Are most of the guys who sing the praises of Browning High Powers 1911 lovers?

PDA

Dr_2_B
October 30, 2011, 05:35 PM
I see a lot of love for the BHPs. My hypothesis is that most of the people who have such high regard for the BHPs are the same traditionalist types who believe the 1911 is that hands-down king of pistols. And I'm not disparaging that in the least... although the 1911 is not for me, I see its merits. And everyone is entitled to his favorites.

If you enjoyed reading about "Are most of the guys who sing the praises of Browning High Powers 1911 lovers?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Furncliff
October 30, 2011, 05:58 PM
It's a matter of fit. My finger falls off the base of the HP grip. The 1911 is a perfect fit (with the addition of Pachmyer grips).

Husker_Fan
October 30, 2011, 06:00 PM
There are probably similar reasons for why I like both so much.

I like the consistent trigger pull of a SA gun. They are both thin guns which makes them great for IWB carry. I prefer to ride the safety with my shooting thumb and that means a frame mounted safety that fires in the down position. I like all metal guns. I love the ergonomics and handling of both (but especially the hi power). Of course, it helps that I shoot both pretty well.

One other thing I find appealing with them, is the wide variation. You can change mainspring housings, grip and frame safeties, triggers, springs, hammers, slide stops, and grips all fairly easily and with a wide selection for all of these components and completely change the fee of the gun. Though mine are still stock, I imagine I'll tinker with them at some point. It's one of the reasons I picked the 10/22 when I got my last rimfire rifle. I can start with the base gun and have change into a dozen different configurations over the years.

ATLDave
October 30, 2011, 06:09 PM
I like the consistent trigger pull of a SA gun. They are both thin guns which makes them great for IWB carry. I prefer to ride the safety with my shooting thumb and that means a frame mounted safety that fires in the down position. I like all metal guns. I love the ergonomics and handling of both (but especially the hi power).

This.

longhair75
October 30, 2011, 06:17 PM
Not available on the poll:

I love the Browning Hi Power, but I am not a 1911 shooter.

I traded a Mixmaster M1 Carbine for a slightly used BHP in about 1980. It has performed flawlessly since day 1. I have no idea of the round count, but you can put a lot of rounds through a pistol in 30 years. I am a very satisfied BHP owner.

The only 1911 I have ever shot was one of a group that was released as military surplus Sometime in the late 60's early 70's. A friend of mine owned it, and it was in very poor condition. I was not impressed.

I am considering a 1911 in the near future.

KenW.
October 30, 2011, 07:07 PM
There is nothing wrong with either. Everyone should own a pair.

bikerdoc
October 30, 2011, 07:12 PM
1911, BPH, and CZ's for me

bdb benzino
October 30, 2011, 07:14 PM
I started out loving the 1911, but it took me a few years more to try a Hi-Power. Man do I love those things too, wish I would have tried them sooner. The HP is the easiest pistol for me to shoot quickly and accurately. JMB was pure genious!

Rail Driver
October 30, 2011, 07:16 PM
Personally I love both guns, but I'm not one of those "fanboy" types... I carry a 1911 every day, with a S&W snubbie as a backup. I never should have sold the Hi-power I had, but I'll get one again sooner or later.

PabloJ
October 30, 2011, 07:37 PM
These are classic well made but outdated designs. From 'Hot' status both require disengagement of slide locking lever prior to use. Modern high capacity autos w/o manual safety features make for superior combat guns.

Rail Driver
October 30, 2011, 07:40 PM
These are classic well made but outdated designs. From 'Hot' status both require disengagement of slide locking lever prior to use. Modern high capacity autos w/o manual safety features make for superior combat guns.
Just my personal experience/learning/opinion/belief here, but swiping the safety off on a 1911 or a BHP is nothing more than part of the draw stroke... I'm on target just as fast as I am with my Glock, if not faster because I'm more comfortable shooting the 1911 style pistols.

ATLDave
October 30, 2011, 07:44 PM

Yeah, that's probably why all the elite combat units in the world have moved towards safety-less guns, and why all the serious action shooters have abandoned the 1911 platform.

Plan2Live
October 30, 2011, 07:51 PM
None of the categories fit me so I didn't vote. I've only shot one High Power and that was several years ago. At that time, I was marginally better with that gun than my S&W 459. I'm a much better shooter now and would like to try the BHP again. As of this moment, I would be more inclined to buy a High Power than a 1911.

