41 Mag Target Load

PDA

BYJO4
November 3, 2011, 08:19 PM
I am looking for a lite target load for my S&W 657 using Unique and 215 gr. LSWC. I would like minimal recoil but maintain accuracy. Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

If you enjoyed reading about "41 Mag Target Load" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bush Pilot
November 4, 2011, 12:31 AM
Go to the revolver forum and find the "41 mag association" thread. Lots of good information there for people starting to load for the .41.

Steve C
November 4, 2011, 10:00 PM
For low recoil you need low velocity. With hard cast bullets you may get quite a bit of bore leading by going light unless your bore happens to be a perfect fit.

Any of the start loads that are found on Hodgdon's website shown below except for Auto Comp should give you a mild load. Accuracy needs to be determined through testing in your gun as no one can give you an accurate load that is guaranteed to work in your pistol. If you don't have any of the powders below you can try 6.3grs of W231 (start load from 7.0grs max) or 7.0grs of Unique about 10.3 grs is max.

I've used Trail Boss and its pretty mild but usually load the 215gr bullets to the old police load (950fps) or faster with Unique or W231.

I should add that I've yet to find a bad load in the .41 mag. Every load I've tried has shot well in all my .41 mags.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=152060&stc=1&d=1320454344

If you enjoyed reading about "41 Mag Target Load" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!