Brand New 1911 horror story!!!

PDA

ET
October 25, 2011, 11:57 AM
Well, I went out this week and spent $800 (with tax) on a new Springfield Range Officer. I took it to the range for the first time to shoot. My wife came along to shoot her Buckmark as well. I loaded up the 2 mags and walked up to the line to shoot. Before I began I asked my wife if she wanted to shoot it first, being the great guy I am. (I didn't really expect her to say yes, since she doesn't like guns that kick) She said "sure I'll shoot it a few times!". Well, after she finished shooting the 2 mags she put down the Springer and said that shooting that gun made her finger hurt. She held up her hand and to my utter shock I saw her ring still on her finger.:what: I immediately grabbed the gun and saw where her ring boogered up the parkerizing on the front strap. The sight of the bare metal shining up at me was as bad as any horror movie I've ever seen. :eek: None of my guns, including my carry gun of the last 4 years, have this kind of damage to the finish. My first ever 1911 has been boogerized where it had been parkerized. AND it happened before I had the chance to even shoot it first.

[redacted off topic content]

Any other horror stories out there since it's about to be Holloween? I know that I'm not the only one to have his new gun (or anything else for that matter) screwed up like this.

If you enjoyed reading about "Brand New 1911 horror story!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NOLAEMT
October 25, 2011, 12:12 PM
its a sign of character. Don't let it bother you.

Psa1m144
October 25, 2011, 12:14 PM
its a sign of character. Don't let it bother you.
Agreed.

Owen Sparks
October 25, 2011, 12:17 PM
Guns are tools. Tools get scratched when used.

Armed 24/7
October 25, 2011, 12:20 PM
Everytime you see those marks on the finish, Smile and remember the funny story

sansone
October 25, 2011, 12:20 PM
being a new gun it would bother me too, I just hope you didn't torture yourself and her over it

Sam1911
October 25, 2011, 12:22 PM
Gold is very soft. I seriously doubt it dug into the parkerizing. More than likey it rubbed off a bit into the rough, porous surface of the phosphate treatment. Try a little solvent or oil and a bronze brush -- you can probably scrub most of the mark off.

Heck, any place your cartridge brass smacks the ejection port is going to do the same thing, the same way. Just wipe/scrub it off.

If gold actually did scratch your steel gun ... well, it didn't, but if it did, I'd send it back, 'cause you've got a BIG problem! ;)

Now, to the second comment...yeah, it's a gun (not a Fabergé egg), and a gun in a finish designed for utilitarian ruggedness and simplicity. (A serious hard-use military finish.) It's designed to handle a lot rougher treatment than being rubbed with gold!

How you've got a carry gun that has seen anything like frequent use for more than a few months without showing dings and at least holster wear is completely beyond me.

(And I have to ask -- did you actually ask her, or expect her, to remove her jewelry before shooting your gun? Who would bother to do that?)

Charger442
October 25, 2011, 12:22 PM
let go man, it has no collector value and therefore its not a big deal.

rcmodel
October 25, 2011, 12:23 PM
I had a similar experience with a brand new Winchester 101 over & under I bought with the rent money in 1970.

I took the new shotgun, a case of blue-rock, and my wife out to shoot it the first time.

I showed here how to use the hand thrower, and let her take a few practice throws to get the hang of it.
All fine and dandy, so I loaded up the first two shells and called "pull".

A loud & startling WHACK and stinging clay target shrapnel in the face was the result.

The first one she threw hung a hard left out of the thrower, and hit the 101's stock right behind the grip where my hand was.

It put a very deep dent & some nasty looking scratches right in the side of the stock before I got to fire the first shot out of it!!

PS: I agree with the others in that I bet the gold will scrub off with some nitro-solvent.

rc

Corey
October 25, 2011, 12:24 PM
My Colt Commander has been re-parkerized 4 or 5 times in the last 15 years and currently would rate at about 75% finish. No rust, just very shiney from hard use. I say it builds character.

