First time out with the SR40c

PDA

Psa1m144
November 6, 2011, 07:01 PM
Just took my brand new SR40c to the range for the first time today. I am very impressed and disappointed simultaneously. The gun fits my hands perfectly, far more accurate than my Glock 22 and reasonably soft shooting for a 40cal however... every other round was a FTF:cuss:. Needless to say this got very frustrating. I was hoping it just needed some breaking in but after 150 rounds of 180grain it was still jamming up just as bad. Look like I'll have to call Ruger tomorrow, I have no doubt that they will make it right but I hate to have to give it up for a few weeks while they work on it :( Even with the feeding issue I am still in love with this gun, I am determined to get it running properly because I am hoping to make it my EDC (which won't happen if I can't rely on it 100%):banghead:

Guess I just needed to vent...

If you enjoyed reading about "First time out with the SR40c" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Radar3006
November 7, 2011, 02:22 PM
Did you clean all the Ruger greese out before you shot it? Before I ever shot my sr9c I cleaned it real good including the striker and removed the magazine disconect and used Tetra gun greese on the slide and then cycled the slide 50 times or so before I shot it and have not had any problems with it...

Psa1m144
November 7, 2011, 03:08 PM
Yes the gun was cleaned and oiled before firing. Just got off the phone with a Ruger technician and he is having me send it in for service.

Psa1m144
December 21, 2011, 10:45 PM
So I finally got the gun back from Ruger. The note left in the box said that they "repaired the extractor" and then test fired 60 rounds with "no failures" using my magazines. Needless to say this was a huge relief. I took the gun out to the range and....it jammed after the 3rd shot. It's doing the same thing it was before, the cartridge is not going all the way into battery. There is no way they test fired it 60 times.

I have a feeling that they are going to tell me that it's the ammo, so I cleaned it EXTREMELY well today and made sure it was well lubricated before trying to cycle 3 different types of ammo (Rem UMC FMJ, Winchester JHP, Federal Champion FMJ). Check out the pictures below, this is what is happening 50% of the time when I try to chamber a round or when the gun is cycling, with each type of ammo. I guess I will have to call Ruger again tomorrow.:(

Jackal1
December 21, 2011, 11:00 PM
No offense intended, I do not know you nor your skill level with a handgun.

Do you have prior experience shooting a .40cal? If not, have someone else with more experience try shooting it and see if they have the same issue. I had regularly shot 9mm and .45ACP but when I first shot .40 I was limpwristing it b/c of the more severe recoil. You have to hang on a little tighter to a .40 compared to the 9mm or 45.

The images you show could be from limpwristing, but it could also be from a rough feedramp. Check if there are any rough ridges on the ramp. If so, flitz them.

Cheers.

NWcityguy2
December 21, 2011, 11:50 PM
I don't think it is from limp wristing and I'd be very skeptical that it is the feed ramp either. If the previous cartridge ejects you are holding it firm enough and I can't see how limp wristing would cause a jam when you are manually cycling it (at home no less). A rough feed ramp is going to cause problems at the feed ramp. What you are seeing is a 3 point jam where the round is lodged under the extractor, on the top of the chamber and half way in between.

If you are so inclined, take a look at these pictures. They are from my SR9c, which is very similar. The extractor is easy to take out and inspect. Look at the in picture 4 with the arrow pointing to it. A burr there would be a likely culprit if this jam is extractor related.

I started getting more into the function of my guns once customer service failed to fix it after 3 weeks. It was 3 point jams but mine were being cause by the barrel and barrel bushing (1911) being way too tightly fit together.

If you do this, remember the 2 rules of home gunsmithing.

1. Do no harm
2. Lose no small parts. I store all mine in a white china bowl.

NWcityguy2
December 21, 2011, 11:51 PM
One last pic.

Psa1m144
December 22, 2011, 12:40 AM
It's definitely not limp-wristing, I've been shooting .40 for 3 years and about 90% of all shooting I do is with my .40s. My primary gun is a glock 22. Plus, there has been absolutely no issues with ejecting(ie stovepipes), only feeding. I can't blame you for assuming that it could be limp-wristing because that can cause a similar issue.

NWcityguy2: Thank you a bunch for the pics, I will inspect my gun tomorrow for a burr. Given Ruger's track record with customer service I was very confident they would take care of the issue...I guess no one's perfect.

