22LR vs. 22WMR, SD? Loud?

PDA

Sulaco
October 27, 2011, 03:47 PM
So my sister might be seriously considering her concealed weapons permit, or at the very least a defensive handgun. My mom too, actually. Neither of them are shooters but I feel confident they could handle a rimfire revolver. I am just undecided on the caliber. I am leaning more towards the 22LR just from the noise and cost of ammo standpoint, but is the 22WMR that much better? My wife and I have our own guns, so this is strictly for non-gun people, who want to warm up to the idea. I'd like to make that process as easy as possible and while I know rimfire revolvers are about the bottom of the ideal caliber for defensive use, we are not comparing 9mm and 45ACP here, so lets keep things practical for reality's sake. Thanks for any help and input!

If you enjoyed reading about "22LR vs. 22WMR, SD? Loud?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ratshooter
October 27, 2011, 04:16 PM
Which gun? Are yoou talking about one of the mini revolvers or a gun with a 4-6" barrel. The 22 mag will always be more powerful the the 22lr round. And the blast is much greater the shorter the barrel when using a 22 mag. If you can find one a 32S&W long with a 4" barrel makes a good choice but ammo cost will kill you. Its a better round than a 22lr and not much recoil.

Still if they are non gun people I think a 22lr would be better than nothing and lots of non shooters have turned into real gun fanatics when they find out how much fun shooting can be.

OldCavSoldier
October 27, 2011, 04:23 PM
I agree with Ratshooter. The key is to get them excited about pistol shooting - they will be more encouraged to practice and will therefore become proficient at putting the bullets where they want them - and they will naturally develop an interest in other pistols/revolvers of other calibers and will be more at-ease in shooting other guns of larger caliber. One thing I learned about gals and guns (my wife and daughter are excellent shots) is that you need to let them take their time - don't pressure them.

Sulaco
October 27, 2011, 04:33 PM
Oh yeah, I totally agree. I am taking it real slow. In fact, this interest is totally theirs due to some local crimes against women in our area. I am leaning towards the snubnose 22LR.

Drail
October 27, 2011, 04:35 PM
There seem to be a lot of threads around where folks consider the relative "loudness" of different calibers. At the decibel levels produced by firearms there is no appreciable difference. They're all extremely loud. A .22 will damage your eardrums and so will a .45-70. It is kind of silly to worry about how "loud" this or that gun is. Use quality hearing and eye protection and forget about it. Worry about muzzle discipline and placing your shots where you need them.

Sulaco
October 27, 2011, 04:38 PM
I suppose "silly" is a relative term. In this instance, that relativity is based on the person doing the shooting. If the gun is obnoxiously loud (as I am afraid the 22WMR would be at the barrel length's I am considering), it's not going to be nearly as enjoyable for them to shoot. The point being they become comfortably proficient, it now seems more pertinent, wouldn't you agree?

22-rimfire
October 28, 2011, 04:38 PM
I'd go with 22LR in a snubbie if only it is used for concealed carry. For a gun around the house, a 4" barrel would be more practical and more than likely easier for them to shoot and hit what they are aiming at.

oldfool
October 28, 2011, 04:41 PM
don't be range shooting either without hearing protection at the range
but yes, the 22 WMR is a lot louder than 22LR
(I have even had range people ask me what that auto-pistola is... 9 mm ??)

best handgun for any raw newbie is a 22LR, learn to shoot 1st
but if you cannot do both (re: SD potential), yes 22WMR trumps 22LR

new shooters, do 'em a favor, start with no less than 4" of barrel in either/any
snubbies and centerfires can come later/next

MachIVshooter
October 28, 2011, 06:16 PM
.22 LR out of a pistol barks pretty good.

My PMR-30 has more muzzle flash and noise than my 10mm's.

I'd strongly suggest that you get them comfortable with a .38 or 9mm. Much more effective.

MCgunner
October 28, 2011, 08:27 PM
.22 WMR from a 2" barrel sounds like a real gun. :D It hits harder than a .22LR by a bit, but that ain't sayin' much. I have a NAA Black Widow in .22 mag. It's a bit of a specialty gun, not an every day carry. I carried it today as back up to my .45ACP. The cool weather allowed that. Normally, I'll pocket carry a 9 and my NAA .22 is in my weak side pocket, but today I belt carried since it didn't get over 70 all day and I could wear a vest without dying of heat stroke. :D Do it when I can cause it'll be back in the high 80s, low 90s in a few days, no doubt. :rolleyes:

I also suggest a more appropriate SD caliber, .38 or perhaps a larger framed .380 or maybe a .327 with .32H&R if they can't handle full power .327 stuff. .22 is pretty pathetic, but will do the job. I just prefer more punch if I can carry it.

Pyro
October 28, 2011, 09:11 PM
.22lr is absolutely fine in my opinion.
Better than following the sheep and not going unarmed.

If you enjoyed reading about "22LR vs. 22WMR, SD? Loud?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!