Bullet drop at 100 meters .22LR

PDA

Hunter2011
October 28, 2011, 04:33 AM
I know there are ballistic programs but with so many variables I never use these programs.
I just want to know if my .22LR is sighted in at 25 meters with Eley Tenex Ultimate EPS how much will the bullet drop be at 100 meters.
The scope is on low mounts.
I want to use the turret to dail in for different distances but if the drop is too much I dont want a 0.125 scope but would rather look at a 0.25 scope.

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Bullet drop at 100 meters .22LR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sav .250
October 28, 2011, 07:45 AM
One sure way to find out .....take it to the range see what it does on paper.

Don`t dis-count ballistic tables. You need to start some place.

Hunter2011
October 28, 2011, 08:04 AM
To go to the range is the best answer, but this weekend its not possible for me. I want to buy a new scope so I need to know this before making my mind up. I don't want to order the scope only 10 days from now:)
If someone who has allready tested it himself can respond I can order my new scope today allready. Even if its out by up to 1cm then its still fine with me

JDGray
October 28, 2011, 09:51 AM
Probably in the neighborhood of 8"

Sky
October 28, 2011, 10:15 AM
http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56146&highlight=trajectory

If you sight-in for 59 yards, your bullets will only be +/- 1/2" from your POA [Point Of Aim] from 12 1/2 yards to 66 yards, and 1 1/4" low at 75 yards, and ~ 4 3/4" low at 100 yards. Your results may vary slightly.

Hunter2011
October 28, 2011, 10:23 AM
8'' sounds about right. Thanks for confirming this figure I thought it might be give or take.
So it will take 64 clicks on a .125 scope and 32 clicks on a .25 scope to get on target at 100 meters.
I wonder how many clicks is a complete 360 degree rotation on a 0.125 scope. I'm at work, can't test it myself now unfortunately.

Batty67
October 28, 2011, 10:42 AM
I just sighted in my Ruger 10-22 at 100 yards with Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5x scope and 32 clicks sounds about right. Then confirmed/adjusted on 50 yards and adjusted so it shoots about 1" high and at 2-3" low at 100 yards. I really don't plan on shooting past 100 yards, but might, I mean, it's not like the ammo is expensive.

TonyAngel
October 28, 2011, 11:47 AM
Shooting a 10/22 with an 18" Kidd barrel that is zeroed for 50 yards, my come up is 7.5MOA at 100 shooting Wolf Match Target.

MrWesson
October 28, 2011, 01:21 PM
depends on subsonic,standard,supersonic,hyper velocity.

I think the federal bulk is around 5.5"

Husker_Fan
October 28, 2011, 01:32 PM
I looked the ballistic tables up after the season finale of Top Shot. In the "Call Your Shot" competition, Dustin chose a Volquestrian rifle, shooting a golf ball off a tee at 100 yards. I would guess the rifle was zeroed at 25 yards. I figured he knew there was a slim to no chance that the other competitors would know the bullet drop at that range. He hit and the other two missed way low. The table I looked up had a drop of about 6".

sarduy
October 28, 2011, 07:27 PM
i have a zero of 50 yards, it drop 6.5 to 7 inches at 100 yards, using federal bulk ammo.

NCsmitty
October 28, 2011, 10:16 PM
Here's a link to some interesting data for the 22LR, including drop to 100 yds.

http://www.gunsmoke.com/guns/1022/22ballistics.html

NCsmitty

Hunter2011
October 29, 2011, 12:53 AM
Guys, thanks for all the responses. I'm sorted. I tested the only .125moa scope I have and found it has 72 clicks per full rotation. That is 9 moa. As I need only 64 clicks for up to 100 meters, if zero'd at 25 meters, I will be able to dail in the distance using less than a full 360 degree rotation of the turret from 25 meters to 100 meters.

Does all .125 scopes have the same number of clicks per full rotation or not? I've come across a scope that has a 25moa adjustment range per rotation! But that is a scope made specifically for that reason.

Bonesinium
October 29, 2011, 01:56 AM
http://www.nikonhunting.com/spoton/index.php

The link above is a free ballistics calculator from Nikon. If you simply want an approximate drop just put in your zero, your target distance, and that ammo and whoolah. Done.

For Eley Tenex your drop with a 25 meters (about 27 yards) zero for a 100 meter (about 109 yard) target is right at 11 inches. I'm not sure what Eley Tenex Utimate EPS is, and if that is a different round or not.

I assume the 8" drop people were coming up with is with a 25 yard zero and 100 yard target. That would be correct. I am showing a 8.21" drop if you are talking yards not meters.

It has 100's of different bullets/calibers, you can set your zero distance, target distance, barometric pressure, altitude, temperature, yeah...

It will give some pretty accurate bullet drop numbers for your .22lr.

Hunter2011
October 29, 2011, 02:14 AM
I've just last night looked at this site, and used it. I was worried because it said drop will be 11 inches. In real life its 8 inches as confirmed here. That is a difference of 3 inches.... Who is right? That is why I dont want to use balistics software. I like to use information from actual field test by actual people, which I hope is more accurate.

Bonesinium
October 29, 2011, 02:17 AM
As you see from my edit, are you sure your range is right. The difference between meters and yards will give you that 3" differential, just as being off on your zero distance and/or target distance can also give you discrepancies.

Hunter2011
October 29, 2011, 02:52 AM
Yes, I even changed the yards to meters, entered the correct scope hight. And I've sellected the correct bullet. I'm going to try to go to the range today and would like to compare actual results to the results from ballistics software.
I'm sure someone else have done this before?

Hunter2011
October 29, 2011, 02:58 AM
I've just read this and basically this is the reason I don't trust software.

