Jerry Miculek and His Speed Reloading

PDA

bergmen
October 29, 2011, 07:20 PM
I have watched this video of Jerry firing six rounds, reloading and firing six more in 2.99 seconds many, many times. I cannot for the life of me figure out how he reloads so danged fast.

Here's the video (last of three segments):

http://splodetv.com/fast-revolver-reload

Does anybody know how he does this? I can't imagine doing a speedloader this fast.

Dan

If you enjoyed reading about "Jerry Miculek and His Speed Reloading" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Husker_Fan
October 29, 2011, 07:22 PM
I believe he is using moon clips.

Ridgerunner665
October 29, 2011, 07:23 PM
Practice, practice, and more practice....If ya want to be able to do something, ya gotta put forth the effort.

ArchAngelCD
October 29, 2011, 07:31 PM
He uses moon clips, he has probably done it hundreds of thousands of times and most importantly, he has God given talent.

Photoman
October 29, 2011, 07:32 PM
Model 625 with moon clipped round nose ammo. Nothin' to it. ;)

rcmodel
October 29, 2011, 07:32 PM
Practice, practice, and more practice!
And moon-clips.

He is shooting a S&W 625 .45 ACP with the chambers chamfered so there is no chance of cartridges hanging up.

And he has reloaded with Moon-clips so many times in practice & competition he basically can throw them at the cylinder and they will go in every time.

Nobody ever accused him of being slow with a revolver!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Miculek

rc

bergmen
October 29, 2011, 08:58 PM
Moon clips, never thought of that. He makes it look like everything I do is in super slow motion.

Dan

Deaf Smith
October 29, 2011, 09:15 PM
bergmen,

With all due respect to Miculek he:

A. Uses a S&W 625 .45 ACP (big round holes)
B. FMJ (easier to load)
C. Moonclips
D. Very exposed moon clip holders on belt
E. Chamfered chambers (bevelled) to funnel the FMJs in.
F. Many a year of practice as it is his job!

It is a tour-de-force of what you can do if you set your mind to it and rationally analyse the techniques and equipment needed to achieve your goal.

Deaf

rcmodel
October 29, 2011, 09:21 PM
Still not too shabby for a 56 year old guy now is it!!

rc

Guillermo
October 29, 2011, 09:33 PM
not too shabby for a 56 year old guy

His wife says he is getting faster

(she is impressive in her own right)

Dimis
October 29, 2011, 09:40 PM
Easy answer hes a mutant with the ability to manipulate time and space

Logical answer he has practiced the majority of his life and uses moonclips and has been granted a one in a billion gift

and wow 56 I could have sworn he was older than that either way very impressive and one of my shooting heroes

vicdotcom
October 30, 2011, 10:01 AM
Here is a picture of a moon clips if you didn't know what they were. It is a circular clip that holds the rounds in place. You drop the whole thing into the cylinder. But you do need a specially recessed cylinder in order to use them.

http://deuce45s.com/images/M%201917%20Full%20Moon%20Clips.jpg

22lr
October 30, 2011, 08:34 PM
I had a 625 for a while, you can get scary fast on the reloads with practice. But don't let that fool ya, 2.99 seconds is a world speed record for a reason.

I never had sports heroes growing up, Jerry Miculek was my hero.

MCgunner
October 30, 2011, 08:42 PM
Well, considering it'd probably take me 10 seconds just to get the reload done even with moon clips, this vid always awes me. :D

WardenWolf
October 31, 2011, 02:09 AM
I've always wondered why nobody has ever made a revolver where you could fast-swap the whole cylinder. It seems to me it would be a lot faster than even moon clips.

F-111 John
October 31, 2011, 03:14 AM
I've always wondered why nobody has ever made a revolver where you could fast-swap the whole cylinder.

Actually, it was done with some early black powder revolvers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Model_1858

StrawHat
October 31, 2011, 07:35 AM
JM also says he practiced a lot but had a bit of luck the day he fired the record. Whether the planets lined up or the chambers or chamfered, the reload he did that day was impressive. I am waiting for the time when he breaks that record.

gotigers
October 31, 2011, 08:10 AM
Jerry is fast. I have watched Sam Keen at local matches and he may be a bit faster. There is a Revolver match in Memphis this week. Sam should be there. I will be there watching. Those guys are fast.

PapaG
October 31, 2011, 11:40 AM
I used a 625 in our pin shoots and was often faster at the reload than the auto shooters. That said, my reloads were in about the time that Jerry shot, reloaded, and shot again. He is phenomenal.
And he is just about as good with a rifle and shotgun.

