Springfield XD 45

PDA

cwduke08
October 25, 2011, 03:11 PM
Hey guys, new member, 1st post so here it goes!

Im looking at getting a SA xd45, because I shot my buddies SAXDsc9 and I loved it. So i figured i'd invest in a brand and a caliber I dont own. I also get a first responder discount, Plus if you buy and xd before 11/30 you get 3 more mags and the holder. Heres what I would like to find out.
Full Size? Sub Compact? 4 or 5in barrel?
Pros/Cons
Problems?
Accuracy?

any advice is much appreciated!

If you enjoyed reading about "Springfield XD 45" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dnaltrop
October 25, 2011, 03:21 PM
Welcome to THR!

The 3 major polymers, Glock, XD and M&P all will serve you well, if you like the feel of your buddy's gun, no reason not to pick the XD up.

Just do yourself a favor and hit the local gun store, line up several and grope them repeatedly for comfort.

Do you need it for active patrol? Concealed carry/Backup? a few more details would help folks point you a bit more accurately than "*GRUNT* GUNS GOOD, BUY NOW!!! MORE!!" :D

ATAShooter
October 25, 2011, 03:39 PM
I have the 4" Service model XD45acp.... 8500 rounds thru it without ANY failures. Only have cleaned it twice in 3 years. I treat this weapon like crap to be honest. It gets slid around the truck floorboard, rained on, muddy, full of **** that would make a billy goat puke and it keeps eating whatever ammo I put thru it. I would carry it into battle, anytime, anywhere. This is a purchase you will not regret.

Mudinyeri
October 25, 2011, 03:56 PM
I have a 5" Tactical version and have had a few problems with certain rounds - typically those with a longer OAL or a semi-wadcutter design - failing to go into battery. I've read of several others who've run into the same thing. As a service pistol, I believe the chamber is designed for round-nosed or hollow-point bullets.

Once I found ammo that would chamber reliably, mine has been flawless.

cwduke08
October 25, 2011, 04:13 PM
Dnaltrop- Sorry for the lack of info, im buying to buy, probably take to the deer lease, mildly abuse, but if its the closest piece of hardware I would like to be able to rely on it and defend myself @ home, or wherever I may take it.

Valkman
October 25, 2011, 04:55 PM
I have 2 4" XD45's, one a compact. They are both utterly reliable and accurate.

http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/oo80/DLKnives/XD45/BothXD2.jpg

Skribs
October 25, 2011, 05:04 PM
I'd go for the XDM, personally. Don't have to pull the trigger to get the slide off, among other things.

TYFOOON
October 25, 2011, 05:07 PM
I have a OD green XD45 4". Lovingly dressed with a custom trigger from Springerprecision.com It is my most favored gun I own but I shoot it less than I would prefer due to ammo prices. I shoot my FNP9 much much more. You may want to give that gun a look also.

I love the breakdown, I love that I can easily tell if it's loaded and cocked by feel, and I like the additional safety features.

You'll never go wrong with the XD....or the M&P, or Glock either:)

Mr.Blue
October 25, 2011, 05:35 PM
Check out this recent post comparing the XD45 and the FNP45.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=483509

cwduke08
October 25, 2011, 06:23 PM
Hey, what exactly is a SWC? It's a type of round im reading some guns dont like, is it a brand? Is it marked on the box?

Mr.Blue
October 25, 2011, 06:32 PM
Semi-Wadcutters. It's a type of bullet used for paper target shooting.

CZ57
October 25, 2011, 06:52 PM
The XDm is designed to shoot SWCs whereas the XD is not. You can get a really good trigger by installing a PRP trigger kit, same as the XD. Many believe that the match grade barrel of the XDm is a marketing ploy. With a match grade trigger kit installed you'll find that the match grade barrel is capable of superb accuracy. Spend a little more and buy the XDm. ;)

TYFOOON
October 25, 2011, 06:58 PM
I've shot the XD and the XDm. I can't tell the difference really. My XD however, with Springer love, has the best trigger you could ever want.

