Big Brass Score at the Range Today

PDA

BigN
October 29, 2011, 12:53 PM
Does anyone else get excited about stuff like this? When I got there and got set up, I got a box of 270 and a box of 308 from the brass buckets. Some guys came and left in an hour or so and put all their brass in the buckets when they left. Of course I scored again! A box of 300 WSM and more 270's, 308's and a handful of 7mm Mags! I go to the range at least 3 times per week year round but this just makes it even more fun. I do put more in the brass bucket than I've ever taken though, so someone is scoring on me also.

If you enjoyed reading about "Big Brass Score at the Range Today" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rugerman
October 29, 2011, 01:40 PM
I used to trade used brass for reloading stuff at gun shows and I really went to the range several times a week just to pick up brass and shoot a little. The best time was starting a week or 2 before the start of deer gun season, I used to leave with a 5 gal bucket or 2 full of once fired factory brass with boxes if I wanted, haven't had to buy any brass in a long time.

mbopp
October 29, 2011, 01:50 PM
I was at the range and 2 guys blew off 5 boxes of WWB 45 ACP. They swept it up and were headed to the garbage can when I said "s'cuze me, if you're gonna dump it I'll take it."

rondog
October 29, 2011, 02:15 PM
Oh yeah, I LOVE brass scores! Even if I don't use that caliber, I can sell or trade it. And it doesn't have to be brass to make my day, I arrived at my club range one day and found this little pile some kind soul had left for me! Such a nice feller.....

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/guns/ammo%20and%20reloading/DSCN3277.jpg

mgmorden
October 29, 2011, 02:31 PM
Yep - I visit the local range all the time scrounging for brass. I've gotten countless 9mm cases from there. Even though I don't load them I've got a lot of .40S&W and .45ACP saved up too. I figure if I ever do start loading those I might as well have the brass ready to go :).

Paul24
October 29, 2011, 09:24 PM
Yep this is the time of year for rifle brass.

CHALK22
October 29, 2011, 09:40 PM
Yeah, I do the same thing also. I make at least one trip/week if I can. The last 3 times I have even scored 100+ .223s, which is rare for around here.

Doc Savage
October 29, 2011, 09:54 PM
I always get excited about finding brass I can use at the range. This year it has gotten hard just keeping my own brass. I guess it''s the economy, but there are whole families out sweeping up everything toward the end of the day. I've had to ask to have my brass left most times as they would start cleaning up even in your area while you were shooting.

orionengnr
October 29, 2011, 10:38 PM
Once in a while I find 25-50 .45LC. Makes my day.

A month or so back I found about 180 10mm brass. That was the first time I had found any 10mm brass. Made my month...especially considering my 10mm throws my brass into Low Earth orbit, resulting in a 20-30%+ loss rate.

I hand load for each of them, so it's like finding gold nuggets. :)

beatledog7
October 29, 2011, 11:15 PM
At the pistol range I gather my brass, and if I can't find all I shot then I just make up the difference from the bucket. I'm shooting mixed headstamps anyway, and the brass I'm getting from the bucket is newer than the brass I'm shooting. I never take more than I shot because the range sells it later and that helps keep membership prices reasonable. Well maybe a few more. Once or twice.

FROGO207
October 30, 2011, 12:08 AM
My shooting friends say I must be part crow. I will see a shine and pounce on it. I swear I can smell used brass a half a mile away.:D I average a 2 gallon bucket full most days if I have the time to look. No one else bothers to save it and that's a darn shame. Well I can't just let it sit there and corrode can I??:evil::D

Strykervet
October 30, 2011, 12:31 AM
My range has a one way in brass depository. Then they actually go through it and weed out the bad stuff, sort it by headstamp, and then sell it for a pretty good deal. The money goes to fund junior shooting programs.

Today, this guy's AR was ejecting next to me, I picked it up to return it and noticed the loads he was firing were loaded using new LC brass. He didn't want it and I got a bunch of that.

Still waiting on the score of Grendel brass. It is out there somewhere, somebody shoots one and doesn't reload somewhere, I have to go shooting with that guy!

1SOW
October 30, 2011, 12:32 AM
I reload and shoot a lot of 9mm luger.
I prefer WIN cases. At a recent trip to the range , a guy near me shot over 100 out of the value pack boxes. He said he didn't want the cases, so I got those. Another guy walks up and said he overheard my question, and that he just shot 100 wins two tables down that I was welcome to pick up.
I picked up 500 9mm casesthat day and about 350 were WIN cases, most once fired!