''Testing the predictive qualities of software
Due to the practical inability to know in advance and compensate for all the variables of flight, no software simulation, however advanced, will yield predictions that will always perfectly match real world trajectories. It is however possible to obtain predictions that are very close to actual flight behaviour''

That is why I asked real life figures.:)

Bonesinium
October 29, 2011, 02:59 AM
I have, and found that apart from the error in my shooting, variations in bullets, and what could be assumed to be potentially different velocities (between the velocity used on the ballistics calculator and actual velocity from MY rifle), that it was pretty spot on. I used it for .22lr (2 different brands of ammo), .223, and .308. I even marked a POA above my intended target based on the drop it gave me, and the average of my shots was right there, albeit I didn't account for windage.

Hunter2011
October 29, 2011, 03:04 AM
If 11'' is the actual drop, then a .125 scope with 9 moa adjustments per turret rotation is not going to work for me.

Bonesinium
October 29, 2011, 03:17 AM
Better hope it is closer to 8" for you then! :)

Hunter2011
October 29, 2011, 03:27 AM
Thanks for opening a can of worms for my anyway:p

Hunter2011
October 29, 2011, 03:03 PM
Okay, I went to the range. To compare my actual results with the software.
Settings used: Scope hight 1.5. Eley Tenex ammo. 25 meter zero.
According to the software I must be shooting 0.95'' low at 50 meters.
My actual tested figure was 0.59''.
In milimeters, what I use to measure, the difference between actual tests and the software is rather a lot.
Software is 24mm
My actual results: 15mm.
That is a big difference to me. Unfortunately I could not test at 100 meters as time run out. The range was closed before I could do all I wanted to. At least next weekend is still there.
I'm just very dissapointed in my scope. Its tracking system is not 100% as reliable as my Leupold VX-1.

Get R Done Guns
October 29, 2011, 04:10 PM
8" is probably close. Your left to right at a hundred is your bigger problem with wind. They tend to get taken pretty hard by 10 MPH or so.

Hunter2011
October 29, 2011, 04:37 PM
You are right. The wind plays a big factor. At 50 meters today the wind made it hit 10mm/0.40'' to the left. I do not know how fast the wind was however, but it was quite heavy. Strange that at 25 meters the effect of the wind is about nil. Just double that distance and you can see the difference.

Sky
October 29, 2011, 09:05 PM
I thought I kinda understood this thread but why, when looking at the flight of a .22lr from 12.5 to 66 yards would you want to sight in for zero at 25 yards and not 59? I might have missed something??

http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56146&highlight=trajectory

http://www.gunsmoke.com/guns/1022/22ballistics.html

The bullet starts off 1.5" below the line of sight or your scope height, if the scope is 1.5" above the center line of the rifle bore then at about 12 yards, the bullet crosses into the bottom of a 1" target circle, and at 25 yards is .2" above the circle center. When the bullet reaches 40 yards it is at the top of the 1" circle, and at about 67 yards the bullet falls out the bottom of the circle. At 100 yards, the bullet is about 4 3/4" low using 40gr 1260 fsp .22lr . Yes chamber tightness and ammo makes a difference . Surprising how much difference there is in a 59 yard zero with 1260 fps and 1740 fps ammo.

NCsmitty
October 29, 2011, 10:11 PM
Nearly 50 years ago, my friend and I did a lot of shooting of 22LR at targets and game, and we learned that with the hi-velocity ammo of the day, mostly Remingtons, 1 inch high at 50yds, using the 3/4" tube scopes, would give a 75yd zero. It will still work today with the 1250fps versions available.
In spite of what information is tossed around about shooting a 22 LR to 100yds, it's much better sighted to 75yds in a hunting rifle, due to the mid-range trajectory differences.

NCsmitty

Hunter2011
October 30, 2011, 02:16 AM
Its actually a 25 meter zero:)
The reason I sight in at such a short distance is because its firstly very practical for me. Its quick and easy to confirm your zero.
And secondly because most of my shooting is done from 20 meters to 30 meters as I'm shooting from a hide. That means its always a perfect headshot.
Its only recently that I was allowed by the farmer to shoot at a different spot as well. Now I need to extend my ranges., hence the need to make my own trajectory table. I feel if you know the range and can compensate for it by dailing in, and have the time for it. Then it does not matter at what range you are zero'd in, or even what speed ammo you are using. As long as you know what it does at what distance. You will have to compensate for drop no matter what range you have chosen to sight in. Whether its 25, 35, 45 or 75 meters. At this moment 25 meters is the best for me. I still shoot a lot from that hide where the distances are at most 30 meters.
I hope I make more sense now? I will have to spend some more time at the range though as I thought about making a trajectory table for my combo from 40 meters to 100 meters with 10 meter increments.
I just need to get a better scope
I started another thread ''help me find the perfect scope for my .22LR''. But from yesterday my mind has changed on what my requirements are. I will update that thread.

Batty67
October 30, 2011, 10:05 AM
NCSmitty. I think that is why my friend had me zero my Ruger 10-22 (project for today is to put in Volquartzson target hammer and slide release) to be 1" high at 50 yards. His rationale was that the 1" would be more like 1.5" at 25 yards or less (easy to deal with), and would be several inches low at 100 yards. What he did not say, and what you did, was that somewhere between 50 and 100 yards it would zero. He also stated repeatedly that 100 yards is a bit beyond the normal max range for using a .22. Totally do-able, but the drop gets significant. Using this zero (1" high at 50 yards) allows me to hit what I shoot at with my low-power scope using minor changes in where I aim. We'll see how this works out in practice.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bullet drop at 100 meters .22LR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!