Which type action do you like?

PDA

intercooler
October 31, 2011, 12:04 PM
I have in my mix SAO, DA/SA and Striker. Here is what my thoughts on them:

SAO- Best for a range gun. Love how it shoots the most of all with easy pull! Don't know about home defense though.
DA/SA- Good option for carrying or home defense with the DA if you are good with the controls during a panic situation.
Striker- Probably the better action to have for home defense or carry in a Semi. Pretty much a no-brainer type setup anyone can do without worry of controls. Not as bad as a DA but not as easy as a SA.

If you enjoyed reading about "Which type action do you like?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
2wheels
October 31, 2011, 12:10 PM
I prefer SAO, followed by either striker fired or DAO. All of my carry guns are SAO 1911 or 1911 style handguns, though I plan on adding a DAO hammerless revolver to the mix soon.

Not a big fan of DA/SA, I like one consistent trigger pull. Whether that's a short sweet 1911 SAO or a longer but smooth DAO on a revolver, I like every pull of the trigger to be the same as the last.

ATLDave
October 31, 2011, 12:18 PM
I voted SAO. I think it's no problem for home defense especially if, like me, you leave your pistol unloaded with a charged mag nearby, it really adds no complexity or difficulty versus a DA or striker-fired weapon - I'm going to be racking the slide either way.

gbelleh
October 31, 2011, 12:19 PM
Most of my carry guns are DAO or striker. But my HD guns are usually DA/SA.

M2 Carbine
October 31, 2011, 12:22 PM
Although I have a lot of DAO and striker fired guns, I don't like DAO.

Given the choice I'd rather the gun be DA/SA.

Even though I can shoot DAO OK (out to 50 yards) I look at using DA for speed and SA for accuracy.

So, if available, I prefer the gun be DA/SA.
I may not need SA often, but I want it there if I need it.

Lucky Derby
October 31, 2011, 12:26 PM
For a HD handgun I prefer a revolver over an auto, so I voted DA/SA. My HD gun sometimes sits for long periods untouched and I have more confidence that something unforseen will happen to a wheelgun than an auto.

BRE346
October 31, 2011, 12:41 PM
All my stuff is DA/SA. I'll work it either way. SA if I get a chance.

Skribs
October 31, 2011, 12:56 PM
I voted striker fired, but I like those and DAO the same. What is important to me is consistency between shots and no manual safety.

rcmodel
October 31, 2011, 01:12 PM
SA or DA/SA. Or just about anything but striker fired.

No preference as long as it has a hammer and firing pin.

rc

USAF_Vet
October 31, 2011, 01:36 PM
DA/SA then Striker.

Not a fan of SAO (unless we're talkin' wheel guns and since this is the Autos sub-forum, I assume we aint)

Not a real big fan of DAO, either.

Dogguy
October 31, 2011, 01:37 PM
I prefer any of the mentioned over SA only.

Fishbed77
October 31, 2011, 01:50 PM
DA/SA then Striker.

Actually, my favorite action of any of my non-target-shooting pistols is the AS(Anti-Stress) action of my Walther P99 - which happens to be both DA/SA and striker-fired. It's actually the best factory DA/SA trigger I've encountered, period.

daytodaze
October 31, 2011, 01:56 PM
Hard for me to answer. My glock 27 serves most of my self defense needs, but that's because it's also my carry gun. It's loaded up on my hip, or sitting on my desk while I sleep. The role could just as easily be filled by my sig p226 or my USP, but the glock is already ready to shoot. As much as I adore and recommend glocks... I find that I shoot the USP much better :/

The Lone Haranguer
October 31, 2011, 01:56 PM
No strong preference as long as I can shoot it accurately. IME, though, DAO and especially DA/SA are quite dependent on hand fit. If such a gun is too large for my hands my shots are all over the place.

allaroundhunter
October 31, 2011, 02:02 PM
The only one that I am not a huge fan of is DAO (like a Sig DAK variant). My preferences for the others are as follows:
1) DA/SA
2) SAO
3) Striker

chhodge69
October 31, 2011, 02:34 PM
I voted OTHER because of the way your poll is constructed. I prefer anything EXCEPT DA/SA triggers. As long as it's consistent any DA, SA or striker is fine with me, but I don't like a trigger that changes as you shoot.

