Are there any 38 super fan out around ?

PDA

rem22long40x
October 28, 2011, 05:29 AM
I have only 2 at this time and love them . the round is highly over looked , and factory ammo is severly under powered . I push mine up to the lower level of 357 bulistics. But with a 130gr.the best accuresy is around 1280fps. I have a Rock Ilend and a Tarus ,both 1911's. I had a 70 seres Colt but it was wurth more to a colector than it was accurit so I let it go about 15 years ago. But the RI is the most accurit of the three I have owned and when I'm on a hot streek I can shoot 1/2-3/4 in. groups at 25yd. off hand as I don't like to shoot pistels from a rest . I would like to here your storys about the 38 supper. thanks . ps the tarus PT 1911s are a grate gun for the money but the first one are better than what they are putting out know . that said I still would not hesitate to bie one today . and the RIs are just geting better and better even thow they are made in the Phillipeins, a nother grate value. David

If you enjoyed reading about "Are there any 38 super fan out around ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hunterdad
October 28, 2011, 07:27 AM
Spell check is your friend :-)

I owned one RI and wasn't impressed with it so I traded it up.

bannockburn
October 28, 2011, 07:52 AM
I have been a big fan of .38 Super for many years now. Way back when it was sometimes easier to find, and somewhat less expensive, to buy a Colt Government or Combat Commander in .38 Super than it was to find one in .45 ACP. It is also really simple to convert it to 9mm. by just adding a barrel assembly and a magazine. All in all a very versatile and fascinating cartridge to work with.

parsimonious_instead
October 28, 2011, 07:52 AM
If I hadn't already been eating a tasty breakfast sandwich, I'd have run out and gotten one!

I've always wanted to try a 1911 in .38 super. Supposedly an excellent cartridge, and as Mas Ayoob has pointed out, it's an excellent option for countries that disallow "civilians" from having military caliber firearms.

45_auto
October 28, 2011, 08:30 AM
First pistol I ever bought was a Colt .38 Super in 1975. It still shoots like brand new.

I never got another one. Nothing wrong with the cartridge, it's great if you're playing gun games (IPSC, etc) and want to load it to optimize your chances at the game. But for my purposes, I've always found the .45 ACP to be more practical in the 1911.

mavracer
October 28, 2011, 09:17 AM
yes I love my 38 supers.
Lord I hope english is not your first language.

Ankeny
October 28, 2011, 09:25 AM
I have had several .38 Supers and I love them, but I have never been able to shoot a 1/2 inch group offhand at 25 yards with any of mine. Really quite embarrassing considering the money I have pumped into gear and practice.

rbernie
October 28, 2011, 09:39 AM
I fixed the spelling in the title - the rest, Rem22, is up to you. ;)

para38super
October 28, 2011, 11:03 AM
The 38 Super is the best round ever created. A full size 1911 in 38 super is perfect, very accurate and with a 10rd capacity of almost a 357 load who can complain.

My favorite is a Colt 38 super, I have never shot a RIA or Taurus.

Wilson Combat has a 124gr XTP load that looks very promising as a SD load, a 124gr slug going at 1350fps seems good enough to me...

jerkface11
October 28, 2011, 12:35 PM
I love mine. Too bad Glock doesn't make one.

Cowboybootnut
October 28, 2011, 12:37 PM
Colt 1911 .38 Super?

Auto-Ordinance 1911 .38 Super?

EAA Witness .38 Super"

Taurus PT 38 .38 Super?

Reloading dies, brass, bullets, 1,500 rds of ammo?

Naw, I don't like the .38 Super at all. :D;):)

38 Super Fan
October 28, 2011, 01:06 PM
Nope

critter
October 28, 2011, 01:51 PM
I recently traded for a Colt ser 70 in .38 super. Just learning about it and reloads for it. So far, I like it a lot. Shoots well without a lot of fuss.

Jim Watson
October 28, 2011, 01:58 PM
a grate kaliber an gun
but i only got one and a sucker is gonna give me money fer it so i will be down to jus 45 an .9mm

NVMM
October 28, 2011, 02:02 PM
Ha!

svtruth
October 28, 2011, 02:14 PM
Didn't they originally have accuracy problems due to the headspacing?

