Help with 30 carb dies

PDA

dnmccoy
October 24, 2011, 10:24 PM
Ok...still fairly new to reloading and I got a deal in some pacific 30 carb dies, they did not not come with instructions. My lee dies have all had instructions and I've had no problems. Are there any generic directions that will work?

If you enjoyed reading about "Help with 30 carb dies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rondog
October 24, 2011, 11:09 PM
Should be pretty much the same, if you think about what the dies actually do. All makes do pretty much the same tasks.

Set the sizing die so it just touches the shellholder. Don't make it cram forcefully against the shellholder, should be perfect. .30 carbine are tapered cases, so clean and lube them! They WILL sieze up in the die, ask me how I know this.....

No idea what the 2nd die's like, but it should flare the case mouth slightly and have some means for powder-charging? Can't be hard to figure out. Flare the case mouth so the bullet will just start, and put the powder in.

Bullet seater/roll crimper, set it so the crimping shoulder just removes the mouth flaring and the bullet is seated to correct OAL, adjust as needed from there.

Should be a piece o' cake.

dnmccoy
October 25, 2011, 01:03 PM
I looked for instructions but couldnt find any. Its a set of the Pacific Durachrome. Its does not a powder through expander so Im just going to pickup the generic rifle charger from lee for my turret. Any help is greatly appreciated as far getting them dialed in for the expanding and seating portion, Ive got the sizing down

rondog
October 25, 2011, 01:36 PM
So, die #2 is an expander die of some sort, yes? Just don't overbell the case mouths and you should be fine. Bell them just a few thousandths, just enough so the bullet will sit there and start easily. Reloading requires a certain amount of care and attention, yes, but it's not ultra-precise rocket science. Pay attention, think things over, use common sense, you'll be fine. Just be sure to lube the .30 carbine cases before sizing, and measure the case lengths after resizing to make sure they're not too long. Trim the long ones to spec, load the right powder to the right specs, watch the overall length, and crimp the case mouths enough to remove the belling and give the bullet a little grip, they'll be fine.

USSR
October 25, 2011, 03:24 PM
Just be sure to lube the .30 carbine cases before sizing, and measure the case lengths after resizing to make sure they're not too long.

Truer words have never been spoken. Even though I have a carbide sizing die, I still lube my brass (only good use I have found for One Shot;)). After resizing, plan on trimming - it's the nature of the beast with the .30 Carbine.

Don

leman
October 25, 2011, 07:31 PM
If you're using carbide dies you don't need to lube every case. If I'm loading 50 I put all the cases in the loading block, the pull out an entire row of 10 and lube them as well as a handful randomly pulled out. In my experience this is plenty of lube, I haven't gotten a case stuck in the die yet.

USSR
October 25, 2011, 08:07 PM
If you're using carbide dies you don't need to lube every case.

Yes, but I apply One Shot by placing all the brass in a 1 gallon zip lock bag and spraying them while shaking them around.

Don

leman
October 25, 2011, 08:13 PM
I guess how I can see how it is just as easy to lube them all, as it is to just lube some if you're using spray lube.

I'm still using a lube pad, so just lubing part of them is easier for me.

greyling22
October 25, 2011, 08:16 PM
are these the directions you need? http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/manuals-discontinued/metalic-reloading/tools/Pacific-Deluxe-Reloading-Dies.pdf

I only resize the case halfway down. They still chamber in both my guns no problem, the brass lasts longer, it doesn't grow as much, and I don't need any lube at all. When I was resizing the whole length, I was using one shot. Works a lot better on 30 carb and 9mm than it does on 223.....

medalguy
October 26, 2011, 12:03 AM
Taper crimp but don't overdo it. The case headspaces on the case mouth so if you put a heavy crimp on the ammo it will drop too far into the chamber. And watch case length, because if they're too long they won't fully enter the chamber and bad things happen then.

16in50calNavalRifle
October 26, 2011, 01:48 AM
greyling, I've been thinking about what you mention - resizing the 30 carbine only half-way down - for the benefits you mention, brass life and less need for trimming.

Do you just literally stop the press stroke halfway, sort of eyeball it? Or do you back out the sizing die from its normal depth (and would that complicate decapping?)

As for trimming, I've only reloaded about 300 rounds so far, from my own once-fired brass, but a lot of caliper work showed the case lengths and eventual COLs were fine without trimming (and they function fine in both of my M1s). I've read differing views on this issue - some claim to almost never need to trim the cases.

What is your experience with the need to trim?

USSR
October 26, 2011, 08:57 AM
Do you just literally stop the press stroke halfway, sort of eyeball it? Or do you back out the sizing die from its normal depth (and would that complicate decapping?)

You would back the sizing die off from the shell holder. You would need to lower your decapping pin in the die to enable you to deprime the cases, or do the depriming as a separate step with a Universal Decapping die.

Don

greyling22
October 26, 2011, 10:00 AM
don's right. I've got my decapping pin lowered ALL the way down. I trim when needed. Usually it's every 3rd time or so.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help with 30 carb dies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!