Lucky Derby
October 31, 2011, 11:47 AM
Here is a picture of a moon clips if you didn't know what they were. It is a circular clip that holds the rounds in place. You drop the whole thing into the cylinder. But you do need a specially recessed cylinder in order to use them.

http://deuce45s.com/images/M%201917%20Full%20Moon%20Clips.jpg
Not in .45acp or 9mm, only in .38/.357 and other similar cartridges.

vicdotcom
October 31, 2011, 02:38 PM
Not in .45acp or 9mm, only in .38/.357 and other similar cartridges.
Ohh right. Good point. I haven't had the pleasure to shoot 9mm or .45acp revolvers yet.

rcmodel
October 31, 2011, 02:44 PM
It seems to me it would be a lot faster than even moon clips.
Not likely.
A loaded cylinder is going to be a lot heavier then a loaded moon-clip.
Just getting it started moving and stopping it again in the right place is going to take a lot more muscle.

And that doesn't even count the unmerciful beating the gun, extra cylinders, and your fingers would take in loading them half as fast as you can load moon-clips of ammo.

rc

Frank V
October 31, 2011, 06:20 PM
Did you notice how Jerry kind of moved forward a little at the end of each string? I've seen moving pictures of Ed McGivern shooting really fast & he did the same thing.
Jerry is the real deal, he can really make a revolver talk.
Thanks for sharing.
Frank

Fishslayer
October 31, 2011, 10:27 PM
Maybe a couple hours worth of practice for Mr. Miculek... :D

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn215/THE_Fishslayer/OSR/Mooned45.jpg

Owen Sparks
November 1, 2011, 12:40 AM
I shot in a match with Sam Keen. He won overall against a bunch of 1911 shooters including the former state IDPA champ using a 1911 in .38 Super.

DWFan
November 1, 2011, 01:15 AM
As far as pure speed in emptying a revolver, Jerry Miculek is incredibly fast. Ed McGivern was even faster and more accurate. Bob Munden is another. He can fire his SAA Colts so fast that the human ear cannot distinguish the individual shots.

Sam1911
November 1, 2011, 07:19 AM
I was a Safety Officer on a stage at IDPA Nationals in '08. Jerry shot my stage, and I made sure to be right on his elbow to see just how he did it.

He shot, his hands came together, then he was shooting again. I think I must have blinked or something, 'cause I missed it.

:eek: :)

bergmen
November 1, 2011, 11:15 AM
http://inlinethumb51.webshots.com/48050/2873463280053667879S600x600Q85.jpg http://inlinethumb01.webshots.com/47232/2508538800053667879S600x600Q85.jpg

Dan

45crittergitter
November 19, 2011, 11:16 PM
I was actually there that day. The 6 + 6 event was fired (if memory serves) with a S&W Model 625 (Now, there's a 635 JM, for Jerry Miculek) chambered in .45 ACP, and yes he used moon clips. FWIW, it was 108 degrees at the time.

Drail
November 20, 2011, 02:00 AM
I have stood close to him and watched and you cannot believe what you just saw. He actually took the time to show me how he "throws" the clip at the cylinder instead of trying to line up the rounds with chambers. It works. He is a very nice guy and will answer any questions from anyone. I worked at a club in Illinois and Tom Kilhoffer (TK Custom who does moon clip conversions) used to come to our USPSA and steel matches and enter in the semi auto division with a revolver. And beat everybody. I shot against him in a man on man steel match with him shooting a moon clipped revolver and me shooting a 1911. At the end of the match it came down to me vs. him. We had to do two runs to decide the match. He could reload that revolver faster than I could change mags and get to the stop plate first. Every time. I used to think I was pretty quick with a 1911 until that day. It was actually pretty hilarious to watch. The crowd loved it. Revolvers ARE tactical if you know how to work one.

9mmepiphany
November 20, 2011, 02:19 PM
The advantage of the reload isn't how fast they can be performed, it is how many rounds you are loading each time.

I was once at a class where we had a shoot off between all the shooters...the drill was 2 shots on each of 3 targets, reload and repeat (all hits in the "A" zone) The last two guys were a revolver shooter (S&W M-19) and a semi-auto shooter (Beretta 92).

The 92 is a much easier gun to reload than a 1911 (tapered magazine/wider magwell) and the revolver guy was using HKS speedloaders (much slower than moonclips; just about the slowest speedloaders available). Both shooters were practiced and very smooth.

In a 2 out of 3 match, there was no notable speed advantage to the reload of the 92

If you enjoyed reading about "Jerry Miculek and His Speed Reloading" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!