CollinLeon
October 28, 2011, 02:19 PM
Spell check is your friend :-)

I owned one RI and wasn't impressed with it so I traded it up.
That's one of the things that I like about Firefox as a browser. It highlights/underlines the words that you misspell... Sometimes you have to add a word to its dictionary (like I was just about to do with "FireFox" before I realized that it should be "Firefox" instead). Of course, it doesn't prevent one from making the classic its/it's, they're/their/there, your/you're, quiet/quite mistakes, but it can't prevent all mistakes... Of course the best thing about it is that you can get the AdBlocker browser add-on for it and you will significantly reduce the ads on the websites that you visit. Then again, there's probably quite a few people who just don't care enough about proper written communication to go to the effort even if they had a built-in spell checker in their browser. The kids these days aren't any better since they think that text-speak is perfectly acceptable for written communications.

RX-178
October 28, 2011, 02:25 PM
Picked up a PT38 just recently. :D

2wheels
October 28, 2011, 02:58 PM
Never tried one, but someday God willing I will own a Colt 1911 in .38 Super, just to complete my collection.

2zulu1
October 28, 2011, 06:42 PM
I have a Colt Gov't and Para in .38 Super, the Colt is a much better reliable quality between the two.

A handloader's dream that can take a 125gr XTP (.357cal) well into factory .357mag velocities. The 125gr XTP is a LOT stronger than the 124gr XTP (9mm), especially at elevated MVs in the upper 1400s.

One of the very first things I noticed about the Super was its fast follow-up shot times and lack of recoil. At 20-25yds I was double tapping 2 liter bottles about a 1/3 of the time after they kicked up from the first shot.

rem22long40x
October 28, 2011, 07:03 PM
Iam sorry for the spelling but after 2 brain tuomers, I have problems with spelling , math , and sometimes remibering my own name, I will get my son to instoll a spellcheck for me . again i'm sorry.

CollinLeon
October 28, 2011, 08:15 PM
Iam sorry for the spelling but after 2 brain tuomers, I have problems with spelling , math , and sometimes remibering my own name, I will get my son to instoll a spellcheck for me . again i'm sorry.
I usually just blame mine on having an "Alzheimer's Moment"... :)

One of the advantages of getting old...

Well, that plus waking up with a new woman in bed with you every morning...

Of course, the bad thing is that you don't remember what to do with her... :)

Seriously though... Try Firefox for a browser... You'll really like it if you include the free Adblocker add-on... No more pesky pop-up / pop-under ads...

NG VI
October 28, 2011, 09:30 PM
I love mine. Too bad Glock doesn't make one.

Model 20 or 29 with conversion barrel wouldn't work?

Stuck with 9x25 Dillon if that doesn't work for you. Damn.

Hunterdad
October 29, 2011, 08:23 PM
Sorry if I offended you, Rem22. We so often on here get people that don't have disabilities and do far worse than you did. Keep on typing brother! Good luck to you.

floydster
October 29, 2011, 08:30 PM
I love my Witness Elite Match in 38 Super, so does my Son in Law.

Walkalong
October 29, 2011, 09:02 PM
A Springfield & a Colt.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=151719&stc=1&d=1319932861

rem22long40x
October 29, 2011, 09:35 PM
I have been loading 147gr. Silver Tips with 47gr. Blue Dot and they are accurite and hit Hard . I shot a wild pig with 0ne and it droped her . the wound chanel was big for a .356 bulit and I think that the ST is one of the most over look SD round out there AND in 32 auto thay have more stoping power than a 380 with other factory loads . thanks for all the responces to my post . David

Walkalong
October 29, 2011, 11:03 PM
47 Grs of Blue Dot! :eek:

Typo? ;)

My "Hot" .38 Super load is uses Vihtavuori 3N37, and is for the Springfield only.

rem22long40x
October 29, 2011, 11:43 PM
sory 8.7gr . I don't no how I did that , I had bullit weight on the brain , or at least what I have left of it lol. thanks

Radagast
October 30, 2011, 03:36 AM
I have a Bui M5 in .38 Super, this is a polymer framed 1911. It has been 100% reliable in the 3000 or so rounds I have put through it and I have achieved my best auto-loader grouping with it, 1.5 inches for 5 shots at 25 meters with winchester silvertips.
I'm planning to offload it though. I don't shoot it very often, as I've gotten older I've become more of a fan of blued steel and walnut and factory ammo is twice the price of 9mm. Here in OZ I can buy 9mm for $21/50, .38 Super is $48.00 for fmj.
Given the above a 9mm Colt 1911 will see more range time than a plastic .38 Super Limited gun.

