Full Size SD/HD Polymer Auto

PDA

Delta959
November 4, 2011, 06:40 PM
Hey all,

I recently discovered that I won't be able to have steel or nickel guns. My sweat just destroys any metal (other then aluminum). I burned through 2 nickel plated and one parkerized 1911s in the last few months, all rusting/tarnishing to hell after a few days. I formally had a SR9c and could not shoot it well. So now I'm looking for a full size SD/HD polymer auto, preferably under $600. I'd like to get a 10mm, but I'm also a 45ACP fan as well. I want a light rail as well. Any suggestions of what my options are?

I've played with a Glock 20, but it was too thick. I haven't tried looking for a 20 SF model, but the 21SF fit much better. I also recently fondled a CZ75 SP01 PHANTOM, and that was awesome.

I'd love to get any info you guys have!

Thanks,

Delta

If you enjoyed reading about "Full Size SD/HD Polymer Auto" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
thefamcnaj
November 4, 2011, 07:10 PM
The Springfield xd 45 is a fine choice for a hd/sd polymer 45acp. Imho its the best feeling polymer gun in the hand. I had the g21 sf and just couldn't make myself like the grip. Nothing against glock at all, I own a few.
It holds 13+1 and has steel magezines and steel guide rod. It does have the palm saftey, which I'm guessing doesn't bother you since you own 1911 platform guns.
Out of all the polymer 45's I've owned(hk 45 usp tactical, m&p45, glock 21) I was the most accurate with the xd 45. Its also with in your price range of 6 hundred, with or with out the thumb saftey. Lastly I've never had a malufunction of any kind from a SA product. Good luck

tahunua001
November 4, 2011, 07:42 PM
I own the springfield XDM45 and it's more accurate than most 9mms and has yet to fail me. I've loaded every kind of dirty ammo from WWII spam can ammo to winchester white box...believe me when I say that it will shoot ANYTHING that you put in it.

it has a light rail and I would never suggest a glock over an XDM but that's personal preference

TexasRifleman
November 4, 2011, 07:55 PM
Very happy with .40 XDm I got a couple of years ago. I wish I had the .45.

The Lone Haranguer
November 4, 2011, 08:00 PM
Smith & Wesson M&P. It has none of the ergonomic shortcomings of the big Glocks. It is available in .45 Auto or .40 S&W. (The latter cartridge has the same ballistics as the downloaded 10mm as adopted by the Fibbies.)

labhound
November 4, 2011, 08:23 PM
Beretta PX4, polymer, comes with a rail and in either 9mm, .40 S&W or .45 ACP.

jmr40
November 4, 2011, 08:35 PM
Look at FN. http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firearms/family.asp?fid=FNF020&gid=FNG001

Delta959
November 5, 2011, 01:49 AM
Whats the lowdown on FN? Is it worth the extra cost? how are mags and other bits and pieces (like after market parts)?

james_bond
November 5, 2011, 01:59 AM
another vote for the XD-45

Valkman
November 5, 2011, 02:26 AM
XD-45's, one regular 4" and one a Compact 4"

http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/oo80/DLKnives/XD45/BothXD2.jpg

miles1
November 5, 2011, 08:27 AM
A good plain old springfield XD45.It points great,very reliable,easy takedown,and has a rail system.

jackpinesavages
November 5, 2011, 08:36 AM
Go with the Gen 4 G21sf, and then grab yourself one of these eventually...

http://www.storm-lake.com/products/barrel/builder/GL

mesinge2
November 5, 2011, 09:10 AM
I use my XDm-45. A lot to be said about 14 rounds of 45 ACP in a gun with nothing to worry about in the middle of the night but a trigger.

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc401/mesinge2/My%20heaters/My45ACPSpringfieldArmoryXDm-451-1.jpg

Averageman
November 5, 2011, 09:12 AM
Car Wax.
Pick a pistol you like and put a nice coat of turtle wax on it and it wont rust. I suffer from the same acid sweat and this has kept my 1911 from corrosion issues. once or twice in the Summer is all it takes to keep mine nice.
That being said I like the H&K USPC I picked up, it is kind of "blocky", but less so in my hand than a Glock. Mine has never had a single issue.

M2 Carbine
November 5, 2011, 12:05 PM
Beretta PX4 Storm.

Pilot
November 6, 2011, 06:54 AM
I also recently fondled a CZ75 SP01 PHANTOM, and that was awesome.

I think you found your answer. The CZ's are accurate, reliable, high capacity with excellent service and support. They really fit the hand well also.

jmr40
November 6, 2011, 10:23 AM
Whats the lowdown on FN? Is it worth the extra cost? how are mags and other bits and pieces (like after market parts)?