I had a big smile all the way home.

JDGray
October 30, 2011, 08:27 AM
Oh yeah, I LOVE brass scores! Even if I don't use that caliber, I can sell or trade it. And it doesn't have to be brass to make my day, I arrived at my club range one day and found this little pile some kind soul had left for me! Such a nice feller.....

Nice find! Someone didn't want their magazines!!:D

shooter_from_show-me
October 30, 2011, 09:24 AM
I always get excited about finding brass I can use at the range. This year it has gotten hard just keeping my own brass. I guess it''s the economy, but there are whole families out sweeping up everything toward the end of the day. I've had to ask to have my brass left most times as they would start cleaning up even in your area while you were shooting.
That right there sir would make me:fire:. I have a AR15 in 6.8SPC and it's hard enough finding once fired brass before someone else snatches it up before you get a chance to buy it.

amlevin
October 30, 2011, 12:55 PM
Best day to shoot is Monday. Early in the morning, before the "clean up" crew arrives. All the Sunday Matches, Public shooters, and just regular discarded brass is all sitting there to be scavenged. In fairness I arrive with a bag of old worn out brass to discard so the Club doesn't loose the revenue.

I won't have to buy any brass for my firearms for the rest of my life.

JDGray
October 30, 2011, 08:04 PM
You guys are no fun:(

A guy calls clips, magazines, and no one gives me the speech?!?:D

SWAT1911
October 30, 2011, 08:12 PM
We can't pick up brass at my range besides "what you brought" :(

Clark
October 31, 2011, 11:32 AM
In 2010 some guy was leaving the country, so he took 300 pieces of 270 brass to the range to recycle it.

I pulled it out of the recycling bin.

It was all once fired and dirty.

It kept my two vibrators running for a while.

average_shooter
October 31, 2011, 11:47 AM
:eek:It kept my two vibrators running for a while.

I hope you meant, "tumblers." :uhoh:

jeepmor
November 3, 2011, 01:21 AM
Does anyone else get excited about stuff like this?

I used to spend more time scrounging than shooting, so yes. I'd pick up brass until my back started to hurt.

Big Nugget
November 3, 2011, 04:57 PM
Sometimes I feel like I must look like a chicken hunting and pecking out in the yard...

Every now and then I can haul in a nice amount, but lately I've been just missing out. Either someone has cleand up already or as I'm packing it in to leave new shooters have just arrived and leaving it all lay for the next... yard bird. :)

amlevin
November 4, 2011, 12:13 PM
A week ago I ran into an interesting situation. One shooter discarded a couple hundred oieces of .223/5.56mm brass. It was all once fired as it still had the military crimped primers. Evidently he didn't like the idea of anyone getting some good brass for reloading because he "squashed" every piece with a pair of pliers right in the shoulder area so there was no chance one could re-use it.

It was good LC Brass to boot:banghead::banghead:

dickttx
November 4, 2011, 07:25 PM
I scrounge all I can at the range, but a lot of other people do also. I still end up with about 100 9mm and 50 45ACP per week. I have never had to buy 9mm, and I don't believe I ever will.

rondog
November 4, 2011, 08:36 PM
Hey, if you went someplace and saw dozens or hundreds of nickles and dimes laying on the ground, wouldn't you pick them up? Brass is the same thing to me. If you buy used brass you're gonna pay 5-10 cents apiece for them, maybe more, depending on what they are. Even if I don't reload that caliber, somebody does. I'll happily trade with someone, but I've also been known to give away LOTS of brass to guys looking for something that I just happen to have a few dozen of. It's good karma.

ljnowell
November 4, 2011, 08:45 PM
I hope you meant, "tumblers."

I'm guessing he has both vibratory cleaners and tumblers, so he specifies.

Big Nugget
November 4, 2011, 09:59 PM
Hey, if you went someplace and saw dozens or hundreds of nickles and dimes laying on the ground, wouldn't you pick them up? Brass is the same thing to me. If you buy used brass you're gonna pay 5-10 cents apiece for them, maybe more, depending on what they are. Even if I don't reload that caliber, somebody does. I'll happily trade with someone, but I've also been known to give away LOTS of brass to guys looking for something that I just happen to have a few dozen of. It's good karma.