What I can say is that the XDm looks like something Bobafet puked. Aweful. Painfully so. Ugliest gun I've seen in a long long time. marketing ploy i don't know. But send the XD to Scott S. and you'll have anything you may be looking for.

Fooon

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/images/D11/55/55666.jpg

Apocalypse-Now
October 25, 2011, 07:06 PM
Problems?

my xd45 was horrible. sold it. the guy on christiangunowner.com had a similar experience as me with the two he tried.

Japle
October 25, 2011, 07:24 PM
I already had half a dozen .45s when I bought the XD. It's now my favorite.

I installed TFO sights, a PRP trigger kit and a trigger stop. Also just bought 2 mag kits to extend them from 13 to 16 rounds.

Real good pistol. Accurate, reliable, easy to shoot well.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/Japle/Guns/20ydslowfire.jpg

INMY01TA
October 25, 2011, 08:05 PM
XD45 service here. Never had a failure of any kind.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j311/INMY01TA/Guns/XD%2045/100_0259.jpg

LightningMan
October 25, 2011, 08:31 PM
I have an XD45 in a 4" barrel and really like it, as it is my trusted night stand handgun. 13+1 rounds of .45's is comforting to know its there if I need it. My only complant is that my XD won't cycle 185 or 200 grain wadcutters, otherwise it eats anything. BTW I've heard this from other XD owners about using wadcutters, but the XDM's are supposed to be able to handle them, go figure. LM

WRGADog
October 25, 2011, 08:37 PM
My night stand gun. Shoots well, reliable, easy to maintain, and reasonably priced. All in all a great gun. I also have a G30SF, but the XD fits my hand better.

KenW.
October 25, 2011, 09:51 PM
I own an XD45c, a XD9sc, XDm 3.8 40 c and am working on a trade for a XD40sc.

I got the bug...:o

cwduke08
October 25, 2011, 11:43 PM
So are winchester white box or federal purple box (both available at walmart) are those considered wad cutters?

saenzrich
October 26, 2011, 12:21 AM
So are winchester white box or federal purple box (both available at walmart) are those considered wad cutters?

nope.....ball ammo

Dnaltrop
October 26, 2011, 12:26 AM
Wadcutter refers specifically to the shape of a specific family of bullets, generally a medium hard cast lead ball with a sharp edge, and a flat-dinner-plate profile. Designed to take a clean circle out of paper, but properly loaded can make more than ample defensive rounds. Typically they're sold as target low-velocity rounds, Buffalo Bore apparently makes some with real Oomph.

I've only shot SWCs/WC in Revolvers, but each box of ammo at the store will have a designation on the side... HP (hollowpoint, tip cut off and a dish of varying depth by manufacturer cut in, designed to mushroom in a wound and intended to both do the most damage to your target, and lower the chance of shooting someone else through the attacker) FMJ (full metal jacket) LRN (Lead Round Nose, pure lead balls) Designations abound.

In a Semi auto, You'll most likely want to shoot Hollowpoints as your self defense round, and cheap full metal jackets for plinking... though reloading presses and personal tastes can make any suggestions here worthless.

If this will be your first handgun, Good luck. For all the horror stories you read on the net on any gun... It really is a decent time to be getting into modern firearms.

Just save the effort of asking the board later on as far as small or "must have" pistols and pick up a CZ-82 and a Smith and Wesson Model 10 revolver now, or put them on your list. . Search the threads, you'll see the flood of discussion. Might as well get those two out of the way at the outset.

Good luck Neighbor :D

railroader
October 26, 2011, 12:48 AM
http://store.bluestarbrass.com/images/45acp200swc.jpg Here's a pic of 45acp semi wadcutter ammo.