The FN is only about $30-$40 more than Glock around here, but they come with 3 mags instead of 2, so that evens up the price some. Glock magazines are cheaper and easier to find.

The FN is still a big gun, but with the smallest backstrap in place it is easier for someone with small hands to handle. Look at the photo of the bottom gun in the FN link above to see one with the small backstrap. It is 15+1 instead of Glock's 13+1 if that is important.

Personally I like both guns a lot. Would probably go Glock if I had to choose simply because I have more experience and confidence in the platform. But the FN pistols are great too. If you don't care for Glocks, and I realize many don't, the FN provides a lot of gun in a more conventional package.

wbwanzer
November 6, 2011, 10:50 AM
How about an XDm (already mentioned above) or the FNX. I've had the XDm for a few years now and I've had zero problems with it. I would not hesitate to rely on this pistol if need be. I've added FO sights and X-Treme rubberized grips since this picture was taken.

No probelms with the ambidextrous FNX either, but haven't had it as long as the XDm.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m145/wbwanzer/SpringfieldXDm001.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m145/wbwanzer/FNX-9003.jpg

robinkevin
November 6, 2011, 10:57 AM
I had a XD40 and just really wasn't crazy about it... Great gun but just not for me. Recently shot a buddy's M&P and it just felt great in my hand and shot great... I think both can be had in .45...

Actually try both M&P and XD one of them is bound to fit you... remember both the XDm and M&P have different backstraps so you can tailor it to your hand and grip.

bds
November 6, 2011, 08:40 PM
Both S&W M&P and Sig 1911s are made from stainless steel regardless off the finish they come with.

Does your sweat destroy stainless steel?

FWIW, M&P's Melonite is similar to Glock's Tenifer and Sig's Nitron finish is also very durable and should help resist corrosion.

3KillerBs
November 6, 2011, 08:49 PM
Smith & Wesson M&P. It has none of the ergonomic shortcomings of the big Glocks. It is available in .45 Auto or .40 S&W. (The latter cartridge has the same ballistics as the downloaded 10mm as adopted by the Fibbies.)
My DH seconds this.

He loves his M&P 9mm -- except in the summer when its a little too big to conceal in t-shirt and shorts.

Delta959
November 7, 2011, 02:16 AM
Thank you all for the info! I went down to my LGS and fondled all of the suggestions you guys gave.

XDm
The XDm was really sweet, but all they had were the 3.8 9/40, and that long (5.25?) 9mm competition one. So I'll hold off on judging the XDm. They had a regular XD 45 full size and it felt oddly balanced. Also, christ is the regular XD ugly to me.

PX4
The PX4 was ok, I don't have any complaints but it didn't get me excited in any way. (which I'm sure sounds dumb, but if it doesn't get my juices going, I'm not buying it)

FN
The shop only had a FN 45 tactical (Tan frame/slide, spot for a red-dot, $1000 range) so I didn't really get to handle anything in my price range. But it was a nice gun!

M&P
Liked it well enough, felt good in hand, didn't really care for the trigger (I'm sure i would warm to it with use)

Right now, it's looking like a tie between the XDm, I really liked the feel of the 5.25, and (counter intuitively) the CZ75 SP-01 Phantom. Loved that thing.

Pilot: Thats good advice, I fell a little in love with that. I may hold off on getting a 45/10mm once my finical situation has improved (9mm being so much more reasonable)

BDS: Yeah, I'm pretty rough on everything. Except aluminum apparently, as I carry a S&W 642 J Frame everyday and shoot it often, and my Macbook is aluminum and I have a ton of use on that.

Averageman: I'll have to try that! Never would have thought of that.

jackpinesavages: Didn't realize that would work. Does one have to switch springs?

Fishbed77
November 7, 2011, 01:22 PM
Walther P99AS all day long.

Bozwell
November 7, 2011, 01:29 PM
I don't think you can go wrong with the Phantom, especially since you already said it was very comfortable in your hand. I have one and it's a very nice gun. The triggers on them clean up very nicely too. Mine has a grit-free SA just shy of 3lb's and it breaks like a glass rod (thanks to cajun gun works). I'm a few thousand rounds into it at this point and it hasn't had a single malfunction.

Mikey Idaho
November 7, 2011, 01:41 PM
Those are all amazing guns, lots of personal preference involved but personally after my long search I went with the M&P, and am picking up an FNH FNX here in a week or two, love that thing.

If you enjoyed reading about "Full Size SD/HD Polymer Auto" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!