Radagast
October 30, 2011, 03:40 AM
rem22long40x:
If you have survived two brain tumours I'm not going to worry about having to decypher your posts, The fact that you are posting is good enough. My dad has had two strokes. I've seen up front the difficulty with speech and short term memory this can cause. Good luck, I hope your health improves.

Cowboybootnut
October 30, 2011, 11:57 AM
Hey rem22long40x,

Don't worry about your posting and spelling. Sometimes we like to "rag" on a post. Take care of yourself and I'm praying for you and better health. And I wish you happiness with a .38 Super, it is a great cartridge.

rem22long40x
October 31, 2011, 02:06 AM
spelling should not be a problem any more as my son installed a spell ck. for me . Now all I have to do is remember to use it lol. thanks guys . David

1SOW
October 31, 2011, 03:53 AM
Fan? Yes. Owner? No

I've had the opportunity to shoot a lot of competition pistols. The comp 38 super is the most amazing pistol I've shot. I just can't/won't bring myself to pay the pistol & reloading price to run it regularly.

tipoc
October 31, 2011, 03:53 AM
The Super is one of my favorite rounds.

A couple of resources for it...

http://www.38super.net/

http://www.ballistics101.com/38_super.php

tipoc

predator20
November 1, 2011, 01:08 AM
I'm a fan. Got a bright stainless Colt "Custom" Government Model and a Springfield Mil-Spec also. Had a RIA but traded it for more 38 Super ammo after getting the Springfield. I also have Colt 38 Super Commander project too, still collecting parts for it.

Frizzman
November 1, 2011, 06:12 PM
I had a Colt XSE LW Commander in .38 Super a few years ago. I had a lot of feeding problems with it and eventually traded it. A few months ago, I came across a Springfield Mil-Spec 5" .38 Super for trade. Since I had a whole bunch of .38 Super ammo from the Colt, I decided to trade for the Springfield to shoot up the ammo and then probably trade it off. Considering that it is a very basic 1911 with a short trigger and has had no tuning, the accuracy has been notable. It is easily controlled and is a pleasure to shoot. Unlike the Colt, it has been 100% reliable. I will be keeping it and add .38 Super dies to my reloading setup.

MidwestRookie
November 1, 2011, 06:16 PM
Never shot one, but I do want one for some odd reason. Ideally it'd be a Colt, but will probably end up with a polished chrome RIA in .38 super for S's and Giggles...no idea why, but for $400 why not?

38SuperMan
November 1, 2011, 06:30 PM
Did someone say 38super? I adore the caliber!

http://i41.tinypic.com/1670dns.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/51d6ix.jpg

MidwestRookie
November 1, 2011, 06:40 PM
Does the basepad on that 2nd one glow in the dark?

Please say yes.

38SuperMan
November 1, 2011, 06:46 PM
Ha ha, no it doesn't glow. That was an old pic. It wears red ones now. Waiting on getting it back from the smith, got the frame hard matt chromed. Can't wait to have it back.

Clifford
November 19, 2011, 09:36 PM
The most interesting man in the world once said "I don't always shoot pistols, but when I do, its a 1911 chambered in .38 Super."

If I could only own one caliber it would be the super. When I first got into the shooting games I picked up a Colt 1911 in Super, cause I wanted to shoot a single stack and I wanted to be able to shoot major or minor. Handloading, I can make pussycat 85 grain loads that shoot like .38 target rounds or I can bump it up to 160-180 grain thumper loads that'll hit like .357's....whats not to like :-)

ApacheCoTodd
November 19, 2011, 09:50 PM
Given my recent de-fatuation with NIB guns - I'm right on the cusp of shooting then rebuilding a bit, a 9X23 Colt 1911 that came with the .38 Super conversion kit. As soon as I stumble on good ammo in the box already - it's a shooter. I've always remembered a fella in Texas at some range I was at who was bustin' the hell outa plates and bowling pins with his Super and the shooting was so smooth. Then there seems to have been a guy who dominated the Bianchi cup back in the day with a Super - that was cool.