Ledgehammer
October 26, 2011, 01:48 AM
I have no desire or need to shoot wad cutters. I love my xd .45 compact with the 4" barrel. Its accurate and 100% reliable. Fits my Hand like a glove too. I carry pdx-1 jhp's for self defense and practice with regular full metal jacket. Never had a failure.

cwduke08
October 26, 2011, 02:06 AM
Hey guys, thank you all for the info! This seems to be an awesome board to be apart of! Now for the news.... I just bought a xdm 45 4.5, NIB, NBF! I picked it up for what is believed to be a sweet deal ($400). I hate to switch gears on everyone after all the advice, and will probably end up buying an xd as well!

PabloJ
October 26, 2011, 07:40 AM
It's uglier then a Gluck but on the upside because of grip safety if one was to slide one into worn out leather holster there is less chance of getting nasty flash burn and ruining perfectly good pair of pants.

bakerloo
October 26, 2011, 09:02 AM
I have one. It feels great in my hand, shoots exactly where I point it evry time. I love mine.

David E
October 26, 2011, 02:41 PM
I think we can all forgive you for jumping on a new in box XDM for $400!

Mr.Blue
October 26, 2011, 03:47 PM
No reason to feel bad. At that price I would have done the same thing. Other than being uglier than the XD, it promises to do everything as well, or slightly better if you believe the match barrel claim. The only reason many recommended the XD over the XDm was the cost. Unless you could have gotten a NIB XD45 for $250, you did the right thing IMHO.

CZ57
October 27, 2011, 06:29 PM
Outstanding deal. Congrats! Welcome to the XDm .45 ACP club. You'll love it! ;)

harmon rabb
October 28, 2011, 09:20 AM
Full size or compact is your choice, as is the barrel length. You know what your needs are, I don't.

Pros? Dead nuts reliable, easy to break down and clean, actually feels good in the hand and points naturally (unlike a Glock), metal sights that don't break easily (unlike a Glock), 13rd mags, decent enough trigger that's VERY easy to stage for target shooting, grip safety that's convenient for reholstering.

Cons? The XD chokes on wadcutters; the XDm, however, does not. Oh and the XD (and XDm) line is ugly and soulless, it's never gonna pull the heartstrings like a pretty 1911 will. But maybe that's a pro, because you won't care about it getting knocked around and beat up.

All in all, it's an excellent gun. As a personal protection appliance, it's outstanding for the money. I own a lot of guns, but if I had to march off to war, my XD45 would be my sidearm of choice, while my 1911's, Sigs, and FNs sat at home.

Hey guys, new member, 1st post so here it goes!

Im looking at getting a SA xd45, because I shot my buddies SAXDsc9 and I loved it. So i figured i'd invest in a brand and a caliber I dont own. I also get a first responder discount, Plus if you buy and xd before 11/30 you get 3 more mags and the holder. Heres what I would like to find out.
Full Size? Sub Compact? 4 or 5in barrel?
Pros/Cons
Problems?
Accuracy?

any advice is much appreciated!

harmon rabb
October 28, 2011, 09:21 AM
Hey guys, thank you all for the info! This seems to be an awesome board to be apart of! Now for the news.... I just bought a xdm 45 4.5, NIB, NBF! I picked it up for what is believed to be a sweet deal ($400). I hate to switch gears on everyone after all the advice, and will probably end up buying an xd as well!
Jesus christ that's a good deal. Does that store want to sell another for $400? :D

smitty704
October 28, 2011, 09:39 AM
I like the Xdm 3.8 9mm. It looks pretty bad add IMO. I would love to own one one day. I probably will end up getting an XD just because of the price difference, and I don't care about a "perfect" trigger.

Like others have said, if you like the XD, buy it. And from what I hear you won't be disappointed. :)

Ledgehammer
October 28, 2011, 02:25 PM
Jesus christ that's a good deal. Does that store want to sell another for $400?

I was thinking the same thing. You can't get a regular xd for less than $440 around here. Xdm's are running almost $600. I think this had to be used.

