Wolf primers for 5.56?

PDA

Wildbillz
October 28, 2011, 02:06 PM
I was ordering primers a year or so back and got some Wolf small rifle primers that were supose to be specific for 5.56mm cartridges. So what did I realy get? Are they Magnum spc primres or a harder case on them or what? I have not used any yet.

Thanks
WB

If you enjoyed reading about "Wolf primers for 5.56?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
greyling22
October 28, 2011, 02:11 PM
google returned this thread from a year ago.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=538445

rcmodel
October 28, 2011, 02:15 PM
One would assume they are slightly less sensitive to slam-fires then thier other primers.
Like CCI's #41 & #34 military primers.
http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/primers/primers.aspx?id=30

It would appear they are neither standard or magnum as Wolf makes all three types.
Wolf primer sizes:
NCSR - Small Rifle = Standard
NC223 - Small Rifle = .223 Rem
NCSRM - Small Rifle = Magnum

rc

kingmt
October 28, 2011, 04:35 PM
Or all 3 are the same just packaged different for different markets. Just saying. If so it worked on me because I spent the extra $2.50 per 1K or what ever it was for the .223 but I've yet to load 1 to see if there is a differance.

I was once told by a lure maker that was braging on his art when I ask if it would catch fish. He said "It doesn't have to catch fish just the fishermans eye".

NCsmitty
October 28, 2011, 05:01 PM
This is from Widener's site.

Wolf small rifle primers are now available in types.

SMALL RIFLE PRIMER (part # QQQSR) - Used as a standard small rifle primer. Perfect for the 30 carbine and 223 standard loads. Many people use this primer in bench and other loads for the 223. This primer is a copper colored primer.

SMALL RIFLE MAGNUM PRIMER (part# QQQSRM) - This is the primer we had before for use in the 5.56 loads and hot 223 loads. A thick cup for the higher pressure. We sold a lot of these primers earlier this year. The new lot is brass colored instead of nickel.

SMALL RIFLE 223 (part # QQQSR223) NEW NEW This is the newest primer available in the Wolf line. It is ever so slightly hotter than the small rifle magnum primer and it comes with a brass colored thick cup. This primer can be used in place of the SRM primer or used when a different powder is used that is hard to ignite.

The WOLF Standard Small Rifle Primers have an all COPPER CUP, which is a little more sensitive than the brass cup magnum primers. If you are loading for an AR15 or Military Style semi auto rifle, or are loading high pressure cartridges in any other type of rifle ,we recommend you use the Magnum Small rifle primers. Both primers use the same amount of compound. The only difference is in the cup hardness.

NCsmitty

Wildbillz
October 29, 2011, 02:17 PM
So it sounds like its a bit of both. Thicker cup and a bit hotter then then normal.

Anyone used any of them?

WB

If you enjoyed reading about "Wolf primers for 5.56?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!