Colt Python Currently Overpriced

PDA

Motega
October 27, 2011, 03:59 PM
The prices of Colt Pythons are downright scary right now- anyone know why? Sometimes I see when a particular gun is in a popular movie or something the price spikes for a year or so and then takes a nosedive.
I'm interested/concerned because I've been wanting to get a nickel python 6" for a few years now and the prices have spiked over the last few months/year.

I suspect partially from the success of the "Call of Duty" games and Gen X being both a large segment of the gaming community and finally able to afford a few toys this gun is so popular (it's a popular gun in the game). Sounds stupid I know but I'm scratching my head here coming up with anything better.

Anyonw know what's up? They are great guns, but $2500 asking price in some cases for a stock 1970's ? Absurd.

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt Python Currently Overpriced" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gunsablazin
October 27, 2011, 04:05 PM
I don't think the Python is made anymore for one thing, and even so they are overpriced. My dad has a very nice Python Elite 4" like new, I'm sure he would sell it to you for considerably less than $2,500.

Gordon
October 27, 2011, 04:11 PM
I sold my NIB ones last year. Figured the money can't hold out in this economy for such luxury items. I bought silver at $11 with the proceeds. I still have a finish worn 2,5" I'll keep and am buying all good 50s-70s snubs I can find at low prices. Think I'll dump my as new 6" .22 Diamondback soon. The .22mag version I had fetched almost $2500 5 years ago. I'd sure like to have a 3.5" S&W Model 27-2 or earlier in Nickel instead.

load748
October 27, 2011, 04:39 PM
python is one of the last hand fitted wheel guns; in addition , they're are not made anymore. price is set by supply and demand. your next collector series from colt will be the diamond back followed by the troopers....compare the price of 22 lr diamond backs to the 38 ctg's.....22 lr troopers are currently hot and getting more collectable

O C
October 27, 2011, 05:06 PM
I'm glad to hear this, because I have a Python, .22lr Diamondback, 3 Troopers 1 ea of .357, .22 mag, and .22lr. Maybe I can retire now.

sig220mw
October 27, 2011, 05:36 PM
They were and still are some of the best 357 mag revolvers ever made. A lot of hand fitting and great finish work. They are also shooters. Add to this the fact that they quit making them about 15 or so years ago.

I had a chance to buy one about 6 years ago. The owner had died and his widow had my son and I do some work around her house. She showed me her late husband's gun collection. He had probably 15 or 16 different guns and she had prices on all of them. I told her I would be buying 2 or 3 including the python in about a month. She said fine but no deal was finalized. Naturally when I went back she had sold all of them to 2 men that were obviously either dealers or packing a lot of cash. I could have gotten the python for $400.00 at that time. If I had only had the cash earlier.

I just ordered a trooper mk III and am paying too much for it. I had one in the past and went insane one day and sold it. The troopers are getting much more pricey too.

None of them, Pythons or Troopers are going to get cheaper.

welldoya
October 27, 2011, 05:42 PM
Personally I think a lot of these high priced sales are going to buyers that are operating on the "bigger fool" theory. But that's just my opinion.
I think Pythons prices are in a bubble right now, kind of like real estate was a few years ago and you see what happened to real estate.
But, if I'm wrong, I've got a 6" .22 LR Trooper that I will cash in.

HDCamel
October 27, 2011, 05:46 PM
The same reasons that original Cz-75s are overpriced: They aren't made anymore and they have a reputation of being "the best".

Jon Coppenbarger
October 27, 2011, 06:57 PM
so I have a lnib 6" bright stainless one I will taking to a show this weekend. what should I ask on it?

evan price
October 27, 2011, 07:15 PM
Don't forget the King Cobras. Seeing $700+ out of 4" stainless ones and the blued ones are getting towards Python prices.

The Magnum Carry is another Colt to collect.

dfariswheel
October 27, 2011, 07:19 PM
Jon Coppenbarger

A LNIB Bright stainless should start around $1400 at a minimum.

Mr.454
October 27, 2011, 08:22 PM
Between Call of Duty: Black Ops and now the series The Walking Dead the python has been reintroduced to pop culture. Don't worry it will blow over, it is however nice to see protagonists carrying revolvers again. I just wish more decent revolvers would show up on the tables at the local gun shows. I want my m-10!!!! Oh and a trooper, python, GP100, and soooo many others.