Today, I had my second experience shooting 1911s. Both times were Kimbers. The first was a Raptor II and today it was a Pro Carry Custom something something. I shot the Raptor better than any other autoloader I ever fired for the first time. Today, with the Pro Carry I put 5 rounds inside a 2 inch circle with several touching each other. That's the kind of accuracy I only experience in a large frame revolver. My son shot the Pro Carry as his first time firing a 1911 and shot the best group he has ever fired next to a S&W 686 revolver.

Acknowledging the above, I still can't jump on the 1911 bandwagon simply because I prefer to not follow the crowd. I would never buy a Harley or get a tattoo for the same reason. Just me.

ugaarguy
October 30, 2011, 08:01 PM
From 'Hot' status both require disengagement of slide locking lever prior to use. Modern high capacity autos w/o manual safety features make for superior combat guns.
If you take a high thumbs grip which rides the safety (on frame mounted up to safe down to fire designs like the 1911 & BHP) it disengages as part of taking the firing grip. The greater advantage of such a grip is that it sits the bore axis lower in the hand which reduces muzzle flip, and thereby makes followup shots faster.

I'm slower with designs like the Beretta 92, etc, that have slide mounted safeties which do require a bit of a stretch to reach. However, there are highly trained users of the Beretta 92, etc, who have practiced so much that they are not slowed at all by disengaging the safety on these weapons. I also suspect that gun fit plays a large part in this: I have rather short fingers, and getting to a frame mounted safety lever is quite a reach for me.

As for the poll, I shoot 1911s better than I shoot a almost any other pistol. I like the BHP, but can't use them. My short fingers combined with the very meaty web of my hand between thumb & forefinger leads to that part of my hand riding over the frame tang & getting pinched between it & the hammer.

Brian D.
October 30, 2011, 08:26 PM
Both of them suit me better than anything else. No problem transitioning from a BHP to a 1911 or vice versa. In fact I use the same holsters for both.

I do switch to carrying a Glock model 20 (10mm) when spending time in places with bigger critters than people to watch out for.

load748
October 30, 2011, 08:37 PM
1911 forever................................................

Husker_Fan
October 30, 2011, 09:33 PM
Have you tried different mags?

ByAnyMeans
October 30, 2011, 11:57 PM
I love the 1911 and Hi Power. Fantastic pistols for range toys or self defense.

PabloJ
October 31, 2011, 12:29 AM
I noticed Remington Rand 'rattle trap' in very good original condition is often priced like new Les Baer.:eek:

ugaarguy
October 31, 2011, 01:01 AM
Even for civilian use the CZ75 or SIG 226 would be better choice then BHP
Even if the person in question shoots the BHP better than a CZ-75 or SIG P226?

PabloJ
October 31, 2011, 01:16 AM
Even if the person in question shoots the BHP better than a CZ-75 or SIG P226?
The old ones had wonderful polish and blueing........I changed my last post because I do not wish to upset older members of the board who like vintage stuff made when labor a mano was still cheap.

Sergei Mosin
October 31, 2011, 02:57 AM
The 1911 and the Hi Power being so similar, it shouldn't come as any surprise that 1911 owners tend to enjoy Hi Powers as well. What's not to love about a good single-action pistol?

mustang 22
October 31, 2011, 03:24 AM
I agree with Ken W everyone should own a pair.. A pair of each!

JTQ
October 31, 2011, 11:55 AM
I think 1911 fans are also Hi-Power fans.

The simple reason is neither is afraid of seeing a cocked hammer on a holstered pistol. It's just not that scary, if you know what you're doing. They both also have confidence in their ability to swipe the thumb safety off without any problems. It's just not that hard, if you know what you're doing. The majority of these users know what they're doing.

However, it will always bug the 1911 guys that the Hi-Power comes from the factory with a mag disconnect safety.

ForumSurfer
October 31, 2011, 01:56 PM
I love both.

I also love my glocks.

I also love my revolvers.

I haven't shot many firearms that I dislike. :)

However, it will always bug the 1911 guys that the Hi-Power comes from the factory with a mag disconnect safety.

Mag disconnect safeties on anything bug me.

Fishslayer
October 31, 2011, 03:05 PM
Lemme guess... G**** fanboi? :D

mooner
October 31, 2011, 04:32 PM
I really like 1911's. Have not had the fortune to shoot a High Power. That being said, it does seem that a CZ75 might have a bit of a one up on it. Higher capacity, ability for cocked and locked as well as double action. I should give one a try before disparaging too much.

