CCW Pistol advice

PDA

davers
November 4, 2011, 08:29 AM
Hey gang! I've been working in Downtown Detroit for almost 2 years now, and I've finally had the wool removed from over my eyes! I work almost right smack dab in the center of the City, and someone mentioned that a person was stabbed out front of one of our buildings! This happened at 3:45 PM...roughly 15 minutes before I get off work. In researching this a bit to see if it were true, I found this depressing site! Crime Mapping (http://www.crimemapping.com/map.aspx?aid=0c6c72dd-7122-4509-b897-17f60e517d9d)

It turns out there is a LOT more happening than we were led to believe down here! Especially given the fact that the Detroit PD doesn't include homicides on that map. When asked, they said they didn't want to endanger any ongoing homicide investigations... :scrutiny: Not sure if I really believe that's the reason..

Anyway, I recently purchased a Beretta storm .45 for range use, which I reload for, but I personally think it's too thick, heavy etc for CCW. I'd like some recommendations that don't include Glock. (sorry, personal bias) No revolvers. Also, try to keep it under $1000 if possible. I'd prefer .45, but I'm open to most calibers. I carried both the 45 and 9MM in the service...so I've been brainwashed into liking them both. ;)

Thanks for any suggestions!!

Dave

If you enjoyed reading about "CCW Pistol advice" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
lobo9er
November 4, 2011, 08:38 AM
from my experience start with a 380 pocket pistol and work your way up. I started with a 357 snubnose for carry and wasnt able to carry it ALL the time. With a 380 its always on you. And after you pick up a bigger carry gun you will be so used to the 380 you will carry it with your new piece, it becomes like making sure you leave the house with your cell phone or wallet. just my rant

harmon rabb
November 4, 2011, 08:50 AM
Well, if you like 45, and like light and thin, you can end your search and buy a Kahr PM45. That's going to be the smallest and lightest 45 you'll find.

Kendal Black
November 4, 2011, 09:09 AM
In my opinion, the smaller the better, for urban wear, so long the gun is at least sort of adequate. I like .38 snubs. You said no revolvers; very well. There are, these days, plenty of 9mmP compact pistols that fill the same niche, including Beretta's Nano (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=620830&highlight=beretta+nano). I mention the Beretta because you presumably like Berettas. Or you could go with any of the other 9mm compacts from Kimber, Springfield Armory, Ruger, etc., etc.

I suggest this class of pistol because you will not be inclined to leave it at home due to its size. The small 9mm's are smaller than the smallest .45's.

Lawdawg45
November 4, 2011, 09:10 AM
+1 on the Kahr .45. I'd also look at the new Ruger LC9.

LD

MADDOG
November 4, 2011, 10:04 AM
My suggestions are
S&W--CS45
S&W--CS40
S&W--CS9
S&W--3913 or 3914--9mm
All are out of production but all are great concealed carry guns and available.
Good luck

moxie
November 4, 2011, 10:12 AM
S&W M&P 9c in an IWB holster, or a Ruger LCR in your pocket.

Skribs
November 4, 2011, 11:45 AM
There are tons of options for .45s under a grand, even excluding beretta and glock. Springfield XDm (my personal favorite), S&W M&P, Sig, CZ-97, FNP 45, Ruger SR-series, and several 1911s. I'm not sure if you can find HK pistols for under a grand, but they're too pricey for my personal taste.

If you want a revolver instead, get a Ruger SP101 or Ruger LCR.

If you want something smaller to pocket carry, get a Ruger LCP.

Zerodefect
November 4, 2011, 11:49 AM
Dan Wesson CCO
Colt CCO
Dan Wesson Guardian or VBOB
Kahr K9, Mk9, PM9, P9
HK P7, PSP, etc.
S&W M&P 340 revolver
Kahr P380

Happy hunting.

JTQ
November 4, 2011, 11:52 AM
Ruger has a couple of options that are relatively slim and lightweight full size pistols.

In 9mm is the SR9
http://www.ruger.com/products/sr9/index.html?r=y

In .45 ACP, the P345
http://www.ruger.com/products/p345/models.html

2wheels
November 4, 2011, 11:53 AM
I'll just rattle off what I know and like that falls within your criteria.

Open to 1911s? Colt Defender/New Agents tend to be around $800 or so and they make great CCW weapons. They're thin, lightweight, and pretty small (though not pocket carry small). They're available in .45 or 9mm, I've got a New Agent in .45 and love it.

