Deer hunting calls, etc.

PDA

acmax95
November 5, 2011, 08:17 AM
I was just wondering what type of calls you guys take into the woods with you when you go deer hunting w/ a rifle.

I have hunted a few times with no luck and I never use any calls or anything. All I take with me is my rifle, binoculars, and my knife.

I was thinking of picking up a call or two and maybe some rattling antlers to take with me this year.

If you enjoyed reading about "Deer hunting calls, etc." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jason_W
November 5, 2011, 09:31 AM
I'd be interested in hearing some answers as well. I've used calls, scents, and rattles with little luck.

I've had the scents cause a few does to pause, and once it brought a young spikehorn (not legal where I was hunting) running carelessly.

For the most part though, calls and scents have done nothing for me.

buck460XVR
November 5, 2011, 12:05 PM
It depends on where you are hunting. Calls and rattling work at times of the year when bucks are used to hearing these sounds. They also only work on deer that have not been pressured or spooked. If you are fortunate to have a large parcel of land with little or no pressure during the open gun season, they may work for you. If you are hunting areas that the deer know the season is on and are doing their best to avoid contact with humans, the calls and rattling may do more harm than good. Same is true for attractant scents. They may work when deer are using natural movement and patterns, but once they feel the pressure of the hunt, they tend to associate these smells with humans(cause everyone in the woods is using them). Cover scents are more a confidence thing.....they may or may not give you a split second more to make a shot, or they may alert the deer to your location and make them sneak off before you see them. It too depends on their exposure to how many others are in the woods and the scents they use.

Freedom_fighter_in_IL
November 5, 2011, 02:05 PM
To add on to what buck460xvr said, It heavily depends on what time of year it is to what calls and scents to use. As far as rattling goes, that is best used Pre-rut and right at the beginning of rut. After the rut is full on, the dominant bucks are usually already locked up with Does. Scents on the other hand can do MUCH more harm than good when used at the wrong time of the year. Also using the wally world specials will only attract the young stupid bucks. Quality scents are well worth the extra money that you pay for them. You must also use them at the proper time. Using a "Doe in heat" estrus scent too early will actually spook a mature buck. Say during pre-rut, you want to use a "familiar" scent such as "deer in a bottle". It is basically just urine and dander collected from several RELAXED deer and that signals a buck that it is ok to enter the area. Another fantastic pre-rut scent is a buck urine soaked tarsal gland! I've killed more mature bucks over that lure than anything else combined. When you see heavy scrapes and such it is time to put one of those out.

When you see the bucks are starting to chase the does, then it is time for an estrus scent. Again, quality scents are needed here to catch the nose of a mature white-tail buck. Find a scrape line that has been freshened recently and hang your scent.

Calls are hit and miss. Vocalization is important as well as tone. Again, quality calls are worth the money. Get yourself an audio recording with the different vocals to learn what you are doing. A good grunt tube with a "snort wheeze" is great for pre and beginning rut. Learn the tending and challenging grunts. Another little beauty that I first thought was just a gimmick but turned out to be a gem was the Primos call "The LIL Can". It works great for early bow season. There are a ton of calls on the market, some work great and others just lure your wallet.

Just like turkey calling, it takes practice to get proficient and actually mimic deer. The language is not really THAT complex but getting a really good tone at the proper time is what you need to learn. Wrong thing "said" at the wrong time will make a mature buck change zip codes :)

Good luck and safe hunting

Jason_W
November 5, 2011, 03:38 PM
Are there any curiosity scents that will work regardless of whether or not the rut is on? Will that deer in a bottle stuff also get them to check out the area during the rut?

What I'm looking for is something that will make a moving deer stop for a few seconds in a place where I can line up a shot.

CSA 357
November 5, 2011, 08:16 PM
The only times i ever called in a deer with a call they always circle around down wind and its all over, called in a nice buck one time and he circled around to my tracks were i came to the stand and went back the way he came, im sure there are times that they work

RevGeo
November 6, 2011, 10:22 AM
I've had a little luck getting deer to stop for a second by using a cow elk call.
I'm gonna try rattling for the first time this year. The bucks are just starting to go into the rut here and I want to see how it works out. Any suggestions?

George

Lloyd Smale
November 7, 2011, 08:12 AM
Rattling may work in an area with a high buck to doe ratio but around here its the other way and the bucks have plenty of does and probably arent looking for a confortation to get more. Scents may attract deer but in my experience when rattling or using scents the deer come in alot more wary then without them. Ive tried about all of them but will say this. For the 7 bucks or so a bottle of scent cost your better off buying a 5 lb bag of apples.

If you enjoyed reading about "Deer hunting calls, etc." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!