Absolutely!!!
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b173/goodie_/herestoya.gif

RustyFN
November 4, 2011, 10:06 PM
Does anyone else get excited about stuff like this?

Just a little. :D The first thing I do when I get to the range is look for brass.

rondog
November 5, 2011, 02:03 AM
I know of one public range where the brass pickin' is always very productive, but it's at close to 10,000 feet in altitude, so it's a struggle for this fat old man. I'll still do it though, never claimed to be very bright. I'll probably drop dead someday while picking up $5 worth of brass.

J_McLeod
November 14, 2011, 08:36 PM
I went out to a shooting area near my house tonight, thinking I'd never find any good brass there because it tends to get picked up as it's shot. Right near the entrance I found about 50 each of 45 and 357 and a few 223 and 270. My son helped me pick it up between shooting sessions. Made a good day shooting even better.

TexasShooter59
November 14, 2011, 08:43 PM
I know of one public range where the brass pickin' is always very productive, but it's at close to 10,000 feet in altitude, so it's a struggle for this fat old man. I'll still do it though, never claimed to be very bright. I'll probably drop dead someday while picking up $5 worth of brass.
Here's your answer...

http://www.nutwizard.com/
http://www.brassmower.com/

THE answer for fat guys, old guys, tired guys, etc. that like to pick up brass! (Just in case I offended anyone, I fit all the above categories, so there!) We have some of these where I shoot and they work great.

Bush Pilot
November 14, 2011, 10:56 PM
Last week I found 250 once fired .44 mag brass and 100 .45 ACP brass in the same brass bucket. I kept looking around for a hidden camera, I never have found more than 1 or 2 .44 cases at one time before.

rondog
November 14, 2011, 11:18 PM
Here's your answer...

http://www.nutwizard.com/
http://www.brassmower.com/

THE answer for fat guys, old guys, tired guys, etc. that like to pick up brass! (Just in case I offended anyone, I fit all the above categories, so there!) We have some of these where I shoot and they work great.

Thanks! I do agree with those, but after rearranging my brass stash this weekend, I've realized that I may have "issues". I really don't think I need to drag home any more brass. I probably don't even need to pick up the ones that I shoot, but I still will. I doubt I'll ever get all the brass I have loaded up even once, and wearing any out just ain't gonna happen.

If the cops ever raided my house for some reason, I'd damn sure make the evening news. "Local gun nut arrested with "arsenal" of weapons and tens of thousands rounds of ammuntion. Was surely bent on destruction of modern civilization. Film at 11."

Jeeze, I'm just a fat old man that likes shiny things that go bang.....

Speaking of brass, I need to go empty the tumbler and refill it!

evan price
November 15, 2011, 06:39 AM
I spend almost as much time picking up brass and lead as I do shooting. Early mornings are perfect for this, I have the club range to myself and haul away the garbage in exchange for scavenging rights.

dickttx
November 15, 2011, 10:01 AM
A little better than a normal Monday yesterday.

43 - .40 S&W
41 - .38 Special
42 - .45 ACP
188 - 9mm

When I sort I toss all 9mm Win, F-C, and R-P into one can, and the rest into another. Occasionally raid the Win, etc can clean them and put them into line. If I ever run short I will use the mixed cans.
Same with .45. I keep Win and R-P separate and put into rotation.

evan price
November 16, 2011, 04:32 AM
What I picked up last week included almost a hundred 1X fired 22 Hornets...I was actually just over on Gunbroker looking for a rifle that will fit them. It's a sickness, I tell ya!

bigedp51
November 16, 2011, 07:34 AM
I love going to the range after our Swat Teams get done practicing, the last time I went home with three five gallon buckets of once fired .223 cartridge cases plus all the drops of live ammo.

Below, just sorting through the Remington cases, washing, tumbling, uniforming and sizing. It was one of those happy warm feeling days that even bleeding, numb fingers wouldn't stop the humungous brass afterglow. :D

P.S. Not in the photo are two more buckets with Military Federal and Lake City Brass that need the military crimp removed from the primer pockets.

P.P.S Eat your hearts out...............:neener:

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/IMGP5184.jpg

mstreddy
November 16, 2011, 10:35 AM
Last week, at the indoor range/LGS I frequent, a young lady rented a .44 Mag and shot a box of Federal, being very considerate and putting the empties back in the box. I asked her for them and brought them home. Do I even own a 44? Of course not, but it will be good trading fodder. I just couldn't see that whole box going into the brass bin. I also got a box of 38 spcl from her sister. Not bad for not even having to scoop them off the floor.