Did you drive the pin from top to bottom?

NWcityguy2
December 22, 2011, 08:18 AM
It comes out both ways. I find it easier to puch it in and out from the top.

Mike J
December 22, 2011, 10:51 PM
I can't really contribute any experience to tearing into something like this but I thought this link might be useful if you decide to go that route. http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=52057

Caliper_RWVA
December 23, 2011, 12:42 PM
Try taking a look at the breech face for a burr around the firing pin hole, or just polish the breech face for good measure.
Might also look at the chamber. Is the cartridge rim hanging up on the chamber mouth or the bullet nose hitting the roof of the chamber?

Psa1m144
December 23, 2011, 02:28 PM
NWcityguy2: I removed the extractor and saw a possible burr. Not sure if I trust my gunsmithing abilities enough to fix it myself. If I push the rear of the extractor when a jam occurs then the round will chamber. Not sure if this means it's 100% the extractor or a combination of issues. FYI, on the SR40c the pin holding in the extractor must be driven from bottom to top, there is a lip on the top of the pin.

Mike J: Thank you for the link, that is sure to be helpful in the future, I bookmarked it. That is a great resource.

BluEyes: The breach face looks smooth. I'm not able to get a good enough look at the chamber mouth and I don't know how to tell if it's hitting the roof. I don't see excess copper fouling there so that may indicate it's not an issue.

NWcityguy2
December 23, 2011, 10:21 PM
Yeah pushing on the back and it chambering would lead me to believe this is an extractor issue, too bad that in and of itself isn't a fix though. If you want to send this back to customer service it's completely understandable, but removing a burr is a quick fix and very unlikely to damage your part.

The quickest fix would to see if it could be buffed out without and sanding. Some kind of buffing pad in a dermal/cordless drill with regular buffing compound should do the trick. If that doesn't help some fine grit sandpaper, say 400, would take off more material. Sand a little (a very little), buff a little, reassemble and test, repeat until fixed.

I've uploaded a couple more pictures. Polish all the colored areas and the red area should have some rounding to it. Thats the best macro picture I can do with my current lens, hope it helps.

Psa1m144
December 23, 2011, 11:47 PM
I'm worried that if I tamper with the extractor and it doesn't fix the issue, they will say that this is somehow my fault and they won't pay for shipping and/or repair. I think I will suck it up and send it back in :(. Maybe if I'm lucky I can talk them into just sending me a new extractor for free.

You can kind of see in this picture where they attempted to bevel it.

NWcityguy2
December 24, 2011, 12:43 AM
Well at the end of the day it is a $21 part.

http://shopruger.com/KVS01422-SR40-SR40c-Ejector-Aluminum/productinfo/63030/

For sure stop removing metal from the hook part. Look where my picture is red, if anything needs to be removed, and it might not, it will probably need to come off there. Before you remove anything else polish all that area to a smooth mirror finish. Test it and see if that solves your problem.

Psa1m144
December 24, 2011, 01:15 AM
I haven't removed anything, Ruger did all of that when I sent it in.

NWcityguy2
December 24, 2011, 01:20 AM
This is just me saying this but I doubt Ruger took a picture to document exactly how the extractor looked before they sent it back to you. Give it a polish and if it still doesn't work and you send it back to them, just say thats what they did last time they had it.

skunkape57
December 27, 2011, 08:19 PM
I had the same problem with my new BSR40C wouldn't chamber a round, if it did it would hang up and the top slide wouldn't close all the way. I have read the posts on here, so i said hmm, send it back to Ruger and wait 6 weeks, nah! I started thinking about this, so I field stripped it down and looked at the feed ramp on the barrel, the casting looks like Ruger should have their quality control send it back to have someone wire wheel polish it up. Don't get me wrong. Love Ruger! (buy American firearms and ammo) so I took some 600, 1500 and 2000 grit sand paper and polished up the feed ramp and the other parts that i thought needed it, came out nice and smooth/shiny. I also remover the extractor and did the same thing on the business end of it, like the one city guy posted (thanks city), cleaned everything with gun cleaner, blew it all out with air, oiled everything up and put it all back together, loaded it, and went to rack a round, hung up, no say it ain't so! i looked at the round and it was hung up on the striker fire firing pin the was protruding out. Hmm, i remember to field strip the O&M manuel says to make sure the trigger is pushed all the way forward, I removed the mag and cleared the round, the trigger was in the fired, spend position, so I pushed the trigger forward, slapped in the mag and racked a round, success! I have shot 200 round since, not 1 problem, so was it all the trigger position or was it that and the rough casting, don't know for sure but it functions perfect, love the gun, thanks Ruger!