I've also got a Springfield EMP in 9mm, another great 1911 but they go for over $1000 in most places.

DA/SA fan? My father carries a Sig P239 in .40 S&W (also comes in 9mm or .357SIG). They also generally go for around $700-800 or so, and his has been extremely reliable. They're single stack guns, so they're a bit thinner than that Beretta of yours.

In the striker fired category... Had a Springfield XD40 Subcompact that was my daily carry for over a year, super reliable and pretty small (though thicker than my 1911s). Only cost me $500 when I got it, they're probably a bit cheaper now. Only sold it when I got the 1911 bug to buy my EMP.

northark147
November 4, 2011, 01:09 PM
It might also help to acquire a decent belt and holster. My PX4 (granted its only the lowly 40 S&W) isn't heavy at all.

AJChenMPH
November 4, 2011, 01:36 PM
Depending on how you dress for work, you might be able to do the Px4 subcompact -- would be a good addition if you already have a Storm .45 as the feel should be about the same, just in a subcompact package.

In jeans or chinos with an untucked polo shirt or sweater, I can comfortably conceal a Glock 26 IWB on my hip. But if you have to a wear a tucked-in dress shirt, you may have to go with a pocket .380.

doc540
November 4, 2011, 01:46 PM
New convert here to the Ruger LC9.

Inexpensive
Concealable (very flat)
Accurate (amazingly so)
8 round capacity
External safety (if you feel the need)
Crimson Trace compatible

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/Ruger%20LC9/DSCN0199-1.jpg

first mag thru the gun
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/Ruger%20LC9/TargetLC9-1.jpg

SorenityNow
November 4, 2011, 02:43 PM
Colt commander. Im sure with your service exp that would work for you

davers
November 4, 2011, 02:54 PM
Wow! Thanks for all the replies guys! I appreciate it! It'll take me a bit to go through all these suggestions to see what's what!

Thanks again,

Dave

davers
November 4, 2011, 03:04 PM
Oh yea..almost forgot, I've heard a lot of bad things about 1911 pistols. FTF, FTE, etc etc. I bumped into someone at the range who had a Kimber, and he called it his Sunday range gun. Even after he had work done to it, it had too many failures to be considered for CCW. Is that everyone's experience with 1911's? I'd had to spend all that cash on a handgun, only to have to spend a lot more just to get it to feed correctly. I know we only shot ball when I was in the Army, but I don't really remember having any failures...

Thanks again,

Dave

harmon rabb
November 4, 2011, 03:38 PM
Oh yea..almost forgot, I've heard a lot of bad things about 1911 pistols. FTF, FTE, etc etc. I bumped into someone at the range who had a Kimber, and he called it his Sunday range gun. Even after he had work done to it, it had too many failures to be considered for CCW. Is that everyone's experience with 1911's? I'd had to spend all that cash on a handgun, only to have to spend a lot more just to get it to feed correctly. I know we only shot ball when I was in the Army, but I don't really remember having any failures...

Thanks again,

Dave
Ugh, I'll let someone else handle this one...

2wheels
November 4, 2011, 03:57 PM

Thanks again,

Dave
That hasn't been my experience, though with all the different 1911s out there you're are going to find people who've had bad experiences with 1911s.

Mine have been very reliable, especially the EMP.

CMC
November 4, 2011, 03:57 PM
I like the Kahr P9 9 mm , I dont like the smaller ones like the CW9 , the grip is to small for me.

Kimber quality control is a hit and miss , buy one you can test fire and make sure is reliable if you really want a Kimber.

JTQ
November 4, 2011, 04:11 PM
davers wrote,
...I've heard a lot of bad things about 1911 pistols...

...Is that everyone's experience with 1911's? ...
Not my experience. My Colt has been very good.

doc540
November 4, 2011, 04:21 PM
There's always the Colt Officer compact .45 to consider.

Reliable, accurate, and sure won't be depreciating any time soon.;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/DSCN0268-1-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/1911/Colt%20Officers%20Stainless/006-2.jpg

Shadow 7D
November 4, 2011, 06:32 PM
Simply
Shoot them, shoot them some more and realize that the smaller the gun
the bigger the round (or powerful)
the more recoil, better to hit than miss

So, once again, shoot them.