tipoc
November 20, 2011, 02:41 PM
The 38 Super still has a strong presence at the Bianchi Cup. As I recall in 2010 the American Rifleman mag listed the top 10 finalists from different divisions within the competition. Half were running guns chambered in 38 Super.

tipoc

ghitch75
November 20, 2011, 03:00 PM
1968 LWC.....
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb368/ghitch75/S3010138.jpg

1994 Government model...

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb368/ghitch75/S3010341.jpg

Peter M. Eick
December 2, 2011, 11:54 AM
http://eickpm.com/picts/ss_left.jpg
http://eickpm.com/picts/ss_rollmark.jpg
http://eickpm.com/picts/ss_rollmark_right.jpg

Nope there are none of us around...

pythonguy
December 6, 2011, 09:45 PM
Hey david,

I am so glad you can still enjoy your shooting hobby so screw the spelling, we can live with it. I live with medical problems too but that does not define me, I define me. Carry on my friend.

easyg
December 7, 2011, 12:42 PM
Every since the .357Sig hit the scene I don't really see the need for the .38 Super.

tipoc
December 7, 2011, 04:07 PM
Every since the .357Sig hit the scene I don't really see the need for the .38 Super.

OK, that's nice for you.

Seems easyg, you're looking to pick a fight. I don't see why. Is your point that there should be fewer good calibers and less choice for shooters? Are you upset that the 357 Sig was introduced in 1986 but that there are still fans of the 38Super (not to mention the 9mm and 40S&W) who appreciate a good caliber and the guns it comes in and have not switched to the 357 Sig and given up on others? Or do you just want to mildly insult folks for not being as bright and insightful as you are? Or do you want a show where folk protest that their favorite round is better than another fellas choice? Which is it or is it something else?

tipoc

SharpsDressedMan
December 7, 2011, 04:19 PM
The .38 Super will always be easier to handload than the .357 SIG. It has to do with neck and bullet tension on such a short neck. Plus, a smaller selection of bullets will work in the .357SIG.

mavracer
December 7, 2011, 05:15 PM
Different strokes. I already had a 38 super I never saw the need for a 357 sig.

56hawk
December 7, 2011, 05:22 PM
My three race guns are in 38 Super. If a company like HK, SIG or Beretta made a 38 Super it would probably be my carry gun as well. Love the caliber, but not a big fan of 1911's.

http://inlinethumb03.webshots.com/48706/2382848120089385702S600x600Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2382848120089385702soCYIx)

Magazine capacity comes to mind. Depending on the gun you could be looking at 14 rounds of 357 SIG versus 17 rounds of 38 Super. Also reloading is way easier not having to deal with a bottle necked case.

easyg
December 7, 2011, 05:44 PM
OK, that's nice for you.

Seems easyg, you're looking to pick a fight. I don't see why. Is your point that there should be fewer good calibers and less choice for shooters?
Certainly not.
More choices are better than less in most instances.

Are you upset that the 357 Sig was introduced in 1986 but that there are still fans of the 38Super (not to mention the 9mm and 40S&W) who appreciate a good caliber and the guns it comes in and have not switched to the 357 Sig and given up on others?
Nope. I'm not trying to convert anyone.
In fact, it doesn't bother me in the least what you or others like to shoot.

Or do you just want to mildly insult folks for not being as bright and insightful as you are?
If you felt insulted by my previous post then I think that you are too sensitive or perhaps you have been attacked for your love of the .38 Super in the past by someone else and still bear a grudge.

I don't think that I'm especially "bright and insightful", I'm just sharing my opinion.
You don't have to agree with me and there's no reason to get upset.
Remember, this is just an internet forum.

Or do you want a show where folk protest that their favorite round is better than another fellas choice? Which is it or is it something else?

tipoc
What do you want, a forum where everyone agrees on everything...a forum that is like "The Borg" where everyone thinks exactly alike?

Such a forum wouldn't be worth joining.

"Lighten up Francis".

Peter M. Eick
December 7, 2011, 05:57 PM
This thread and a few other thoughts has finally convinced me to replace my Baer 38 super I got talked out of a while back.

I am leaning toward a 38 Super Baer heavyweight monolith with tactical rounding and the 1.5" guarantee.