98C5
October 25, 2011, 12:26 PM
:scrutiny:

Bubbles
October 25, 2011, 12:36 PM
Sure that ring is gold? ;)

1911fan
October 25, 2011, 12:37 PM
What Sam1911 said. It's not like it's a new car--which is also gonna get scratched, dented :eek: and maybe even (hopefully not) wrecked and totaled.:what: The price you pay for having toys is living with the effects of their use and abuse.:cool:

C'est la vie...:D

ed

TexasRifleman
October 25, 2011, 12:43 PM
I went to Gunsite a few weeks ago, took a brand new Ed Brown 1911. I was so proud of it all new and pretty. On the second day they work on clearing malfunctions.

So, standing out on the gravel firing line the range master calls "Put your guns on the ground and let the guy behind you set up a malfunction for you to clear". An hour later.....

OK, new is worn off, it's a tool now.

Sky
October 25, 2011, 12:44 PM
Bob and I were doing our normal summer snake eradication on Bear Creek and had decided we would climb into a tree where we could observe the snakes floating down the river and dry our clothes. He had gone first and as I was climbing behind him I heard a furious scraping sound and two splashes in the river. He had slipped with his wet boots on the limb and both he and his newly acquired .22 semi-auto rifle ended up in the river!

We spent the next hour feeling for the rifle with our feet in deep water. Finally he pulled his boots off and felt around with his bare feet. The rifle was found almost 15 yards down stream from where he went in. Luckily the river was not flowing any stronger or we would have never found it; a cease fire and no bite agreement held during the search and after assuring the bore was unobstructed Bob continued to shot the .22 for the rest of the day..The look on his face when the rifle was not immediately found was priceless!

Dr.Rob
October 25, 2011, 12:47 PM
I leave my rings on when shooting, have had to wipe a 'silver streak' off them now and again.

I went to Gunsite a few weeks ago, took a brand new Ed Brown 1911. I was so proud of it all new and pretty. On the second day they work on clearing malfunctions.

So, standing out on the gravel firing line the range master calls "Put your guns on the ground and let the guy behind you set up a malfunction for you to clear".

OK, That made me cringe. Thats probably why I think of a 'perfect carry gun' as a parkerized plain jane rather than a royal blue bbq gun.

trapper1
October 25, 2011, 01:00 PM
If it will make you feel any better, let me share my horror story. Some years ago, I bought a brand new 1187 shotgun. My first shot thru this gun was going to be at waterfowl, on a layout boat off the shores of Lake Erie. While the runner boat was towing me out some 100 yards to where the decoy spread was, the gun was inadvertanly knocked over the side. It was 5am, pitch black, and the water hovered just north of freezing. I can tell you this, I would have loved more than anything to have just "scratched" the gun that morning.

sugarmaker
October 25, 2011, 01:00 PM
Maybe you should buy used guns. Did you buy it to look at or to shoot? It's going to wear out if you shoot it enough, much better than having a safe queen IMO. I LOVE wearing my guns out, as it gives me an excuse to upgrade and buy new stuff.

TexasRifleman
October 25, 2011, 01:01 PM
OK, That made me cringe.

It's funny. The gun has 3000+ rounds through it now, hundreds of trips in and out of a holster, and plenty of wear marks.

I actually think it looks better now than when it was new :)

357 Terms
October 25, 2011, 02:16 PM
Have her put rings on all her fingers and then shoot a couple hundred rounds-

cheap checkering! :)

gunsablazin
October 25, 2011, 02:22 PM
All my range/carry/competition guns have some wear on them. How can anyone carry a gun for years and not ding it up some. I wouldn't be too upset with the wife, at least she goes to the range with you.

JohnM
October 25, 2011, 02:24 PM
We all have the same kind of story.
In 66, freshly out of the Army I bought a new Browning Auto 5.
Pretty spendy shotgun at the time compared to some and a lot for me.
A few days later me and a buddy were loading my boat up in the dark of a morning and somehow my brand new shotgun took a header into the boat and got a huge gouge in the stock from a sharp corner of aluminum.
Kinda ruined my day.

Dr.Rob
October 25, 2011, 02:27 PM
I 'get it' Texas, but the idea of laying a royal blue Colt in gravel... gah!

One of these days I need to re-build my Viking/Colt/Seecamp into a 1991A1 stock gun. Way back when I bought a complete parked 1991A1 Upper for $200. Can you imagine?