ColtPythonElite
October 27, 2011, 08:40 PM
I don't think the Python is made anymore for one thing, and even so they are overpriced. My dad has a very nice Python Elite 4" like new, I'm sure he would sell it to you for considerably less than $2,500.

If it is in the box, like new, and "considerably less than $2500 feel free to have dad PM me if he wants to sell.

ColtPythonElite
October 27, 2011, 08:41 PM
so I have a lnib 6" bright stainless one I will taking to a show this weekend. what should I ask on it?

PM sent

Tony_the_tiger
October 27, 2011, 08:45 PM
Colt python currently featured as primary weapon of Rick Grimes in "the walking dead" on AMC.

http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/rick-andrew-lincoln-walking-dead-season-2-teaser.jpg

ColtPythonElite
October 27, 2011, 08:48 PM
I know several Python collectors. I can guarantee you not one of them buy their guns based on a video game or tv series.

highpower
October 27, 2011, 08:51 PM
Their not all priced in the stratosphere.......I bought this one back in July at a LGS for $850. Made in 1964 and in about 97-98% condition. It is missing the original grips however. No big deal since I like shooting it with the ones that are on it.
http://highpower.smugmug.com/Other/Python/i-86PgmMS/0/XL/IMG0367-XL.jpg

ColtPythonElite
October 27, 2011, 09:07 PM
$850 was a fair price and probably price accordingly due to it missing a set of $200+ grips.

This came home with me earlier this year for less than 800 bucks. She had some holster wear, but was sporting the original grips.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=151633&stc=1&d=1319760582

highpower
October 27, 2011, 09:47 PM
I am currently looking for a set of original grips for it, but I am in no particular hurry at this time.

I have a set of Officers Model grips, which if I am not mistaken, are the same as the Python grips only with silver medallions instead of gold. Quite honestly I find the set that came with it to fit my hand better. If and when I turn up a set, they will be only on it when it is in the safe.

SlamFire1
October 27, 2011, 09:57 PM
Gunwriters shilled the Colt Python very heavily for decades. It got a lot of press exposure.

I have a 6" Stainless Python. It is a fine pistol, very accurate. In my opinion, I paid too much for it when I traded a M686 and $200.00 cash .

Colt did make sure the Python stayed a high quality piece. From old American Rifleman articles Python barrels were 25% more accurate as a population than the standard models. The fit and finish on the things are generally outstanding.

TonyT
October 27, 2011, 10:08 PM
The Colt Python was the last of a long line of Colt revolvers. It was priced at a premium when introduced with a very bright blue finish and great attention to detail and marketable features - ie. vent rib. Personally I can do as well with the Colt Officers Model Match revolver without the fancy vent rib.

huntsman
October 27, 2011, 10:15 PM
I know several Python collectors. I can guarantee you not one of them buy their guns based on a video game or tv series.
Are they the ones responsible for the price run ups or is it speculators and fanboys? I always thought true collectors knew the values and that led to a stable market.

ColtPythonElite
October 27, 2011, 10:22 PM
Are they the ones responsible for the price run ups or is it speculators and fanboys? I always thought true collectors knew the values and that led to a stable market.

I do not know who is responsible for the price run up. However, I am currently seeing a decline and expect prices to fall a good bit over the next year or so. I'd guess some speculation has caused the rise. I do not really know the true definition of a "fanboy", so I can't answer on that one.....True collectors do know the values, but they can't control what guns sell for. If guns are selling at X amount, that is what their value currenlty is in my eyes. Right now, GB is what sets the mark for many. I gauge what a gun is worth by what they have recently brought on GB. I try to take an average of several auctions for the same model, not just one fluke that brought big money from a bidding war, sucker, or just plain fool.

Motega
October 27, 2011, 11:40 PM
I JUST SAW that "Walking Dead" show for the first time, I had it recorded for the last few weeks and of course I noticed the Python right away and remembered I posted this today.
It's a chicken/egg thing but the gun has an undeniable media presence right now.
Don't get me wrong, it's everything you guys say it is which is why it's one of the only guns on my short list (the other being an AK and maybe if I hit the lottery something in the way of a ranch in Utah and some destructive devices).
I'll find one eventually, there are plenty of 'em around.

