Rohrbaugh R9s: Why or why not?

PDA

Dr_2_B
October 30, 2011, 08:54 PM
I have a recently acquired Kahr PM9 with which I believe I will be thrilled. But I chose it because I thought it was more robust than the Rohrbaugh based on my research. This may or may not be accurate. I still might consider a Rohrbaugh, funding it by the sale of a couple other handguns or long-guns.

So I'd like to pose this question. If it were funded, would you opt for a Rohrbaugh over other mini 9s? Why or why not?

If you enjoyed reading about "Rohrbaugh R9s: Why or why not?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PabloJ
October 30, 2011, 09:19 PM
I have examined .380 and 9x19 versions and was very impressed with quality of each. I read of half dozen .380s tested by mag staff only Rohrbaugh was 100% reliable. Due to grip design I heard the 9x19 is surprisingly pleasant to shoot but I would have to actually try one at the range to be convinced of that. Unless I can try one I will not buy one because I do not want to take "ice bath" at resale time should I not like the gun after I bought it. The only expensive stuff that sells around here is WWII GI stuff and large old blued S&W revolvers with extra screws in the frames.

The price of Rohrbaugh is major hurdle to ownership for most out there. If one reads this board with some regularity it is obvious that just $100-$200 price is great deal to most.

kokapelli
October 30, 2011, 09:47 PM
I have a PM9 and would buy an R9, but only after I had purchased the PM9.

Unfortunately I don't have funds for the R9 right now.

Dr_2_B
October 30, 2011, 09:48 PM
Kokapelli, why's that?

ETA: Answered.

Bobo
October 30, 2011, 09:49 PM
I voted for choice #2.
There are other 9 mm pocket guns that are just as reliable and cost half the price. The Rohrbaugh is a great historical gun. It is the first truly practicable 9 mm of it's kind. The problem is that it has fallen behind the times since polymer became a viable option. If you want to pay the extra money for classiness and history you should do so. I happen to be a practical and frugal guy and would rather buy a gun that would function just as well for less money save the extra money for something else such as another gun or ammo or a present for my wife.

Bobo

W L Johnson
October 30, 2011, 09:53 PM
The problem is that it has fallen behind the times since polymer became a viable option.

Can you explain why you feel this way? Even being all metal it's still only 13.5 oz.

DeepSouth
October 30, 2011, 10:03 PM
Other for me, I'm anxiously awaiting the R45. I will have one of those.
In the highly unlikely event I bought a 9 for carry, then yes I'd buy an R9, but that isn't going to happen. I'm a 45 guy.

camsdaddy
October 30, 2011, 10:07 PM
I dont see where the Rohrbaugh is any better than other offerings now on the market. From what I have read they are finicky on ammo and the springs have to be changed out every few hundred rounds. I honestly cant see where this gun would shine over other offerings such as the PM9 or even the CM9. I owned a PF9 that would shoot whatever flawlessly and never hiccuped I dont see me tolerating anything especially for the price.

Justin
October 30, 2011, 10:11 PM
The R9 is designed to be the smallest semi-auto 9mm available. If size is your biggest concern, a Rohrbaugh should sit right at the top of your list.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

gbelleh
October 30, 2011, 10:17 PM
I have a PM9 and a Rohrbaugh R9, and I carry them both regularly.
I don't see one as better than the other so much as 2 guns with different purposes and capabilities. To me, the PM9 is an IWB primary pistol. I don't consider myself undergunned at all with my PM9. The R9 is a pocket gun, back up, or last ditch belly gun.

The R9 can fit in pockets that even the PM9 can't. But the R9 is harder to shoot well, slightly less powerful, and requires more maintenance and may be ammo sensitive.

The PM9 has excellent sights (mine has night sights), is very shootable and controllable, allowing for amazing accuracy, and can handle +p ammo.

The R9 is a perfect back pocket pistol, and is great when it's hot or light clothing is required. But the PM9 has all the features of a full size gun.

It comes down to your purposes and budget. I'm glad to have both, and I find they are different enough to serve 2 different purposes very well.

W L Johnson
October 30, 2011, 10:17 PM
springs have to be changed out every few hundred rounds

$5

Remember it's only 13.5oz, better the springs take the beating than the frame.

DPris
October 30, 2011, 10:18 PM
And that's what it was designed for- size, not to be a Kahr or a Kel-Tec. :)
Denis

W L Johnson
October 30, 2011, 10:25 PM
Compared to my (now sold) Kel-Tec P3AT 380

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=117871&d=1268845438
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=117872&d=1268846170

Bobo
October 30, 2011, 10:32 PM
W L Johnson,

To illustrate...
One good example is the Kel-Tec PF-9; it is the same weight as the Rohrbaugh, holds one more round, has decent sights, has a slide catch, a rail, is just as reliable, for 1/3rd the price, and is only slightly longer and higher, but also thinner. http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf

Bobo

W L Johnson
October 30, 2011, 10:37 PM
To illustrate...
One good example is the Kel-Tec PF-9; it is the same weight as the Rohrbaugh, holds one more round, has decent sights, has a slide catch, a rail, is just as reliable, for 1/3rd the price, and is only slightly longer and higher, but also thinner. http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf

Bobo

Some of those numbers are off
http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/products

kokapelli
October 30, 2011, 10:49 PM
Kokapelli, why's that?
If you go down about five or six posts and read gbelleh's post those are exactly what my feelings are.

Bobo
October 30, 2011, 11:00 PM
W L Johnson,

Some of those numbers are off
http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/products

The numbers on the Pocket Auto Comparison Chart came from a Rorbaugh owner who measured and weighed his gun for me about five years ago. I believe the height number on the Rohrbaugh site may not include the mag catch. It is also possible that they have been able to shave some weight off since that time. If you still have your Rorbaugh and can accurately measure and weight it in a similar way as shown on page three of the Pocket Auto Comparison Chart I would appreciate the information and will update the chart to the most accurate numbers. BTW the "empty" weight includes an empty magazine and measurements are made with the magazine inserted.

Bobo

If you enjoyed reading about "Rohrbaugh R9s: Why or why not?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!