357 max. need load data please

PDA

Steelworker
October 25, 2011, 02:59 PM
A friend of mine just gave me a quantity of 190gr. flat point lead bullets (hunter specialties brand). I haven't found any loading data for these in any of my reloading manuals. Does anyone have any experience with these? I'm going to be shooting them out of a Handi rifle.

If you enjoyed reading about "357 max. need load data please" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Cosmoline
October 25, 2011, 03:42 PM
I'm wondering the same thing. I have some of the single shot pistol bullets from Hornady. I'm getting a barrel from these folks, who have posted a bunch of load data as well:

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=121

It's TC Encore but should apply to Handy rifles too.

rcmodel
October 25, 2011, 03:42 PM
Lead bullet data for a .357 Maximum is gonna be hard to find anymore.

I might look at .357 Magnum lead data with 2400 or Unique and work from there.
Anything you find should be safe in the larger capacity .357 Max case.

I'd stay away from ball powder like W296/H110 as you are playing with unknown pressure, and they don't like reduced loads.

rc

NCsmitty
October 25, 2011, 06:03 PM
Here's a site with some data for the maximum. I would keep the velocity down a bit with the lead bullet to start, unless you know that they will take it. I'm not familiar with that bullet myself.

http://www.reloadammo.com/357max.htm

NCsmitty

Kernel
October 25, 2011, 07:44 PM
With 190 grain bullets powders in the speed range of Lil'Gun and Vihtavuori's excellent N110 are ideal. I wouldn't bother trying anything slower than 4227.

Steelworker
October 26, 2011, 08:44 AM
Thank you. I will start with some lil gun and see what happens. These bullets are not gas checked, but seem pretty hard.

If you enjoyed reading about "357 max. need load data please" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!