Zerodefect
November 4, 2011, 07:36 PM

Thanks again,

Dave

Cheaper 1911's are hit or miss. The best bet is to get a fairly pricey semicustom that would be worth investing in. Fixing it up to pure perfection as your tastes and experience grow. Then sending it off to a custom 1911 tuner that can put the finishing touches on it.

1911's from Dan Wesson, Ed Brown, Les Baer, Wilson, SVI, and STI are extremely reliable.

For example my build (one step ata time):
Dan Wesson Valor (100% reliable)
Tripp mags
Cut thumb safety
Sensitized grip safety
Cut grip safety bar so it can be removed without removing the MSH.
Stoned all the guts smooth
10-8 .156 rear sight
Dawson .110" front FO sight.
Thick tac diamond VZ grips

Then I'll send it off to Severns custom for refinishing so i can beat on it some more with a finish that hopefully hold up ok.

Plan2Live
November 4, 2011, 09:16 PM
Think long and hard about how you are going to carry and be realistic. Inside the Waistband, Outside the Waistband, Ankle Carry, Shoulder Holster, etc. Take a long look at photos like #22 above. See how far down the holster goes? Will you always dress in a manor that will conceal that? Or do you go IWB with tucked shirt and have to deal with pulling your shirt out then going for your gun? Lots to consider there.

Next, move on to caliber and action. Determine which of those you prefer or can live with. Everything involving conceal carry is a trade off.

Now you move on to size and weight.

By now you have narrowed the field down to fewer options which should make the decision process easier.

For starters, I like the suggestions for the S&W line; CS9, CS40, CS 45, 3913. All are single stack and definately not Glock. If you can live with Striker fired, look long and hard at the Kahr PM an Mk line, their smallest 9mms and the CW or K line, the next step up in size. Sig 239 is another great DA/SA single stack option but on the heavier side. Sig DAOs? Worked for Tom Cruise in Night and Day.

I also like the suggestion of starting smaller and working up to larger as you get better at carrying.

Oh and don't forget to check out the Holster Sub-Category at the top of the General Handgun Category. Scroll back a page or two and read several posts. Holsters are an entirely seperate tar baby.

Good luck!

robinkevin
November 4, 2011, 09:24 PM
I strongly recomend a p3at or lcp. These little .380 are great guns that I have found are very easy to keep on you at all times. With a large gun you are going to need certain holster and clothing to conceal. I had a XD40 and found it spent more time in the night stand then on me and when I need feel a need for me it was never close. My p3at I always have it near. For example in the summer I can slip it in my front pocket of shorts, during colder weather a leather pancake holster holds it tight and the light weight doesn't pull down my pants. In the evening when I may be walking around the house in just louge pants or a robe its light enough that its rides good in a light weight pocket of a robe or louge pants and if no pockets its not too hard to carry just in a waist band thanks to its light weight. As the 1st person to reply said you get use to it and you end up having it on you at all times, even tend to forget about it sometimes.

davers
November 5, 2011, 07:36 AM
Soo...I didn't want to say this at first because I've seen other people get flamed on another forums for it, but I guess I'll take my chances... :o I was originally looking at getting the Walther PPK:

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj109/Fiddlestix_Pix/WaltherPPK.jpg

I've always loved this gun. I know it's a .380, but I figure using 95 gr Winchester PDX-1 rounds would help. I personally wouldn't want to get shot with a .22 short, let alone a .380 PDX-1. PDX-1 test (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npJ1gXX6hBY) Then when I'm used to carrying this, I can step up if I feel the need like lobo9er suggests.

What do you think?

Thanks again everyone!

Dave

Kendal Black
November 5, 2011, 07:49 AM
Nothing at all wrong with a PPK. I prefer a .38 snub, but either serves the same purpose. I would feel as well defended with either.

Some of the S&W-built PPK's had a recall notice on them. Limited recall and limited concern. http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2009/02/smith-wesson-recalls-walther-ppk-and-ppks-pistols/

robinkevin
November 5, 2011, 10:06 AM
Honestly there is nothing wrong with a .380, I like revolvers but tend to rather carry a small semi over a snub due to the shorter sight radius of a snub revolver. Autos just always have longer sight radius over a revolver of the same size.

Though I would personally go with a Bersa over the Walther just due to cost of the pistol. A lot of people swear by Bersa and they seem almost the same.

lobo9er
November 5, 2011, 10:41 AM
check out bg 380 by smith and wesson. that was my choice i luv it.http://funreviews.net/uploads/1/BG380_thumb.jpg
http://funreviews.net/uploads/1/BG380_thumb.jpg
came down in price too.