If only I had grabbed the 40 Pcs of .50 AE that the one guy shot last month. Didn't even think of it that day. :banghead:

Cop Bob
November 16, 2011, 12:59 PM
A table load of enbloc clips for Garand... dang, that's a good find.....there had to be a matching number of 06 brass X 8 on the ground to match... probably Greek Mfg, but WHO CARES ???? I remember when you could by them all day long for a dime... not anymore !!!!

When I was a kid, the National Guard unit used our gun clubs range to qualify, they would leave behind all the brass, and metal ammo boxes, often time full and partial cans... Twice I ran out there when they posted that the range would be closed for outside quals. and waited for them to leave... sometime you could score pretty good... ahh the good old day's when the Guvmint only wasted millions and left it were the average guy could benefit...

kennedy
November 16, 2011, 09:41 PM
took my daughter out to the range to sight in her 20 ga deer gun and a lot of shooters around, started to check out the brass buckets and low and behold a whole bunch of once fired 9mm and .45auto, don`t reload for either yet, but who knows in the future. This is the first brass in a long time I have found at our private club range.

FROGO207
November 16, 2011, 09:44 PM
Well last Monday night was meeting night at the range. The meeting ended early so on the way out the drive I stop at the pistol range and look in the trash can. Recently emptied but the bottom of the can was all brass colored. I could not reach in that far.:cuss: I think a bit, flip the can on it's side and crawl in using the headlights of the jeep and fill my brass sack. Couple of the others drive by and honk at me. The GF said I looked like a fat raccoon trying to find dinner.:D
300 45ACP
33 308
200+ 9MM
75 32 ACP
150 40 S&W
30 44 MAG
:D

animator
November 16, 2011, 09:47 PM
I've only ever bought one box of 9mm. Ever. And I've never bought 9mm brass.

Most recent score was around 500 pieces of 223 brass. It was left by 4 guys shooting ARs next to me, and none of them wanted the brass. I could have kept the boxes too, but didn't feel like digging them out of the trash. Didn't need them anyway...

And I have several boxes of 38spl and maybe a box or two of 357, and I don't own or reload those calibers, but they make for good trades..

J_McLeod
December 25, 2011, 09:49 PM
Got one of my best scores at the range today. 72 pieces of 6.8 SPC and 104 .45 ACP. I don't even own either, maybe I should.

the_hustleman
December 25, 2011, 10:45 PM
I'm about to be a new reloader but I'm a cheap skate by nature, so before I even priced reloading presses, I was picking up brass until my range bag was full!

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*

Metal Tiger
December 26, 2011, 12:48 AM
I was at the indoor range a couple of weeks ago and a fellow and his wife were shooting next to me. They pulled out over 500 rounds of new Winchester nickel-plated .45 ACP rounds with the intent of firing them all off. I politely asked if they intended to collect their brass. They said no.

The wife says to me, I hate it when people just grab your brass without asking so thank you and you are welcome all of it.

There is just something about once fired Winchester Nickel-plated brass that makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.:)

Flash!
December 26, 2011, 06:27 PM
I only get excited when I find a lot of brass for the calibers I shoot a lot...... today was one of those days! I shoot at a private range where most shooters reload and pick up all their brass..... but today I got lucky, as someone must have been there shooting new toys they got for Christmas.... I got several boxes of .223, .308, and .45 ACP...... and it obviously is just once fired, as the empty ammo boxes were in the trash can.....

leadchucker
December 26, 2011, 07:11 PM
I've been run out of the local Forest Service ranges at night after being caught scrounging lead and brass. :evil: Reloadable brass is as good as money.

J_McLeod
December 26, 2011, 08:37 PM
Got an even better score today. Came back with a Costco laundry soap bucket 2 inches deep in reloadable brass. Mostly .223, 38, 30-30, and 45 with some 9, 40, 25, 380 and 45 Colt mixed in. I only reload half of those.

