Question on neck sizing

PDA

archer1214
November 4, 2011, 02:54 PM
Ok, I have read the other posts,mainly the one about neck tension on .223 bullets loaded for AR's. It all made sense to me ,so I checked the expander ball dia. on my die and it measured .224. OK,so I took it out and chucked it up in my drill press and proceeded to sand in down using fine grit paper on a tounge depressor . Worked it till I got down to .218 and figured that's enough. So I sized 50 brass then checked the length,some need to be trimmed. Only thing is, the pilot bushing on my RCBS trimmer is .224,lol :banghead:. So I'm guessing I need to work that down too?
Thanks,Archer

If you enjoyed reading about "Question on neck sizing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
November 4, 2011, 02:59 PM
Nobody ever said it needed to be worked down to .218"!!

A .223 Rem expander needs to be about .002" to no more then .003" smaller then the .224" bullet to provide proper neck tension.

But since you already did it, I guess you need to sand down your case trimmer pilot now too.

But don't feel too bad.
I find most of my trimmer pilots are too big to enter sized brass and need to be turned down a little for some inexplicable reason?

rc

archer1214
November 4, 2011, 04:02 PM
Sory, My Bad:o...I meant to put .2218...Rc is understand your surprize,lol.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question on neck sizing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!