Redding Body Die(New Question)

PDA

JDGray
October 31, 2011, 06:41 PM
I just got done setting up my die, and had all my Federal cases set at .001" headspace, all chambered easily......Now, I sized a few Winchester cases, and without changing the die setting, all measured .005"!! Why would it matter what brass I size, as the die only touches the outside? Brass thickness shouldn't make it vary. Guess I'll have to fire some more Win brass and readjust accordingly, to get .001" with it.

The Fed brass has been loaded at least 10X, the Win brass is 1 fire. Probably different hardness coming into play.

If you enjoyed reading about "Redding Body Die(New Question)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
USSR
October 31, 2011, 08:26 PM
Probably different hardness coming into play.

Yep!

Don

steve4102
October 31, 2011, 08:55 PM

Maybe? Did you measure the fired cases with your headspace gauge before you resized? The Win cases may have been much shorter than the Fed before they made the trip to the sizing die. Fed Brass is soft and causes issues like this all the time.

JDGray
October 31, 2011, 09:25 PM
The Fed brass was fired before I shortened the headspace on my new barrel, it was actually .005" longer than the Win brass when I started. The rifle is a Savage, and the headspace was a bit long for the first range visit, but easily adjusted. I'll have to fire some more Win cases to reset the die, as all I have is new Win brass. The new stuff measures .003" short, so thats not too bad for unfired. Anyone know what max headspace is on a .308? I read .014" in my Lee manual, but that seems terribly loose.

Walkalong
October 31, 2011, 11:25 PM
Yep!Double yep. Different spring back from different brass. Take it to the bank. :)

kelbro
November 1, 2011, 01:18 AM
OAL was .005 different or the measurement to the shoulder datum line was .005?

JDGray
November 1, 2011, 06:25 AM
OAL was .005 different or the measurement to the shoulder datum line was .005?

.004 difference between the two brands of brass, while the die was set the same. The Win brass sized very easily compared to the old Fed brass. I'll get it.....Just alot more to keep track of compared to my old system of set it and forget it, with the Lee FLS:)

The Fed brass was .005 longer to start with, because it was fired before I readjusted my rifles headspace. I set my die using this brass because it wouldnt chamber in the rifle after the headspace adjustment, and I progressivly bumped the shoulder until it chambered freely, this gave me a nice .001" headspace on the sized brass which is what I was shooting for.

AC, copied your headspace gauge idea I seen in an old thread, works great!

If you enjoyed reading about "Redding Body Die(New Question)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!