Tikka M695 .280 and need scope/rings advice for it

PDA

JamesCummins
November 10, 2011, 11:04 AM
I have a brand new 280 Tikka and need to equip it with a scope. I would like to be fairly accurate to 400-500 yards. So I either want to get a scope with a BDC reticle or a scope that takes a turret. I dont know much about turrets, but I do have a Nikon Monarch with a BDC and am somewhat familiar with how they work..... Anyways, I have my eye on a Vortex Viper 6.5 - 20 x 50 because I could either get the BDC reticle or, buy a turret straight from vortex that I know will fit it. Also, I am reluctanct to buy rings until I have the scope in hand because I am not sure what the height will need to be (and, I may have a 30 mm tube). Talley rings have been recommended to me, but I cant seem to find something that may work from thier website. Any advice would be much appreciated, Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "Tikka M695 .280 and need scope/rings advice for it" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
LoonWulf
November 10, 2011, 01:28 PM
If you can find out the actual size of the objective you can call talley, and they will likely be able to give you a guess at what ring you need. That seems like a seriously heavy scope for that rifle, were you hunting or just popping targets?

MachIVshooter
November 10, 2011, 09:35 PM
That seems like a seriously heavy scope for that rifle

I concur.

For a .280 hunting rifle, 3-9x, 3.5-10x, 4-12x, 4.5-14x, 4-16x. I wouldn't want something with a low setting of 6x or more for use in the field.

You can get a Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x 40mm for about the same coin as that Votex (better scope, too). You don't need a 50mm objective, and 40mm will allow you to mount closer to bore centerline (always desireable)

You do not need a 30mm tube, either. If they were so fantastic, 1" wouldn't even be an option. They have a place on high magnification scopes to increase FOV, but otherwise just extra $$ for the glass and the rings.

I've played with a lot of scopes on a lot of guns, with prices ranging from $30 to over $1k. After all these years, I stick with Leupold and higher end Weaver, Nikon and Bushnell, and except for varmint/target guns, they're all between a 2-7x and 4.5-14x, and all 1" tubes. My only 30mm is on my .50 (a 6-24x). That Leupold I recommended is an absolutely perfect fit for a .280 hunting rifle, and won't look like you've attached a gun to your scope.

35 Whelen
November 10, 2011, 09:59 PM
That seems like a seriously heavy scope for that rifle, were you hunting or just popping targets?

My old Ruger .280 has a Burris 3-9X40 and easily groups under 1" or less at 100 with most any load and I'd not feel the least bit handicapped with a 2-7x33. But then again it's a true hunting rifle in every sense.

If you're just target shooting and won't be lugging the rifle over yon hill and dale, then I suppose the bigger scopes would be O.K., but for just hunting, they seem a bit much.

Good luck with your choice.

35W

If you enjoyed reading about "Tikka M695 .280 and need scope/rings advice for it" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!