New toy

PDA

rikman
November 7, 2011, 01:08 PM
I bought a stainless steel dial caliper on sale at Grafs. I must admit I avoided them at first because of little experience with them. I have a very nice digital,Mitutoyo. But, I am really enjoying these, very accurate and fun. I don't have to worry about turning on or off. I'm measuring all kinds of stuff with them. I feel like a kid on xmas morning lol:)

If you enjoyed reading about "New toy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Smokey Joe
November 7, 2011, 01:58 PM
Rikman--I've always used a dial caliper. My current one is from Dillon, but made in China. I like that you can see between the thousandths on the dial, whereas with a digital, it's either x number of thousandths, or the next number--No in between. Other than that, and as you observed, having to turn the digital on & off and feed it batteries, there's not much difference IMHO.

Did you have a question or something?

rikman
November 7, 2011, 02:02 PM
Hey Joe,

Thanks for your post. No questions. I've gotten to like the "dial" after getting a few other tools,concentricity gauge,instant indicator. I was surprised how much I like the dial calipers.

Uniquedot
November 7, 2011, 02:16 PM
Dial calipers are the only ones i have owned and used. It was 20 + years before i would even try a digital scale.

mdi
November 7, 2011, 03:27 PM
I too, prefer dial calipers. For the firsy 12 years out of school I was a machine operator/machinist and used measuring tools many times a day. When electrionic digital mics and calipers came out I wanted to try them so I bought one caliper. Seems like nearly every time I wanted to use it the batteries needed cleaning or replacing and I got to where I was double checking the measurements with a dial caliper anyway. I guess I didn't trust some numbers appearing in a readout. Plus you can't get them wet. Sometimes I would clean the parts to be measured in solvent and dip my mics in too (Brown & Sharpe 1" mic, Craftsman depth mic, or Mitatoyo thread mic), but can't do that with a digital...

Blue68f100
November 7, 2011, 11:48 PM
I'm still using a 30yr Dial Calipers by Sterret #120. Nothing wrong with them no batteries to worry about and easy to read. I have a set of Micrometers top but prefer the calipers for reloading.

Hondo 60
November 8, 2011, 12:29 AM
I bought a cheap digital calipers on eBay 3 years ago.
I've replaced the battery once.
It reads to 1/10,000 of an inch.
10,000ths is close enough for me, so I don't care that I'm not getting that in between thing.

Don't mean to be a show off or spoil sport. :scrutiny:

Smokey Joe
November 8, 2011, 01:06 AM
Hondo--Are you SURE it reads to 1/10,000" and not 1/1,000" ? I have never seen any caliper that claimed to be accurate to that degree, digital or dial or vernier.

A micrometer, of course, but not a simple caliper.

If yours does read to that accuracy, I'd be interested in knowing what brand it is and how to obtain one. And if it's that accurate I don't quite see how it could be called cheap--accuracy in measurement is like accuracy in a rifle: You gets what you pays for, normally.

No showoffs nor spoilsports here, BTW--You're just stating your experience in this particular area. As many members as THR has, it'd be quite a surprise if there was unanimity in anything besides that Amerc brass stinks for reloading purposes.

Fishslayer
November 8, 2011, 02:24 AM
I started out with dial calipers and when cheap digitals came out I was all over 'em! I like dials for when I want a visual +/- indication but for things like measuring OAL I'll go digital every time.

LOL. At the last place I worked the company had a really nice Mitutoyo digital caliper for us techs to use. The other guys were always coming over to borrow my $10 Harbor Freight because they kept leaving the Mitutoyo on & killing the battery. My cheap caliper has an auto "Off" feature. :D

Hondo--Are you SURE it reads to 1/10,000" and not 1/1,000" ? I have never seen any caliper that claimed to be accurate to that degree, digital or dial or vernier.

Most of the digital calipers I've seen read to 5 tenths.

1SOW
November 8, 2011, 09:24 PM

My digital caliper reads to "nearest" .0005".
EG:
.oo12 reads .0010"
.0013 reads .0015"
.0018 reads .0020

If you enjoyed reading about "New toy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!