ET
November 5, 2011, 10:43 AM
Oh yea..almost forgot, I've heard a lot of bad things about 1911 pistols. FTF, FTE, etc etc.
I wish that I had come to this site and asked the same questions as you. Then I might have resisted the urge to buy my first 2 guns, my Sigma 40ve & Taurus Mil Pro, and instead used that $700+ to buy a handgun that would have held it's value as well as protected my family. The Mil Pro has been flawless but the Sigma has been to the factory twice for a broken striker. S&W won't send me a new striker, they want the gun back. Both guns lost half their value before I cleared the parking lot of my LGS.

1000 bucks will get you one fine defensive handgun. H&K, Sig, Kimber, Springfield, Colt, to name a few, are fine choices in a 1911. I'd stick with a full size in that platform, since that is the original design. Tiger McGee, owner of Shootrite, says to go to another platform if you want a smaller carry gun because the 1911 design gets finnicky when shrunken down to accomodate smaller calibers and shorter slides. S&W, Glock, FN, Sig, H&K, among others, make fine smaller guns that $1000 would more than cover. Just remember, if it doesn't carry well for you, nor feel right in your hand, then find one that does. Don't compromise at this price range. $1000 will allow you to find that perfect gun. Hey it might be a revolver. You just have to search.

I own a Springfield 1911 Range Officer, which is built for competition more so than self defense, & it has been flawless the short time I've had it, but I protect myself with a Glock 27 as a concealed carry gun & a Glock 20, 21 or M&P 40 Pro at home or for open carry. The Judge & the Mil Pro don't get out much, I cuss my Taurus TCP & keep sending off my Sigma. Oh how I wish I was just starting out with $1000 in my pocket. I swear I wouldn't make the same mistakes. Oh, last but not least...don't blindly follow the salesmans suggestions. He just wants to sell you a gun. That's how I acquired the Sigma, Mil Pro, Judge & TCP... $1500 in guns that I don't particularly need & are now worth no more than half that.

OnTarget1911
November 5, 2011, 10:47 AM
That way when the bullets don't stop the BG at least when you hit them with it, they might stop...:what:

I know, but I am just not a fan of the .380. Get the slimmest, lightest, and not cheapest largest caliber pistol you can shoot well. Even a .22 is the best if that is what you can shoot the best. I personally recommend a minimum of 9MM when training someone new. But I have had ladies that shot the heck out of a 1911 and loved the .45. Best thing to do is go to a range and borrow or rent the closest thing they have to the gun you think you want and try it. Having said that, I would stay away from double stack guns for everyday for deep conceal and stick with a single stack. I personally carry a 1911 but love the Ruger LCR 9.

Jess

davers
November 5, 2011, 01:14 PM
Thanks again for the good advice everyone! I appreciate it!

Jess, what holster do you use for your 1911? Is it IWB?

I do shoot the 45 well...at least I think so.. :D My concern is that I don't want to print when I finally get my CPL. I also don't want my pants falling down all the time :p I would prefer to have 45 acp, but I'm concerned about other posts I've read about problems with the shorty 45's. I do like the Springfield EMP and GI with 4in barrel, the Colt Defender, not so much a fan of the trench sites on the Colt New Agent. I guess my confusion and concern comes from never carrying concealed. The other day, just to get an idea of what it would look like, I stuffed my Beretta in my belt and looked in a mirror just to see how big it is. It looked like I had a brick under my shirt at the 4 o'clock position. :o My 40 in waist doesn't help I guess... :uhoh: I've always wanted a 1911, and the smaller ones really seem to call out to me. Doesn't seem to matter what manufacturer, I just reallly want one! :rolleyes:

Dave

jeepguy
November 5, 2011, 06:12 PM
If you like .45acp i would look at smith&wesson 1911 commander. Scandium frame so its a little lighter plus i have heard & read that they dodn't have ftfs or fte. I carry my sig carry commander in a don hume owb holster & just let my shirt or coat cover it. My sig is great but being all stainles steel it is a bit heavy. The only thing i did to the sig is replace the recoil spring with a wilson combat spring wich was much better. .45 is exspensive but since you reload this shouldnt' be a problem for you.

towboat_er
November 5, 2011, 08:25 PM
I am quite content with my inexpensive CZ-82. I've put many rounds thru her, with no failures. Has enough weight to it, to make it pleasurable to shoot.
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w285/towboat_er/2011-05-15105909.jpg

1911 guy
November 6, 2011, 12:41 AM
I personally like the 1911 because of the ergonomics and how thin it is when compared to other autos of comparable caliber.