My first choice, though is a crisp single action 1911.

intercooler
October 31, 2011, 03:13 PM
Those voting for SA what state do you leave it in for home defense?

2wheels
October 31, 2011, 03:20 PM
Condition 1, always.

ATLDave
October 31, 2011, 03:24 PM

Empty, adjacent to a a full mag.

TexasRifleman
October 31, 2011, 03:26 PM
SAO- Best for a range gun. Love how it shoots the most of all with easy pull! Don't know about home defense though.

Not sure why home defense changes anything, what's your point with that? You sense that it's more dangerous in the home than something with a heavier pull is that it?

intercooler
October 31, 2011, 03:47 PM
Easy for me. I could keep the SA chambered and cocked but on safety. Possibly full magazine seperate but under pressure and justant easy and safe as possible. This means xd striker or da/sa revolver

RX-178
October 31, 2011, 03:48 PM
I did the only thing I could and voted the same style of handgun as I carry (SAO).

It would make no sense to me whatsoever to choose a style of handgun OTHER than what you're most familiar, comfortable, and accurate with.

TexasRifleman
October 31, 2011, 03:50 PM
I guess I just don't understand why a striker fired gun is somehow safer than a SA in Condition 1. They are pretty much the same thing to me except you can't actually see that scary hammer in the striker models.

ATLDave
October 31, 2011, 04:02 PM
Well, TXRifleman, with the SA in Condition 1, you typically have an external safety... oh, wait, you were asking about the striker being safer than the SA! Nevermind. :evil:

JTQ
October 31, 2011, 04:05 PM
I believe a single action, in Condition 1 is safer than a striker fire pistol that has no manual safety.

I'm beginning to think the folks that are concerned about the safety of single action autos must think the single action auto's single action trigger is the same pull weight as a single action revolver or double action revolver or DA/SA auto in single action mode.

Most factory 1911 triggers I've used have had trigger pulls over 5 lbs and most factory Hi-Power's have been a pound or two heavier. That would put those pulls at or above the factory Glock trigger pull and way above the trigger pull weight of a single action revolver, or the pull of a double action revolver or DA/SA auto in single action mode.

I make no claims about triggers that have been modified by a gunsmith or the gun owner. I also acknowledge 1911's from a custom or semi-custom make will most likely have a trigger pull below 5 lbs., but 4 lbs. seems to be a common lower limit for a self defense 1911.

Dogguy
October 31, 2011, 04:12 PM
I believe a striker fired gun, when you keep your finger off the trigger, is safer than any SA gun when you put too much confidence in a manual safety (and grip safety for the 1911).

TexasRifleman
October 31, 2011, 04:13 PM
Nevermind.

So you see where I was headed lol. I just don't understand it.

Dr_2_B
October 31, 2011, 10:18 PM
I voted for striker fired, but could just as easily have voted double action only. I want anything in which every trigger pull is the same... and relatively heavier than single action. I believe this is the most defensible in court because every trigger pull is relatively heavy. Without getting into too much detail, I read an Ayoob article in which the opposing attorney accused the home owner of firing accidentally, which had no basis in truth whatsoever. But the motivation was simply that the homeowner's insurance would pay for an accident, but not a deliberate shooting. Sounds crazy, but my experience with lawyers supports this type of thinking.

TexasRifleman
October 31, 2011, 10:33 PM
Good article on trigger pull weights by Larry Vickers.

http://vickerstactical.com/tactical-tips/trigger-pull-weight/

And an interesting quote regarding heavy pulls on Glocks etc:

This sad state of affairs started as a byproduct of LE agencies that issued revolvers and relied on the long heavy double action trigger pull as a safety device.