December 27, 2011, 09:59 AM
There is a range out in the sticks where people can shoot 80 yards or so. I pull up one day, ready to shoot some .22, and what do I find?? The range is full of people. So, I wait in the A/C and about 20 minutes later, everyone leaves (4-5 people). I pull up...and I see gold. I forgot about shooting alltogether. There is a sea of gold colored metal laying on the ground. It took me almost an hour to pick it all up. I double bagged a grocery sack I had in the trunk, and I still ripped one handle. I never counted it up, but I completely filled a plastic bag from Wally World. I had an old shoebox in the truck. It was filled as well. I figure about 1000 pieces of .223, 200 pieces of .45 auto, 120 pieces of .308, 400 pieces of 9mm, and some .380, .44 mag, .22lr. I finished, my hands were very dirty, and I was thirsty. I drove to the local gas station to get some water and decided I had enough fun for the day. I went home and sorted brass for a few hours. Good stuff.

J_McLeod
December 27, 2011, 11:21 AM
There is a range out in the sticks where people can shoot 80 yards or so. I pull up one day, ready to shoot some .22, and what do I find?? The range is full of people. So, I wait in the A/C and about 20 minutes later, everyone leaves (4-5 people). I pull up...and I see gold. I forgot about shooting alltogether. There is a sea of gold colored metal laying on the ground. It took me almost an hour to pick it all up. I double bagged a grocery sack I had in the trunk, and I still ripped one handle. I never counted it up, but I completely filled a plastic bag from Wally World. I had an old shoebox in the truck. It was filled as well. I figure about 1000 pieces of .223, 200 pieces of .45 auto, 120 pieces of .308, 400 pieces of 9mm, and some .380, .44 mag, .22lr. I finished, my hands were very dirty, and I was thirsty. I drove to the local gas station to get some water and decided I had enough fun for the day. I went home and sorted brass for a few hours. Good stuff.
Where was this? I might have to go visit sometime.

I sorted and counted it all while watching a movie and drinking beer last night.

30-30 - 74, including 4 duds with bullets
45 - 188
45 LC - 9
38 Super - 1
.380 - 29
40 - 172
9mm - 160
223 - 214
38 - 100 Federal the boxes
308 - 3
300 win mag - 4

roachcore
December 27, 2011, 11:30 AM
The range i go yo will kick you out if you pick up any brass that wasn't fired out of your own gun. You guys are really lucky

beatledog7
December 27, 2011, 11:47 AM
The range i go yo will kick you out if you pick up any brass that wasn't fired out of your own gun.

How do they police that? If three or four guys are shooting mixed brass in the same caliber or the same headstamp factory stuff in adjacent lanes, and brass is everywhere, how does one differentiate? If shooter A offers his brass to shooter B, do they both get expelled?

Rollis R. Karvellis
December 27, 2011, 11:56 AM
This is a better way to die, then watching tv.

roachcore
December 27, 2011, 12:04 PM
I dont know but he busted me on it a couple of weeks ago. I didnt even know the brass wasnt mine, it was the same headstamp and directly behind my lane

J_McLeod
December 27, 2011, 12:15 PM
I wouldn't go to range a range like that. Sounds like they're more concerned with making money than happy shooters.

beatledog7
December 27, 2011, 12:37 PM
I didnt even know the brass wasnt mine, it was the same headstamp and directly behind my lane

That's exactly my point. If you didn't know it wasn't yours, how the blank could the range officer know? How did he propose to prove it wasn't yours?

At my range shooters make their own call. If I see the guy next to me about to dump his 9mm in the bucket, I ask him if he'd let me have it. Not one shooter has ever said no.

Otherwise, if I know I shot 60 mixed .40S&W rounds, I pick up 60 .40S&W brass. With so many people bucketing their .40 brass, why should I leave with fewer than 60?

roachcore
December 27, 2011, 02:01 PM
Normally the R.O. is a pretty good guy he has even brought his own guns and ammo for me to shoot maybe he was just having a bad day

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

ErikO
December 27, 2011, 02:06 PM
The real sweet spot at the range I shoot at is Wednesday evenings before the defensive pistol league begins. Once I get into that league I'll always be the guy that volunteers to cleanup the range. ;)

I'll need a few buckets...

.223, .40, .45, 9mm, .380...

Oh yeah, need to get that 1911A1 on order so I can participate. :D

the_hustleman
December 28, 2011, 12:00 AM
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l43/hustleman_photography/IMAG0570.jpg

This was from my trip earlier today.

I can't wait for my press!

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*

Ignition Override
December 28, 2011, 03:19 AM
Once, and maybe again, but will never again force the ram upwards with any solid force.

Do older military NATO 7.62 cases (which held Berdan primers) always have two holes, with the middle piece which can break the depriming pin?
If so, that seems to explain why nobody else had picked them up.