Basically I want to duplicate my 10mm HWML in 38 super so it would look just like this:

http://eickpm.com/picts/hwml_grip2.jpg

SharpsDressedMan
December 7, 2011, 08:25 PM
How do you get the safety to go up when the hammer is down? At least, that's what it looks like.......^^^^^

Peter M. Eick
December 8, 2011, 08:15 PM
Its not. Its just the angle of the camera to the gun. Great gun by the way. 10mm and the weight of the heavyweight monolith are a near perfect combination.

I think in 38 super it will be just about as much fun!

tipoc
December 11, 2011, 06:41 PM
From easyg June 21, 2010 speaking of the 38Super:

The good: It's a great round.

The bad: Not sure it's still relevant now that the .357Sig is here.

From easyg Feb. 11, 2010:

Since the advent of the .357Sig I really don't see the need for the .38 Super.
But to each his own.

Quick search to see if my memory was correct. Counting this thread that's at least 3 times easyg has made the same comment. If it was a question it would make no matter to me or anyone else. But it seems to be a comment aimed to provoke. Not that I mind but heck if your aim is to provoke something own up to it. If you believe the Super has no place in the world of guns due to the presence of another and newer round that does some of the same things, say that and start that conversation. as you have already done a coupla times in previous threads.

tipoc

easyg
December 11, 2011, 08:11 PM
Wow, you took the time to look up old posts by me to see if I talked about the .38 Super before?

It seems like this is a raw nerve with you.

I'll leave you to your .38 super love fest.

Happy shooting,
Easy

tipoc
December 11, 2011, 08:35 PM
No I recalled you speaking of it before and in the same manner, so I took a quick look to see if I was right. You did.

I understand that you like the .357 Sig, there is a good deal to like there. What I wanted to be sure of is a tendency to counterpose one to the other in threads which are about the Super. I checked to see that my memory was right, that in threads about the Super you have a record of popping up and saying the same thing that you said here. Each time it has a provocative edge to it seems to me.

I got no interest in a personal tit for tat with you and that was not the point of me bringing it up. If you or anyone really wants to have a discussion of the merits of the Super or look at it in comarason to other rounds, there are other ways to approach that.

tipoc

rem22long40x
December 12, 2011, 05:56 AM
The 357 Sig. has it's purpose (mostly to split brass case necks ) but the 38 super is by far a more vestal round . i can do anything with the 38 super that a 357 Sig. can do with the exception of spiting reloaded and most new cases. but I'm not knocking the round I'm sure its good for something!!

rem22long40x
December 12, 2011, 06:24 AM
easyg If you don't like the 38 super and have such a affection for the 357 Sig. start your own thread about it and leave us to ours . or are you afraid you will be on it by your self. I apologies to all the other readers but he has made his point and refuses to move on until all are converted to his mind set , enough is enough . life is to short and to preses to have to put up with this kind of harassment. this will be my last post for awhile I am having to go for another round of treatment on a new tumor in my brain , so gods speed and keep your powder dry. thanks David

cfullgraf
December 12, 2011, 07:12 PM
38 Super case is smaller in diameter than the 357 Sig. That means you can carry more ammunition in the same space.

f4t9r
December 12, 2011, 07:14 PM
love 38 super !!

Mike1957
December 12, 2011, 07:19 PM
The .38 Super is a great shooting round.

Here are 3 of them.
A frankenstein 1911 and 2 Colt Commanders

http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a413/Shep1957/guns/100_0945-1.jpg

http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a413/Shep1957/guns/100_0957-1.jpg

http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a413/Shep1957/guns/100_0951-1.jpg

Dr.Rob
December 12, 2011, 07:38 PM
I have never even heard of a Super Stallion.

I always thought one of those custom shop glossy stainless 38 supers would make a fine BBQ gun (as well as a nice shooter).

CollinLeon
December 13, 2011, 01:35 AM
38 Super case is smaller in diameter than the 357 Sig. That means you can carry more ammunition in the same space.
I tend to prefer straight wall cases myself since I find them easier to reload for. From a pure technical standpoint though, the .357SIG has slightly greater case capacity than the .38 super (i.e. 19.5 vs 17.6 gr H2O), so at least theoretically, it could be loaded for higher velocity, especially since the maximum pressure rating is higher on the .357SIG (i.e. 40,000 psi vs 36,500 psi). Even though it would seem that the .38 super would benefit more from the use of double stack mags, I have not encountered any with them. On the other hand, I have definitely encountered .357SIG chambered handguns with double stack mags.