Having said that, I'd opt for one of the "major" brands like Springfield, Colt, Baer, etc. Especially Springfield. Did I mention Springfield?

The only exception to this "rule" is Charles Daly and Rock Island Armory, both are Armscorp. Nick-named Philipino Beer Cans, I've had a couple over the years and they have chewed through massive amounts of ammunition (one I currently own has well over 25,000 rounds through it), several classes and years of CCW and been as reliable as a $2,000 custom Springfield I usually carry.

Just be aware that it does require care and maintenance. You can't carry it every day and never clean it, or shoot it and not clean it for a week. Well, you can, but then you'll be on the boards here complaining about how unreliable your 1911 is.

Oh, and change the recoil spring every 1,500 to 2,000 rounds. My carry gun gets a new one every 1,000.

robinkevin
November 6, 2011, 10:40 AM
Just be aware that it does require care and maintenance. You can't carry it every day and never clean it, or shoot it and not clean it for a week. Well, you can, but then you'll be on the boards here complaining about how unreliable your 1911 is.

I think thats the issue most of the time when people complain about their weapons being unreliable... not always but a big part of it.

davers
November 6, 2011, 11:13 AM
Now I'm starting to find things I like!! :D I was thinking Kimber Ultra Carry, but I don't like that they need a tool to break them down. Does anyone have experience with the SA Fully Loaded?

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj109/Fiddlestix_Pix/SA_Loaded.gif

Dave

davers
November 6, 2011, 12:31 PM
Doh! Does the springfield need a breakdown tool too? :scrutiny:

Dave

2wheels
November 6, 2011, 01:05 PM
Doh! Does the springfield need a breakdown tool too? :scrutiny:

Dave
The EMP doesn't, I assume it will be the same for the Loaded.

tseabourn
November 6, 2011, 01:40 PM
Any pistol with a full-length guide rod will need a tool (ie Allen wrench), right?

I replaced the full-length guide rod on my SA Loaded with a standard guide rod -- no more tool needed!

Dr_2_B
November 6, 2011, 03:06 PM
...Taurus PT145. Very accurate, holds 10 rounds in a space that looks like it holds 6, a double stack mag in a grip thinner than many single stack grips, lifetime warranty, great price, amazing reliability, shoots any ammo you want to feed it, very light, can hide it in your hand if you have big hands, fits easily in a pocket but is still great to hold onto meaning it isn't too small to hold and the trigger guard is actually made for adult men, has a rail for mounting a laser, can change sights if you get the 3rd generation model (absolutely get that model - the first 2 generations had some problems), grip is not too long or too short, etc., etc

These are my thoughts about my PT145. I am frankly amazed that they can get 10+1 rounds of .45 in that small and ergonomic a package. However, my best friend who bought a consecutively numbered PT145 to mine has had huge problems with his. They seem to be a bit hit-or-miss on quality control. If you go with a Taurus, you'll spend a lot less, but you need to be ready to test it extensively first.

If I were in your shoes I would look seriously at a Kahr 45, specifically the PM45. I will soon be buying one myself. I just bought a PM9 because I, again, am amazed by the compactness and ergos of the pistol.

ETA: I can understand your love for the PPK, it is one beautiful and classic pistol. But, you can get more powerful defensive pistols in packages as small or smaller and lighter.

gordy
November 6, 2011, 04:59 PM
Sig 220.
Best pistol ever. And under 1,000 bucks

fasttheo
November 6, 2011, 07:24 PM
I've carried both PPK/S in 380 and a PPK in 32. Both are Smith & Wesson made, and neither has ever given me a problem. If you're still interested in a PPK, you will hear a lot of flak about the S&W models (and there have been plenty of lemons, don't get me wrong), but at least for me, I've never had a problem. Personally, I find the PPK in 32 to be easier to shoot, and less prone to jams, failure to feed, etc. In 380, I always found both Hornady XTP and Remington Golden Saber to feed reliably every time (fired probably around 100 rounds of both). I carry my PPK in my front pocket while working, and while it's comfortable to do so, be warned that the PPK is somewhat of a heavy gun. My previous job was a shirt and tie job, and I found that an IWB holster, with a sweater vest pulled down over it, was both comfortable and easy to access.

