Primer tool question...

PDA

TexasShooter59
November 7, 2011, 08:14 PM
I see the following tools available for prepping primers:

uniformers
reamers
cleaners

What is the difference between these different tools? I have assumptions, but they're just that.

If you enjoyed reading about "Primer tool question..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
November 7, 2011, 08:19 PM
The names are pretty much self-explanatory.

Uniformers make all pockets the same uniform depth.

Reamers ream, especially things like burs and military crimps.

Cleaners ahhhh ----- well you get the idea!

rc

Jasper1573
November 7, 2011, 08:22 PM
+1 for rcmodel

I use a reamer to remove mil crimp on mil surplus brass.

I use a pocket cleaner because I am anal ;0)

Don't use the uniformer.

TexasShooter59
November 7, 2011, 09:18 PM
Thanks a lot! :cool:

northark147
November 7, 2011, 10:59 PM
I use a uniformer as a cleaner most of the time.

beatledog7
November 7, 2011, 11:25 PM
A related item is a flash hole uniformer/reamer, which removes "punch" burrs from the flash hole, also known as the vent, and makes them all the same size. I use this only for rifle and magnum handgun brass. I've never used a primer pocket uniformer but do use a reamer to remove crimps and a cleaner to remove ash from the pocket.

USSR
November 8, 2011, 08:01 AM
I use a uniformer as a cleaner most of the time.

+1. Never saw the need for a separate primer pocket cleaning tool, when a couple of "twists" of the uniformer cleans it up.

Don

MtnCreek
November 8, 2011, 01:47 PM
uniformers
Check specs before using. I bought a uniformer that was out of spec, removing too much material from the pocket. It was either RCBS or Lyman, don't remember which.

+1 on the flash hole uniformer. Unless you're using high quality brass, the flash hole uniformer will make a noticable difference.

TexasShooter59
November 8, 2011, 08:59 PM
I do use the flash hole tool. I don't use the high end brass, so every case I've used this on has had some burrs removed.

I use the primer hole uniformer (Lyman orange handle) for cleaning and sometimes I can tell it makes the hole a tiny bit deeper to the set depth. I have not had any problems with high, or even flush, primers. The primer hole is mostly cleaned out by tumbling in the SS media.

For removing crimps, I use the inside/outside chamfering tool that is used on the case necks. A couple of twists usually takes care of them.

I wondered if any of the tools mentioned in my first post would make life any easier. Based on what you guys have said in your responses, it does not sound like it. Thanks for your replies!

If you enjoyed reading about "Primer tool question..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!