S&W Model 15-2 Combat Masterpiece, a few questions...

PDA

Bula
October 26, 2011, 12:10 PM
Just picked up a VERY clean Smith Model 15-2. Serial # K6962XX. It has the wider Target Hammer Spur and Trigger, I can't find any info on whether or not these were standard production. Can anyone tell me anything more about these? Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W Model 15-2 Combat Masterpiece, a few questions..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Old Fuff
October 26, 2011, 04:07 PM
Yes and No.... :confused:

At the time S&W offered hammers with 3 different cocking spur widths.

1. .265" Same width as the rest of the hammer.
2. .375" Slightly wider then #1, but the spur was the same length.
3. .500" Both wider and longer.

And 2 different triggers:

1. .265" - So called "Service Trigger," entire part was the same width.
2. .400" - So called "Target Trigger," with wider fingerpiece.

The standard combination for the model 15 (.38 Combat Masterpiece) was hammer #2 and Trigger #1. However they would often make short runs that featured hammer #3 with Trigger #2 as standard equipment.

They also made a fair number that has a white-outlined rear sight notch with a red post insert in the front blade. Standard models had the same sights without an outline or insert.

Standard service stocks were "Magna service," but one's with oversized target stocks were also made and included as standard.

In short, the very popular .38 Combat Masterpiece was offered with a wide combination of hammers, triggers, sights and stocks, in much the same way that car manufacturers offer both plain and loaded cars, with the latter filled with what would usually be considered extra-cost options, but in this particular case came as standard - for a price of course.

Bula
October 26, 2011, 04:25 PM
That is great info Old Fuff. Thank You. Any idea on date of production? Serial # K6962XX.

Old Fuff
October 26, 2011, 04:39 PM
Unfortunately my reference book isn't where I am.

However if you call Smith & Wesson at (800) 331-0852, ask for Customer Service, and give them the model and serial number they will give you an approximate date when it was made - but nothing more. This of course is for free.

If you are willing to pay a $50.00 research fee they will go back through the shipping records (which are not as of now computerized) and tell you exact information about the gun, any special accessories, to what distributor (or whoever) it was shipped, and on what day.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W Model 15-2 Combat Masterpiece, a few questions..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!