I love the PPK, it's a beautiful gun that I shoot very well, but there are definitely other options out there. I would suggest, no matter what model you choose, to think about getting it in stainless as opposed to blued. Good Luck!

Plan2Live
November 6, 2011, 07:36 PM
Even before I got "into" guns I've always been fond of the PPk. Maybe it's the whole James Bond thing, I don't know, but I've always liked the way they looked. And no, a Bersa isn't the same. A reproduction/kit AC Cobra is probably a better car than the original but I would still prefer the original.

With that said, a guy in my concealed weapons permit class had a PPk in .32. He held up the whole group while he and the instructor cleared jam after jam. He never got 5 shots in a row off without a jam. What should have taken 45 minutes to complete took nearly 90 minutes. I dang near got sunburned that day because I didn't wear a hat or put on sunscreen thinking the range session would be easy and short.

Still, the Walther is on my buy list. Way down past a bunch of other stuff but nonetheless, it's still there.

Jeb21
November 6, 2011, 09:23 PM
M&P 45c is a good gun. However, I agree that with a good belt and holster and some slight commitment to carrying you can carry your Storm easily.

1SOW
November 6, 2011, 09:43 PM
The Sig 239 in 9mm and/or 357 Sig (interchangeable bbls.)or 40cal. This is a reliable shooter that can be carried easily. All metal, will reach out accurately to 25yds easily, can be carried comfortably at almost any method/position is preferred.

Nothing breaks down simpler or faster. Likes most any type ammo. I don't work for Sig. I play with CZ.

I was born in Detroit, raised in Trenton. I would feel as secure with my Sig 239 as any pistol could make me feel in Detroit. That's an intentionally cautious statement.

PabloJ
November 6, 2011, 10:13 PM
Now I'm starting to find things I like!! :D I was thinking Kimber Ultra Carry, but I don't like that they need a tool to break them down. Does anyone have experience with the SA Fully Loaded?

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj109/Fiddlestix_Pix/SA_Loaded.gif

Dave

Dude he said Detroit Michigan not Jackson Hole Wyoming. Safety grip and slide lock safety.....:eek: please keep up with us.

ImjinScout
November 6, 2011, 10:26 PM
As was posted earlier, don't count out the 3rd Gen S&W, great guns. I carry the S&W6906 quite a bit in the warm months. It is a 9mm, double stack 12 rnds. The 3913 model is a single stack in 9mm and these guns shoot great, and these can be had for about $350.00.

In the winter months I carry my FNX .40 S&W, great gun also,

I just picked up a S&W 4566 TSW the other day and it's a great shooter too, a little heavy for CCW at 39 oz, but similar to a 1911 in weight.

Make sure that you shoot what ever you decide to get, to get a feel for it, IMO the smaller guns are harder to handle with the increased recoil and bullets on target are much more important than caliber. Good Luck in your search

vvanders
November 6, 2011, 10:28 PM
Sig 220.
Best pistol ever. And under 1,000 bucks

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6084/6125854694_6e7ff19ed1_z.jpg

Indeed :D

I'm a pretty big fan of the P220 compact, I carry mine in a MTAC when I can. It's a bit heavy but enjoyable to shoot and conceals well IWB:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6162/6176534261_2884bdf879_z.jpg

Stuff I like:
-No tools to take down
-No fussing with manual safety
-Can carry with the hammer down
-Pretty big fan the Sig decocker system
-Modern safety(firing pin block, and hammer block)
-All metal construction
-More accurate than I am
-Can use 8 round mags w/ 3rd party adapter.

Gripes:
-Wish I they made thinner grips or CT grips
-Can be a bit heavy to carry for a while

lobo9er
November 7, 2011, 07:48 AM
The ultra carry size guns are tempting. a friend of mine carries a para i think its the warthog.

davers
November 7, 2011, 08:36 AM
Hey Pablo..I'm trying to keep up! :) What do you mean?

Dude he said Detroit Michigan not Jackson Hole Wyoming. Safety grip and slide lock safety..... please keep up with us.

lobo9er
November 7, 2011, 06:02 PM
consider a pocket pistol if carrying when ever possible in all different types of social setting is important. In my opinion. For a 1000 bucks you have a lot of choices, also for 1000 dollars you could find 2 quality pistols.

lobo9er
November 7, 2011, 10:12 PM
good point cj 74

lobo9er
November 7, 2011, 10:18 PM
That sig 220 looks freak'n tough as nails. Are they as bulky as a berretta 92?