Shooting tactical rifle matches have made me 'less scratch sensitive' but I still have those moments with my pretty guns.

lobo9er
October 25, 2011, 02:32 PM
i'm hoping this is a little tongue in cheek?

jsnake
October 25, 2011, 02:38 PM
I put an idiot scratch on my new springfield loaded within an hour of filling out the forms and paying for it. I guess its called an idiot scratch for a reason. And "yes" I love telling people about me being an idiot.

Mike1234567
October 25, 2011, 02:41 PM
Get used to it. Your wife will be far harder on your pistol than you'll ever be.

ForumSurfer
October 25, 2011, 02:53 PM
The op never said it was gold. :)

Some of the newer "cool" rings made out of titanium or tungsten are really hard. They will damage a finish pretty easily.

As others have said though, it adds character. Just run with it. :) They always feel like they are officially "mine" after some wear marks from the holsters or whatever.

claiborne
October 25, 2011, 03:01 PM
I wish my wife would go to the range with me.

MEHavey
October 25, 2011, 03:07 PM
She held up her hand and to my utter shock I saw her ring still on her finger. I immediately grabbed
the gun and saw where her ring boogered up the parkerizing on the front strap.
Don't undervalue this a priceless cocktail party conversation opportunity. When the subject of guns come up
(as it always does at uber liberal parties) just point across the room to your wife and announce,

....... "...she's already worn a shooting groove into the trigger guard of her 45 automatic...."

That oughta cause a hub-bub halt. :D :D

TenMillimaster
October 25, 2011, 03:28 PM
If I were married and had a 1911, I would be PROUD to have my wife's ring mark forever on MY 1911. Then you can think fondly of TWO things while shooting.

Quoheleth
October 25, 2011, 03:35 PM
+1 to Sam1911's comment.

Double-check...chances are the finish is harder than your wife's ring (unless it's titanium). What you are seeing might be the gold or silver that has rubbed off her ring and onto the gun.

Q

JoeShmoe
October 25, 2011, 03:35 PM
Well, I went out this week and spent $800 (with tax) on a new Springfield Range Officer. I took it to the range for the first time to shoot. My wife came along to shoot her Buckmark as well. I loaded up the 2 mags and walked up to the line to shoot. Before I began I asked my wife if she wanted to shoot it first, being the great guy I am. (I didn't really expect her to say yes, since she doesn't like guns that kick) She said "sure I'll shoot it a few times!". Well, after she finished shooting the 2 mags she put down the Springer and said that shooting that gun made her finger hurt. She held up her hand and to my utter shock I saw her ring still on her finger.:what: I immediately grabbed the gun and saw where her ring boogered up the parkerizing on the front strap. The sight of the bare metal shining up at me was as bad as any horror movie I've ever seen. :eek: None of my guns, including my carry gun of the last 4 years, have this kind of damage to the finish. My first ever 1911 has been boogerized where it had been parkerized. AND it happened before I had the chance to even shoot it first.

[redacted off topic content]

Any other horror stories out there since it's about to be Holloween? I know that I'm not the only one to have his new gun (or anything else for that matter) screwed up like this.
You neglected to mention that the very first thing you said was, "honey are you ok". You did say that, BEFORE you immediately grabbed the gun, right? ;)

BullfrogKen
October 25, 2011, 03:46 PM
I'm with Sam. Doubt gold or silver is going to make a permanent mark on parkerized steel.

As has been said already, it's a tool. Use it like one, and get over the marks.

I've got hand-made 1911's that cost over three times what you paid for yours. They've got dings and scratches from speed reloads and malfunction drills. And a pretty healthy amount of holster wear.

It looks better now. It's visible evidence that I actually use it, suggests I might actually have some proficiency with it.

NavyLCDR
October 25, 2011, 03:52 PM
I think you should consider yourself lucky that your wife isn't pissed at you for your gun scratching her ring.....

Dan Bear
October 25, 2011, 03:56 PM
I once was wearning a pancake holster holding my parkerized 1911 during some range shooting. The gun was drawn and holstered several times before I noticed that I had my folding knife clipped to my right pants pocket. I heard a metal on metal sound and realized what I had been doing. The left side of the slide was all scratched up from the metal clip. I was irratated for an hour or so but haven't thought much of it since. The feeling will fade.

bikerdoc
October 25, 2011, 03:59 PM
Scars, tattoos and marks on guns all have some story attached.

