J C Higggins 22 revolver

PDA

crimsontidertr
October 25, 2011, 08:56 PM
Hello,I just got a J C Higgins model 88 and the barrel has 22 cal. on it.I was wondering if it was safe to shoot 22 shorts,longs and long rifle ammunition.

If you enjoyed reading about "J C Higggins 22 revolver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
antiquus
October 25, 2011, 09:25 PM
It's High Standard. It should chamber the .22 long rifle just fine, and shorts and longs will also work although they are less powerful. In today's ammunition markets .22lr is the cheap round to use, the others actually cost more now due to low production. Respect that round, small as it is, it is certainly capable of killing. If you are new to guns, I'd advise finding a gun safety course and taking it before you start to shoot. You can ask at a local gun store or gun club.

Quoheleth
October 25, 2011, 09:26 PM
It should fire all .22 shorts, longs and long rifles. Accuracy may suffer with the shorts as that gives more "freebore" as the bullet travels through the cylinder into the forcing cone and accuracy may fall off with shorts. Then again, maybe not.

Short answer - load em and shoot em.

Q

mj246
October 25, 2011, 09:42 PM
I have the same model and it definitely shoots 22lr (and therefore 22long and 22short as well)

RUT
October 25, 2011, 10:16 PM
Yes, it's a re-badged High Standard R-101.

crimsontidertr
October 26, 2011, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the answers.This web sight is so kewl

rcmodel
October 26, 2011, 11:45 AM
One thing.
If you do shoot shorts, be sure and throughly clean the chambers with a bore brush & solvent afterward.

Longs and long rifles use the same length case.
But the .22 Short case is ahhhh - shorter, and will leave carbon fouling in the chambers which can make loading & ejecting L or LR difficult.

BTW: Good luck finding any .22 Long ammo.
It's getting rarer then hens teeth anymore except for CB caps.

rc

harvester
October 26, 2011, 09:54 PM
I have one of these as well and need instructions on tear down to replace what feels like a broken spring. Is any information available on disasembly?

BCCL
October 26, 2011, 11:11 PM
Harvester, here is a PDF factory manual with detailed parts diagram if that will help.

http://www.histandard.info/manuals/hprevolvers/0538D150R.pdf

harvester
October 27, 2011, 09:46 PM
Thanks BCCL. I still would like some hints regarding those pins which I understand make it a little harder to put back together unless you follow the correct sequence . Anyone?

BCCL
October 28, 2011, 10:45 AM
This book has the Sentinel Mark IV, which is roughly the same gun.

Gun Digest Book of Revolvers Assembly/Disassembly
by J.B. Wood

Lots of good info' on the various models.
http://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/Sentinel/sentinel.html

harvester
October 28, 2011, 02:52 PM
BCCL that looks like what I am looking for. I can work on a Colt but I have never seen one of these apart so I think I will get the book. Thanks.

BCCL
October 28, 2011, 08:21 PM
Those pins can make them "fun" to put back together!

The gunsmith I used to work for hated messing with them and the H&R revolvers with pins.

If you enjoyed reading about "J C Higggins 22 revolver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!