Moptop
November 1, 2011, 12:18 AM
Wtih me it's the other way around! I'm a huge fan of the HP, it fits my hand better than the 1911 and I'm more proficient with it....but I own a Kimber 1911 too and love it as well.

tinygnat219
November 1, 2011, 06:53 AM
The Hi-Power might be dated in some areas and there are some design issues about it I don't care for, it seems to me that pretty much every gun company today (except Beretta) seems to be using the Browning Hi-Power's recoil system with the tilted barrel and all that. So even if the Hi-Power's status is fading, I'd put it as a more popular design than the 1911.

rellascout
November 1, 2011, 09:52 AM
As others have stated for me it is a matter of fit and my ability to shoot the gun well that determines if I like it or don't.

For me personally the 1911 and the BHP fit my hands. I started out with Sigs DA/SA and still shoot them and shoot them well enough but the BHP and the 1911 fit me better. I have shot enough rounds through SA guns that the safety swipe some are concerned with is a natural movement for me now. Muscle memory is a great and powerful thing.

These pistols are not witout their faults but for me there just are not better fitting and shooting guns and I have tested quite a few. LOL

PS People who consistently sigth JMB fanboydom as the reason for the love of both of these pistols do not know their BHP history well enough. JMB started the BHP design but it is much more Dievdonne Saive's design than JMB IMHO.

Husker_Fan
November 1, 2011, 12:33 PM
Yep. When JMB died, I believe the design of the Hi-Power/P-35 was a striker fired pistol. Saive adopted a lot of 1911 features after JMB's patents, which were owned by Colt, expired. Saive also created the final grip design (probably the best thing about the hi-power) after JMB died.

Auto426
November 1, 2011, 02:55 PM
Yep. When JMB died, I believe the design of the Hi-Power/P-35 was a striker fired pistol. Saive adopted a lot of 1911 features after JMB's patents, which were owned by Colt, expired. Saive also created the final grip design (probably the best thing about the hi-power) after JMB died.

If I remember correctly Browning had developed both hammer and striker fired designs for a military trial. When he died the gun he designed was complete, but it wasn't selected for the (french? I believe) military. Saive took Browning's design and modified it into what we know today. I believe he shortens the barrel, shortened and recontoured the grip frame, and added a few 1911 esque features since the patents had just expired.

LongTimeGone
November 1, 2011, 05:00 PM
mooner said;
That being said, it does seem that a CZ75 might have a bit of a one up on it.

I have all 3. A S&W 1911, a 1977 BHP and a CZ 75 Compact. The BHP was my favorite pistol until I bought the CZ a couple of months ago and it supplanted the BHP for half the price.
I took the BHP and CZ to the range this morning 'cause they had been sitting while I shot rifles lately.
I shoot both well, at least for me, but the CZ feels just a little better in my hand and I can get the sights back easier.
I don't carry any of them. My edc is a Kahr PM9.
I will keep all of 'em.

nwilliams
November 1, 2011, 07:06 PM
The BHP is my all time favorite 9mm handgun.

The 1911 is my all time favorite .45acp

johnnydollar
November 1, 2011, 09:55 PM
Like them both, but the recoil of .45 ACP is just too much for my arthritic wrists nowadays, so my only 1911 is a Govt. model Rock Island chambered for the 9mm.
JD

wlewisiii
November 1, 2011, 10:35 PM
The Hi-Power is a debugged 1911. ;)

shooter1
November 1, 2011, 11:15 PM
Personally I love both guns, but I'm not one of those "fanboy" types.. (Rail Driver)

Well said!

I own both 1911s and BHP. They have a place in my shooting/carry regiment. The only real complaints I have about the HP is the lack of a beaver tail and the small safety on stock models. The spurred hammer on the older ones make a bloody mess out of the web of my hand, and the smallish safety lever is awkward for a "Thumbs Forward" grip. I also appreciate the merits of the CZ, Glock, and Sig platforms. They too have a place in my shooting/carry regiment. Of the above pistols, I actually shoot the CZ slightly better than the 1911s/BHPs. Of the pistols I have mentioned, I carry and shoot Glocks more than the others. I actually shoot the Glocks better than the Sigs.-------------Go figure!
To sum it up, I am fond of most pistol makes and models.
str1

MidwestRookie
November 1, 2011, 11:37 PM
I've never shot either, but really like both.

I couldn't believe the feeling when I finally got to fondle a MK III at a Bass Pro down in Florida during vacation back in June..I didn't know what to expect but I knew it was meant to be immediately. One day I'll have one in my collection, in honor of Mr. Camp.

