Israeli BPH - Ammo

PDA

galena
October 29, 2011, 04:16 PM
I recently picked up one of the Israeli Securtiy Forces import Browning HPs. She ain't the purdyest gal in the bar, but she's fun to play with. I have been shooting Winchester whitebox 115gr FMJ because it is all I have right now and it is too far to a town big enough to find any variety. The Winchester groups very well at 25 yards but it is two to three inches below POA, of course, the sights are only adjustable for windage. My question is this: Does anyone know what weight bullets the Israelis used as their service load? I am guessing that they must have used a heavier bullet that would shoot a bit higher? Any info will be appreciated. Thanks, and Keep shootin'

If you enjoyed reading about "Israeli BPH - Ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mgmorden
October 29, 2011, 04:50 PM
Israel is part of NATO, so I'd assume they'd use NATO standard ammo, which in 9mm is a fairly hotly loaded 124grn round.

I'd just try going to 124grn in general first to see how much that'll bring up the POI. Heavier bullets in a handgun always tend to shoot a bit higher. If that doesn't work, see about moving up to 147grn.

dogtown tom
October 29, 2011, 05:09 PM
mgmorden Israel is part of NATO,
Nope.

SharpsDressedMan
October 29, 2011, 07:00 PM
A 124gr should print higher than a 115 gr load. That may fix your problem, or your gun may be sighted for a different yardage (try for a target 10-20 yards further out for a zero hold).

jonnyc
October 29, 2011, 07:29 PM
Ditto, although Israel cooperates with Nato on a number of issues, it sure ain't a member. Israeli police issue 9mm has most often been 124 grain. Give that a try, but I'm sure that they were never optimized for any particular type or weight of ammo. Pistol use in Israeli police and military forces isn't usually that important or designed.

Ringolevio
October 30, 2011, 09:37 AM
galena:
I recently picked up one of the Israeli Securtiy Forces import Browning HPs.

Are those made in Israel? If so, who's selling them or where can I get one?

jonnyc
October 30, 2011, 09:46 AM
A very few have been Israeli-made Kareen HPs, but the vast majority have been various vintages of FN HP. Wouldn't surprise me to see the occasional Argy FM mixed in, as they were popular in Israel in the 1980s.

rcjohnson
October 30, 2011, 10:34 AM
A bunch showed up on Guns America a while back, sold by Robertson Trading Post, but they're gone now. Price was right - $400 +/- depending on condition. Lower priced ones were pretty rough, but still serviceable.

galena
October 30, 2011, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the response and advice guys. I will give the 124 grains a try, I did find some 147 grain, sub-sonic, in my ammo locker but there is a foot of snow on my range and I don't feel like digging for brass right now, will wait a couple of days until it melts and give them a try.

My HP is a Belgium Browning, not assembled in Portgical. I got it off of Gun Broker from a dealer in Kentucky, KY Arms. He had several a couple of weeks ago but the last time I looked he only had two left on the auction site. Per my original post, she ain't real pretty but cleaned up nice. It had been bead blasted and has an olive drab durocote. Looks OK but there is some pitting under the finish. The bore is perfect and she shoots without any hickups, does have ambi safety. Great little knock around shooter. Keep shootin'

KodiakBeer
October 30, 2011, 03:54 PM
My HP is a Belgium Browning, not assembled in Portgical.

If it's newer than 1971, then it was assembled in Portugal. It's just that guns made for the US market are stamped as such, while guns made for everyone else aren't.

The Israeli Hi Powers are a mixed bag since they bought them in fits and starts over the years. Some are standard commercial pistols and some are from batches made for police or military elsewhere. They just tended to buy whatever was available at the time. The only exception is a contract batch made from about 1985 to 1990 that are identifiable by a rib running under the frame forward from the trigger guard.

If you enjoyed reading about "Israeli BPH - Ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!