Iver Johnson Sealed Target 8

PDA

cleardiddion
November 5, 2011, 04:34 PM
So yesterday I walked into one of the local shops here and managed to find a fairly decent condition sealed 8 for a reasonable price.

Not the prettiest nor the most fancy of wheelguns but I've been itching for one just to have around. Plus, it's dirt cheap to shoot!

Everything was all and good till I got home and started going through the sop of detail cleaning all my new acquistions. Everything seemed to be going alright till I tried to get the hammer and mainspring back in.

I just can't seem to get it to work. I can put the mainspring back into the frame and try to push down on the hammer to get it in but that seems to fail. The other thing that I tried to do was to put in the hammer first and try to put in the mainspring; but, what happens then is that the spring hops in between the hammer and sear and actually binds up the mechanism.

I tried using my google-fu to try to find instructions but only seem to run across threads on how much these things are worth. If any wheelgun gurus would happen to know where a set of disassembly/reassembly instructions are I would greatly appreciate it. Otherwise I guess I go back to the shop and see if they can help put it back together for me (for a fee).

Thanks greatly in advance!

If you enjoyed reading about "Iver Johnson Sealed Target 8" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Carl N. Brown
November 5, 2011, 05:09 PM
Is this one of the Model 50 thru 57 series with coil mainspring?
OR is this one of the earlier models with a flat mainspring?

For the coil spring model.
The NRA manual shows small grips with side screw or large grips held by a grip screw that enters the back of the frame. With the grips removed, there is a hole at the lower back of the frame that allows access to the mainspring adjustment screw.
Unscrew mainspring adjustment screw until it stops. Remove hammer screw. Hold trigger back and remove hammer. Remove mainspring and mainspring plunger through top of frame.

Reassemble in reverse order. (Yes, that old chestnut is not always helpful, but that's all I have found.)

Reassembly should be easier if the mainspring adjustment screw is backed out reducing the compression required on the spring when replacing the hammer. Then retension the mainspring by turning the mainspring adjustment screw in.

cleardiddion
November 5, 2011, 05:28 PM
It's the older model with the rounded front sight and with the flast mainspring. And as far as I can see there isn't even a hole for a mainspring adjustment screw much less the actual screw itself.

Carl N. Brown
November 5, 2011, 08:33 PM
This is about all I could find showing the Iver Johnson with a flat mainspring (it does not require an adjustment screw). The diagram does show positioning of the flat mainspring in the older model. Hope this helps.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=152102&stc=1&d=1320539371

Stumper
November 5, 2011, 09:38 PM
Not to be a smart alec or rain on your parade..... but I find the best detail strip on most revolvers is obtained by removing the grips and sideplate( if applicable) and douse it with brake parts cleaner, cycle and repeat several times then allow to dry and apply a good lubricant. It is possible to flush out all of the crud without disassembly and the inherent problems that may arise in an unfamiliar lockwork.

cleardiddion
November 6, 2011, 11:42 AM
Carl, that's pretty much my revolver with just a slightly different firing pin/hammer configuration.

This should help a lot!

cleardiddion
November 7, 2011, 02:28 AM
That picture was a lifesaver.
/facepalm
Turns out that I was trying to put the mainspring in the upside down.
/facepalm

That's what I get for not researching and then trying to take apart a new gun; then, having springs pop out life one of those joke can snakes.

If you enjoyed reading about "Iver Johnson Sealed Target 8" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!