Onmilo
November 2, 2011, 12:00 AM
I own an Inglis Hi-Power and two 1911 .45s.
I'm having no plans of selling any of them either.

surjimmy
November 2, 2011, 12:24 AM
Don't know what your talking about;) It's an Old School thing.http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa250/surjimmy/IMG_2980.jpg

orionengnr
November 2, 2011, 12:25 AM
Nope.
I'm a 1911 guy, and have no use for the BHP.

Nushif
November 2, 2011, 01:02 AM
If the hi-power had a slab slide instead of that ridiculous cut and the slide lock thingie wasn't so hi-profile ... I might like it more. 8)

Am I really one of the few people who likes the low profile looks?

scramasax
November 2, 2011, 01:31 AM
I have shot and carried a lot of different pistols. Yes I'm old school 1911 and BHP cover most of my shooting. Tried polymer pistols, good guns most of them, just not better in my hands. Tried CZ and Glock when working in Europe before any were in the states. Glock good mass produced gun, didn't fit my hand. CZ good gun excellent ergo, but slide inside frame was going to get me killed. Anything needed larger than a 45 I'll go to a revolver. Yes I'm old school. I use what works for me and have no issue with others doing the same.

Cheers,

ts

Dollar An Hour
November 2, 2011, 07:02 AM
My BHP is my favorite handgun by far. I have no desire for a 1911, although I'm sure I'd enjoy one.

shooter1
November 2, 2011, 03:20 PM
scramasax,

Just curious as to how the inside frame rails of the CZ were going to get you killed?
The slide running inside the frame rails works for me. I really like the lower bore axis.
str1

KodiakBeer
November 2, 2011, 04:17 PM
The slide running inside the frame rails works for me. I really like the lower bore axis.

The CZ doesn't have a lower bore axis, it just looks that way because of the slide design.

Just about all modern defense guns are mechanical copies of the linkless barrel system first used in the Hi Power design, or the linked barrel first used in the 1911 design. So, you're all fanboys of JMB designs.

The only real departures from JMB are in ergonomics and trigger types.

shooter1
November 2, 2011, 07:59 PM
Although not necessarily due to the relationship of the slide/frame rails, my totally unscientific measurements do verify to my satisfaction that the CZ does indeed have a lower bore axis than the 1911 and HP. Using a straight edge aligned with the bottom of the beaver tail, parallel to the center of the bore, measurements are as follows:
CZ 15/16"
HP 1"
1911 1 1/16
Irregardless, whether it's due to grip angle, bore axis height, or moon phase, the CZ recoils in more of a straight line back into the hand than the 1911. The HP is pretty close to the CZ. This is assuming the 1911 is a 9mm of course. Entirely different recoil impulse between a 9mm and a .45 acp.
Cheers,
str1

carlo1776
November 3, 2011, 12:40 AM
I love both my 1911's and have done a fair bit of work on both. I have to be a bit biased because the Inglis BHP was Canadian Forces issue but in 9mm my Sig P226 rules

Ringolevio
November 3, 2011, 01:29 AM
ATLDave:
Originally Posted by PabloJ
"These are classic well made but outdated designs. From 'Hot' status both require disengagement of slide locking lever prior to use. Modern high capacity autos w/o manual safety features make for superior combat guns."

Yeah, that's probably why all the elite combat units in the world have moved towards safety-less guns, and why all the serious action shooters have abandoned the 1911 platform.

'Tis a pity that, in these here parts, such sarcasm so often goes unappreciated.

I own 3 Colt 1911s and an FEG HP. Like others here, I'm a traditionalist, and have long admired the elegance and history of both designs.

I wanted a 1911 from the time I was a kid, hearing my dad and uncles (WWII vets) speak with fondness and awe of the ".45 Auto". That was reinforced when I became acquainted with the work of Col. Cooper.
And I wanted a BHP from the time I learned that such fabled folk as the RCMP and Frank Serpico favored it.

Except for the 1911's barrel bushing, the two designs strip and reassemble pretty much the same. And, as has been mentioned, I can use the same holsters for all.

bannockburn
November 3, 2011, 08:57 AM
I like them both equally, though I would have to say that the Hi-Power grip has a slight edge in ergonomics, at least for those of us with smaller hands. However I also like the balance of the M1911 (especially in a Commander-size gun), because it has the better overall feel to it.

scramasax
November 3, 2011, 03:33 PM
Shooter1

Old dogs with arthritis need more to grab. Every time I grabed for the CZ slide I got frame. Remember GROSS motor skils.