Hope this helps!!

joeyl
December 27, 2011, 11:12 PM
Did you test your other magazines, might have a bad one or two? If the lips are a little too far apart or barely in spec with a rough chamber/feed ramp. (as already suggested) might cause that type of jam IMHO. Try asking for a new extractor. Ruger has sent small parts out to me for free before. Especially since your trouble ticket mentioned they "fixed" it.

ohwell
December 28, 2011, 01:09 AM
Check for a part number on your extractor 1422 is what should be stamped on it. Some SR40C's may have went out with SR9C extractors.

NWcityguy2
December 28, 2011, 08:31 AM
Both his extractor and mine (from my SR9c) are stamped 1420.

ohwell
December 28, 2011, 11:13 AM
Looking at the pictures I would say he has the wrong extractor call Ruger tell them your extractor is for an SR9C not an SR40C because it has an SR9C part number (1420). Tell them it should be part number 1422 ask them to send you a replacement, they should along with a self addressed return envelope for the old one.

Psa1m144
December 28, 2011, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the input, I will call Ruger today and see what they say about the extractor. It would be really nice if they just send me one for free instead of having to be without my gun for 4-6 weeks. Having an extractor built for a smaller cartridge definitely explains the problem! I'll let you guys know what they say.

Psa1m144
December 28, 2011, 03:10 PM
Just got off the phone with Ruger and they are sending me a new extractor for free. It should be here by Monday or Tuesday :D

NWcityguy2
December 28, 2011, 03:15 PM
Oh the irony, a perfectly functional part thats in the wrong gun. I'm glad someone finally noticed that, it didn't even cross my mind that after QC and CS looking at it something like that would happen.

Psa1m144
December 28, 2011, 03:32 PM
Agreed, I can't believe that they took it apart...spent time beveling and polishing and still didn't notice it. I guess that's why we have THR. Not only that, but they said they test fired 60 rounds, baloney.

Sicari
December 28, 2011, 03:35 PM
If indeed Ruger had to test-fire your pistol 60x to troubleshoot, it suggests to me that the pistol might be a poor DESIGN.
I'm also surprised that Ruger would admit to so many test shots.

Lateck
December 29, 2011, 11:58 AM
Sicari,
POOR design???????
There have been VERY FEW SR40 issues...Most have been so good that the pistol is boring....

To the OP; sorry to hear about your problems but I am sure Ruger will get it right.
Mine has been flawless...

Lateck,

Psa1m144
December 29, 2011, 12:16 PM
The SR40c is by far my favorite handgun, out-performing my Glock 22c in accuracy, recoil management, natural point-of-aim, grip feels like it was custom molded for my hand and all this in a smaller package. Once the feeding issues have been resolved it will be my EDC. IMHO it was not of poor design but quite the opposite, very well made pistol that fits my needs perfectly. I can't wait to shoot it after I get the new extractor.

NWcityguy2
December 29, 2011, 06:18 PM
The irony of his argument is that the design must be poor if Ruger needed to fire 60 test rounds in it, which they most likely didn't and wouldn't have needed to had you gun been sporting the correct extractor. Just a troll comment IMO.

Okie45
December 30, 2011, 04:40 AM
So they shot 4 mags of ammo, a box of ammo +10. That doesn't seem like a whole lot to me. I would rather hear they shot 60 rounds than have them tell me, "we shot 1 round through the gun, it worked." If anyone knows anything about troubleshooting, they would know you don't always get it fixed the first time, no matter how good you are. Now if they would just bring out a Sr45c.

Glad to hear the problem was solved.