JustSomeDude
November 8, 2011, 12:59 AM
For a slim .45, check out the Kahr P45 or PM45. The trigger is revolver, not 1911, so find one to rent or borrow to see if you like it or not, but that's a great choice.

Dr_2_B
November 8, 2011, 06:14 AM
Hey Pablo..I'm trying to keep up! What do you mean?

Dave, I didn't quite get it either. Not a big 1911 fan, but that's one beautiful pistol.

SwampWolf
November 16, 2011, 03:23 PM
I carry a few different pistols and revolvers concealed, the choice of which one at a particular point in time dependent on the climate and social situation, but when I find myself unavoidably in a high crime area, a SIG model 220 Carry goes along for the ride in a quality iwb holster. The pistol is simple to operate, is reliable in the extreme, is chambered in a proven "stopping" cartridge (.45 ACP) and, due to its single-stack magazine configuration and alloy frame, is relatively slim (if a trifle bulky) and light-weight (when compared to, say, an all-steel, "Commander-sized" 1911).

Dean1818
November 16, 2011, 07:50 PM
For pocket carry CM9

For IWB M&P 45 compact

Awesome in a crossbreed

exavid
November 18, 2011, 12:55 AM
Consider the Ruger LCP .380 which is a great carry pistol. It's like the American Express Card, never leave home without one. Another choice to consider if you want a larger caliber is the Ruger SR40c. It's still quite small and the .40S&W is definitely a serious caliber. I usually carry the LCP though, it disappears in a Nemesis pocket holster in a pair of jeans or dress slacks. Simple too, like a revolver it's a DAO with a long trigger pull so no safety or other stuff gets in the way and there's no risk of carrying on in the spout for seven rounds on tap which beats out a small snubbie revolver. The SR40c carrys 10+1 if you want more firepower. The SR9c is a nice pistol but it's within a cat's whisker of the same size as the .40 caliper version so why not go for the gusto? You can buy both the LCP and the SR40c along with several boxes of ammo for each for 1k since the LCP is now around $290 and the SR40c close to $400. Both pistols have been 100% reliable for me.

frank c
November 18, 2011, 03:17 AM
S&W models CS9,3913,3914.Kahr pm9,sig p-238,beretta 84.I own and carry all of these pistols and they are great CCW guns.:)

Bobson
November 18, 2011, 03:36 AM
I'd love a 1911 someday, but I've come to the conclusion that a 1911 is more of a hobby than a practical weapon. As such, when I buy one, I won't be in the market for a weapon, I'll be in the market for something more along the lines of a fine example of ingenuity and craftsmanship - almost like art.

As for your weapon, OP, I'd look at testing some of the many guns designed around concealment. A subcompact Glock or XD, or one of the Ruger LC series.

PabloJ
November 18, 2011, 03:37 AM
If reliable the LC9 looks to fill requirements perfectly. Other choices include small 9mm from Kahr, the R9 and possibly new Beretta Mono or Nano. I would not bother with 1911 type pistol.

Dhotroddave3
November 19, 2011, 09:21 AM
I'M NEW TO THIS SITE BUT I'M A SMITH AUTO GUY(1-2-3 GEN) I'M ALSO A RETIRED POLICE OFFICER. MY CONSTANT CARRY AUTO IS THE VALUE 457S 45 STAINLESS AND ALLOY W HOUGE GRIPS. 3 1/2 BARREL, 7 PLUS ONE. SMALL VERY CONCELABLE AND COMFORTABLE, AND IF YOU NEED MORE THAN 8 RNDS, YOU MIGHT NEED MORE RANGE TIME, I'M ALSO A COLLECTOR OF THE ABOVE WEAPONS AND AMATURE GUNSMITH. JUST MY THOUGHTS YOU JUST HAVE TO FIND WHATS RIGHT FOR YOU. Dhotroddave

Bobson
November 19, 2011, 11:41 AM
Welcome to The High Road, Dave. No disrespect, but you might want to take it easy on the caps. Lots of people are going to skip over your comments if you post them all like this one.