Cheers,

ts

SharpsDressedMan
November 3, 2011, 08:34 PM
One advantage of the Browning Hi Power over the CZ75 is being able to jam the front end of the slide under the barrel rearward on an object and fully chamber a round, should you lose function of one arm/hand. Basically a one hand chambering without grabbing the slide. The CZ will not cycle back far enough to pick up the round off the magazine.

Husker_Fan
November 3, 2011, 10:18 PM
Believe it or not, I've used that technique after I had surgery on my support side shoulder.

SharpsDressedMan
November 3, 2011, 10:20 PM
That technique would be a good argument AGAINST guide rods.:D

BHPshooter
November 3, 2011, 10:39 PM
My favorite handgun is the BHP, but the 1911 is a very close second. Both, in my eyes, are masterpieces, and what's not to love about the identical manual of arms?

Originally posted by rellascout:
PS People who consistently sigth JMB fanboydom as the reason for the love of both of these pistols do not know their BHP history well enough. JMB started the BHP design but it is much more Dievdonne Saive's design than JMB IMHO.

Originally posted by Husker_Fan:

I have always viewed the development of the Hi Power from the perspective that 3 people worked on it: John Browning, Dieudonne Saive, and John Browning (posthumously).

It is true that when JMB died, the Grand Puissance (as it was then known) was striker fired... it also had a slide running inside the frame rails.

During the period from 1922 to Browning's death in 1926, it is unclear how much of the development work was done by Browning and how much was done by Saive, as JMB was also working on his Superposed shotgun. From what I understand from the material available, I am inclined to think that Saive had more to do with the pistol, although Browning wasn't out of the picture by any means.

When the 1911 patents, owned by Colt's, expired in 1928, FN leadership told Saive to take the most desireable features of the JMB's 1911 and combine them with the best features of the Grand Puissance in a new design (the Saive-Browning model of 1928). This model initially had the 1911 barrel bushing and recoil spring plug, which was superseded with the fixed BHP-type bushing in about 1931.

By late 1933 or early 1934, the Hi Power was finished and ready to be produced, but due to the economic depression, it wasn't a big hit until Belgium's own military adopted it in 1935.

Really, I don't care which person did more work on the Hi Power -- in my opinion, those two men were probably the two biggest mechanical geniuses in firearm history. The Hi Power is the child of two royal families. On one side you have such relatives as the M2, the BAR, and the 1911, and on the other, you have things like the FN49 and the FAL. Pretty proud heritage, if you ask me.

Wes

KodiakBeer
November 4, 2011, 03:01 PM
Browning submitted two designs for the Hi Power to FN at the same time. The call was for a competition for a new auto for the French army.

Design number two was the one accepted by FN. Design number one was filed away. Somehow, the blueprints for design number one surfaced long before the actual (number two design) did. That mistake has created a lot of confusion over the years as to what JMB contributed vs what Saive contributed.

I have a digital copy of the original Hi Power design (Design #2) submitted by JMB some place. If anyone is really interested, I'll dig it up and post it. But, suffice to say that many of the concepts attributed to Saive were in fact in the original design (#2). For example, Saive is credited with the double column magazine because design #1 (the one NOT accepted) had a single column magazine.
Yet, the original design number 2 (the one accepted) had the double column magazine.

Design number 2 is instantly recognizable as the BHP we know today just by glancing at the blueprint. Saive shortened the barrel and grip slightly (making it a 13 round mag instead of the original 15 rounder submitted by JMB). Saive added the mag disconnect, because the French wanted that. Saive converted the striker fired design to a hammer gun, also because the French wanted that.

None of that mattered because the French chose a French designed pistol called the MAS 35, which disappeared into obscurity during the war. Everybody else wanted the Hi Power.

As far as pistols today go, almost all of them are copies of the HI Power and/or 1911. It's all Browning! Even the Glock is very much a copy of the Hi Power. The action mechanism if is pure Hi Power. The striker design is stolen directly from the original design as submitted by JMB, before it was changed to a hammer fired gun by Saive.

All modern (successful) military and police pistols were designed by JMB. Period.

ATLDave
November 4, 2011, 03:19 PM
All modern (successful) military and police pistols were designed by JMB. Period.

Seems like a bit of an overstatement. I'd consider the H&K P7 series to have been pretty succesful; what part of that design is a JMB contribution?