JohnGibson
December 30, 2011, 04:42 AM
I'm no expert but just reading this thread makes me want to stay way from the SR line. How could a company put in a part for a different gun it was design for and not know it? How could a company state that they test fired 60 rounds and everything was fine when the extractor was the problem and was never changed out to begin with? Then again I don't want ton jinx anything and when the extractor is changed out and it still jams. Can a gun be lemon?

On another note I have shot a Ruger SR40 at the range.

Psa1m144
December 30, 2011, 02:52 PM
Now if they would just bring out a Sr45c.
That would be awesome!

skunkape57
January 7, 2012, 01:33 PM
my is the same as well sr9 extractor, ruger is mailing me out the correct part!

Thanks for the tips!

Psa1m144
January 8, 2012, 08:54 PM
You may have to call them and remind them to send it. Mine was supposed to be here on Tuesday, I waited until Thursday to call and they told me that it was getting sent out "today" (thurs). It took them a week just to put it in the mail. It better be here tomorrow...

I'm glad you were able to catch the problem with yours(hopefully sooner than I did), unfortunately that means there are more people out there with the same issue.

Mike J
January 8, 2012, 09:06 PM
Psalm 144 please let us know how it does once you get it swapped out.

Psa1m144
January 8, 2012, 10:00 PM
If it gets here tomorrow I'll have time to install it and shoot 100 rounds or so. I will post after I get a chance to test it out.

Psa1m144
January 9, 2012, 11:43 PM
[11:00am]Extractor got here today. As you can see in the image below, the label has the correct part number ...1422. The extractor it self still has the stamp "1420." Either Ruger has completely lost it and sent me the WRONG part or both the SR9 and SR40 have the same number stamped on the extractor and it only differs on paper. I installed the new extractor and cycled 4 full mags of ammo through it without a hiccup, this is no substitute for actual fire but with the old extractor it would jam about 30% of the time when doing this. I am taking a trip to the range in a few hours to test it out with 4 different types of ammo. If it does work then it is possible that the old extractor was not the wrong part but simply a bad part.

[7:35pm] I test fired the SR40c as planned. There were no failures to feed with any of the ammo used. HOWEVER....The gun did have 2 failures to eject. It happened with a different brand of ammo each time. It was not a stovepipe but rather a complete failure, the casing was left in the chamber and the new round was brought up right behind it. I am going to call Ruger tomorrow morning and sort out this whole part number issue and see if I got the wrong extractor again. Other than the 2 FTE's (which may just be coincidental) the gun ran better than it did before so I guess it's not a total loss :confused: :(

Jim NE
January 10, 2012, 12:31 AM
Psa1m144. I'm impressed with both your patience and composure. I've had problems with a new Sigma recently, and it's tempting to just get rid of it. But my problems are ALMOST resolved at this point, so it makes sense to let the manufacturer sweat the details, not me. I know it's frustrating, though.

I anxiously await your updates, as I have a brand new sr9c which I haven't shot yet.

lyrikz
January 10, 2012, 11:46 AM
Psalm, its the ones that give you the most troubles you seem to fall in love with. I would as for a replacement if thats an option.

Psa1m144
January 10, 2012, 04:37 PM
I'm in the middle of a back n forth with Ruger trying to figure out what the issue is with the extractors. The woman on the phone is telling me that none of their extractors have the #s 1420 or 1422 stamped on them, I just emailed her several pictures to prove otherwise.

As you can see in the picture, there are obvious differences in the areas that are circled. I am certain that this is causing the issue although I lack the gunsmithing ability to fix it myself I believe.

The extractor on the left is having the FTE's and the one on the right is have the failure to feed.

Psa1m144
January 10, 2012, 04:41 PM
Ruger received my email with the pictures and she said that a tech reviewed the pictures and determined that I do have the correct part, somehow there is a curve that differs from an sr9. Anyways.... the saga continues! She is emailing me a label so that I can send the gun back in... I'm going to go play Modern Warfare 3 where my guns never jam.

skunkape57
January 11, 2012, 05:57 AM
I had the same problem with the 1420 extractor in my 40, so the tech at ruger sent me another 1420 after I requested the proper 1422?? Ihave not changed it of course, shot 200 rounds through last weekend, not one single jamb! the tech at ruger also said that it just needed breaking in and would quit jambing, hmm maybe he was right, I had this problem with a few semi autos over the years when they were new, I called ruger last evening, the WOMAN i talked to said she couldn't answer the question if the 1420 is suppose to fit both the 9 and 40 but she didn't think so, all the techs that could answer that were at the shooting range?? I told her if they are not then someone needs to get fired for sending us out the 1420 instead of the proper 1422! So they are going to call me today, I don't think I need to change the extractor anymore as the pistol works flawlessly, and adjusted my sights, wow is this baby accurate, simply love it! I still want an answer on the extractor though!

