Recent Diamondback opinions?

PDA

Smythley
November 5, 2011, 04:48 PM
I've lurked here for several years, but this is my first post. I'm looking for a pocket pistol. I had shot the Keltec and the LCP. I have handled a DB380, but not shot it.

I know there were a ton of problems with the DBs when they first came out. Now they've been out awhile, have they gotten better. Anybody gotten one recently?

I'm definitely not a huge fan of the. 380 but I want a true drop.in my pocket pistol. The Kahr CM9 has also caught my eye, but can't find anyone local that's got one.

Any opinions/feedback would be great. Thanks for your time.

If you enjoyed reading about "Recent Diamondback opinions?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hAkron
November 5, 2011, 07:31 PM
Of the Keltec, Ruger, Diamondback lineup, I have handled most and shot none. From my completely naive uninformed opinion, I like the grip of the Ruger LC9 the best

bimmerland
November 14, 2011, 04:20 PM
Just handled all three. If you like a light trigger pull and a glock like operation. The DB380 fits the bill. It had the shortest pull of the group and is striker fired just like a glock but in 380 caliber. It is the one glock could not make... YMMV

Nakanokalronin
November 14, 2011, 05:36 PM
I've owned 2 KT P3ATs, one DB380 and shot an LCP.

The one with the least amount of recoil is the LCP followed closely by the DB380.

The most compact and pocketable is the P3AT.

The best customer service of the 3 is the P3AT.

The best trigger is a toss up between the P3AT and LCP.

I personally use a P3AT as a secondary pocket carry gun. My second P3AT and PF9 have better triggers out of the box than my original P3AT/PF9 so I'm not sure if KT improved it over time. I like the checkering on the P3AT over the other 2 models in question
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg337/scaled.php?server=337&filename=p3at2.jpg&res=medium

The DB380 I owned had trigger issues after 25rds. The grip allowed a high hold (a high hold is my preferred grip) yet that led to the slide slicing my hand due to the abrupt grip tail. The magazines barely ejected and the trigger was pretty long, breaking right before the frame. The grip angle is also not well executed which had me raising the front sight up every time I brought it to eye level.

My Dad owns a LCP. The grip is a tad thicker than the P3AT but smoother so it isn't as effective as the P3AT. The lock back feature of the LCP is a nice feature but since it's not a true slide stop by activating on the last shot, its not important.

My usual pocket carry is a P238. Best sights,trigger,feel,look,recoil,magazines and features. All this combined makes the little P238 shoot as well and accurate as a full size handgun. The cocked and locked feature of the P238 with a SA trigger is my personal preference since a Kimber Ultra Carry and Solo are my winter/summer carry guns. It has a real slide stop with magazines that eject with authority.
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg10/scaled.php?server=10&filename=sigp238.jpg&res=medium

Hope some of this helped. Any questions, just ask. ;)

FMF Doc
November 14, 2011, 09:54 PM
I own and sometimes carry a DB380. It is an adequate pistol. The fit and finish are not the best, and mine did not like almost any JHP. However, when small was the rule of the day, I would load it up with flatnosed WWB and feel armed. I also have an LC9, and know that it is noticeable larger than any of those 380s. Good luck with your choice.

kokapelli
November 15, 2011, 02:23 PM
I owned one of the early Diamondbacks and it was the most unreliable gun I have ever owned.

I sent it back to Diamondback and they replaced a bunch of parts in it and was still the most unreliable gun I have ever owned.

If you enjoyed reading about "Recent Diamondback opinions?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!