KodiakBeer
November 4, 2011, 03:51 PM
Seems like a bit of an overstatement. I'd consider the H&K P7 series to have been pretty succesful; what part of that design is a JMB contribution?

I'd hardly call the P7 a successful design, but it is striker fired which is copied from the original Hi Power design. It's blowback, which can be found in any number of JMB designs, though the gas retard system is probably original.

Dr_2_B
November 4, 2011, 03:57 PM
I'd hardly call the P7 a successful design,

Respectfully, I'll have to disagree with you on this. I believe the P7 has been established as successful.

mokin
November 4, 2011, 04:27 PM
I love my BHP but I'm only neutral about 1911s.

johnnydollar
November 4, 2011, 10:27 PM
Respectfully, I'll have to disagree with you on this. I believe the P7 has been established as successful.

Seconded.
JD

Loosedhorse
November 4, 2011, 10:36 PM
I think this is a little like asking, "Are most of the guys who sing the praises of fine cigars also lovers of great bourbons?"

ATLDave
November 5, 2011, 12:08 AM
I'd hardly call the P7 a successful design, but it is striker fired which is copied from the original Hi Power design. It's blowback, which can be found in any number of JMB designs, though the gas retard system is probably original.

Well, they certainly sold a heck of a lot of them to the police in Europe. And there are still many, many of them that are great shooting pieces today with many thousands of rounds through them. I don't know what your threshold of "successful" is, but if the P7 doesn't meet it, then there have only been about 10 successful semi-auto pistols in history.

Did JMB invent blowback? Or striker-firing? I give him credit for lots of things, but I didn't know he deserved credit for those.

Look, I think it's pretty hard to argue against the proposition that JMB was the greatest firearm designer in history. But it's simply overstating things to say that there is nothing he didn't invent first.

scythefwd
November 5, 2011, 12:13 AM
I prefer the HP over the 1911. I just got my first 1911. Traded an HP for it, matter of fact. I'll end up replacing the HP.. this may be my only 1911, if I keep it. I'll give it some thousand rounds or so to grow on me.

ugaarguy
November 5, 2011, 01:18 AM
I'm sorry but you're dead wrong. Hugo Borchardt designed the magazine in pistol grip as we know it now in his C-93 pistol, and that went into (for that period) mass production in 1893. Georg Roth and Karel Krnka beat JMB to the punch on striker fire by three years with their Roth-Steyr M1907 (Glocks use a modified version of this style of striker fire). JMB's greatest pistol contribution (amongst many great ones) was probably the tilt breech locking mechanism.

surfinUSA
November 5, 2011, 01:39 PM
I really like the 1911 but do not see the HP as any improvement. In fact some of its features like its miniature safety lever I consider a liability.

The caliber is fine, I have a number of 9mms that are better guns for my purpose than the HP. But that is also true of the 1911, for a SD gun I prefer an older SIG P220 with a stamped slide.

Dr.Rob
November 6, 2011, 06:12 AM
With the right grips (Houge monogrips) they feel almost the same in my hand, which is odd because the BHP is so boxy on cross section at the magazine.

Same manual of arms. (With disconnecter removed)

Controls can be customized so they are the same size/contours for both pistols. And you can use the same holsters.

All of which helped make the BHP my favorite 9mm. One of these days io need to get a real BHP, as my current one is an FEG clone.

scythefwd
November 6, 2011, 09:29 AM
Dr Rob,
Which "clone"? The P9R or the real clone? I started off with a P9R, and moved to an early post war HP. I traded that for a 1911, and I'm already looking for a used HP to replace the one I traded.

If it's the P9R - night and day difference in the way it feels in the hand vs. a real HP.

Hammerhead6814
November 6, 2011, 08:50 PM
1911's are nice, but there is nothing like the raw sex appeal of a Hi-Power.

JohnBT
November 7, 2011, 10:28 AM
There's the P210.

I have at least one 1911, BHP & CZ-75B. And then there's the Swiss Army Pistal, aka the P210. It's my favorite now.

dogtown tom
November 7, 2011, 01:51 PM
surfinUSA .... In fact some of its features like its miniature safety lever I consider a liability....

Ummmm.............a safety lever design that was discontinued a quarter of a century ago?:scrutiny:

It's funny, but every military in the free world coveted the Hi Power with that little liability.

If you enjoyed reading about "Are most of the guys who sing the praises of Browning High Powers 1911 lovers?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!