Justin
October 25, 2011, 04:07 PM
She held up her hand and to my utter shock I saw her ring still on her finger. I immediately grabbed the gun and saw where her ring boogered up the parkerizing on the front strap. The sight of the bare metal shining up at me was as bad as any horror movie I've ever seen. None of my guns, including my carry gun of the last 4 years, have this kind of damage to the finish.

Oh Lawdy no! Not a scratch on the finish! http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=29698&d=1128794076

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-FL3B6mw8x1I/SyHJbgvYuyI/AAAAAAAAA-w/lz-ctRc9QWs/s800/_IMG_4993%252520copy.jpg

It's a gun, not a Fabergé egg. Go run it for a season at some IDPA or IPSC matches and realize that the scratches, scuffs, and dings that show up on the weapon are marks that show you've actually learned how to shoot. I have yet to meet a Master or Grand Master level shooter who's gun didn't look like it had been skipped across a parking lot.

tuj
October 25, 2011, 04:19 PM
It's a gun, not a Fabergé egg

+1!!!

Andrew Wyatt
October 25, 2011, 04:21 PM
If you care how your gun looks, your priorities are out of order.

Robert101
October 25, 2011, 04:23 PM
I think it's time to get a new wife. Can't have her scratching the weapons like that. I'll bet it was intentional. Be careful of the food she makes for you brother.

BullfrogKen
October 25, 2011, 04:23 PM
who's gun didn't look like it had been skipped across a parking lot

. . . and then put back together with skate board tape.

jogar80
October 25, 2011, 04:25 PM
It's funny. The gun has 3000+ rounds through it now, hundreds of trips in and out of a holster, and plenty of wear marks.

I actually think it looks better now than when it was new :)
How about a pic of that gun as it is now? Just curious how that kinda wear looks

Justin
October 25, 2011, 04:31 PM
I'm not Texas Rifleman, but the picture I posted above should be a pretty good approximation. Every piece of brass (and more!) in that photo was ejected out of that gun.

jogar80
October 25, 2011, 05:47 PM
I'm not Texas Rifleman, but the picture I posted above should be a pretty good approximation. Every piece of brass (and more!) in that photo was ejected out of that gun.
Yea I liked that pic too. All that wear has its own charm... looks cool! My carry 1911 has knicks and dings all over, but nothing like that. Gues i'm not as hardcore as I thought, lol.

Justin
October 25, 2011, 06:21 PM
Don't worry, that was about five years worth of accumulated draws, shooting, and dry-fire practice, and probably 3-5K rounds through the gun per year.

D-Day
October 26, 2011, 02:28 AM
These things come with finishes? Where'd mine go?

lobo9er
October 26, 2011, 07:55 AM
JUSTIN what type of gun is that in the picture?

JFtheGR8
October 26, 2011, 11:40 AM
That just made it yours with character added. I would consider something like that normal wear. I hope you didn't flip out over it in front of your wife. We'd have to pull your man card if you did.

HisSoldier
October 26, 2011, 02:32 PM
The OP didn't say it was a carry gun, unless I missed it. I have many guns, but only one carry gun, it's a plastic gun just because I can't stand damaging a fine firearm, plus it's very light. I have no feelings for it.

The balance of my guns are treasures to me, and I would be upset too, scratches and idiot marks don't add character, they say bad things about someone in it's past who didn't know how to handle a gun.

Normal wear and tear are unavoidable, true, but with careful handling that happens very slowly.

LCPor9mm
October 26, 2011, 02:56 PM
When I first shot and cleaned my first (and only) 1911 I got idiot marks on it because I don't read instructions. As far as I can tell it shoots the same.

