Forest Fire and deer movement

PDA

Skyshot
November 3, 2011, 08:51 PM
There was a forest fire next to an area I like to hunt, the fire was maybe a 100 acres or so. I have a stand placement with in 200 yards of the fires edge. I'm not going to hunt it this weekend but maybe next. I'm not sure how it will affect the the deer movement in this area. I have rattled in several bucks in past seasons from the area of the fire. Do you think I should hunt it or forget it?

If you enjoyed reading about "Forest Fire and deer movement" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TNboy
November 4, 2011, 12:22 AM
Scout it and look for sign, it should take but a few minutes to see if deer have returned to the area or not.

osprey176
November 4, 2011, 12:50 AM
I 've never had a problem hunting a burned area.Actually, I prefer to hunt them if the plants have started to grow back.This only takes a short time.The short,green growth will bring in deer if they are in the area,Set up near heavy cover,just like hunting a food plot.I have taken game in burned areas that were still smoldering.

Skyshot
November 4, 2011, 07:14 AM
There will be no growth this year, should be good next year. There aren't many acorns this year and that area was one that had some acorn mast as well as soft mast(grapes). Also that area had some good bedding areas for the deer.

Cob
November 5, 2011, 10:37 PM
Sometimes deer will move in immediately after the fire to investigate. If there are firelanes that were in place for fire containment, with fresh turned soil, that would be an easy place to check for fresh tracks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Forest Fire and deer movement" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!