, they are easily plinkable and conceal well if you need it.

mgmorden
October 28, 2011, 10:22 AM
or you can get yerself a pocketable single stack 9mm. they will fill 2 rolls, they are easily plinkable and conceal well if you need it.

Meh. Just my IMHO, but there's few things less fun than plinking with a pocket gun. They recoil more due to their small size, they have shorter sight radii making them harder to shoot, the sights themselves are often very small and hard to see to avoid snagging, they have heavier triggers for safety, they're harder to grip, and they usually only hold a few rounds (I like to get in a good number of shots plinking before I reload).

Overall I liken it to drag racing with an ambulance. Sure, it's got a steering wheel and a gas pedal, and you CAN do the physical act, but it's just not going to be fun.

97guns
October 28, 2011, 10:45 AM
to each his own but i thoroughly enjoyed wringing 450 rounds out of my lc9 the other day.

2wheels
October 28, 2011, 03:08 PM
Go with a Ruger, first choice, followed closely by a CZ.

STAY AWAY FROM THE STOEGER COUGAR!!!

To those that recommend the Stoeger Cougar and just for your information, I HAD a Cougar, stress the had again. I have never had a bigger piece of (censored) in my hand in all my life. I'm on the north side of 45 too. Bought it brand new and was never able to fire more than three (3) rounds through it total. First clip, first round, fte. Second clip first round, ftf followed by a fte. One more attempt with reloaded clip and quick clean of weapon. First round, perfect. Second round, fte, cleared after a minute or two. Last and final round was the perfect stovepipe after third round went out. Sent back to factory and they replaced the pistol in about three weeks. "Not to bad" I'm thinkin'. Take Brand Newly Replaced pistol to range with WWB 115 grain ball, third round was ANOTHER failure to eject. Sold it as soon as I could find a fool to buy it.
Sorry you had a bad experience. My Cougar is one of the most reliable handguns I've ever shot, 2500 rounds without one failure. The vast majority of Beretta/Stoeger Cougar owners I've talked to are very happy with their guns, and for the price and quality they're hard to beat.

Sonic82
October 28, 2011, 03:49 PM
Brand new Ruger SR9c Model 3313. Two pistols in one, full size and compact...can't go wrong. $398.00 online from a reputable dealer.

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking For A Good Plinker 9mm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!