I have noticed that it has a tendency to shoot high left, which I assume is caused by the light reflecting off the scratches on that side of the gun, in turn heating the air creating a low pressure area that draws the shot toward it. Yeah, that's it!

chrt396
October 26, 2011, 03:34 PM
I would have been heart broken myself. Yeah it's a tool...just a gun...builds character...Whatever! I worked hard to get the money to buy a gun, then it gets scratched up. Now...would I get pissed at my wife? Nope! Like one poster said...she at least went with you to the range! Thats a huge deal! Also..assuming you didn't get cheap when you married her and get a stainless wedding ring..gold should not harm the finish of that gun. Most ladies rings have higher gold content than a mens ring.

With all this said...I would be depressed as well. But..we get over it...eventually! :scrutiny:

BullfrogKen
October 26, 2011, 03:44 PM
Of course, the real question is . . .

Is your wife upset that your new gun dinged up her wedding band?

Justin
October 26, 2011, 05:21 PM
JUSTIN what type of gun is that in the picture?

It's a duotone CZ85 Combat in 9mm. It was my main USPSA Production Division gun until I switched over to the M&P.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

Sheepdog1968
October 26, 2011, 05:29 PM
I put a dent in my wife's car (bumping a cement pillar) when I needed to go back from hospital to home while labor was about to be induced becuase I was nervous. I feel bad but we can laugh about it. So will you.

agent89
October 26, 2011, 08:03 PM
When I read the header for this post I thought it would read "it turned out to be a jam-o-matic"

Just kidding:neener:

splithoof
October 26, 2011, 08:23 PM
Quit your whining Princess. You should be so very happy that your wife will even go to the range with you. I have friends that are given grief over their gun-related hobbies, and their wive's would never even fire a gun.
I am so very fortunate that my better half likes shooting and hunting, and also believes that crates of ammo make great end tables in the living room and stairs up to the hay loft.

HisSoldier
October 26, 2011, 08:39 PM
You should be so very happy that your wife will even go to the range with you.

That sentiment has been mentioned often and that tells us something. My wife lets me buy guns, I feel fortunate, but she knows she will "get" to sell them someday, but she doesn't shoot with me.

Super Sneaky Steve
October 26, 2011, 09:25 PM
Women are nothing but trouble. Get rid of the wife and buy a good loyal dog.

Shipwreck
October 26, 2011, 10:03 PM
Just send it back and get it refinished, and get some work done on it at the same time :)

HOOfan_1
October 26, 2011, 10:08 PM
With all this said...I would be depressed as well. But..we get over it...eventually! :scrutiny:

yeah I don't get it. If some people don't care if their possessions get roughed up, fine...but why do they get so offended that others like to keep theirs in near mint condition :confused:

Derek Zeanah
October 26, 2011, 10:17 PM
So, standing out on the gravel firing line the range master calls "Put your guns on the ground and let the guy behind you set up a malfunction for you to clear".
Come on, now. I was gentle to it...

:D

Old Fuff
October 26, 2011, 10:28 PM
I agree with Sam, in that I have some "pretty guns," but they aren't the ones I usually carry.

Concerning the pistol that's the subject of this thread, if the gold will rub off - save it. The stuff is getting valuable. :eek:

If it won't rub off and it bugs you, detail strip the pistol and send the frame back to Mr. Brown. He can degrease it and the put it in his Parkerizing tank for about 5 minutes, after which there will be no more ugly marks...

Until you make some... :banghead:

On second thought, don't send it back to Ed Brown. I should have said S. A., but I mixed up two different threads. Must be old age is creeping up on me.

FIVETWOSEVEN
October 26, 2011, 10:46 PM
When I read the header for this post I thought it would read "it turned out to be a jam-o-matic"

I was expecting it to start off about how he got this new $1,000 Kimber....

I actually think it looks better now than when it was new

I would love to see a picture of that gun, pretty please? :D

TennJed
October 26, 2011, 11:13 PM
If you care how your gun looks, your priorities are out of order.

Sorry but IMHO you are way off base with this statement. The OP never said that looks were the most important. He has a brand new gun (his first 1911) and it get buggered up first time out. That just plain sucks. Doesn't mean that is the only reason he got the gun.

Lots of people enjoy the way guns look. Do you think someone who puts nice grips on a 1911 or a Colt SA have their priorities out of line? Lots of tools can also have value in the way they look.

