S&W prices

PDA

BugOut
October 25, 2011, 10:06 PM
Please explain why the 642 is msrp 449.00 for 38 +p, but the 351 is 779.00 for a .22 mag? :confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W prices" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MachIVshooter
October 25, 2011, 10:09 PM
Chambering and price have no correlation in most cases. It just is what it is, and they're two completely different firearms..

GEM
October 25, 2011, 10:10 PM
Supply and demand - the 38s are very popular - so the set up costs, etc. are spread across many guns.

The 22 mags, 327s, etc. aren't.

Also since these guns are a touch more exotic - the users might pay more.

BossHogg
October 25, 2011, 10:22 PM
Supply and demand. Pocket carry J-frames is where it's at with the market at and the 38 spl is at the top of the list.

I love my 638 with CT lasers,so easy to carry.

I would love a 22 mag but not at that price. So I keep looking.

orionengnr
October 26, 2011, 12:03 AM
Look up "Economy of scale".
If you own a Honda Accord, you will get four tires (mounted and balanced) for about what I pay for two motorcylcle tires that use considerably less rubber...and my tires last 10,000 miles instead of your 40-60,000 miles.
Hint....the Honda Accord is the .38 Spl.

Guillermo
October 26, 2011, 01:22 AM
because a sucker was born born every minute during P.T. Barnum's day.

Now it is every millisecond.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=621878

ugaarguy
October 26, 2011, 03:16 AM
There are reasons beyond just economy of scale. The 351 (which is what I think you meant to type since the 315 is a .38 Spl K Frame) has an aluminum barrel shroud with a steel barrel liner. That's not an inexpensive process.

Next we have to get into the rest of the economy of scale. The .22 LR & .22 Mag J Frames are the only ones that use aluminum cylinders, and even those are different beyond chamber size. The LRs are 8 shot, and the Mags are 7 shot. That's a different cylinder and ejector star for each.

Hopefully that provides a little more insight on the price difference.

Thaddeus Jones
October 26, 2011, 09:47 AM
Guillermo nailed it. :)

JERRY
October 26, 2011, 10:08 AM

this.

oneounceload
October 26, 2011, 05:17 PM

Wrong - again, it seems folks have NO understanding of business or manufacturing.

The responses about economy of scale are more correct, especially when mentioning retooling

Guillermo
October 26, 2011, 06:17 PM
it seems folks have no understanding of business or manufacturing

literally laughing out loud

Old Fuff
October 26, 2011, 06:33 PM
I side with oneounceload, so far as his observation that very few gun owners have zip knowledge about gun manufacturing. I could include in that some gun company CEO's I've known. I know because I used to be involved in marketing/product research, and from that you can learn alot.

Gun buyers know (or think they know) what the want from the gun companies. The company management whats to know if they can make money doing it. That last statement has blown the bottom out of a whole lot of wish lists. :uhoh:

MCgunner
October 26, 2011, 06:52 PM
Wrong - again, it seems folks have NO understanding of business or manufacturing.

The responses about economy of scale are more correct, especially when mentioning retooling'

Mmm, well, have you ever heard of "Marketing"? If you can get more for a product and not suffer enough sales loss to affect your highest profits, you will. The more you can sell at the most profit is what is sought after.

Now, there's lots of competition in the snubby carry market, but how much competition is there for an alloy .22 mag? I doubt the manufacturing cost for that gun is 50 bucks more than for the .38. It's MARKETING (fools will buy it if they want a .22 mag alloy revolver) that sets the price.

oneounceload
October 28, 2011, 09:00 AM
What is "manufacturing cost" to you?

How much does it cost them to completely retool their line each time they change models? How much has the fixed and variable costs risen since 2008 elections?

Marketing is important, but so is dealing with the volume of a product. Fixed costs have to be spread out over the product made - the more made, the lower the fixed costs per unit, the lower the added cost to the product

Every dollar increase in sales is about 8% to the bottom line. Every dollar saved in manufacturing costs, is a dollar to the bottom line

oldfool
October 28, 2011, 10:23 AM
Why did a old vintage all SS (though mint) S&W 651 4" 22 mag cost me more than a S&W 351 lum-in-um snubbie 22 mag would ? :eek:
(they both come with original box & papers)
supply & demand... mostly demand in my case, and happy to do it to myself too, go figger :D

PS
"aluminum barrel shroud with a steel barrel liner. That's not an inexpensive process."
actually it is pretty cheap (and 2nd rate)... but it is... oh wow.. lighter weight

MCgunner
October 28, 2011, 12:33 PM
Supply and demand...Hmmm. :D Yeah, a gun is worth what someone will give you for it.

oldfool
October 28, 2011, 02:21 PM
yup, supply and demand.. :)
I manfully resisted for 5 years, passed up a bunch of similar "deals"
pert near bought a Rossi
pert near bought a Pathfinder
tried hard to love T, but just could not

finally just caved in
I use to 'swear' I would never pay more than $300 for any firearm
then it was $400.. then it was $500.. then it was $600...
now it's ~$800 (but only very rarely, only once.. so far.. still tempted to go looking for a Diamondback)

What finally broke me is realizing I wasn't going to live forever, and I was past the point of caring whether it really was 'better' or not
Sometimes you just know what you want (demand), and that makes it worth the price of admission
(ladies and guns, you know, never a bad bet when you just really really know)
I must of made the right choice(s), because milady of 38 years thinks it's 'just right'
(well... that S&W anyway ;))

don't get no better than that
worth whatever you pay, plus some
milady.. I only manfully 'resisted' about 16 months... but I was younger and smarter then !
(god loves a fool.. and so do some ladies)

PS
other ladies.. pert near did that too
but sometimes the "demand" factor is well worth the waiting period, trial and error optional
(but just a little bit of trial and error never hurt, so as long as you don't overdo it)

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W prices" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!