Which hand primer tool do you like?

PDA

ArtP
October 30, 2011, 05:53 PM
I've always primed on my press. I'm about to change my handloading routine where I will no longer be de-priming, sizing and re-priming in one step. I think the new routine will be better served with a hand priming tool.

Cost does matter, as does ease of setup or changing primers.

I use a Lee press and Lee shellholders. Would I need new shellholders for a hand prime tool?

So what do you like?

If you enjoyed reading about "Which hand primer tool do you like?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
October 30, 2011, 06:01 PM
The Lee hand primer tool uses different shell holders then the press.

I have used an RCBS hand priming tool for about 40+ years with complete satisfaction.
It uses standard shell holders.
http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/329291/rcbs-hand-priming-tool

RCBS also make a "Universal" model now that doesn't use shell holders at all.
http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/319794/rcbs-universal-hand-priming-tool

That would probably be what I would buy next time if I live long enough to wear out the one I have.
But that seems very unlikely.

rc

jcwit
October 30, 2011, 06:02 PM
Check out this thread

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=622292

Me? My faveriot is the K & M. But in reality the Lee Is probably the most popular.

cfullgraf
October 30, 2011, 06:21 PM
I liked the original Lee Auto-Prime but stopped using it when Lee put primer restrictions on it. Still have two, including a box of spare parts, for a couple cartridges that do not work well in the replacement.

I currently use the RCBS hand primer with the universal shell holder. Operation meets expectations most of the time but primer seating effort sometimes is greater than the holding effort of the universal shell holder. The case then pops out of the shell holder.

Some cases, like brass .410 shotshell cases do not work at all in the RCBS priming tool.

I have not tried any other hand primer so I cannot comment on them.

918v
October 30, 2011, 06:24 PM
Hornady makes the highest quality automatic hand priming tool today.

ArtP
October 30, 2011, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. I ordered a RCBS standard primer. Had I searched (sorry) I would have found the thread I was linked to, to have plenty of info.

I chose the standard over the universal because most of my calibers are based on a 30-06 case, some via the .308. I have plenty of shellholders that size and the standard seems stronger based on reviews.

beatledog7
October 30, 2011, 07:10 PM
+ 1 on the Hornady. Seems to work with any shellholder and provides excellent tactile sensation of the primer seating as it should, or nor, so you can do what you have to do and no more. I stuck some athletic tape on the body of mine to make it easier to hold onto,a noticeable improvement.

Iron Sight
October 30, 2011, 11:16 PM
Have Hornady, Lee, RCBS that uses shell holders and a RCBS Universal .

I like the RCBS Universal. (It doesnt work with 45 Auto Rim)

gamestalker
October 31, 2011, 12:31 AM
RCModel, I have always used an RCBS priming die and have stuck with it because it performs with such precision. However, I'm seeing a lot of precision reloader's using the hand pirming set up and now, I'm beginning to wonder if I should give them a try.
What additional benefit do they have over a priming die?
Would it be worth it for me to buy one and give it a run RC?

malt
October 31, 2011, 01:33 AM
I have the forester coax Primer Seater very nice to use, got it when I started reloading. Don't need shell holders, in fact i don't have any shell holders.

Offfhand
October 31, 2011, 04:58 PM
The highest quality hand priming tool-by a wide margin- is made by MagnumMetal: www.benchrest.com/magnummetal/ go to site and click priming tool. It is rather pricey compared to other tools but worth the difference and then some. Another tool favored by many of the top benchrest shooters is the OLD STYLE Hornady tool, not the ones they currently make. I buy every one of the old Hornady hand tools I can find but they are scarce and even used ones are selling for upwards of $80-100. That is if you can find someone willing to sell one.

BYJO4
October 31, 2011, 05:37 PM
I think the RCBS bench mounted priming tool is an excellent choice. It is fast and seats primer perfectly every time with no effort.

jcwit
October 31, 2011, 05:51 PM
Offhand

That is one real nice looking Priming Tool, but way more than what I need at this stage of my life. Even looks nicer than the Sinclair tool.

918v
November 1, 2011, 03:30 AM
Another tool favored by many of the top benchrest shooters is the OLD STYLE Hornady tool, not the ones they currently make. I buy every one of the old Hornady hand tools I can find but they are scarce and even used ones are selling for upwards of $80-100. That is if you can find someone willing to sell one.

Yep. They are the best tray-fed priming tools out there.

Kevin Rohrer
November 1, 2011, 12:25 PM
Can you post a pic of the old-style Hornady tool?

918v
November 1, 2011, 01:10 PM
Look at their pic:

http://www.smartreloader.com/hornady-hand-priming-tool-p-2516.html

jcwit
November 1, 2011, 01:39 PM
Looks just like the one on the current Hornady site! So whats old about it? Looks just like the one I have.

TexasShooter59
November 1, 2011, 09:10 PM
I have not been reloading very long, but I got the RCBS Universal to start out with (based on comments on this board) and have been quite happy with it.

918v
November 1, 2011, 10:12 PM
Looks just like the one on the current Hornady site! So whats old about it? Looks just like the one I have.

Google it.

jcwit
November 1, 2011, 10:16 PM
Did that yesterday!

Thanks a bunch for the help.

Otto
November 1, 2011, 10:57 PM
Another tool favored by many of the top benchrest shooters is the OLD STYLE Hornady tool, not the ones they currently make. I buy every one of the old Hornady hand tools I can find but they are scarce and even used ones are selling for upwards of $80-100. That is if you can find someone willing to sell one.

Here's one that sold for $18.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hornady-hand-primer-/120770031840

jcwit
November 1, 2011, 11:04 PM
OK, thanks, thats what I have, one with the shell holder sitting out all by itself.

I see the new ones have the shell holder enclosed.

What difference would it make?

If you enjoyed reading about "Which hand primer tool do you like?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!