Automobiles serve only one true purpose...to move things. I personaly do not care what my truck looks like. I will run them in the ground and never fix a dent in one. My father on the other hand loves classic cars. His idea of a great afternoon is wiping the same spot on an old car over and over again. Both his and mine will go to the legal speed limit on any street in the country. He has never driven anywhere I could not have. Automobiles are not my thing. They are his though and his priorities are just fine.

Home's only provide shelter. Watches only tell time. My wife made me put up a new mail box a few weeks back. Mail could still fit in the old one, but it was pretty rusty...would you consider her priorities out of wack?

Hacker15E
October 27, 2011, 01:14 PM
I don't trust a pickup truck that doesn't have dings and scratches in the bed.

Same for a firearm that is safe-queen pristine!

exavid
October 27, 2011, 10:51 PM
Sheesh... all my firearms were purchased to fire. Lots of times. Some I've carried in the field for the past 50 years, they brought a lot of meat home for me and later for me and my family. None of them look new now but they all function flawlessly. If they didn't they'd be gone. Ditto my handguns, they get used because I can't stay reasonably competent with them unless I keep at it. One or two of them look pretty new because they are but they'll get their scars just like I did. I think of my guns about the same way I think of my expensive torque wrench, I use it. It gets dirty and I clean it. Both the wrench and my guns are tools, none are museum pieces. Never could get into the 'collector' thing.

Lex Luthier
October 28, 2011, 12:02 AM
There are three Kimber 1911s in my safe. The Dessert Warrior is the only one with a finish I take extra care of. The other two, and the others in my arsenal, are for shooting. Drooling over is still acceptable however.

The first scratch I got on my P229 helped me understand the greater reason I endeavor to be a better marksman: form follows function.

spiroxlii
October 28, 2011, 02:12 AM
I forgot to snap the retention strap on my IWB holster once. I went to get out of my car, and I heard a clattering sound. There, on the ground, was my 5-day old S&W 637. I think I caught the grip against the door frame as I stood up. She fell directly on the back of the grip, where the stock grips leave some of the grip frame exposed. The rough concrete of my driveway left some scars on her, but they smoothed out (never disappeared) over time. I hardly notice them now. When I do, I see them as beauty marks.

Nakanokalronin
October 28, 2011, 07:22 AM
It would probably irk me too to have an avoidable mark on a new gun. Guns will eventually have wear marks and what-not but if its a specific mark on a gun then its annoying, like those slide stop idiot marks I've made sure to avoid on every 1911.

I usually make sure I take a picture of a new gun before my first range trip since I know it will never look that new again.

TexasRifleman
October 28, 2011, 11:06 AM
Come on, now. I was gentle to it...

Yes you were, and I appreciate it :) When he said "OK, draw and ground them" though my stomach turned over a little lol.

Stevie-Ray
October 28, 2011, 02:21 PM

I actually think it looks better now than when it was new
:what:Dayum! And it was brand new just a few weeks ago? You're my new hero.;)

Crap I gotta get some shooting done.

Old Fuff
October 28, 2011, 03:55 PM
With only a few exceptions, my carry guns have been purchased on the used market, and the finish "broken in :neener:" by a former owner. Mechanics, bore and chamber(s) are perfect, or soon made that way.

If a gun is often carried and fired it's going to show wear. If it's not from neglect or abuse (which in my case it isn't) I see no objection to adding more to what was... ;)

mljdeckard
October 28, 2011, 04:21 PM
I'm scratching my head to imagine how your carry gun of four years doesn't have a reasonable amount of fair wear and tear. Mine sure does. I buy tools, not showpieces.

Fishslayer
October 31, 2011, 01:40 PM
It would probably irk me too to have an avoidable mark on a new gun. Guns will eventually have wear marks and what-not but if its a specific mark on a gun then its annoying, like those slide stop idiot marks I've made sure to avoid on every 1911.

Exactly. Honest wear is one thing, "Oh no!" scratches & dings are another.
I put a mark on a 1952 vintage M1950 Target while cleaning it. It already had a bit of holster wear & a turn ring but I was pretty furious with myself as it was totally avoidable. I see it now every time I open the cylinder. :(

Just because a gun is in good shape doesn't mean the owner is a rookie or that the gun is a safe queen, not that it's really anybody else's business until they post about it on teh intrawebz. :D

If anybody's ashamed to be seen with that 100% '40s vintage K22 I'll be happy to take it off their hands.