Browns Fan
October 28, 2011, 08:54 PM
The gun that feels better in the hand is not always the one that you shoot best. If you have a friend that has the guns you are interested in, borrow his or rent them at a range. While I shoot my xd's pretty good (better ergos), I shoot my glock better (better trigger IMO). Shoot'em before you buy and the results may surprise you!

Kiln
October 29, 2011, 07:42 AM
These guns are great. Got an XDM .40 with 4k rounds through it. 3 jams.

If you like it get one, they're well made, accurate enough, and will shoot more than you'll be able to afford to shoot it.

cwduke08
October 29, 2011, 04:43 PM
Ya it wasn't from a store, individual on GB! Guy said he bought it a few months ago and didn't have time to shoot it, said it needed to go to a better home! It's not a puppy and I hope by better home he knows I'm gonna shoot it!!

Mr.Blue
October 29, 2011, 05:29 PM
It's uglier then a Gluck

Are you serious? I guess looks are subjective, IMHO the Glock is much uglier. I don't find the XD ugly, but the XDm is a little too much. The XD is more Utilitarian than ugly.

msparks
October 29, 2011, 06:25 PM
question is, what do you plan to do with it?

.45 acp is expensive to shoot for plinking.

It's a great choice for all around self defense.

If it were me, I would consider the Compact as an all around good choice. Matter of fact that is what I have done. I have the .45c. Though it's still a pretty heavy gun to tote around everyday. I now have a glock 26 for edc and the SA is carried when I have more clothing on to conceal it.

I didn't know they made a sub-compact. That might also be an interesting choice.

PvtCowboy
October 29, 2011, 07:40 PM
Your buddy with the XD9 sounds like he's got life figured out ;)

cwduke08
November 15, 2011, 09:57 PM
Hey fellas! Cant upload pictures but my new xdm is a BEAUTY! Everything the ad sai it would be!

velojym
November 15, 2011, 10:01 PM
XD45 service. Love it.

LOVE IT!

;)

JHenry
November 15, 2011, 10:11 PM
Am i the only one who thinks the XD's are really ugly? Personally id go for a sig P220 or FNP/FNX but thats just me

Ridgerunner665
November 15, 2011, 10:26 PM
I had a full size XD 45...good pistol, just too darn big though.

My wife's CCW is an XD 45c...she likes it, but has been eyeballing the G36 lately.

Anyway, I'm NOT saying get the Glock, LOL...just that the XD is a fine psitol, even if a tad big for practical CCW.

And I agree...the only thing uglier than an XD is a High Point...still, the XD is a great pistol.

basicblur
November 15, 2011, 10:35 PM
Am i the only one who thinks the XD's are really ugly?
Mebbe ya can't call 'em beautiful, or works of art, but they are mean/purposeful looking.

Kinda like aircraft-the F15, F16, & F18 are beautiful aircraft-the F4 Phantom is not.
But ya gotta admit, the Phantom is one mean looking piece of hardware that looks like it's ready to eat your lunch! :D

JHenry
November 15, 2011, 10:56 PM
^true but its not like youll be breaking the bank on an equally functioning piece that looks much smoother

http://www.impactguns.com/data/default/images/catalog/535/spg_XD9645HCSP06.jpg $509 on impactguns.com

http://www.fnherstal.com/typo3temp/pics/ab77a1a242.png $600-650, maybe thats more than one might look to pay but it sure is a nice improvement over the XD and imo worth the extra money.

Bobson
November 15, 2011, 10:57 PM
What I can say is that the XDm looks like something Bobafet puked. Aweful. Painfully so. Ugliest gun I've seen in a long long time.
I'm surprised how often I hear this. I find the XD and XDm to be extremely attractive guns. Easily my favorite of the "big 3" polymers.

cwduke08
November 16, 2011, 09:57 AM
I think my xdm is attractive! I love the feel of it. I like the more aggressive slide serrations. I also love my baby glock 27 od! It's a bit of a cannon but it performs!

If you enjoyed reading about "Springfield XD 45" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!