12 gauge to 20 gauge & .410 bore adapters

PDA

Armchair Bronco
October 25, 2011, 11:04 AM
I just spotted an auction for some 12ga to .410 adapters. These things are cheap (like $12.95) and they look like hollow Snap Caps.

The company that makes these also sells 12ga to 20ga adapters for the same price.

http://www.americanspecialtyammo.com/Shotgun_Adapters.html

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/256726000/256726502/pix960117660.jpg

I'm intrigued, but also skeptical. What do you guys think?

I already have a Winchester 101 trap gun that I really like; I just DON'T like the mule kick I get when I shoot 12 gauge loads. I figure for $12.95 for one of the .410 inserts, I can't go wrong.

If you enjoyed reading about "12 gauge to 20 gauge & .410 bore adapters" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Armchair Bronco
October 25, 2011, 11:22 AM
Here's another company that offers something similar.

I'm curious how well these things would pattern. I'd want to use them for shooting trap.

http://www.gunadapters.com/products/12-gauge-to-410-Shotgun-adapter-.html

drsfmd
October 25, 2011, 11:29 AM
Conventional wisdom is that you can drop one gauge and still be ok. Dropping from 12 to 410 will result in bad patterns and light sounding loads due to insufficient powder burn.

If you are planning to shoot trap, you better have several of these on hand-- the guys on the line are not going to be sympathetic to how long long it takes you to knock out the empty hull and reload-- you will certainly be slowing the game down.

NCsmitty
October 25, 2011, 11:57 AM
They are more of a gimmick, and something to mess around with, but are not condusive to good patterns. Your total ballistics are dependent on the adapter, and the wads can punch holes in the shot column in the 12ga barrel.
The old discontinued Savage four-Tenner adapters which included a 410 barrel insert for the larger gauge barrels actually worked fairly well.

The 410 adapters like you mention can be a fun item and allows a lower recoil for women and children without spending a lot of money on another shotgun. You'll need the money to buy 410 shells because they cost twice as much as 12ga shells.
Those of us who shoot a lot of 410, usually reload for them.

NCSmitty

desidog
October 25, 2011, 12:03 PM
Can't be good for the barrel - the shot will come out of the 1"-2" of barrel in that adapter and pinball all the way down yours- over time i wouldn't be surprised to see pitting - and when the shot does clear the barrel your pattern won't be tight or consistent. Years ago there was a product from Browning called Super-Barrels, IIRC (which i probably don't!). Those adapters were longer, like 20", with their own chokes, which would work far better.

Have you ever shot trap with a 410? It's quite a handicap compared to 12ga. Try it with a properly suited 410 first; and then you can further hinder yourself with a converter, if you haven't lost interest.

MtnCreek
October 25, 2011, 12:13 PM
Extraction would be a problem.

reckless carolinian
October 25, 2011, 01:33 PM
What about down-loaded shells, like a 7/8 oz? Reduced recoil due to light loads in a heavy gun. Ask oneounceload, the SME on such things around this board.

oneounceload
October 25, 2011, 01:55 PM
Bought them to try for dropping 12 to 28 and 20 to 28. Shot them a few times and then placed them away - MUCH more trouble than they are worth beyond a once or twice activity

I can, and have, downloaded my 12 gauge to 20 and 28 gauge levels with far greater ease of use - my 3/4 oz 12 gauge loads still smacked skeet and trap targets with authority by me just choking up a little more in each barrel

NoAlibi
October 25, 2011, 03:17 PM
oneounceload: "I can, and have, downloaded my 12 gauge to 20 and 28 gauge levels with far greater ease of use - my 3/4 oz 12 gauge loads still smacked skeet and trap targets with authority by me just choking up a little more in each barrel"

I am in the process of loading 3/4 oz. in 20 gauge for a small-framed shooter who is slightly recoil shy. I didn't give any thought to using anything other than a IC or Skeet choke until you mentioned your own choke choice with the 3/4 oz. load in 12 gauge. Do you think that I may have to do the same thing with the 20 gauge gun?

I intend to pattern the load, but I wanted a heads-up before I did. Thanks.....Doc

oneounceload
October 25, 2011, 04:14 PM
You might - depends on how it patterns

Example - if a 1oz load works with an IC, then the 7/8 might work or need a LM, while the 3/4 might need the LM or M to keep the core density the same

But, if you're on the bird, you're on the bird

BlownAway
October 25, 2011, 10:48 PM
I recently purchased a 12 gauge to 9mm Shotgun adapter from www.gunadapters.com. I love it! Let's me shoot my 12 gauge coach gun at our indoor range and is dead on @ 20 to 25 yards. My next purchase is their 410 to 22 LR that I want to try in my Judge. Below is a link.

http://www.gunadapters.com/products/12-gauge-to-9mm-Luger-shotgun-adapter.html

Armchair Bronco
October 25, 2011, 11:04 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like these inserts are something to mess around with if you're plinking beer cans but they they really don't have a place on the trap line.

I regularly use lighter trap loads with my 12 and 20 gauge guns and this helps with recoil, but as they say: "Nothing kicks like a .410 shotgun."

The .410 has always been my favorite shotgun, and I'd love to get good with it at the 16-yard line. I know that this will be a long-term challenge. But it probably makes more sense to get a dedicated .410 (like a Browning BPS Hunter in .410) than to try to retrofit a dedicated 12 guage trap gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "12 gauge to 20 gauge & .410 bore adapters" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!