3 gun match

PDA

MonkeyMan
January 28, 2003, 12:12 PM
An IDPA buddy has convinced me to give 3-gun a try. Just out of curiosity, what do you folks shoot that shoot in production class? Guns and ammo.

Thanks.
Stay safe.

If you enjoyed reading about "3 gun match" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Wakal
January 28, 2003, 01:31 PM
STI 6" .40, 4.8 Accurate number 2 under a 180 JHP

Colt HBAR, 55gr Wolf

Winchester SX2, Win 3 3/4 dram 7 or Win reduced recoil 00, or Federal reduced recoil 1 oz. slugs

Alex

Correia
January 28, 2003, 06:33 PM
Kimber Poly 1911.
Remington 870.
L1a1.

Chris Rhines
January 28, 2003, 08:24 PM
CZ-75.
Imbel STG-58 with Inch safety and a few other tweaks.
Whatever shotgun I can borrow, usually Dan's Benelli Nova.

- Chris

Captal_de_Buch
January 28, 2003, 08:58 PM
Glock 17
Remington 870
Bushmaster

glockster96
January 28, 2003, 09:10 PM
Man, some of those guns don't sound like production.;)

Glock 35 135 gr. Montana Gold Reloads
Colt Carbine PMP or Winchester or Sellier and Bellot
Benelli M1S90 Whatever I can find for cheap in #6 shot and slug

Good luck and have fun! 3 gun matches are by far the most fun competitions out there IMHO.:)

MonkeyMan
January 29, 2003, 08:01 AM
Thanks for the replies, folks. Now for another question. What sort of gear do you use to hold all of this ammo? I won't have the chance to watch a 3 gun match before the one comes up in February that I want to shoot so I'm trying to get my ducks in a row. My battery will be a Taurus PT-99, an SKS, and a Brolin pump SG. I figure the SG will give me the most trouble as it's only got a 4 round tube on it. I'm sure there's better choices out there but I don't own them.:D

Thanks again from a future 3 gun fan.

Correia
January 29, 2003, 09:29 AM
Use whatever feels comfortable for you.

With the 4 shot tube on your shot gun you are going to want some form of good shell carrier. Like a solid bandoleer, or one of those shell caddys that you can hook to your belt. Practice loading your shotgun fast. I see that kill more people's times than anything with the shotgun.

Good holster is a must. Floppy fabric holsters will kill you time wise.

I think www.3gungear.com has the best stuff. For holsters I like www.range5.com

lmccrock
January 30, 2003, 10:47 AM
MonkeyMan,
To start, use your IDPA stuff. If all else fails, hang a bag from your belt for the spare shotgun shells. I have seen guys run courses and drop shells from belt loops, Sidesaddles, etc. So, just be safe.

So far, I have shot local, non-affiliated matches. The shotgun targets have been steel plates or poppers at close (though safe) ranges. Some published courses show longer range poppers to knock down, and I am pretty sure my 20" cylinder bore Mossberg 590 will not pattern well enough to knock them down. While it has relatively high capacity (8+1), the top shooters use a choke narrower than cylinder bore. I keep thinking I need a new shotgun, and the Winchester Super X2 Practical looks good; its a semi-auto. It would allow me to miss much faster than I do now. ;) So, I will practice more with the pump.

At my local matches, they often make the courses 4+1 friendly, so you never know.

Lee

3 gun
February 1, 2003, 06:58 AM
Para 16-40LTD with +2 bases. Fobus gear. Blazer 180grFMJ.
SA M1a with a Millet Redot SP1 scope. GI 2 mag web gear. Tanner sling. Port surplus,150gr FMJ ammo.
Remington 1100 12ga with +5 mag and speed gate. GI 12 rd web gear for ammo. Mod choke with 1oz #6 shells. Cheap nylon loop sling when needed.

This works in the open class. To run production I use standard mags in the Para, remove the scope from the M1a, and remove the +5 on the 1100.

Wilhelm
February 10, 2003, 02:17 AM
That actually sounds like a TON o' fun. Where can I find info on the rules for that. I dont remember seeing that on the IDPA site.

Wilhelm

If you enjoyed reading about "3 gun match" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!