Dhotroddave3
November 20, 2011, 07:28 AM
Bobson, Sorry about the caps,sometimes I forget they are on. I too am a NRA member, I'll work on that, along with every thing else I stated in my first thread, I had them on when I was trying to get my point across at a gun action site that was not listening to my complaint on a weapon I had just bought. also I didn't take it as direspect, like I said sometimes I just forget. Thanks for the advice. Dhotroddave3

gunguy0829
November 20, 2011, 04:29 PM
cz 82 9x18, small and ammo is cheaper than .380 and ballistics are better only by a hair but still better, can get a cz 82 for $200, give or take

smitty704
November 20, 2011, 05:11 PM
I vote for the M&P compact in any caliber, or if you want a full size, the M&P full size in any caliber. I prefer 9mm for CC, but thats just me. The M&P 9c's are amazing handguns, and are going down in price. I saw one today at the range for $519 and thats kind of average right now for an M&P.

I also love my G19 gen 4. It is now flawless with the new ejector, and RSA. The G19 is my EDC at the moment, and I can't see that changing any time soon. I carry it in a supertuck, and it is VERY comfortable. You can't go wrong with either platform, IMO.

smitty

MICHAEL T
November 21, 2011, 01:06 AM
Colt Defender or LTW Commander Both of mine reliable as can be. If want small KelTec PF-9 I have close to 500 trouble free rounds from mine. Small and lite.

jehicks87
November 21, 2011, 01:47 AM
Davers, for the money I would *suggest* you look at the Beretta nano. If I were getting into concealed carry and did not want to go with a glock, the Beretta Nano would be where I started. A slim, light, polymer-frame CCW in 9mm. The 9mm is generally considered the smallest "fighting caliber;" any smaller than that and you're getting into back-up gun territory.

Barring that, many good options have been tossed out. I just do not trust the .380 to stop someone as quickly as I would prefer them stopped, and with the smaller guns you obviously have less 2nd chances to change the BG's mind.

Personally, I love my Glock 36.

My $.02, and I even gave you a $.02 discount. ;)

davers
November 21, 2011, 09:11 AM
I watched a youtube video on the Beretta nano...it looks like a very reliable, compact gun in 9mm.

Thanks for all the replies everyone, very good information and suggestions!

Dave

STL73
November 23, 2011, 12:36 AM
Another vote for the Kahr PM45. This has been my go to gun for the last year or so. With the right belt and holster I almost forget about it. The gun is as accurate as I am, with a surprisingly manageable amount of recoil from a small .45..... Good luck in your search, lot of great carry pieces out there.

Hit_Factor
November 23, 2011, 08:31 AM
Thanks for any suggestions!!

Dave

Go to a gun shop, handle guns that interest you. Evaluate the feel and safety features. Try to shoot the guns you have narrowed it down to. Pick a gun you are comfortable carrying all the time. Buy it and a good holster from the gun shop that helped you the most.

Marksmanship with two or more good hits is more important than the caliber.

Close to 100% of the time simply brandishing a weapon stops the behaviour that is threating your life.

Wanderling
November 24, 2011, 04:33 PM
2OP: Do you work in RenCen ?

I always heard very good things about CZ75 Compact. One of the owners of a gun shop near my work carries it as his EDC and claims this is one of the most reliable and accurate compact guns he's shot. He carries it "cocked and locked". His store doesn't carry them so it's not like he was trying to sell it to me. I held it in my hands, it has a full size grip but is a very slim gun and should be easy to conceal while providing good ergonomics. I hate the chopped off grips like Ruger LCP or Glock 26 have.

Sgt_R
November 24, 2011, 04:50 PM
S&w m&p9c.

Autolycus
November 25, 2011, 07:24 AM
Since you ruled out Glock, then I would go with a Smith and Wesson M&P. I would really suggest you reconsider Glock and look at a Glock 19.

davers
November 27, 2011, 09:17 AM
Hey Wanderling...no...I work in the Compuware Building... right across the street from Campus Martius..

Dave

phil dirt
November 27, 2011, 04:36 PM
I carry my Smith and Wesson CS9 most of the time. It's a great gun. It's quite easy to conceal, is accurate and has never failed to go boom. About the only thing I don't like is that, for me anyway, it's a real pain to field strip and re-assemble. Maybe owning several Sigs has spoiled me.

GreyCoupe
November 28, 2011, 06:05 PM
There are several models of SIG pistols that you should look at...P220,226, 228,229, there is a new model, a compact 9mm. If I had to depend on it the way you describe, my choice would be SIG Sauer, without a doubt.

If you enjoyed reading about "CCW Pistol advice" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!