I would like to see what one could do with respect to a wildcat round developed off a 5.56 or 7.62 NATO round, trimmed down to the shoulder so that it would be a straight wall case and then chambered for a handgun. The 7.62 NATO round should be able to handle a .417" diameter bullet and the 5.56 NATO round should be able to handle a .325" diameter bullet. With brass rated for over 60,000 psi, I have to think that there is some potential there...

With brings another question, I guess... If you are creating a wildcat load like that, can you have custom dies made by the various die manufacturers?

Not exactly pertinent to the discussion at hand... Just got to thinking and kind of went off on a tangent...

Radagast
December 13, 2011, 09:04 AM
Collin Leon:
The cut down 5.56mm has already been done. It's the 9x23 Winchester.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9%C3%9723mm_Winchester

Double stack .38 super guns abound, but are mainly seen only in IPSC/USPSA circles or those nations that ban military calibers for civilians. Examples include the STI 2011, SVI Infinity, Bul M5 and various Tanfoglio versions of the CZ75 design.

cfullgraf
December 13, 2011, 09:28 AM
With brings another question, I guess... If you are creating a wildcat load like that, can you have custom dies made by the various die manufacturers?

Custom dies for homemade wildcats used to be available from RCBS. i am sure they still offer the service but I have not looked in a number of years.

The other manufacturers may also off the service.

dom1104
December 13, 2011, 09:52 AM
the interest in .38 super for me died when I clocked 127 grain Ranger +P+ within 40 fps of the best 124 grain 38 super loads....

All it would take is a new barrel and springs, but I am not going to switch a barrel out for a 40 fps increase...

ATLDave
December 13, 2011, 10:33 AM
Even though it would seem that the .38 super would benefit more from the use of double stack mags, I have not encountered any with them. On the other hand, I have definitely encountered .357SIG chambered handguns with double stack mags.

Go to an IPSC/USPSA match. You'll see plenty. Lots of 1911 double-stack race guns are in .38 super, precisely because of the mag capacity and the ability to make major in open. Some Tanfoglios and other brands, too. 20+ round mags can be had.

CollinLeon
December 13, 2011, 12:32 PM
Collin Leon:
The cut down 5.56mm has already been done. It's the 9x23 Winchester.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9%C3%9723mm_Winchester

Double stack .38 super guns abound, but are mainly seen only in IPSC/USPSA circles or those nations that ban military calibers for civilians. Examples include the STI 2011, SVI Infinity, Bul M5 and various Tanfoglio versions of the CZ75 design.
Looking at the specs on the wiki page for it, it appears that the 9x23 is slightly larger in diameter than the 5.56x45 brass... Doing a bit more searching about the 9x23, I came up with a couple of articles about the "Super Cooper" being a predecessor to the 9x23, but being made with cut down 5.56x45 brass. It looks like you could create about a 37mm long case from a 5.56x45 if you trimmed it off at the shoulder, so you would be talking about perhaps a 9x37 round. Maybe a bit less than 9mm for the bullet though, but given the "creativeness" that some of the bullet designers have used with their names, it would not be totally out of character to this basically .33 caliber bullet a "9mm"... The .44 special / mag is really a .43 caliber... The .38 special is really a .36 caliber... The .38LC was also a .36 caliber, but greater in diameter than the .38 special/mag... On the other hand, the 7.5mm Nagant was actually 8.3mm, so it went the other way in the naming...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_handgun_cartridges

Found one error on that page though... The bullet diameter on the .357SIG listing is not right... It's saying .357 when it should be .355...

Martyrl
December 13, 2011, 11:37 PM
I was wondering. If I were to purchase a 38 Super barrel and slide will this work in my Colt Gold Cup series 80.

mavracer
December 14, 2011, 09:07 AM
I was wondering. If I were to purchase a 38 Super barrel and slide will this work in my Colt Gold Cup series 80.
Yes, but you would need to change out the ejector also.