As for the OP, I would see marks like that as "normal wear." Stuff happens. Here's one solution... Pearce grip adapter.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn215/THE_Fishslayer/OSR/100_1237.jpg

Here's another. ;)

http://www.catalogs.com/info/bestof/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/SharpieMarker.jpg

Sam1911
October 31, 2011, 02:05 PM
So, ET, what's the rest of the story? Did the gold mark scrub off?

ET
November 3, 2011, 07:49 AM
So, ET, what's the rest of the story? Did the gold mark scrub off?

Well, the ring that my wife was wearing wasn't gold, it was a sterling silver looking thing with some raised edges that she wears on her right hand. I now call it "the gun finish killer ring". I bought a mat black gun finish touch-up pen to cover up the bare metal. It looks rather good for an amateur job. BUT my wife likes shooting the 1911 so much that she went out and bought a Taurus pt1911 for $490. It wouldn't have been my first choice for the money, but she wanted a gun that she could rack by herself & really liked this 9mm Taurus.

While we were at the LGS buying her new gun, I saw a Glock 20 (:scrutiny:I know, some habits die hard) for $395 that had a Laserlite rear sight on it. I told my wife that the Glock would help me get over the boogered up front strap on my 1911. She surprisingly said OK, so I ended up with a new (slightly used) Glock 20. I've wanted a 10mm for some time now since I don't spend enough on ammo these days. We took both guns out and she put 200 rounds through her pt1911 without an ftf. The Glock had one but I think it was because my wife limp wristed it. All in all a happy ending.

I guess the fact that she is a teacher and 95% of her fellow teachers are card carrying gun hating liberals, makes it easy to get past. I'd rather have a wife who wants to go shoot my new guns than have a wife who wants to sell them while I'm out of town. I know I probably made too much out of the gouges in the parkerizing, but it was before I ever had a chance to shoot my first 1911 & it was a brand new Springfield Range Officer. Hey I'm over it now, well unless I run across another gun that I just have to have.

Ala Dan
November 3, 2011, 04:54 PM
character on a firearm is awesome~!, don't even worry 'bout it~! :uhoh: ;)

robinkevin
November 3, 2011, 05:09 PM
I agree with others in that guns or tools and tools get scratched up. If you want a show gun, buy it and put it up in a case to be viewed only. Its kinda like the guys who drive big four wheel drives that expect their trucks to stay spotless...

Sooner you accept this the easier it will be.

HOOfan_1
November 3, 2011, 09:03 PM
My fairly new CZ 550 fell over against an aluminum step ladder. Put a huge silver mark on it, I thought for sure it scratched the finish. I rubbed and rubbed on it with my shirt and it started to fade, coated it in CLP and gently rubbed it with steel wool and the mark came off.

laramiec
November 3, 2011, 09:12 PM
Get over it, its just a piece of metal, no feelings, no desire and does not return love.

tx_pistolero
November 3, 2011, 09:54 PM
I do sort of feel where you are coming from. I have a Marlin .357 lever gun made in 1981 that was pristine when I got it 5 years ago. I still kind of baby it. Every other gun I have is brush burned and road worn.

chrt396
November 7, 2011, 02:14 PM
The OP didn't say it was a carry gun, unless I missed it. I have many guns, but only one carry gun, it's a plastic gun just because I can't stand damaging a fine firearm, plus it's very light. I have no feelings for it.

The balance of my guns are treasures to me, and I would be upset too, scratches and idiot marks don't add character, they say bad things about someone in it's past who didn't know how to handle a gun.

Normal wear and tear are unavoidable, true, but with careful handling that happens very slowly.
Can I get an AMEN!!!!

exavid
November 7, 2011, 04:36 PM
As I mentioned before, to me guns are tools. If I had a tool I didn't use I'd get rid of it. I know there are many who collect things, salt shakers, stamps, celebrity pictures, stuffed animals, etc. but I'm not one who wants to burden my life with a pile of 'stuff' I don't use. If I get the urge to look at old guns I go to a museum.

If you enjoyed reading about "Brand New 1911 horror story!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!