Chindo18Z
October 27, 2011, 11:48 PM
Just be patient and keep on the lookout.

A pristine 6" stainless Python was listed (private sale) on my state auction board the other night for $850. Needless to say, it didn't last for long at that price.

I picked up a blued 6" model for a little over $800 about two years ago at a local pawnshop...after looking at several other specimens for sale at prices ranging from $1100 - $1400. :)

trex1310
October 28, 2011, 12:14 AM
I wish I had kept my other two Pythons. I only have one left.

pendennis
October 28, 2011, 12:57 AM
At one of the LGS's in my area, there are two for sale, a blue 4" for $775, and a blue 6" for $875. Both are shooter grades, and could stand refinishing. Both wear Hogues, but they both lock up tight.

You could send each off to Colt for refinish, re-roll mark, and tune-up, and you would have shooter grades for which you could easily recoup, and more, your investment.

There is just nothing like the Python. No other revolver ever came out of the factory with as much handfitting and superior metal finishing.

I just got this one back from Colt. I had the same done to it as I described above. It took 16 weeks to the day, but it looks and shoots like a new Python. As I write, the stocks are on their way for a complete refurbish.

http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu331/pendennis1947/ColtPythonRefinish1973ModelLFT.jpg

788Ham
October 28, 2011, 01:24 AM
Beautiful firearm pendennis. I have a 6" .357 in the safe, fantastic weapons! If you don't mind my asking, what did Colt charge you for the work?

eazyrider
October 28, 2011, 07:48 AM
I own a Python and to me it is the best handgun ever made. I would not consider selling it. I am curious though, where in Call of Duty is the Python? I have played the game and still do and the only revolver is just called a Magnum.

Motega
October 28, 2011, 09:24 AM
Yep, I have no doubt I'll get my nickel python for $1000 if I am patient.

I was just happy to see for the last day or so Google was returning this thread in the top 5 search results for "nickel Colt Python" ...

What's going to happen here is Colt is going to see the value has soared and start making them again, and all of the poor clods who spent $2000 are going to be drowning in their tears.

pendennis
October 28, 2011, 11:26 AM
788HAM wrote:
Beautiful firearm pendennis. I have a 6" .357 in the safe, fantastic weapons! If you don't mind my asking, what did Colt charge you for the work?

It was $450; $325 for rebluing, $100 for the re-roll and tune-up; $25 to ship back to me. IMHO, worth every penny.

oldfool
October 28, 2011, 11:36 AM
who sez they are overpriced ?
Taurus-only folks ?
(priced a '59 Vette lately ??)

HDCamel
October 28, 2011, 12:38 PM
I own a Python and to me it is the best handgun ever made. I would not consider selling it. I am curious though, where in Call of Duty is the Python? I have played the game and still do and the only revolver is just called a Magnum.
The Python is the revolver in Black Ops. The "Magnum" is in MW2.

22-rimfire
October 28, 2011, 12:48 PM
I sold my last Python a few years ago. I wanted to re-invest the proceeds into something I am more interested in. What appeared as a result of that sale? A 6" NIB Diamondback in 38spl and a 95-98% Colt Trooper in 22. At today's prices, I would not buy a Python. I am far more interested in Colt Diamondbacks and they are plenty expensive these days.

38 Super Fan
October 28, 2011, 01:01 PM
What do you think it would cost to build a Python today? They probably aren't as overpriced as you think, good ones can be found in the $1200 range fairly easily.

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n602/hackman1911/pythondeck003.jpg

My 67 recently set me back $1160.