skunkape57
January 11, 2012, 01:20 PM
Ruger called me back and said they researched the problem and there seems to a problem with there part numbers, They said that the new number will be 1430 and they are sending me a new one. I will let you know how this works out!!

Psa1m144
January 11, 2012, 01:21 PM
They told me that both the 9 and 40 have 1420 stamped on the extractor for some dumb reason, the only thing that differs is a slight curvature somewhere along the extractor. I personally can't tell the difference. I like how they gave us different answers... :cuss:

You are right though, these pistols are super accurate. I would have given up on this gun a long time ago if it wasn't for several qualities that I really love.

Bnuggetz
January 15, 2012, 07:01 PM
Wooooow

From the stars

skunkape57
January 16, 2012, 06:09 AM
woohoo! my new extractor has arrived, I have a BSR40C and Ruger knows this you have to give them the model # and the serial # for them to be able to send out a new part. with that said, they sent me out a SR40 (silver) 1430extractor, again, mine is a BSR40C B as in black, (good help is hard to find) at first i was pissed but after examining it compared to the 1420 it seems to me to be a little thicker, the profile is exactly the same just more heavy duty, really can't be 100% sure without running some calibers on it, so i installed it and you know what, I like how the silver looks on my black gun, the barrel is silver and now the extractor is, really gives it some unique contrast, OK went out back and shot 10 rounds through it, not one problem, but as you know it was functioning properly with the 1420 in it, was getting dark, will shoot more today. will send Ruger back one of the 1420's i have.
Still love the pistol and how it shoots,

PS love my mini 14 LE patrol rifle as well, 80 yards with old eyes (glasses) and iron sites i can hit, (don't know all that group, moa lingo) a coke can 4 out of five, plenty accurate for me.

nwroadie
January 29, 2012, 10:31 AM
I've had a few of these same issues with my new SR40c as well, I'd like to check the part number on my extractor, but can't figure out how to remove it; can somebody give me some tips?

Thanks

Psa1m144
January 29, 2012, 11:43 AM
We discussed the removal on the first page of this thread. There is 1 pin that holds the extractor. You use a hammer/punch and drive it from bottom to top(inside of the slide to the outside). Don't lose the spring that will come out and don't damage the sights. There are pictures on page 1 as well.

nwroadie
January 29, 2012, 12:22 PM
Yep, that's what I've been doing, I can get the pin to move a fraction upwards, but not enough to release the extractor, just thought there might be a little trick that I'm missing

Psa1m144
January 29, 2012, 10:16 PM
Try pressing on the extractor a little bit while tapping with the punch, the pin may be catching on it. The spring is applying constant force on the extractor pushing it outwards, a little pressure against the spring while tapping with the punch should solve the issue.

Mike J
January 29, 2012, 10:39 PM
Psalm 144-Did Ruger ever get your issues resolved?

smitty704
January 29, 2012, 11:49 PM
Wow!!! Ruger needs to get their part numbers straight.

Sorry to hear about your issues with your SR40c. I own an LCP and I has been flawless for right at 207 rounds on the dot. Ruger makes some great guns, but just like every gun maker sometimes the may have a lemon leave the factory. I hope they make it right for you, FAST!

Good luck.

Psa1m144
January 30, 2012, 12:00 AM
They have my gun right now, I should get it back in a couple weeks...hopefully sooner. I call them 1-2 times a week for an update. Last time I called they said it was waiting to be worked on, haven't started yet. I'm going to check with them tomorrow.

nwroadie
January 30, 2012, 09:21 PM
Thanks Psa1m114, apply a little pressure allowed the extractor pin to pop out....and sure enough, what did I find, but the 1420 extractor and not the 1422

Psa1m144
January 30, 2012, 10:08 PM
No surprise there. Call them and see if they will send you a new one for free. Hopefully you won't need to send the gun in. It's a PAIN not being able to use the gun you just bought. Let us know what happens.