And the t-shirt/bumper sticker soundbite:

Always keep in mind that a mechanical device is a poor substitute for safe gun handling.

The Lone Haranguer
October 31, 2011, 10:50 PM
How is "striker fired," by itself, an action? They can be SAO, DAO, pre-set strikers (e.g. Glock and Kahr), or even DA/SA. The mechanism by which the striker is cocked and released is the action.

TexasRifleman
October 31, 2011, 10:54 PM
How is "striker fired," by itself, an action?

When I see that I always just think people mean "Llke a Glock" which to me is single action but people look at me funny when I say that. :)

KAS1981
October 31, 2011, 10:55 PM
Any would be fine for me.

The DA or Striker fired pistols could be considered easier to use I suppose, since there is no need to swipe off the safety before using them.

allaroundhunter
October 31, 2011, 11:24 PM
The DA or Striker fired pistols could be considered easier to use I suppose, since there is no need to swipe off the safety before using them

Not to be splitting hairs, but the DAO/striker fired weapons don't necessarily lack an active safety. Some Smith and Wesson M&P's have thumb safeties, and there is a safety that can be added to Glock pistols.

Some people see the ease of these being that the trigger pull is consistent from shot to shot, with the Striker being more like a SAO weapon. The DAO guns typically have a second-strike capability in case you get a 'click' instead of a 'bang', but even when I'm using a DAO weapon, if I hear 'click' I perform a tap-rack-reassess-and 'bang' if necessary. If a round doesn't go bang the first time, I'm not going to give it a second chance. Clear it, and give a fresh round a chance.

Sergei Mosin
October 31, 2011, 11:36 PM
Single-action only. Train like you fight, fight like you train. I carry a 1911. When I'm not carrying it, it's my home defense gun. It stays in Condition One. Not a big fan of double-action guns, really dislike striker-fired pistols.

SwampWolf
November 1, 2011, 05:43 PM
I much prefer da/sa for a self-defense pistol. But years of experience and training with this action mode probably has an undue influence on my bias.

MidwestRookie
November 1, 2011, 06:07 PM
I hate double action..

Even on my DA/SA guns I just load the mag into the gun while it's in battery, and slingshot the slide to load the first round and skip the DA shot.

Hell, I even turned one of my 92's into SAO with the hammer and trigger from 2 separate 92 SAO models (Billennium + Steel I). So much better!

jmr40
November 1, 2011, 07:21 PM
Don't have a preference. Any can be mastered and used successfully. Each does have strengths and weaknesses depending on the intended use. The Glock type triggers are just fine as long as they are kept in a holster. Not my first choice for a nightstand gun.

chicharrones
November 2, 2011, 12:43 AM
I prefer a hammer fired pistol for home defense such as a DA/SA with no manual safety, but with a decocker.

exavid
November 2, 2011, 12:46 AM
For carry I like either DAO or an exposed hammer with DA/SA. Both types are safe to carry with one in the chute and no need for a safety or other bother. I do have an SR9 and SR40c that are striker fired but really prefer the action of my LCP and P345 for carry purposes since I don't have to rely on a safety to keep the gun from firing, that long DA trigger pull isn't something that you're likely to accidently do.

shiftyer1
November 2, 2011, 01:02 AM
For my house right at this minute I prefer a da revolver and have more scattered around than auto's. I like to shoot them single action but do pratice also with da.

For carry it's something 1911 styled or revolver. I do have a glock in my drawer at work but that's because thats what I was given. I'd rather have a revolver.

I like to have a manual safety on an auto pistol or more than one. Just a trigger safety doesn't seem right to me. For some reason revolvers with no safety don't bother me.

Nushif
November 2, 2011, 01:17 AM
My preference is as follows:

1. SAO
2. Striker Fired ala Glock
3. DAO ala Kahr
4. DA/SA

To me it isn't so much about the pull being light, heavy or what not, but I do like them consistent.

If you enjoyed reading about "Which type action do you like?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!