SharpsDressedMan
December 14, 2011, 05:17 PM
You need a "cartridge specific" slide for the .38 Super or 9mm, although they are LIKELY to work in a 10mm 1911 with just a barrel and magazine. In a .45, the breech is too wide, and the extractor not likely to EVER engage the .38 Super well. As mentioned, the EJECTOR is also wider for a .38 Super or 9mm, and the channel in the bottom of the slide needs to be wider to accomodate that ejector. A .45 Slide and barrel assembly CAN be fitted to a 9mm or Super 1911, with that channel cut in the slide.

SharpsDressedMan
December 14, 2011, 05:21 PM
Sorry, Mavracer answered your question better than I did. I misread it. My info involves converting the opposite way.:o

ruger1228
January 6, 2012, 10:08 AM
Question about reloading for the 38 Super. Can you use regular 38/357 bullets sized at .358 in the 38 Super or do the bullets need to be sized to .356? Thanks for the help.

SharpsDressedMan
January 6, 2012, 06:14 PM
A lot of reloading books show loadings for the .357" bullets. Find and use those books. I would watch pressure signs, use listed data, chronograph if possible, and maybe even lower starting loads by 10%, as higher pressures SHOULD result, but maybe the books have already allowed for that.

rem22long40x
January 7, 2012, 06:20 PM
quote (Question about reloading for the 38 Super. Can you use regular 38/357 bullets sized at .358 in the 38 Super or do the bullets need to be sized to .356? Thanks for the help.) No , and depending on the make up of the bullet , I use 147. Gr. Silver tips in.357 a lot but most of 38/357mag. bullets are .358 and will not work ,but the ones that are .357will . 38 super is .356 but you can load .355 _ .357 , I will load alloy bullets that are .357 but not copper or jacketed bullets. just MHO. Ps I'm back home now but still not 100%

mavracer
January 7, 2012, 07:46 PM
Can you use regular 38/357 bullets sized at .358 in the 38 Super or do the bullets need to be sized to .356? Thanks for the help.
It depends on how tight your chamber is. A match chamber may be too tight to function reliably and you would need to lower starting charges and work up carefully watching for pressure as the larger bullet will cause higher pressure.

Walkalong
January 7, 2012, 07:56 PM
Shot one of my .38 Supers (A Colt) (http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=117110&stc=1&d=1267912320) today. Lots of fun.

Depending on your barrel, you may very well be able to shoot .357/8 bullets. I have done it in 9MM.

Onmilo
January 7, 2012, 08:48 PM
I like to shoot a .38 Super Mild in the form of my Astra 400 9mm Largo
http://www.fototime.com/B5ADC026CDB2B13/standard.jpg
124 factory ammo chronos at 1215 fps and my .38 acp handloads go out @ 1150 fps for 124 grain fmj and 1075 fps for 130 fmj.

I tried some hard cast 125 lead round nose .356" sized bullets but wasn't thrilled with the smoke and fouling.
The accuracy was decent but not as good as what I get with the jacketed bullets.

38SuperMan
January 8, 2012, 01:16 PM
This is the same 38Super from my earlier post in this thread. Just got her back from the chromer. And no, none of it glows in the dark!

http://i39.tinypic.com/66hi05.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/augnf7.jpg

rem22long40x
January 9, 2012, 01:12 AM
Some good info http://www.38super.net/ thanks David

Peter M. Eick
January 11, 2012, 09:42 PM
http://eickpm.com/picts/ss_rollmark.jpg
http://eickpm.com/picts/ss_rollmark_right.jpg
http://eickpm.com/picts/ss-right.jpg
http://eickpm.com/picts/ss_slide.jpg
http://eickpm.com/picts/ss_left.jpg
http://eickpm.com/picts/ss_barrel_front.jpg
http://eickpm.com/picts/ss_barrel.jpg
http://eickpm.com/picts/ss_barrel_2.jpg

Here is my Colt Super Stallion 38 super. The barrel stinks but the rest of the gun is ok for a series 80.

I just ordered a Les Baer PII 38 super 1.5" guarantee gun today. I should have it next week sometime so that will get me to 4 38 supers.

2zulu1
January 12, 2012, 12:50 AM
Wanted to post some pics, but it seems like I'm still on the Droid learning curve.

Anyway, for those who handload, don't need to worry about the 357SIG MVs, the Super can handle it fine. :)

2zulu1
January 12, 2012, 01:02 AM
Deleted

If you enjoyed reading about "Are there any 38 super fan out around ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!