Psa1m144
January 31, 2012, 02:57 PM
Just got off the phone with Ruger. The technicians are working on it right now. They said the slide may need to be replaced.

tdstout
January 31, 2012, 03:20 PM
Wow, after all of that, now they're going to replace the slide. I was thinking about buying one of these pistols, but after reading all of this I'm starting to have second thoughts.

Psa1m144
January 31, 2012, 09:58 PM
I was thinking about buying one of these pistols, but after reading all of this I'm starting to have second thoughts.

Don't let my experience change your mind. The problem I'm having with this gun is very rare, a very large majority of individuals have had no issues with their sr40c. As with any manufacturer and any model of firearm there will always be defects in some of them. Even with all the problems I've had, I still love the gun and I can't wait to get it back.

skunkape57
February 1, 2012, 05:17 AM
well, I don't think ruger techs know what their doing as much as a gun owner with common sense, well maybe a few do, I was having all that trouble with mine when it was new, one tech told me it just had to be broken it, i think he was right, because after about 300 rounds with the 9 extractor it was firing flawlessly, i now have the 1430, which the say is the right extractor, replaces the 1422, and still shooting perfect, I love this pistol, and accurate! wow, took a little sight adjusting to fine tune it, i would buy it again in a minute!! just saying!! Great firearm Ruger, just need smarted techs.

nwroadie
February 1, 2012, 08:57 AM
Well, I spoke with Ruger yesterday and was told that the 1420 vs. 1422 part numbers on the extractor really have no bearing on the function of the gun and are not the culprit for the failure to feed issues. (the tech I spoke with even told me that she had received several calls recently about these part numbers) End result is that my pistol is in a box heading back for a little sunshine vacation in Arizona to be looked at; hopefully in 10-15 working days I'll have it back by my side, good to go!

To tdstout: I think this is an anomaly for Ruger, I have a full size SR9 that has functioned flawlessly right out of the box and even with the issues I've had with my 40, the gun has been highly accurate and makes a great every day carry, I wouldn't let this thread dissuade you.

ohwell
February 1, 2012, 05:06 PM
As much as I like my Ruger's and the Ruger company itself that tech is blowing smoke. There are roughly 8 parts that are different from the SR9C to the SR40C. Thats off the top of my head without getting the manual and parts list back out. The extractor is one of them and parts numbers are listed. You can also go to Shop Ruger dot com and order the spare parts for both guns and they have different part numbers and ARE different. I have both guns.

Psa1m144
February 8, 2012, 07:07 PM
Just spoke with Ruger. They are sending my gun back finally, should have it early next week. They replaced the slide. Now here is where I am not sure if I should be upset or happy. They test fired the gun 200 times! They claim to have had no malfunctions, not sure if I believe them because last time they "test fired it 60 times," it jammed up after the 4th shot for me. I am very close to giving up on this gun, it better be FLAWLESS.

skunkape57
February 9, 2012, 04:51 AM
I keep telling you that you have to break it in, work through 200 rounds yourself, keep a little oil handy to give a shot on the slide and feed ramp once you have gotten 200 rounds throughit wil be flawless, I know mine is and I love it!

thefamcnaj
February 9, 2012, 08:21 AM
I had the same exact same problem with my Sr40c. I had to send it back to Ruger. I got it back in three weeks. It's ran flawless upon its return. They replaced the exstractor and fired 40 rounds through it.
Rugers customer service is the only reason I'm a repeat customer of theirs. Of the 4 Rugers I have, three of them had to go back. However all three times the guns returned running perfectly. Rugers cs is the best in the gun industry imo.

Psa1m144
February 9, 2012, 12:34 PM
I keep telling you that you have to break it in
Perhaps you should read the whole thread before making suggestions.

BP Hunter
February 9, 2012, 02:41 PM
Psa1m,

You are one patient son of a gun...

I am actaully excited to see how your gun shoots when you get it back. PLEASE let us know.

kenjabroni
February 10, 2012, 04:07 PM
Wow. This is amazing. I purchased a SR40c on December 31st and have been to the range every week since and its been a champ. I love the way it shoots and ive never (knock on wood) had any issues with it firing or ejecting.

