rebirth of the mustang pocketlite

PDA

ChargerGSD
November 4, 2011, 05:51 PM
I just read the writeup on gunblast and I am so excited about the return of this little gem. Does anyone have a good guess at what real street prices will be?

If you enjoyed reading about "rebirth of the mustang pocketlite" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bobo
November 4, 2011, 09:33 PM
I just read the writeup on gunblast and I am so excited about the return of this little gem. Does anyone have a good guess at what real street prices will be?http://www.coltsmfg.com/Portals/0/News/Colt_380_Mustang_Announce.pdf

Bobo

PRM
November 4, 2011, 11:18 PM
Cool. Hope they bring back the little Government Model also.

Nakanokalronin
November 5, 2011, 02:02 PM
I'll just copy and paste my reply from another thread...

I have a P238 and recently saw quite a few of the new Mustangs at my LGS. The new Mustangs look almost identical to the old one's with the same tiny sights and humped mag follower Sig went away from because of feeding issues.

It actually looks like Colt didn't change a single thing to improve the Mustang which was kinda surprising since they allowed Sig to make a direct copy (minus Sig cosmetics) and improve on the model like the feedramps, recoil springs and magazines. When handling the new Mustang the guy behind the counter said they haven't sold a single one since they got them in, but the P238s have been moving quite nicely. The price was also about $200 over the Sig as well which I find laughable.

IMO, get a P238. Sig did a direct copy and then actually did some R&D to improve it.

I like my Colt 1911s but IMO, you would be getting the same Colt Mustang with potentially the same problems people had before for a lot more money so you can have "Colt" stamped on the slide.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg10/scaled.php?server=10&filename=sigp238.jpg&res=medium

gbelleh
November 5, 2011, 02:12 PM
Looks like the Sig 238's MSRP is almost $100 more than the Colt. I can't imagine the street price of the Colt would be $200 over the Sig.

Nakanokalronin
November 5, 2011, 02:28 PM
It is at my local shops. The P238 can be had for $450 all day at online auction sites like Gunbroker, more at local stores. Some shops may not charge more but many will not go far below MSRP because they know the word "Colt" will have people putting out money over other brands. Add the fact that I can't see any evidence that Colt did anything other than start production back up with no improvements. They may have stated that it was "improved" but I think it was just the fact that Colt finally decided to get some new equipment which is why their current 1911s are better than the loose pistols they where for the past few decades.

When you see one show up at your LGS, let us know what the difference in price is over the P238.

txgunsuscg
November 6, 2011, 02:42 PM
A quick perusal of Gunbroker shows the Mustang at around the $675 mark, while the P238 standard models (not the Gambler or other special versions) starting around $450 and running up to about $580, so yeah, I'd say the Colt is running around $90 to $200 dollars more, depending on your dealer...

No Quarter
November 6, 2011, 05:18 PM
I think Colt got it right the first time and did not need to change a dang thing.

Great trigger, good sights, reliable and manufactured by a great American company that is one of the cornerstones of our American firearms heritage.

I will get one of the new ones for Christmas, along with an Officer's model .45. I loves me some Colt guns!

gbelleh
November 6, 2011, 08:24 PM
Hopefully the price will settle down after the initial rush. I would be very interested in one of these new Colts if the price was close to the P238, and it had the black finish.

ChargerGSD
November 7, 2011, 06:38 PM
Wow, really interesting comments on the 238 differences relative to the pocketlite. Man, why is nothing as easy as it appears to be at first? :)

vmr357
November 7, 2011, 10:23 PM
I was really excited about the Mustang coming back think that Sig had done such weird things with their P238. Then I saw this comparison http://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/SIGP238/sigp238.html and decided they are pretty much the same gun. It seem like the choice is between the Colt name and some modern sights. I'm liking the Sigs better than before.

Vern

If you enjoyed reading about "rebirth of the mustang pocketlite" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!