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n602/hackman1911/6inchPython004.jpg

My 72 with original box was $1300 shipped, I found them both on "ridiculously overpriced" GunBroker. ;)

Gordon
October 28, 2011, 01:40 PM
I was in this 8" nickel $900 from mid 90s, I cleared $1800 last year so the unfired real nose heavy gun doubled in 15 years, not bad but the silver I Bought at $11 then has more than tripled in one year.:D Ya got to know when to hold and and when to cash in. BTW I'm betting on pre 80s snubbies right now and holding the silver.;)
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i203/gordonhulme/oiling019.jpg

Close as I got to firing it!
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i203/gordonhulme/oiling020.jpg

alienbogey
October 28, 2011, 10:13 PM
My 1968 that I bought for $500 last year and sent to Colt for refinish:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b35/alienbogey/PythonAfter3of9.jpg

pendennis
October 28, 2011, 10:58 PM
My 1968 that I bought for $500 last year and sent to Colt for refinish:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b35/alienbogey/PythonAfter3of9.jpg
That is a very fine looking Python. Also, love those stocks.

4v50 Gary
October 29, 2011, 01:57 AM
Nice refinish. I should send my 4" Python for refinishing. BTW, I paid $350 back in the late '80s. New Pythons were $350 back in the late '70s. Pythons are about the only gun that has kinda kept up with inflation.

CajunBass
October 29, 2011, 11:10 AM
If I'm buying one, they're overpriced.

If I'm selling one, they haven't peaked yet.

PabloJ
October 29, 2011, 11:30 AM
While the Python never appealed to me they may not actually be overpriced. Just look at what WWII GI issue .45 pistols bring. The Python is high quality well put together piece while those grunt guns are like corncob devoid of corn!

Blue68f100
October 29, 2011, 08:47 PM
Here is my 6" Nickle Custom Python by Colt. I bought this in 1977 and have thought about selling it to fund another project. This has the factory tuning and adj sights done by COLT. It has the best trigger that I have ever found. Smooth as glass double or single, surprise break every time. I have the original box and papers. The box is not in good shape from being in the garage for so many years. I turned down $1600 6 mo ago.

http://img860.imageshack.us/img860/3221/python.jpg

masterofchaos
October 29, 2011, 09:32 PM
alienbogey, Nice lookin Colt. How much did the refinishing set you back, if I may ask?

Motega
October 29, 2011, 09:42 PM
Gorgeous revolvers, every last one of 'em!

cochise
October 30, 2011, 11:31 AM
Beautiful revolvers. I have a 4" & a 6" that I will never sell. I never see any deals in my neighborhood. $1800 and $2500 for one with a box is the norm. Too expensive for me.

Guillermo
October 30, 2011, 02:20 PM
To the OP

Compared to a police trade in 686 for 400 bucks the Python seems expensive.

When the cash price at Bud's for a "classic" model 27 is $847 with MIM parts, crush fit/two piece barrel and the Hillary Hole...a thousand bucks for a Python seems pretty reasonable.

oldfool
October 30, 2011, 03:01 PM
now, now G, play fair !
don't be dissin' them S&Ws without at least comparing out-of-production models ;)

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/admin/product_details.php?itemID=46261
$1595

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/admin/product_details.php?itemID=25852
$1250 (only in "very good" condition, but it probably still shoots ok)

and both worth it, if you ask me :)

Guillermo
October 30, 2011, 03:12 PM
(improperly named) Old Fool,

I am being fair.

When one is looking for a gun you look at the whole market.

The Taurus at Academy, the 686 police trade in at the pawn shop, the "classic" model 27 in the new case at the gun store, the Python on the auction site.

Of course many folks like myself have looked in the new case and decided that that garbage should belong to someone else and there is no rush if I decide I want to buy a Taurus.

(FYI, the pre-MIM 686 is my current wife's desk gun and the Python is on the nightstand)

Josh45
October 30, 2011, 10:53 PM
So I guess a decent used one for 1200-1500 is kinda O.k? Not to great really?

sixgunner455
October 30, 2011, 11:20 PM
For 1200-1500, it should be in pretty good shape, really. A friend of mine got one for 1200 early this year. It's beautiful.

Guillermo
October 31, 2011, 12:31 AM
take your time and shop.

you will find a great Python for a grand

in the last 12 months I picked up a K22 for 290 (well used but mechanically strong) and a near perfect Diamondback (no blue wear but some idiot drilled it for a scope) for 466.

Be patient and the deal will come.

(BTW, I also overpaid for a roached Diamondback so as to save the old girl and 50 bucks too much for a Winchester 63....so learn from me...don't let emotion get involved)

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt Python Currently Overpriced" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!