The only sounds as good as Mozart or David Gilmore:D (Pink Floyd) are the bolt 'clunks' in my Enfields, FR8s or M-1.

evan price
December 28, 2011, 03:57 AM
@ Igntion, maybe the "ping" of a Garand ejecting a spent enbloc clip...

Yes, Berdan primed brass has the two offset holes and the center is the anvil that ignites the primer when the primer squeezes down onto it. In Boxer brass the anvil comes out with the primer.

DEP589
December 28, 2011, 09:51 PM
First Post on THR. Went to the range tonight and qualified during a night shoot for the department. Collected about 300 .45 brass, 100 .40, 50 .357, and 50 30-30. I only reloading .40 right now(need to start .45). I love picking up that gold. Probably looked funny looking at the ground with a flashlight for 30 minutes though.

J_McLeod
December 28, 2011, 10:08 PM
Welcome to THR!

Went to the same place for the third time this week. When I got there there was a party of 4-5 shooting and I moved in as soon as they left. Got several hundred including 9mm, 40, 45, nickel 357 and 9, 223 and 6.8. Then after the sun had gone done I ran across another group that told me they'd been shooting brass cased 7.62x54r. I hadn't even brought a flashlight and spent the next 20 minutes poking around in the dark with my phone. Got at least 10.

leadchucker
December 28, 2011, 10:12 PM
Ain't it funny how you sometimes go to the range to shoot, and if the opportunity presents itself, you wind up scrounging brass instead of shooting?

J_McLeod
December 28, 2011, 10:25 PM
Three range trips this week and I've definitely spent more time scrounging that shooting, with good results.

December 29, 2011, 04:17 AM
Without hijacking the OP's post, is it ok to take brass from the range left in buckets? I say it's ok if they don't stop me. I figure it is trash, the contents of a bucket aren't their property or anything. Besides, they should post it if they don't want people poaching free brass. I mean, if you look in the trash cans, sheeple are puting 50 to 100 boxes of ammo into the trash every few days. What do you all say?

capreppy
December 29, 2011, 09:03 AM
Without hijacking the OP's post, is it ok to take brass from the range left in buckets? I say it's ok if they don't stop me. I figure it is trash, the contents of a bucket aren't their property or anything. Besides, they should post it if they don't want people poaching free brass. I mean, if you look in the trash cans, sheeple are puting 50 to 100 boxes of ammo into the trash every few days. What do you all say?
My biggest scores have been dumpster diving, but I "asked" permission from the RO in advance of doing it. I once got 100 pieces of Win H/S .308 Win by sticking my head in a dumpster. It is usually really good the first couple weeks of Oct when everyone goes to the range and sights in their rifles.

At the private range I normally shoot at, there is almost never any brass left. Occassionally, someone might shoot pistol and leave there brass, but 8 out of 10 times it is because it is steel cased.

leadchucker
December 29, 2011, 03:31 PM

I guess it depends on the range you're at, and who is running it. If there are no signs or range police telling you to leave the brass alone, I would consider any brass laying around to be fair game. My local ranges all have signs telling you to sweep up your brass. Brooms and pans there for the purpose. Plenty of people just sweep the brass up and toss it in the trash can... which I immediately dive into. Many shooters appreciate my offers to sweep up their brass, saving them the trouble.

J_McLeod
December 29, 2011, 04:24 PM
I've had good luck at The Marksman on 22nd. I haven't been there a while but they've always left me alone while picking up brass. It's hit and miss at SERP on Houghton. Sometimes I'll get some good stuff and sometimes the RO is in a bad mood and yells at people that try to take brass. Sometimes I'll put all my brass in one of the buckets, and protect that bucket and pour it all in my bag when I leave. The RO didn't have a problem with that and left the bucket alone when he was emptying them but I told him I was keeping one. Got a bunch of stuff that was already in it too.

lightman
December 29, 2011, 05:17 PM
I guess most reloaders are scroungers,I know I am.I believe I found less this year than ever before.Maybe the economy,who knows.I sold alot of my surplus three years ago,during the shortages.Still have a lifetime supply. Lightman

ARMike
December 30, 2011, 12:54 PM
I have become somewhat of a dumpster diver myself lately. I can appreciate that some people are wanting to keep our shooting areas clean and picked up. But what aggrivates me the most is to go out to the range and the place is littered with old paper targets, cardboard boxes, fast food bags and milk jugs... and wouldnt you know it... brass in the trash. On top of that there is a brass bin not two steps from the trash barrel.