Hope it works out great when you get it back Psalm

nwroadie
February 16, 2012, 09:21 AM
Psa1m144,
Any update, have you gotten your pistol back from Ruger yet?

I spoke to customer service and mine was with a tech and they expected it to be shipped back next week, really looking forward to seeing if they replaced the extractor or not.

Psa1m144
February 16, 2012, 09:28 PM
The gun arrived today and the tech notes state that they replaced the slide and the extractor then fired 200 rounds with no malfunctions. I put 150 rounds through it since I got it back and there have been no feeding or extracting issues.

nwroadie
February 23, 2012, 01:41 AM
Should be getting mine back from Ruger tomorrow, heading straight to the range, will report back.

nwroadie
February 23, 2012, 10:40 PM
As promised, Ruger sent my .40 back to me today and straight to the range I went. While unpacking everything I noticed that the first note from the Tech was that they had replaced the extractor and test fired a total of 30 round using both the 9 and 15 round mags without failure.

I only had time for 50rnds, so I wasn't concerned with groupings, I was only interested in pulling the trigger and having it go bang every time. Much to my pleasure, this is exactly what happened, both rapid and slow fire; each round fired as it should, ejected as it should, fed as it should.

Now for the curious parts

When I got home, I set about completely stripping it to give it a thorough cleaning and the first thing I noticed was the extractor had in fact been changed, changed to a new part # not yet discussed in this thread, the original was the 1420, it was replaced with part # 1430. The strangest part and the one I can't quite confirm, is that I think they even replaced the slide; I had over 500rnds thru it when I sent it in which showed some scuffing on the various parts that touch....now it all looks relatively unused??

Regardless, everything seems to work fine and my faith has again returned to 100% in Ruger.

skunkape57
February 24, 2012, 04:41 AM
I posted a while back that ruger sent me a 1430 matter of fact they sent me two one black and one silver, since I have the bsrI installed the silver and i like how it looks, dresses it up a little, as for the extractor, after breaking in my firearm it worked perfect with the 1420 ( 9mm extractor which it came with) as well as the 1430 which is the new part # for the 40. So i would again suggest that any new sr40c owners try breaking in their weapon before sending it back to ruger, might save you some time and aggravation!

Psa1m144
February 24, 2012, 04:43 PM
Glad to hear that your gun is working nwroadie. I haven't checked my extractor to see if it's 1430, but it probably is because it works :)

Pietro Beretta
February 24, 2012, 05:06 PM
Good to hear they finally solved the problem, sounds like the techs their needed a bit more communication concerning the extractor issue; which hopefully is resolved.

Its hard to find good help in Prescott, I lived their for a couple of years. ;), that was a joke!! Just Kidding.

nwroadie
February 24, 2012, 07:31 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty happy about it all so far, I still need to put a couple hundred more rounds through it before I'll feel it's 100% reliable, but yesterday's short session (without issue) went a long way towards that.

exavid
February 25, 2012, 12:03 AM
My SR9 and SR40c have been faultless but I did have a problem with my LC9. It dropped the magazine every few shots. I sent it to Ruger and got it back with a new firing pin and firing pin spring along with a new magazine latch. Don't know why they replaced the firing pin and its spring since the gun never had a problem other than the latch. Once I got it back with the notation that they'd fired 30 rounds of Black Hills ammo with no problem. When I got it back I took it to the range and it was still dropping the mag. I tried firing right handed as well as my normal left hand to see if I was hitting the mag release and had a couple other guys there fire the gun. It dropped the mag on all of us. At home I took the pistol completely apart to get the magazine latch out and found out it had a poorly cast latch. The part of the latch that catches the magazine had a downward taper when it should have been level. A few minutes with a Dremel diamond bit and voila, everything now works as it should have. I did call Ruger back before doing surgery on my pistol and request another mag latch and spring which they said they'd do. I have seven ruger pistols, LCP, LC9, SR9, SR22, SR40c and P345 and other than the magazine latch problem they all have performed excellently, are totally reliable and accurate. Ruger will make their guns right if one has a problem but sometimes it takes more than one attempt. Odds are you'll get a good one but if you have one that has a problem don't give up, these are all good guns.

If you enjoyed reading about "First time out with the SR40c" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!