December 31, 2011, 02:00 AM
I like to shoot in the desert at times. If it is cool enough it can be great fun. The biggest problem is when people leave their shotgun hulls, refrigerators, tvs, empty steel cases, plastic jugs, soup cans, etc. for all the world to see. It gives outdoors people a bad rap. How hard is it to throw down an old blanket or $5 tarp from harbor freight to collect brass/hulls? I am lucky to have had scouting in my early years.

rondog
December 31, 2011, 02:26 AM
In Keystone, CO, there's a pretty nice free public range by the dump. It's a great place to pick up brass, but the altitude is brutal on a fat old man like me. I've still managed to pick up a lot of good brass there, and the city keeps a big roll-off dumpster right there on-site for people to toss their trash in. But the lazy slugs still leave all kinds of crap everywhere, some folks just don't realize when they've got a great thing for their use and still abuse it. Very sad.

Lost Sheep
December 31, 2011, 03:25 AM
posts 4 and 14
Nice find! Someone didn't want their magazines!!:D
Oh, forgive me. With all the anal-retentive people correcting others who call magazines clips, to find someone calling clips magazines.... well, call me compulsive.

Those are clips. Real, genuine, clips.

Lost Sheep, who just couldn't resist.

P.S. Last year I found 20 hulls for my friend's .500 S&W. That was a good day for me (and him).

December 31, 2011, 07:51 AM
I hate to correct Lost Sheep, but... I wouldn't call the component that contains the primer, powder, projectile, and intense eye-popping pressure of a .500 S&W Magnum a HULL. It is a brass case of course. A shell even. A HULL....tisk tisk... I put those in my 20 gauge when I shoot skeet. :)

Happy New Year!

Blue68f100
December 31, 2011, 03:07 PM
Rondog, Pickup one of the nut picker uppers so you don't have to bend over.

Once old guy to another.....

rondog
December 31, 2011, 03:23 PM
Rondog, Pickup one of the nut picker uppers so you don't have to bend over.

Once old guy to another.....

Good idea, I need to do that. Although I don't need any more brass, I've got more than I'll ever get loaded already, I still need to pick up the ones that I shoot.

ARMike
December 31, 2011, 09:56 PM
I love it when you find this on the top of the trash barrel!! Not bad pickins overall today.

amlevin
December 31, 2011, 11:10 PM
I like to shoot during Member Only hours at the range I belong to. I get there well before "first shot" time on Monday AM. There often have been service rifle matches over the weekend and some shooters just toss their brass in the garbage can, not the brass buckets. I have recently added several hundred pieces of .308 Match Brass to my supply stream. All 1x fired with the Hornady Match being crimped. That Dillon super swage has paid for itself several times over in the last few years.

WhistlinDixie
January 2, 2012, 08:56 AM
I took my MP9c out and shot it for the first time at the local public range. It was packed and littered with brass. When they were shutting down I began sweeping up my own brass. The RO told me to take all I wanted. Ended up with

700+ 9mm
300+ 45 acp
200+ 40 sw
100 380 auto

Now I just need to buy a lee turret press kit

J_McLeod
February 11, 2012, 10:44 PM
Brought this thread back to talk about my score today. I took 55 rounds out to test two loads in my AR and then spent two hours picking up brass in the dark.

223 - 400
308 - 20
30-30 - 20
9mm - 60
40 - 100
5.7x28 - 81, this was the best find. I don't reload them, but they are rare enough to keep.

ARMike
February 12, 2012, 12:12 AM
good find for sure. I have been to the range here twice in as many weeks and havent seen jack. Although the weather has not been the best :(.

TexasShooter59
February 16, 2012, 09:18 PM
"Dumpster diving" in the trash barrel today! A number of .45 cases, and more! :)

Bogey1
February 17, 2012, 07:12 PM
New to this or any forum. Having good time reading all the comments, make one think before opening their mouths or worse, writing it down. But just so I can say I contributed something I have two possible ideas, if not already brought up.
1- Check with your local Army guard unit, see if they have mandatory recycling.
2- Same the local LEO. Most are required to qualify quarterly but that rarely happens. Most would be happy to not have to pick it up.

Don't have a favorite quote yet but: Tomorrow might not come, live for today.
I'll keep working on it... I like a lot yours

If you enjoyed reading about "Big Brass Score at the Range Today" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!